Business Class.....Ear Plugs Required

theblether

]Was on a flight once and two Thai women had a Thai kid sitting between them, well, we had 13 hours of shit, and the guy in front of them must have arrived in UK with bruises on his head, the women said absolutely nothing to the kid and my mrs was fuming that Thais were showing Thais up. sad.png

Orange juice has a LOT to answer for IMHO.

\You know the old Scottish cure for a whining kid, a wee tot of whisky in their milk knocks them clean out.....I was tempted. biggrin.png

Blether if you hate screaming kids so much, why do you have a pic of one as your avatar? I also hate screaming kids on long haul by the way.

My avatar is of a baby pondering the meaning of life.......can you point me in the direction of people that like screaming kids? I'll tip off the police. coffee1.gif

The Fin might have also been pondering the meaning of life over a few glasses of 'Finlandia' because he was also pissed off with the noise.

To be fair to him, he works in the oil trade in Brazil, he had flown 15 hours with Emirates to Dubai, and this was round two............he has an apartment in Jomtien and he works one month on, one month off......he was unwinding but he was taking it too far.

Having done the same thing a couple of times last year i can well understand, it's a hell of a long flight. No need to get out of order though, but sometimes we do.

• Like 1

Why kids in business ? Should be banned. Kids should be put in a capsule then opened on arrival. thumbsup.gif

I fly business quite a bit to avoid screaming brats but on flights in the Middle East many misbehaved kids are in business.

Jackpot!!!.......it was a Middle Eastern kid,...now I'm a bit concerned about bringing that issue up, I think there is a cultural thing at play here, these kids appear to get no control imposed on them whasoever.

i agree with you there. i just stepped out to my local 7 to find 2 Arab kids about 4 years old opening all the tipco juices and poking their fingers in.

Parents are conversing at a howl 2 meters away.

I live very near soi 3, so i see them in that 7 plenty, and an odd culture they are.

As for business class, i have to agree i flew it more when the company was paying and before the kiid started travelling with me.

it is true that business class is no longer 'all that' though. If you have high expectations, its got to be first. thank heaven for air miles.

oh, and to be clear, i too am single, i am not nor have i ever been married. the kid is about as much as i can take, though i wouldn't be without her.

Edited by nocturn

Why kids in business ? Should be banned. Kids should be put in a capsule then opened on arrival. thumbsup.gif

I fly business quite a bit to avoid screaming brats but on flights in the Middle East many misbehaved kids are in business.

Jackpot!!!.......it was a Middle Eastern kid,...now I'm a bit concerned about bringing that issue up, I think there is a cultural thing at play here, these kids appear to get no control imposed on them whasoever.

i agree with you there. i just stepped out to my local 7 to find 2 Arab kids about 4 years old opening all the tipco juices and poking their fingers in.

Parents are conversing at a howl 2 meters away.

I live very near soi 3, so i see them in that 7 plenty, and an odd culture they are.

As for business class, i have to agree i flew it more when the company was paying and before the kiid started travelling with me.

it is true that business class is no longer 'all that' though. If you have high expectations, its got to be first. thank heaven for air miles.

oh, and to be clear, i too am single, i am not nor have i ever been married. the kid is about as much as i can take, though i wouldn't be without her.

It ceratinly isnt anything special most of the time.

Ive had bad service too and considering its about 4 times the cost of economy it really isnt worth it anymore.

Emirates stopped issuing goody bags a few years ago then changed their flyer program so its now rubbish, staff forgot to put us in the business gate at Dubai once for boarding then asked us why we hadnt got on first, it wasnt just me it was ALL business passengers on that day.

Ive had my seat not able to fully recline a tv that wouldnt stay up and never got any satisfaction, changed aircraft without telling me from A 380 to 777 which was crap and I had particularly booked to be on the A380 and paid more for it.

Emirates..............never got a decent response from them.

Try Malaysian Airlines who have banned children under 12 from the upper deck of the A380 which operates

between Heathrow-Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia Airlines responds, back-pedals

However, in a statement subsequently issued by MAS, the airline said "where there is overwhelming demand for seats in economy class from families with children and infants, resulting in (a) full load in the main deck, we will still accommodate such demand in the 70-seat upper deck economy class zone of our A380."

Australian Business Traveller confirmed with an MAS spokesperson that the upper deck economy cabin will be fitted with three bassinet positions, compared to the six bassinets in the downstairs economy section.

The priority for "families with infants and/or children in economy class is to accommodate them in main deck of 350 seats" the spokesperson said. "If main deck is full, then they are allowed at upper deck of 70 seats."

Infants and children will still be permitted in the business class cabin, which has the capacity for six bassinets.

http://www.ausbt.com...-on-airbus-a380

@ Travelmann...

I still maintain that Emirates have an excellent product. BC has always come up trumps for me, I was a very FF BC Glasgow - Perth and could honestly say that they were one of the best.

Emirates chauffeur driven cars have the edge over Singapore Airlines imo.

I tend to use Singapore more these days which is also excellent with great preference being to its hub Singapore which offers me personally more to do.

Malaysian aint bad either. Qantas and BA no thanks.

Edited by edwinclapham

Probably an old fat beer gutted farang with lots of money in his ATM, with a thai wife who is only 20 and a new baby returning to Thailand

Okay that's me, but I'm not married and I don't have a baby. That's how I've "lots of money in my ATM". rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

It's one thing for me as a tourist to be disturbed, but there was a guy on the flight who was going straight into a business meeting and flying back the next day. It must be galling for these guys, paying 3 times the flight cost in the hope of being fresh(er) when they get to their destination.

