Jrd.. Looks Good But ?

LivinLOS

I wasnt really in the market for a new scooter but

1) I have half had my eye on the JRD quest 125 (the smaller of the full auto machines) and like its design style lots more than the Waves / Mios / etc..

2) Someone just offered me a more than fair price on my old thing

So I am now looking at one of these a bit more seriously.. I know one guy with one who is really happy with it, no problems whatsoever but the dealership I talked to (Patong) were really awkward and acted like they were doing me a favour by speaking to me.. Refused to even let me test ride the bike (hence Phuket town would get any biz if I do buy)..

Anyone have opinions on these.. They are sold in N America under a different brand and thier styling, storage space, etc all seem superior to the more basic scooters, the price seems ok.. Just concerned about parts price, service issues and domestic build quality tho all of them are domestic built are they not ??

I have a CBR for hops round the island, basically it will only be used round town runabout so its little wheels etc speed things like that are not a concern..

Edited by LivinLOS

I think I read the same thread (searching on here ??).. Thats the first bad comments I had read and one reason I am posting this..

Are the Jap bikes not made in Thailand under license anyway ???

The JRD quest seems to be made under some licence.. In the states they are sold as a 'Vento Phantom' (new suped up version with carbon and trick bits called a Phantom R4i)..

If they do have problems are they problems all across the board, or is it engine / clutch / gearbox / parts costs / service ???

As I said I didnt have any plan but I might have someone wanting a bike off me and I like the look of them..

I'm an owner of a Quest, it's the biggest load of rubbish on 2 wheels I've ever had, same price as a Japanese bike but much lower quality. Service? Forget it, I've dealt with 4 dealers, Chiang Mai, Lampang and 2 here in Bangkok. Careless, mostly no JRD training, often cause more problems than they fix, and little in the way of problem solving skills. No other garage will touch it, no other garage will buy it, not even in part exchange, so I'm forced to keep using the idiots in their pretty red and white shirts.

Mine is 15 months old, been constantly in and out cos things break, fall off or stop working. It's not just the odd problem either, mine hasn't gone more than a month without something going wrong. Ignore the fancy ABS, it doesn't work. My bike has just come back, after a month in the garage, cos of a charging problem, it didn't! It's been back for the same problem 8, yes 8, times. I'm saying this with fingers crossed, but after 200km it SEEMS to be ok now, but I've had that before, just when I think they've finally managed to fix it, it bites me in the bum again.

Maybe I've bought a lemon, maybe it's a Friday afternoon/Monday morning bike, I don't know. What I do know is that I will never ever spend 1 single baht on anything remotely connected to JRD, and that includes their p*xy allow wheels.

Now I've got that off my chest I suppose I should feel better, but I still have to ride the ###### thing. I have to go to the post office today, will I get there, or back, without the battery going flat again, or yet another new problem rearing it's ugly head? G*d knows.

Oh yes, since it came back the speedo moves up and down jerkily (is that a word?), once it gets above about 50kmh it's ok. That probem wasn't there when they collected it last month, I've checked and greased both ends of the cable but all seems ok there. Surely it can't be a worn speedo head after just 8300 kmh!

Also I had found a Thai based web page for JRD but 1/2 hour of googleing and I cant get it..

Anyone know it..

The US Vento bikes are http://www.motovento.com/

WOW OK sieara.. Thats certainly an eye opener..

Will be a lot more cautious then.. There is the possibility of a lemon but the lack of fixing things was one of my niggling fears..

And yes a jerky speedo is 99% of the time a worn speedo head / slip plate..

The Manager of JRD Rama 9 even admitted to me that half his staff have no formal training!

I'm taking it in for a service tomorrow, I've found that a JRD service consists of simply changing the oil. I've spoken to the manager about it and he's assured me that it will get a proper service, it will cos I'll be standing there watching them!

Automatics don't have gears as such John, it's a variable gear. The throttle response on my bike isn't very good at small openings, not very smooth. Probably a carb problem but it's a waste of time trying to get it fixed, it'll be way over their heads.

Automatics don't have gears as such John, it's a variable gear. The throttle response on my bike isn't very good at small openings, not very smooth. Probably a carb problem but it's a waste of time trying to get it fixed, it'll be way over their heads.

Oh ok. Thanks. The friend described it as quite a herky-jerky movement when he corners so I just assumed it was shifting gears either up or down in an un-natural way. He also said it seems to be quite sluggish from a dead start like it's stuck in 1st. I don't know that much about the automatics technically as I can't imagine ever having one and haven't bothered to learn their specifics.

