The Agonising Blows That Expose The Evil Secrets Of Thailands Elephant Tourism Con:

Lite Beer

Many years ago when I stll lived in africa we had some 160 black employees- one day the father of a friend of mine came and asked if we are still trying " to make humans out of them"....unfortunately I get slowly the same feeling here... But maybe we are to wealth to understand theyr reasons????

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, most tourists want to be entertained. They don't want to shovel elephant dung while on vacation. They would prefer to sit back and watch the elephants perform. Judging by the masses of people who flock to the Mae Rim elephant camp every day of the week, filling the stands to capacity and then some, and the 2-3 families who visit a rescue center, each week there isn't much hope until the government steps in.

Does any harm come to the elephants from performing? Genuine question.

Unfortunately, most tourists want to be entertained. They don't want to shovel elephant dung while on vacation. They would prefer to sit back and watch the elephants perform. Judging by the masses of people who flock to the Mae Rim elephant camp every day of the week, filling the stands to capacity and then some, and the 2-3 families who visit a rescue center, each week there isn't much hope until the government steps in.

Are you asking some sort of sick question? Or do you really think wild elephants perform tricks? Did you read any part of this story?
  • Like 1

I spent a LOT of time in the Elephant Park in Mae Rim. For about 2 years, I was there several times a week, and got to know many of the mahouts. At no time did I see any elephants with wounds, although I did see the mahouts often hitting the elephant with their stick, but usually lightly. I believe that the elephants there are very well taken care of. Each elephant has its own very distinctive personality, and a lot of that comes from its relationship with it's mahout.

Then you know that Khun Et, the owner of the Mae Sa camp, does not tolerate the abuse of the animals, provides excellent veterinary care, and has his own self-sustaining breeding program. And most of the major elephant camp owners up north provide the elephants with the same quailty of care. Khun Et and his peers are truly dedicated to helping the species. The problems are usually found in the smaller camps as well as the camps outside the Lanna region, down south such as in Phuket, regions that were never a traditional area for elephants.

I remember reading something and there was a video with elephants standing on their back legs and walking. It looked painful just watching the video and thus disturbing.

A vet said the elephants would have joint problems and eventually arthritis from doing that daily.

I have never been to any elephant show and never will so I have no idea what other 'tricks' they perform in front of morons.

Speaking of morons, I wonder what percentage of the audience/customers are western, asian etc.?

I can imagine a higher number of persons from countries where animal rights laws are (almost) non existant not giving a hoot about the welfare of the animals.

• Like 1

This has been known for centuries and is simply how they are 'trained'. Well this is 21st Century and there are 'other' ways. A documentary will be filmed here starting in August with an Australian Director. She requires funding and I would urge everyone to assist her as there is no way anything will be done from here. Please look at this site. http://www.indiegogo.com/elephanteyes?a=832300 and donate if possible. Cheers all and glad to see we are all concerned.

• Like 1

Are you asking some sort of sick question? Or do you really think wild elephants perform tricks? Did you read any part of this story?

I asked if any harm came to the elephants from performing tricks. I didn't ask whether elephants performed tricks in the wild. Can you answer my question or not?

I am stunned and horrified at the treatment of these poor helpless animals I have been on a few elephant treks in Thailand in the past but after seeing this, I have also been to a Tiger zoo and my GF got her picture taken with a fully grown tiger and much later I saw the same tiger being led away and it was so drugged up it could hardly walk never mind attack anyone so since that time I have never been back to a Tiger Zoo again and also when my friends / family come over to Thailand for a holiday I never take them to a Tiger Zoo and now it looks like elephant shows and treks are also of the agenda from now on for me and my friends / family.

• Like 1

I asked if any harm came to the elephants from performing tricks. I didn't ask whether elephants performed tricks in the wild. Can you answer my question or not?

YES

On my way next month to make a documentary called "Through Elephant Eyes".

The ultimate intention is to give back the free will of Asian elephants. This world first project will defy everything you think you know about animal communication. A new era in animal communication has begun.

