Lord Jim'S Sunday Brunch

bonobo

I rather like going to a Sunday brunch/roast about once a month. I range from the high-end like the Sukothai to the more reasonable Molly Malones.

I decided to try Lord Jim's today, and to be honest, I was disappointed.

First, I will admit that the quality of the ingredients seemed top-notch, and the atmosphere great. Preparation and service left a bit to be desired, though.

Some things were great. The cocktail shrimp was about the best I have had. There was a superb pork appetizer, and the dry ham, although I couldn't tell if it was Italian or Spanish, was good. The Japanese-style seafood was good. The best dessert, in my opinion, was the crepe suzettes.

On the bad side, the salad was mediocre, at best. The pasta bar rather unremarkable. But most disappointing were the carvery meats. Both the lamb and beef were so overdone as to be inedible. The ham was very so-so, but the duck was OK. I have had better lamb at both Molly Malones and the Londoner, and while the beef was a better quality cut than available at those two Sunday roasts, at least those two places can prepare it correctly. And the ham at the Londoner is much better than what I had today.

For service, part of the problem is that they tried too hard. I went to get a bowl of soup, then got back to my table to find I had no spoon. I went back to get my spoon and came back to find my soup gone. I went to get more soup, and you guessed it, my spoon was gone. A little later, I went to get another dish, and I came back to find my half-drunken orange juice, my water, and my napkin gone.

The maitre de was very pleasant and helpful, but when I pointed out there were none of the little dessert spoons out, he reached in a drawer and handed me one--by the bowl of the spoon. His thumb was in the bowl as he handed it to me.

The tempura was let to run out, and it was not replenished for at least 30 minutes.

Finally, at the Marriot, Sukothai, and others, non-alcoholic drinks are included in the price. Not at Lord Jim's. Much to my surprise, my three orange juices were 630 baht. Admittedly the juice was good, but I think this is excessive, especially as one of them was a replacement for the half-drunken juice that was taken away.

Overall, the Sukothai and the less-expensive Marriott are better, in my opinion. And even the >500 baht Londoner and Molly Malones can beat Lord Jims in a few areas. Was it good? Yes. But not worth the price even if the raw ingredients were high-quality. The bottom line is how it tastes, and prime rib tougher than shoe leather just doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

There is only a slight difference between their Sunday Brunch and Weekday Lunch Buffets, the biggest of them being the price difference.

I highly recommend everyone to skip on their Sunday Brunch and just go for the normal weekday buffets for value and the experience.

There is only a slight difference between their Sunday Brunch and Weekday Lunch Buffets, the biggest of them being the price difference.

I highly recommend everyone to skip on their Sunday Brunch and just go for the normal weekday buffets for value and the experience.

Out of curiosity, what is the weekday price?

Out of curiosity where would you say the best sunday brunch is? I have done a few but havent been for a while (due to hangovers). Would be looking at the 500-900 baht range with more traditional sunday dinners and a quality carvery.

Thanks

Great review and good to know. It's frustrating to pay top dollar for what is supposed to be a magnificent culinary experience and end up with overcooked meat. When you find a good value, good quality food experience, stick with it. The Marriott's buffets are great and fairly-priced. Never been to Lord Jim's but if the chance arises, I would probably pass based on this review.

Great review and good to know. It's frustrating to pay top dollar for what is supposed to be a magnificent culinary experience and end up with overcooked meat. When you find a good value, good quality food experience, stick with it. The Marriott's buffets are great and fairly-priced. Never been to Lord Jim's but if the chance arises, I would probably pass based on this review.

That was my thought as well. When two less-than-500-baht Sunday roasts can do the carvery meat better, well, that is disappointing. It's too bad, too, as some of the food was quite excellent.

I also think the Marriott is quite good, and it is priced less than other "premium" brunches. I have not tried the 3,000 baht brunch at Central World, but I do like the Sukothai, and it is at about the same price range as Lord Jim's.

Out of curiosity where would you say the best sunday brunch is? I have done a few but havent been for a while (due to hangovers). Would be looking at the 500-900 baht range with more traditional sunday dinners and a quality carvery.

Thanks

There are some people who really know the Bangkok brunches who sometimes post here. I don't think I have gone to one from the 500-900 baht range, but I have always liked Molly Malones for the sub-500 baht range. And in another thread, some people recommended the Londoner, which is also below 500 baht, and so I recently tried it. I agree that for the price, it is pretty darn good.

My wife and I were at the lunchtime buffet last Wednesday. This is the second time we've been. It's 1300baht per person and we paid 3366baht in total including 2 cokes, service and vat. (£70ish) The food was very, very good with a great range of choices, seafood, carvery, sushi, tempura and a huge range of mouthwatering deserts. The beef at the carvery was rare and you could cut it with a spoon it was so tender. The ham and chicken were equally as tasty. There was a constant stream of servers replenishing the trays with more food. I haven't been to any other buffets or brunches in Bangkok so I can't make a comparison. I think it's worth the money.