I hope yours gets repaired properly and things improve.

:o

I'm an owner of a Quest, it's the biggest load of rubbish on 2 wheels I've ever had, same price as a Japanese bike but much lower quality. Service? Forget it, I've dealt with 4 dealers, Chiang Mai, Lampang and 2 here in Bangkok. Careless, mostly no JRD training, often cause more problems than they fix, and little in the way of problem solving skills. No other garage will touch it, no other garage will buy it, not even in part exchange, so I'm forced to keep using the idiots in their pretty red and white shirts.

Mine is 15 months old, been constantly in and out cos things break, fall off or stop working. It's not just the odd problem either, mine hasn't gone more than a month without something going wrong. Ignore the fancy ABS, it doesn't work. My bike has just come back, after a month in the garage, cos of a charging problem, it didn't! It's been back for the same problem 8, yes 8, times. I'm saying this with fingers crossed, but after 200km it SEEMS to be ok now, but I've had that before, just when I think they've finally managed to fix it, it bites me in the bum again.

Maybe I've bought a lemon, maybe it's a Friday afternoon/Monday morning bike, I don't know. What I do know is that I will never ever spend 1 single baht on anything remotely connected to JRD, and that includes their p*xy allow wheels.

Now I've got that off my chest I suppose I should feel better, but I still have to ride the ###### thing. I have to go to the post office today, will I get there, or back, without the battery going flat again, or yet another new problem rearing it's ugly head? G*d knows.

Oh yes, since it came back the speedo moves up and down jerkily (is that a word?), once it gets above about 50kmh it's ok. That probem wasn't there when they collected it last month, I've checked and greased both ends of the cable but all seems ok there. Surely it can't be a worn speedo head after just 8300 kmh!

So, apart from all those problems, you're basically a happy customer? :o

Mr Gazza

Customer Relations Dept.,

JRD Motor Co., Ltd.

Dear Mr Gazza

Apart from a few very minor problems I am very happy with my Quest, and I thank you for asking.

Apart from the garage having to change some panels due to them being scratched, and fixing problems with the headlights and indicators when I collected my brand new bike, 2 oil leaks, the dealer in Lampang refusing outright to honour the warranty, continuing problems with the headlights, 4 letters and 2 emails that were never replied to, JRD brand and dealer fitted alarm forever not working and some features never worked, lousy old fashioned single pot caliper front brake preformance, ABS never worked, JRD brand top box continually coming loose and the cheap plastic mounting bracket breaking twice, automatic choke not working for the first year of ownership, a broken 3 month old headlight switch that I had to pay for (after it was changed the low beam was very dim, the dealer said it was perfectly ok...until I showed him the low beam on another Quest there), horn stopped working 5 or 6 times, 8 dealer attempts to fix a charging problem (it's too early to say if the problem is now behind me as I only got it back a few days ago), various sratches and marks on the bike that suddenly appear after a session with one of your dealers, a toolkit that is now almost nonexistent after your' technicians' have worked on the bike, I am very happy with the bike. I'm sure there have been other problems but I seem to have mislaid the letters I've written.

All in all JRD is to be congratulated on producing such a fine motor cycle.

Kind regards

Sierra01

PS I forgot to compliment you on the fact that for the first 6 months of my ownership the bike spent more time in the garage than it did on the road. Adding up all the downtime it must come to nearly 5 months now, not bad on a 15 month old motor cycle.

Hi LivinLos,

Talked to a Thai lady that had one. She told me that it had trouble going up hills with two people on it. This shouldn't be a problem for a 125 cc bike. Have heard other people say that it is grossly under-powered.

She also said that the service at the service centres were crap and apparently, bits fall off it too.

I was thinking of buying one because, as you say, they look stylish.

Ended up playing safe and got myself a Honda Wave 125i. Am very happy with it.

Edited by Sir Burr

Performance is another problem, there isn't much. Compared with a Yamaha or Honda 125cc you get blown into the weeds, me on my own from the lights I can't even compete with a 2 up 100cc wave, very embarrassing.

Edited by sierra01

I had a JRD Typhoon for about 5 months and sold it on at the first opportunity. Felt a bit guilty doing so as well.

The battery kept going flat. Sometimes the engine would cut out as i was driving along. Very underpowered and got through more petrol than a car.

Stick to the Japanese makes and you can't go wrong.

I called in on a mate who has had 2 quests..