I'm curious, science has proven elephants to have more compassion than humans, and they match apes, and dolphins in their intelligence. What is it going to take?

Please show your support by taking a moment to check it out on the Indiegogo website. Share it with your friends. All the tools are there.

You can share your own elephant story, get perks, make a contribution, or simply follow updates.

If enough of us get behind it, we can make 'Through Elephant Eyes' happen and help inspire Thailand's communities new ways to communicate.

Thank you!

post-160458-0-23099700-1342970911_thumb.

Edited by metisdead
: Please use Arial size 14 when posting, thanks.
  • Like 2

I remember reading something and there was a video with elephants standing on their back legs and walking. It looked painful just watching the video and thus disturbing.

A vet said the elephants would have joint problems and eventually arthritis from doing that daily.

I have never been to any elephant show and never will so I have no idea what other 'tricks' they perform in front of morons.

Speaking of morons, I wonder what percentage of the audience/customers are western, asian etc.?

I can imagine a higher number of persons from countries where animal rights laws are (almost) non existant not giving a hoot about the welfare of the animals.

Well perhaps you can give us a example of what you are doing to help feed and care for these animals you are so concerned about.

My guess is you are just talking to hear your self talk.

For myself this Moron has been to see the shows three times and left a little bit of money there to help feed and care for them. Pardon me I didn't hear what it was you had done to help them.

I did not see any abuse or baby elephants there. But that does not mean it does not happen it just means I did not see it.

I come from North America happy now.

People like you remind me of my mother. She had a strong disbelief in abortion. And a stronger dislike for the ones crying about it and not raising one little finger to help the babies if they had been born. She flat out said she had no rite to put on a show like those people were doing. You just keep on talking Are youby any chance a lawyer? You don't seem to have any real concern for the innocents. They being the elephants.

The only way to stop this business is TO COMPLAIN IN WRITING TO THE TOURIST AUTHORITY THAILAND ( TAT ) and copy the Prime Minister of Thailand on each email , letter etc ..................... complaing to the local hotel or tour operator will not change anything

Local people who complain are being killed or having their families threatened by the mafia that run this business - the groundswell must come from outside Thailand and from within Thailand by the farang population

The TAT people are a Government organisation and are responsable for the billions of Thai Baht that tourism generates ............ they WILL listen ( but they wont like it )

This has been known for centuries and is simply how they are 'trained'. Well this is 21st Century and there are 'other' ways. A documentary will be filmed here starting in August with an Australian Director. She requires funding and I would urge everyone to assist her as there is no way anything will be done from here. Please look at this site. http://www.indiegogo...nteyes?a=832300 and donate if possible. Cheers all and glad to see we are all concerned.

I am a bit leary of all these organizations asking to sign petitions and donate as doesn't seem to make one ounce of a difference to all the tortures and disgusting things being done to animals all over the world but more prominently in Asia .... I donated and suscribed to http://www.care2.com

and get on a daily basis endless donation requests for so many atrocities which I know are true .... but how has it helped/any one of them...???

When WFFT and ENP were having issues with the DNP in Feb onwards .... requests for petitions to be signed went out all over the world and up to 60 or 65,000 signed ones were received. Demonstrations were carried out in England, Canada , Australia and a few other Countries .... Hundreds of letters from supporters were sent the The Royal Thai Embassies all over the World as well as to HR Majesty here in Thailand who loves and cherishes all wild life ... as well as to Yingyucky and many other governement departments .... demonstrations were even held in Bangkok on 2 searate occasions and what did that succeed in ??? Go to the first link I posted above and see what the GD of DNP ( Bloody Damwrong and his name suits him so well ) came back with in an interview with Edwin's wife just recently ..... And where are the confiscated animals now ..?? GUESS!! Edwin filed a lawsuit in March and the court 3 months later said The DNP was wrong but never issued a verdict to the DNP that the animals must be returned .... Surprising ??? Edwin is still fighting the cause ... he has courage and strength but how long can he go on for ??? .... It is hopeless in my opinion /// However I think that yes we should still continue fighting for these poor mistreated animals all over the world ////

