Rating Thailand Compared To Its Neighbours

hermespan

I am researching biking sites as to the pros and cons of Siam vs. Malaysia, Myanmar, etc. Along this line perhaps some bicyclists (long distance or suburban) would care to critique: safety, unique features, ease etc. For the moment I expect to buy a half-decent easily repairable bike (electric or 100% manual haven't decided) in JB or Singapore and make my way slowly to Chiang Mai.

..I was just in พม่า -- Myanmar/Burma and you can enter the border town across from Mae Sai into Taichileik.

You will be stuck in this border town. Myanmar has months if not years yet before it opens up.

No way are you getting past the army check posts. Laos and Thailand are best places to tour.

Stay outta VietNam and Cambodia.

Hi

Thailand is great for cycling. I live in Chiang Rai (not Mai) and we have some of the best topography the cycling world has to offer.

I have done many long distance rides throughout Thailand starting with an epc ride three years ago from Chiang Rai following teh Mekong River all the way until it leaves Thailand in the South East corner of the region know as Isaan. Total trip 1612 Km in 15 days. SInce then have done Bangkok to Chiang Rai and back 900 and 800 km respectively (different routes)

I find that there is far morpe respect given to cyclists here than many will admit to. Provided you have your wits about you and remain aware that you are just a small spec on the hard shoulder you will not have many problems if any. There are a multitude of places to stay on trips like these in Thailand ranging from large cities and towns where hotel rooms can cost from as little as 500 Baht per nite to your credit card saying "ouch" out in the country there is always a guest house, home-stay or small hotel for cheaper.

On average I try to cover around 120 - 150 Km per day which at a fairly low average of say 23 Km/hour is not a particularly hard day's cycling. If you enter the South of Thailand you will encounter a few days of hilly country which will then flatten out until you get maybe 300 Km north of Bangkok when the hills emerge again.

Hope this helps you. As for an electric bike. You might as well travel on the train, no fun at all.

Cheers, safe miles bring big smiles.

AjarnP

p.s I ride a Cannondale R900 Sportive on my trips. It is all aluminium with carbon front forks to soak up the vibration. Great with my Ortlieb panniers on the back which carry enough to survive on for months at a time. PM if you'd like a photo

Edited by AjarnP
  • Like 1

..I was just in พม่า -- Myanmar/Burma and you can enter the border town across from Mae Sai into Taichileik.

You will be stuck in this border town. Myanmar has months if not years yet before it opens up.

No way are you getting past the army check posts. Laos and Thailand are best places to tour.

Stay outta VietNam and Cambodia.

Myanmar is a great place to ride. There are other places to enter besides Tachilek.

if you're looking for an easily repairable bike, you should eliminate an electric bike. They're not that common here. And have you thought about the need to recharge the battery?

burgdawg wrote...

"You will be stuck in this border town... No way are you getting past the army check posts. Laos and Thailand are best places to tour."

Stay outta VietNam and Cambodia."

The first assertion surprises me. What has changed? About 2002 I travelled by truck etc from Tachilek to a rebel group controlled border town near China (opposite Ruili). No problem from either group. Regarding your second point, care to elaborate? Does it have something to do with theit ghadtly road accident reputation?

Thank you AjarnP

I am learning from your topography and comfortable riding distances.what got me to thinking about cycling long distance in Thailand is having a middle age paunch and recalling when I lived in CNX for 5 months in 2001 and enjoying bicycling around town after nightfall. so cool, flat and quiet. Then anyway! Excursions into the countryside were refreshing.

However I am not a technically inclined guy and have no experience with fancy bikes.

The Boss warns about lack of familiarity with electric bikes and the (logistical or cost?) challenge of recharging. Good pointd, but what precisely did you mean? Visiting Vancouver, Canada bike shops (this city is a biking oasis relative to most metropolises) I was given more sobering advice... batteries are considered dangerous goods (or did he mean only pre-lithium monstrosities?) and subject to extra airline fees.