His opinion was totally the opposite.. One problem with getting dirty fuel blocking a fuel filter but heartily reccomended them.. Also hes a big lad (body builder) and where my bike has to be 1st gear to get up the steep hill to his house he reckoned him and a mate would fly up that hill on the quest..

Must admit it has put me off tho..

Edited by LivinLOS

I had a JRD Typhoon for about 5 months and sold it on at the first opportunity. Felt a bit guilty doing so as well.

The battery kept going flat. Sometimes the engine would cut out as i was driving along. Very underpowered and got through more petrol than a car.

Stick to the Japanese makes and you can't go wrong.

While my Quest was in the garage last time they lent me a Typhoon, it was much better than the Quest, still not great but a lot better. Still had lousy performance, mirror stalks too short to see behind me (one complaint I don't have about the Quest), ABS doesn't work on this one either,and a bit of a noisy motor but still much better. It felt more solidly built, didn't rattle, squeek, and shake like my Quest. It's almost a carbon copy of the Yamaha Mio, but I know which one I would buy!

Now my bike is back in for an 8000km service, they want a couple of days to do this, :o and they've lent me a 110cc JRD Rock. Different bike entirely, but I still wouldn't waste money on it. It had 400km on the clock, rock hard suspension, vibrates so much I can't see out of the mirrors, again the stalks are too short anyway, and the ABS isn't working on this one either (that's 3 different JRD models I've ridden now, and the ABS hasn't worked on any of them).

Oh ok. Thanks. The friend described it as quite a herky-jerky movement when he corners so I just assumed it was shifting gears either up or down in an un-natural way. He also said it seems to be quite sluggish from a dead start like it's stuck in 1st. I don't know that much about the automatics technically as I can't imagine ever having one and haven't bothered to learn their specifics.

I hope yours gets repaired properly and things improve.

:D

It's just occured to me John, your friend might have been talking about a JRD with an automatic clutch, not a fully automatic bike. I've never been able to get the hang of changing gear with a auto clutch bike, no matter what the brand!

Well just went for a look at a second hand one.. Little bit tatty and no power for uphills, would need new pistoing and rings and some body panels to make it A1 and by then it would be close to 30k.. Not much sense in that if a new one is 50..

Bit of a odd position cause I have had my bike for nearly 4 years and bought it second hand for 24k. .Someone is hinting that he would pick it up for 20 so it seems daft not to buy something else.. Thing is the Cheer is a good solid, reliable bike..

Why has Aprillia or the cool type scooters which have been around for years in Holland and other Euro contries not caught on ?? I would happily pay 80k or so on a cool scooter with some oomph..

...Reading the American website, the one they sell there is a 150 with 9.38 horsepower (probably was 9.37689 and they rounded up). So, a 125 would have 16.6667 percent less, or about 8 horsepower. With a farang pilot, it would weigh over 400 pounds. That's 50 pounds per horsepower, like driving a 2,600 pound car or pickup (with driver) that has 56 horsepower.

I never heard of the brand in the USA, even when I went back last May and found a scooter shop.

It's just occured to me John, your friend might have been talking about a JRD with an automatic clutch, not a fully automatic bike. I've never been able to get the hang of changing gear with a auto clutch bike, no matter what the brand!

went around to see him yesterday. It's a typhoon with full auto. He demonstrated what it was like starting off from a start and geez... after accelerating for quite a bit of distance, it was like it was in 1st gear still with a very high pitched whingggggg sound, before finally "shifting" or whatever these auto's do..

sheesh... that'd drive me batty.

From your description John it could be the drive belt slipping, not a big problem, just needs adjusting. Have you ever had a car with a slipping clutch? When it eventually catches up it seems like it's changed gear.

Thanks, I'll let him know... however I forgot to mention that he told me he's already taken it to the dealer twice, without resolving the problem (sound familar? :o )..

Perhaps I should also put him in touch with Mr. Gazza to have the problem looked into .... :D

I almost bought one. Looks great but was very unimpressed by finition and overall quality. Even in the shop, some of the bikes were already taking dust and falling apart and they were new. Not a good sign. Drove one. No space for my legs and almost crashed into a car. Brakes not good and overall experience wasn't good.

Never looked back.

You know if you are going to get a scooter here there really is nothing else to get except a Honda Wave. They are just better than the rest, even other Jap makes and whats the cheapest 125cc version, 35k?

It's a no brainer and they last forever without anything going wrong with them if properly maintained which is easy to do at the million Honda dealers nationwide. Plus all the mechanics will know them like the back of their hands.

Do your self a favour.

If you really need to go faster/longer get a proper motorcycle of at least 250cc.