I am stunned and horrified at the treatment of these poor helpless animals I have been on a few elephant treks in Thailand in the past but after seeing this, I have also been to a Tiger zoo and my GF got her picture taken with a fully grown tiger and much later I saw the same tiger being led away and it was so drugged up it could hardly walk never mind attack anyone so since that time I have never been back to a Tiger Zoo again and also when my friends / family come over to Thailand for a holiday I never take them to a Tiger Zoo and now it looks like elephant shows and treks are also of the agenda from now on for me and my friends / family.

Good plan no body go to see them turn them all loose to live haply ever after in the jungle. Some thing wrong with that answer just can't put my finger on it.

post-129337-0-85435200-1342973419_thumb.post-129337-0-01746800-1342973450_thumb.

Photos taken this year at Phuket zoo - these elephants used in the elephant football show but whisked away fast at the end of the show leaving only the younger elephants that were "unmarked" for photo viewing opportunities

From the Daily Mail article

"

Until these steps are taken, it is not possible to say which camps tourists should or should not visit.

But one thing I want to make clear to anyone planning on travelling to Thailand is that we’re not calling for a boycott of the camps, which would be disastrous for elephants because the camps rely on tourist income to feed and care for them.

Tourists should instead report any concerns they may have to their hotel or tour operator, and otherwise support our efforts for change if they want to make a difference. "

It costs a lot of money to feed an elephant. The Thais don't have that kind of money. And with the expansion of towns and villages, there simply isn't room enough in most areas to 'free range' a single elephant, to say nothing of a herd. There has to be a way for the Thais to get money to feed these animals.

There are several elephant rescue centers now, without dancing elephants or elephants playing football. Tourists can visit these places, interact with the elephants, help care for the elephants, etc., without the circus of the performing camps. These rescue centers need money. They need Tourist money. When more people support the rescue centers than the performing camps, then more animals will be in a safer environment. There may still be an abusive mahout now and then, but the management of the rescue centers won't tolerate it for very long.

I totally agree with you about tourists attitude but kinda disagree with you that all tourists are like that....I have a friend who has a Guest House and she told me that more and more people are shying away from these touristy type of places and would rather spend a day in a decent camp where elephants are well looked after and are bread in house etc..etc... She also encourages people to go to these camps rather than the touristy conspicuous ones ..... there are certain camps that are really good .... Such camps exist and I can name a few such as Patara Elephant Camp, Thai Elephant Home, Elephant Nature Park ..... these ones I know for sure are legit and take excellent care of their elephants and the babies they have are not from mothers that have been killed and then tortured .!

On my way next month to make a documentary called "Through Elephant Eyes".

The ultimate intention is to give back the free will of Asian elephants. This world first project will defy everything you think you know about animal communication. A new era in animal communication has begun.

I'm curious, science has proven elephants to have more compassion than humans, and they match apes, and dolphins in their intelligence. What is it going to take?

Please show your support by taking a moment to check it out on the Indiegogo website. Share it with your friends. All the tools are there.

You can share your own elephant story, get perks, make a contribution, or simply follow updates.

If enough of us get behind it, we can make 'Through Elephant Eyes' happen and help inspire Thailand's communities new ways to communicate.

Thank you!

WE should expand on this to be THROUGH WILDLIFE'S EYES" througout SE Asia. It would really be interesting from the plate to the mouth and from the rifle to the dealer. I getting my camera fixed now,

you need any help, I will be there in thailand in a few months!

• Like 1

And to reiterate Dcutman's answer ... obviously YES!!! They are wild animals so HOW DO YOU THINK THEY GET THEM TO PERFORM THESE STUPID TRICKS BY ANY OTHER WAY THAN ABUSING THEM.... Sssshhhh ... my God can you think a little bit ... Hullo!!!... Did you look at the video on how they break the spirit of the babies?? Why don't you do your homework ad then come back and ask these kind of questions... Take a couple of hours .... days off and come back ... or don't bother coming back ... Ouuuuuff !!!

