Tv And Internet Options In Baan Wang Tan

kaptainrob

I have read all current topics and some older ones regarding choices. I'd like to hear from Members residing in BWT who are actually using various providers.

Re TV: Are all FTA channels reasonably good to view with standard roof-top antennae? We have not seen too many standard antenna's on rooftops and wonder if reception is poor due to aircraft interference? Who does antenna supply and installations? [Amorn - BigC Centre, staff were unhelpful]

Re Cable/Satellite: UBC/True ... exxy. Don't really need all the featured programs. WeTV, Is it available in BWT? What other options are there for FTA channels and/or movies, other English language programs?

Internet: I believe 3BB is best. @ 590 Bt, is it stable? Or is True's equivalent ok .... for normal surfing and periodic torrents download.

All information/advice appreciated.

I have TOT WIFI and generally have no problem with speed for downloads etc unless late afternoon early evening.

FTA - we have a satellite dish (actually 3) but one in particular is for FTA via the old Dynasat box which works extremely well with access to around 8 different satellites and subsequently hundreds of FTA channels in various languages.

I have TOT WIFI and generally have no problem with speed for downloads etc unless late afternoon early evening.

FTA - we have a satellite dish (actually 3) but one in particular is for FTA via the old Dynasat box which works extremely well with access to around 8 different satellites and subsequently hundreds of FTA channels in various languages.

Please tell us more about FTA..Personally I have never heard of it but I am very curious and interested.

Please tell us more about FTA..Personally I have never heard of it but I am very curious and interested.

Free To Air http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air

FTA = Free To Air. Eg: normal broadcasts via UHF. NOT pay TV.

How much to install a sat dish and decoder for FTA channels + whatever else is beaming down on CM?

The wife and I bought in BWT 5C in 2004 and have never regretted it. Nice house, lots of trees.

Started with TOT telephone and dial-up internet at 52 kbps. Upgraded to TOT broadband in 2006 when it became available at 256 kbps.

Currently have TOT broadband 8 mbps at 590 baht a month and TOT landline. Best I've seen is 7.2 meg download to BKK......now avg 6.5 to BKK from 6 AM to 11 AM. Have TOT wi-fi modem for two laptops in the house and it has been flaky the past month.......dropping and reconnecting connection. Upon my complaint they have replaced my 950 baht modem free of charge but that did not sove the problem.

If I had it to do over I would really consider 3BB. neighbors who have 3BB would not go back to TOT.

Have 5 TV's in the house and 4 of them use rabbit ears for Thai local TV.....9 channels clear as a crystal. Have a roof top antenna but never hooked it up as didn't need to. MY 40" HD TV uses True/UBC satellite Gold package. It is simple....pay for it once a year for a free month and accept what is offered.

If you are considering buying or building here plan on installing a water storage tank and pump. Over the past two years the water supply has been spotty due to the rapid growth of BWT. There are some huge houses currently under construction so I doubt it will get any better.

Jolly Roger

• 1 month later...

I'm really confused about who to use: I move out to Maejo in a week. I already have 3BB up and running there.

However, I was told WE TV was great, but it's only in the city it seems and is not a satellite service.

Had a talk to TRUE TV in Kad Suan Keaw today ,and it seems that one would be paying for a great many Thai channels using their Platinum package, whereas I'd like to get BBC News, CNN, Oz TV, and pay extra for BBC Entertainment package.

Are there any decent alternatives?

I'm really confused about who to use: I move out to Maejo in a week. I already have 3BB up and running there.

However, I was told WE TV was great, but it's only in the city it seems and is not a satellite service.

Had a talk to TRUE TV in Kad Suan Keaw today ,and it seems that one would be paying for a great many Thai channels using their Platinum package, whereas I'd like to get BBC News, CNN, Oz TV, and pay extra for BBC Entertainment package.

Are there any decent alternatives?

We ended up with True gold package. It's ok if you like Discovery type doco's, Movies (some good ones) and only a 6 month contract so no big deal to cancel if you don't like it.

I also d/l movies and watch at leisure if nothing else available... fortunately my TW has similar taste in entertainment.

Free To Air http://en.wikipedia....iki/Free-to-air

Well I certainly am not a knowledgeable person about these types of things. So I could and obviously am wrong.

But I did read the wikipedia article and it looked like it was not available in Thailand. Where and how did you get yours. Of course this would mean I would have to get another TV one for me and the existing cable one with all the Thai Sitcom's and Milton Berle type comedy shows also the talent shows for the wife.

Free To Air http://en.wikipedia....iki/Free-to-air

Well I certainly am not a knowledgeable person about these types of things. So I could and obviously am wrong.

But I did read the wikipedia article and it looked like it was not available in Thailand. Where and how did you get yours. Of course this would mean I would have to get another TV one for me and the existing cable one with all the Thai Sitcom's and Milton Berle type comedy shows also the talent shows for the wife.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

FTA is not some new hi tech option. Its the traditional style, aerial (antenna) on the roof, free of charge TV. Think channel 3, 7, 9 etc. loaded with adverts. You dont pay to watch it, pay only for the electric bill for your TV. Applies the same to radio. You turn the thing on , tune in to some FM station and theres no charge to listen.