I need to try one of these brunches. I've never had one... So people vote the Marriot being a good one?

The best, in my humble opinion, is the Sheraton on Sukhumvit soi 15 because a) they are the only place that consistently has all you can eat alaskan king crab (unusual because its an expensive item) B) live Jazz band (often from the US). Second choice- and for a more intimate, romantic atmosphere, would be four seasons sunday brunch.

I need to try one of these brunches. I've never had one... So people vote the Marriot being a good one?

The best, in my humble opinion, is the Sheraton on Sukhumvit soi 15 because a) they are the only place that consistently has all you can eat alaskan king crab (unusual because its an expensive item) cool.png live Jazz band (often from the US). Second choice- and for a more intimate, romantic atmosphere, would be four seasons sunday brunch.

I love king crab, so I might need to give it a try, but if you say the brunch is good, that makes it certainly worth trying out.

I have tried the buffet dinner at the Sheraton Grande, and I was not too impressed. Nothing really wrong with it, only that there are better choices out there. But I have never eaten at the smaller Sheraton on Soi 15.

Weekday lunch at Lord Jims is around 1300++.

I am also a fan of Sheraton Grande SUkhumvit's Sunday Brunch. Its held at the living room on the 1st floor of the hotel where they open up the Living Room, Rossinis and Basil for a large Brunch. Different from their regular buffet dinners and lunches which are at the Orchid Cafe on the lobby level. 2700++ per person with free flow open bar and live jazz music.

I've never had a buffet at Four Points by Sheraton at SUkhumvit 15, but their "Beer Vault" serves plenty of nice beers on tap for some of the best prices in Bangkok! 160 or 170 Nett for a pint of Hoegaarden and good happy hour deals. The Ambar on the roof has a good atmosphere and good 1 for 1 cocktail promotion as well as shisha available. Service at Ambar is questionable but still good ambiance.

I am also a fan of Sheraton Grande SUkhumvit's Sunday Brunch. Its held at the living room on the 1st floor of the hotel where they open up the Living Room, Rossinis and Basil for a large Brunch. Different from their regular buffet dinners and lunches which are at the Orchid Cafe on the lobby level. 2700++ per person with free flow open bar and live jazz music.

I've never had a buffet at Four Points by Sheraton at SUkhumvit 15, but their "Beer Vault" serves plenty of nice beers on tap for some of the best prices in Bangkok! 160 or 170 Nett for a pint of Hoegaarden and good happy hour deals. The Ambar on the roof has a good atmosphere and good 1 for 1 cocktail promotion as well as shisha available. Service at Ambar is questionable but still good ambiance.

Some people clearly have more money than sense. My Sunday brunch yesterday on Soi 8 consisted of tom yam gung (the best I have ever tasted, with a huge number of large prawns), a whopping plate of steamed rice, and unlimited cups of free iced water, and it set me back a whopping 70 baht in total (tom yam 60, rice 10). I almost NEVER pay above 120 baht for any meal in Bangkok, and I eat like a king every day. And every day, I see dumb falangs sitting in hotel restaurants eating inferior tom yam gung which the menu quotes as 199 baht ++, and paying 30 or 40 baht for a small bottle of water, or 80 baht for a glass of fake orange juice made from concentrate, or worse, powder. Idiocy truly knows no bounds.

Just to add a little more to this, I told my business partner about this as he goes to Lord Jim's regularly. He told me this had to be an aberration as the beef and lamb are usually rare. Too rare for him, in fact, and he has to send it back for a little more cooking.

Maybe I just hit it on a bad day.

Some people clearly have more money than sense. My Sunday brunch yesterday on Soi 8 consisted of tom yam gung (the best I have ever tasted, with a huge number of large prawns), a whopping plate of steamed rice, and unlimited cups of free iced water, and it set me back a whopping 70 baht in total (tom yam 60, rice 10). I almost NEVER pay above 120 baht for any meal in Bangkok, and I eat like a king every day. And every day, I see dumb falangs sitting in hotel restaurants eating inferior tom yam gung which the menu quotes as 199 baht ++, and paying 30 or 40 baht for a small bottle of water, or 80 baht for a glass of fake orange juice made from concentrate, or worse, powder. Idiocy truly knows no bounds.

i think what you mean is that some people clearly have more money than YOU.

Nobody here is looking for a tom yam gung for brunch, if you cant understand that, <snip>

Edited by soundman
Play nice please.

OP should forward this to the hotel FB director. One thing about the Oriental is constructive criticism is highly valued by them and they act and respond ASAP.

Ref King crab try the Buffet at Grand Millennium on a Friday and Saturday night. Often have citibank promo's 50% off or come 4 pay 2. Free Flow wine.

Edited by negreanu

'Idiocy truly knows no bounds'

You just proved that statement

• 1 month later...

i think what you mean is that some people clearly have more money than YOU.

Nobody here is looking for a tom yam gung for brunch, if you cant understand that, <snip>

he is just jealous