Well perhaps you can give us a example of what you are doing to help feed and care for these animals you are so concerned about.

My guess is you are just talking to hear your self talk.

For myself this Moron has been to see the shows three times and left a little bit of money there to help feed and care for them. Pardon me I didn't hear what it was you had done to help them.

I did not see any abuse or baby elephants there. But that does not mean it does not happen it just means I did not see it.

I come from North America happy now.

HelloDolly ... and you didn't see any abuse or baby elephants during your 3 times visit to these touristy places....?? Ummmm.. and would you really expect them to do that in front of an audience ..?? OMG , where do you come from ??? Right you said that already ... North America being the USA right as I wouldn't want people to think you are from Canada which is also North America ...whistling.gif

post-129337-0-85435200-1342973419_thumb.post-129337-0-01746800-1342973450_thumb.

Photos taken this year at Phuket zoo - these elephants used in the elephant football show but whisked away fast at the end of the show leaving only the younger elephants that were "unmarked" for photo viewing opportunities

Thanks for that. A non-hysterical answer was what I was looking for.

The only way to stop this business is TO COMPLAIN IN WRITING TO THE TOURIST AUTHORITY THAILAND ( TAT ) and copy the Prime Minister of Thailand on each email , letter etc ..................... complaing to the local hotel or tour operator will not change anything

Local people who complain are being killed or having their families threatened by the mafia that run this business - the groundswell must come from outside Thailand and from within Thailand by the farang population

The TAT people are a Government organisation and are responsable for the billions of Thai Baht that tourism generates ............ they WILL listen ( but they wont like it )

Hehehe!! You are joking right ?? This was already done back In Feb when the DNP <deleted> confiscated WFFT and ENP's animals and all this shit was exposed ... Everybody but everybody sent them letters and messages on their FB pages and what not ... never responded !! and eventually just managed to erase all the posts on their FB page ... They couldn't care less ... all they want is tourist $$$$$... Amazing though that nobody here on TV other than now as I said previously cared about all this then but only now and why?? .... because of the voice of a higher up who recently had any concerns and spoke up ...?? Ummm !! Well what can I say ...??

Then you know that Khun Et, the owner of the Mae Sa camp, does not tolerate the abuse of the animals, provides excellent veterinary care, and has his own self-sustaining breeding program.

Absolutely! Clean, well cared for, and no abuse. But I feel that this care and concern comes more from the financial end rather than a real love of animals. If there is elephant dung all over, the tourists won't come. If the elephants are abused, the tourists won't come. And God forbid a professional photographer shows up to take pictures of the babies... No money for the Camp owners that way!

Khun Et is indeed a very good, and shrewd, businessman and so no, professional photographers are not allowed to take pictures without permission and perhaps paying a fee. But I have known him casually for decades and I know that he is also dedicated to the elephants. These two aspects, business and caring, are not always mutually exclusive. Again, most of the owners of the major pang chang (camps) up north do care about the animals and are part of the solution to preserving the species.

I find this whole thing disgusting. I've known about this kinda stuff for years, and thruth be known, so do most other people. Certainly, all animal protection agencies around the world are fully aware of it as to are almost all international governments and doners of millions of money to countries like Thailand. Everybody's at fault. Thai people in the trade including govt and govt officers are only interested in the money aspect. Thais not involved in the trade generally couldn't care less. Tourists look at everything through rose colored glasses and think animals are protected here as they are in the west. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The whole thing could be stopped tomorrow if there was political backbone from western countries and animal agencies as well as cultural changes from eastern nations (Chinese in particular).

The sad fact is this...it's just a matter of time ..not too long now...and ALL these animals will be gone from Asia...include tigers, bears, apes some monkeys, rhinoceros , snow leopards , most sharks etc etc gone gone gone!!! Get your kids to see them soon. Another generation and museums will be the only place to see what they all looked like.

And whose to blame????