Cambo (aka the bodge) crap for cycling, but I haven't been there for three years.

Malaysia narrow roads, east coast less traffic.

Thai roads well made, now many pickups rather than motorbikes, great for (careful) cycling. AA

Thank you AjarnP

I am learning from your topography and comfortable riding distances.what got me to thinking about cycling long distance in Thailand is having a middle age paunch and recalling when I lived in CNX for 5 months in 2001 and enjoying bicycling around town after nightfall. so cool, flat and quiet. Then anyway! Excursions into the countryside were refreshing.

However I am not a technically inclined guy and have no experience with fancy bikes.

Hey, I even have trouble winding up a manual wind wristwatch these days. From my travels I reckon that if you could cover a map of Thailand in 100km diameter circles the each and every one would have a pretty good bike shop/mechanic these days. The sport/activity is still booming and at least every Provincial Capital has a Trek dealer it seems.

There is no need to go super fancy A triple (sometimes called "Granny" ring in the front (Chain Set) and a 10 gear cassette giving you a range of between 11 and 28 teeth will get you up most if not all the hills you will encounter. Also do not scrimp on a saddle. I use a FIZIK Alliante which fits my padded posterior to a tee and has more then 10K Km on it now. Look for a bike that all up will not weigh more than about 10 - 12 Kg without bags. On long distances I have now learned that the first trip I made was done carrying far too much. All you need is three sets of cycling shorts/jerseys, One to wear, one drying on top of the pannier rack and one dry inside to put on after the rain. (lol) A couple of liteweight pants and T shirt combos is great for evenings and usually accepted by the best hotels when you arrive by bike. A couple of inner tubes, a decent mini pump and a multi tool and you are flying.

If you have time get a book called "The Zinn Book of Roadbike Maintenance" (I got mine through that South American River company) and learn a few basics. If anything serious goes wrong, flag down a passing buffalo and hitch to the next town. I now use a Garmin Edge 800 with all the SE Asian maps loaded it shows me where to stay which road is best and reminds me why my legs ache. it's also useful for finding bike shops too.

Travelling by bike hiot me too late in life I wish, Oh how I wish, I had started twenty years earlier. I'd have reached the moon by now. Get a bike, two thousand dollars (US) will get you one of the best point yourself in the general direction and say as the BASE jumpers do... See ya... and leave.

You will never ever regret it. I absolutely promise you.

Cheers,

AjarnP

• ..sure thing. Arrive Thailand to any town and purchase an electric bicycle or scooter--tons of bicycles and electric bikes at

bargain prices! You'll have them eating out of your hands. Then make your way to any town in Myanmar and have a good time. Keep going throughout China to Kunming.

No guides, passports or security police checkpoints for you, no sir! Knock yourself out!

We like riding in Thailand precisely because of the generous shoulders and road quality. The friendly atmosphere, great food, inexpensive yet clean lodging.

Once you Tour Cambodia, VietNam, China, Laos and Myanmar, report back....

we'd all love to hear of your ride report.

Dunno about other bicycle Tourers, the issue is heat and electolytes. Hydration is a huge issue.

Unless I've been missing out on a hidden stash, energy bars, vitamins, protein powder and various gels are missing from SE Asia.

Bring your own.

The Boss warns about lack of familiarity with electric bikes and the (logistical or cost?) challenge of recharging. Good pointd, but what precisely did you mean? Visiting Vancouver, Canada bike shops (this city is a biking oasis relative to most metropolises) I was given more sobering advice... batteries are considered dangerous goods (or did he mean only pre-lithium monstrosities?) and subject to extra airline fees.

I have no idea how much electricity it takes to recharge the batteries but I would imagine that in some places they would ask for a fee. The bigger problem is traveling thru places like Myanmar and Laos where you might wind up spending the night in a town where they barely have enough electricity to light a few bulbs for 3 hours a night. The whole town might be run off an extension cord attached to a dynamo in the river.

Electric bikes are ubiquitous in New York but in 7 years I've only seen one in northern Thailand.