Thai Hard-Boiled Eggs: How To Peel Them?

ddpffft

Hard-boiled Eggs in the supermarkets - whatever Brand - are never rinsed with cold water, it seems...

Is there a trick to peel them, without leaving 20% on the shell?

Edited by ddpffft

I have an alternative answer for you.

If you are staying in Thailand and don't have any place to cook a hard boiled egg, but have access to a kettle ... most hotel rooms, you can do this.

Buy the raw egg in the 7-11 ... where ever.

Place the egg in the kettle and let there be the slightest 'hairline' crack in it.

Boil the kettle, wait a minute, boil it again, wait a minute or two.

Tip the water out into the sink, a little cold water on the egg.

I find the egg tipped into a coffee cup of cold water and maybe 30 secs to a minute suffices.

The small crack will allow the water to enter the outer layer of the egg and that membrane stays with the shell and it all comes apart easily. Every kettle is different so times may vary.

Go to McDonalds and grab a few salt sachets.

If you crack it just a little too hard, the results are not pleasant and you have to clean the kettle.

But once you work it out ... never a problem ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Does this work in other countries as well?

wink.png

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it!

I vaguely recall something about poking a hole in one end from when I was a kid, same principle but don't know if it actually works.

I'm sure a lot of it is technique, all in the wrist or something.

If you are staying in Thailand and don't have any place to cook a hard boiled egg, but have access to a kettle ... most hotel rooms, you can do this.

Place the egg in the kettle and let there be the slightest 'hairline' crack in it.

I find the egg tipped into a coffee cup of cold water and maybe 30 secs to a minute suffices.

The small crack will allow the water to enter the outer layer of the egg and that membrane stays with the shell and it all comes apart easily. Every kettle is different so times may vary.

If you crack it just a little too hard, the results are not pleasant and you have to clean the kettle.

Wow! That's got to be the most convoluted description of how to boil an egg that I have ever had the pleasure to read!

I hope I'm never in a hotel after you and drinking eggy tea. Why not just go out for breakfast like everybody else? lol rolleyes.gif

Wow! That's got to be the most convoluted description of how to boil an egg that I have ever had the pleasure to read!

I hope I'm never in a hotel after you and drinking eggy tea. Why not just go out for breakfast like everybody else? lol rolleyes.gif

yes all that chicken shit on the outside of the egg also something like salmonella on the egg shell i believe

Buy the raw egg in the 7-11 ...

yes all that chicken shit on the outside of the egg also something like salmonella on the egg shell i believe

*sigh*

You don't get ‘eggy’ tea … JimShortz, you must be a Pom!

'convoluted' ... not really ... descriptive, sure.

Sometimes I have a nice reason why not to out for breakfast.

My Thai gf likes when I make that for her before she goes off to work.

Not exactly a Farm Lad dazk are you?

Salmonella, if it is present, is most likely to be present on the inside of the egg, rather then on the eggshell.

The cooking process destroying most of it in the process.

Next ... coffee1.gif

Edited by David48

I remember having similar complaints when I was a wat dek helping organize the almsfood at a monastery. After getting bored of opening kanoms I decided to try my hand at peeling the hundreds of boiled eggs... and it was incredibly difficult. Yet the old ladies were ripping through them, splittin' em in to two, maybe three shell pieces.

Once again, I am defeated by Thai culture refusing to change since they've just got too dam_n good at it.

• 1 month later...

Very fresh eggs are harder to peel because the membrane under the shell sticks to the shell when they're fresh. This bond loosens over time. Eggs that are about a week old, stored in the fridge are easier to peel. That said, I find the shells of Thai eggs to be much thinner than those of European eggs. I had a lot of eggs that broken when boiling until I started to pierce the rounded end of the shell with a knife point. Still, about 1 in 10 will crack on me. Lots of salt in the water helps coagulate any white that escapes.

Always best to plunge the eggs into cold water when cooked. Not only does this stop them carry on cooking, it stops the formation of the dark, greeny ring on the outside of the yolk that one sometimes finds. Since tap water in Thailand is relatively warm, I usually add a few ice cubes to help cool it down.

• Like 1

One thing rather fascinates me about boiled eggs in Thailand......

Whenever I buy Khao Moo Grob at the local market or elsewhere it comes with half a boiled egg, but whilst the white is hard the yolk is always (deliciously) semi-runny; not a hard yellow ball as all mine turn out to have.

I have absolutely no idea how they do this - obviously it's mainly timing but there must be some trick to getting it right so consistently.

Patrick

The miracles of using an egg timer... Put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil and once boiling set the timer to 4.5 minutes.

Stay tuned for next week's cooking class when we unveil the secrets how to properly butter a slice of bread.

sent from my Android phone

• Like 2

The miracles of using an egg timer... Put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil and once boiling set the timer to 4.5 minutes.

Stay tuned for next week's cooking class when we unveil the secrets how to properly butter a slice of bread.

sent from my Android phone

It rather reminds me of the stir that was caused when, back in 1998, Delia Smith taught Britain how to boil an egg, and Gary Rhodes publicly accused her of insulting people's intelligence. Her advice, however, is still good: http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/eggs/how-to-boil-an-egg.html

(And British people no longer need to know how to boil an egg, because they can buy them ready-boiled in the local supermarket.)

• 2 weeks later...

Peeling an egg that someone else hard boiled is a guess as to how easy it will peel.To make sure that the egg will peael easy you need to......First use the freshest eggs possible.Put cold water in the pot,add fresh eggs,bring to a boil,remove from heat and put top on pot,wait 15 minutes.Slowly cool eggs by adding cool water to pot,wait drain then repeat untl eggs are cool to the touch.Then peel under runing water or in a bowl of cool water.

Well, one poster says the eggs should be at least a week old and another says they must be fresh. Others say quench in cold water. Some say start in cold water and time after boiling. Some say poke a small hole. Some say poke the small hole if you're placing into boiling water.

I'm here to tell you that NONE of those things work with the eggs we buy in the store here in the US. Like most farm products, the breed of animal or variety of plant is chosen for maximum yield and/or beauty on the shelf or for uniform ripening time for machine picking or even for toughness to survive shipping. Never is it chosen for its taste or its usefulness.

Having grown up on farms where our own food varieties were chosen for taste, we know the difference between heirloom varieties and cross bred varieties. You can't buy a good watermelon in a store. You can however buy one with a tough rind to survive shipping and with a nice shape to look good.

All we know is that back on the farm, fresh eggs didn't peel well but older eggs did. That was then with Foghorn Leghorn.

• 2 weeks later...

If you steam the eggs rather than boil them you will have no trouble peeling them whether fresh or older eggs. Look it up online and you can find the timing used. It's almost the same process but you steam instead of boil. I've never had any issue with peeling them once I started doing this.

Try it once and you'll be convinced.