• Like 2

Reminds of me a story my uncle (ex-pilot) told me once. One guy had a few too many drinks, and was getting a little loud / obnoxious. So the flight crew came up with a plan! They decided to feed him loads more alcohol with hopes he'd pass out, and quit being a nuisance.

Suffice to say, didn't quite work out that way, and the police were waiting when the plane landed. smile.png

For the staff I take it that fed the poor chap alcohol of which from you story he wasn't aware? Isn't that tantamount to spiking someones drink and so should the staff not have all been sacked.

I am pretty disgusted at that story.

Was your uncle also in the special forces?

It's one thing for me as a tourist to be disturbed, but there was a guy on the flight who was going straight into a business meeting and flying back the next day. It must be galling for these guys, paying 3 times the flight cost in the hope of being fresh(er) when they get to their destination.

Thats what bizz class is for, not a place for a kids cresh. sad.png

The thing i took most from that post was that you flew business class!

oh, how i can but dream.

perhaps that was the point?

I'm a single guy, you married men with kids spend more on flights than I do. coffee1.gif

I have found the clue. What you do is fly non stop and take a Thai sleeping tablet (Valium) easy to get at a mum and pop place, sorted you will sleep soundo for at least 9 hour's.

I hate screaming babies too and especially on flights - and now I've got one of my own - but try to avoid long haul and even short haul as much as I can when the baby is in tow.

Now there's an air bar diversion. So much for stews making it nice and warm hoping everyone just goes to sleep.

Be great if all bored kids on long-hauls sat next to their parents doing exactly as the blether's avatar kid is doing. LOL.

I hate screaming babies too and especially on flights - and now I've got one of my own - but try to avoid long haul and even short haul as much as I can when the baby is in tow.

Post here your future flight dates and numbers eh. bah.gif

I was talking to a colleague about kids screaming on flights. He told me that the kids screamed cos their ears hurt and that I should consider that. I considered it and figured that if the parents knew that flying would hurt their precious children's ears and they subjected them to it anyway that the parents are guilty of child abuse and should be reported.

• Like 1

I was talking to a colleague about kids screaming on flights. He told me that the kids screamed cos their ears hurt and that I should consider that. I considered it and figured that if the parents knew that flying would hurt their precious children's ears and they subjected them to it anyway that the parents are guilty of child abuse and should be reported.

That's a bit over the top, I do hope you were being TV ironical. LOL.

I dislike screaming kids who do so for no reason and further, the parents who ignore it. On every flight however, I expect and ready myself for this natural event, usually during descent. If I know it's coming and why, it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I have a little compassion as I can still remember first time it happened to me when I was a kid and parents were completely beside themselves trying to teach us how to clear. Sis and I, all teary red faced over the very uncomfortable feeling it gives you, eventually got the hang of it. We then sat there having a laugh, sniffle sniffle, gaping our mouths like goldfish the rest of the way down.

whistling.gif Very young children have not yet developed the reflex of burbing or swallowing to overcome the pressure changes caused by altitude that can cause pain or discomfort in their ears.

It's a learned reponse to swallow or burp to release the air pressure in your throat...and thus release that air pressure in your ears.

So for young babies that cry...what the parents should do is to place them over their shoulders and gently pat the infants on their backs....so that they burp,

Often that stops the pressure in their ears....so they feel better and stop crying.

None of you have been parents with babies.... so you don't know that?

Of course, SOMETIMES, it also causes the little darlings to vomit or even p-ss or sh-t.

But that's another topic.

biggrin.png

whistling.gif Very young children have not yet developed the reflex of burbing or swallowing to overcome the pressure changes caused by altitude that can cause pain or discomfort in their ears.

It's a learned reponse to swallow or burp to release the air pressure in your throat...and thus release that air pressure in your ears.

biggrin.png

I don't have kids, but have flown a bit and the advice that I was told was sucking something, different things for different ages of course to remove the swallowing effect goes a long way to equalise the air pressure in the young ones ears.

biggrin.png

I don't have kids, but have flown a bit and the advice that I was told was sucking something, different things for different ages of course to remove the swallowing effect goes a long way to equalise the air pressure in the young ones ears.

Ah, me, been in extreme pain on decent, reducing cabin air pressure, seems if you have a blockage in your head senses (stuff between ears, nose throat), big pain problem. Babes, kids, always have these probs as infants and so it hurts, big time. sad.png

biggrin.png

We have always given our twins a bottle to suck on which usually alleviates the problem with the ears.

• Like 1

biggrin.png

We have always given our twins a bottle to suck on which usually alleviates the problem with the ears.

Naaaaaaaaaaaah, as an adult, whistling.gif tried everything. You don't know what your kids are feeling unless they can converse. sad.png

biggrin.png

Naaaaaaaaaaaah, as an adult, whistling.gif tried everything. You don't know what your kids are feeling unless they can converse. sad.png

It worked for them and for us! Now they do their fair share of conversing and the first thing they want when we fly is their beloved bottles!

If l were them l would be thinking, why are we sitting in a tube for half a day, bad ear pain, so dad can have a hot beer. Dad crazy. laugh.png

How strange people are!

We have taken our children right from birth back to the Uk from Australia with absolutely no problems on many occasions. Warm beer?? where did you get this nonsense from?? I'd be keeping off the grog myself mate if I were yousmile.png !

Edited by edwinclapham