When they're all gone, please remember I said this on Monday 23rd July 2012, "There's only one way to preserve wildlife....leave it ALONE!!!!!!"

When they're all gone, please remember I said this on Monday 23rd July 2012, "There's only one way to preserve wildlife....leave it ALONE!!!!!!"

While I appreciate your sentiment, it is no longer an option. Humans have made too large an incursion into the animal habitat. Without proper guidance today, to many species would self destruct. This is why hunting laws have evolved... not to make it better for the hunters, but to insure that the maximum numbers of animals of a particular species are permitted to exist based on available food supply for a given area. Man's incursion into the animal's habitat has thrown off the natural selection process. Unless you remove all the towns and cities and let them grow back into a natural habitat, there is simply no way the animals can fend for themselves as they did before the arrival of civilization. In fact, the very first law ever passed after the American Revolution was to set a specified deer season in the Vermont/New Hampshire area. Deer were almost extinct by the later years of the 17'00's... Today, because of sound herd management, there are more deer in Vermont than there were in the mid 1800's!

Example- If hunting were banned, during the first few years of the bann the herd population WOULD increase. But it would eventually reach a level where there were too many deer for the available food supply. Then only the healthiest animals would get the food (survival of the fittest, right?) Many of the weaker deer would become sick. That sickness would spread to the healthier animals and there would be massive die-off. The result would be a serious DECREASE in the herd size. As civilization continued to build more housing developments and roads, the food supply would continue to shrink... I think you get the picture.

It's the same with the Elephant population. There is simply no room today for wild herds in Thailand. There are way too many towns and cities in Malaysia for wild tigers to roam free. Villagers will shoot them, not for meat or trophy, but for safety. Mankind got in the way, and it's up to mankind to take steps to protect the animals, not leave them alone.

• Like 2

While I appreciate your sentiment, it is no longer an option. Humans have made too large an incursion into the animal habitat. Without proper guidance today, to many species would self destruct. This is why hunting laws have evolved... not to make it better for the hunters, but to insure that the maximum numbers of animals of a particular species are permitted to exist based on available food supply for a given area. Man's incursion into the animal's habitat has thrown off the natural selection process. Unless you remove all the towns and cities and let them grow back into a natural habitat, there is simply no way the animals can fend for themselves as they did before the arrival of civilization. In fact, the very first law ever passed after the American Revolution was to set a specified deer season in the Vermont/New Hampshire area. Deer were almost extinct by the later years of the 17'00's... Today, because of sound herd management, there are more deer in Vermont than there were in the mid 1800's!

Example- If hunting were banned, during the first few years of the bann the herd population WOULD increase. But it would eventually reach a level where there were too many deer for the available food supply. Then only the healthiest animals would get the food (survival of the fittest, right?) Many of the weaker deer would become sick. That sickness would spread to the healthier animals and there would be massive die-off. The result would be a serious DECREASE in the herd size. As civilization continued to build more housing developments and roads, the food supply would continue to shrink... I think you get the picture.

It's the same with the Elephant population. There is simply no room today for wild herds in Thailand. There are way too many towns and cities in Malaysia for wild tigers to roam free. Villagers will shoot them, not for meat or trophy, but for safety. Mankind got in the way, and it's up to mankind to take steps to protect the animals, not leave them alone.

Well said and a good argument. But, unfortunately you kinda reinforced what I believe....that it's inevitable.....they're all gone....it's just a matter of time. I for one am an animal lover and I will always be on the side of all the wild animals in the world. But, turning the tide???? Parks and sanctuaries that guarantee security for it's animals as you say is probably their only hope. But, again unfortunately, there are often cases where poaching has gone on with devistating results within designated parks. This situation vexes me greatly...and I'd like to shoot all poachers and customers on the spot. Ultimately, however, I have no hope in enough strong, unwavering, staunch support from world governments and it's peoples to save wild animals. It's sad...very sad indeed. In this regard, we humans (myself and a few others excluded to a large extent) are <deleted>!

Edited by barky
  • Like 1