Have I Missed Something All These Years

OK all you visa experts, I need enlightenment. Had a strange experience to day, which through me.

Now I am here on a non immigrant O multi entry spouse visa, the one you have to leave every 3 months. Have had this visa for years and never had 400,000 Baht laying around for more that a week.

Today went to the Ubon immigration Office on a totally different matter, letter for a bike license, which the driving license people had given me to take to the Immigration Police.

Refused as I had the wrong visa for a letter of residence, now I know it is useless arguing over these things, smiled said thank you. Now wife starts talking to the policewoman, not about visas etc, but our kids, where we live etc the way Thai women do, I head out for a smoke.

Now things get strange, my wife is or would have been a school teacher and studied for 3 years in Uni in OZ as well, speaks very good English. She calls me back in, where the nice police woman and what must have been the boss are all smiles and laughing. I sit down, now my Thai is not good, but I know the difference in Thai between days and months. Wife smiles and says, they can change you over to the retirement with spouse 400,000 Baht in bank permission to stay thing. I say I know that, but where are we going to find that kind of money to leave laying in a bank for 2 months. Bit more banter and reply. If your wife can get the money put in your bank and come next day. I was taken aback as I had never heard of this. No need to get proof that they money came in, no nothing just show the money in the bank on the day.

Have I been missing something all these years, is there some clause in the order that allows you do this after some many years of living on multi entry visas. is it that we own a LTD Partnership company or is it that the guy in charge just has the discretion in some situations, or was it all a wind up. Have to say everyone seemed on the up and up. By the way there was no one in the office all this time, everything seemed like they just wanted to help.

As is the norm miss communications are usual, but as I said wife speaks very good English. Now I have to find 300,000 and see what happens. Jim

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Marriage extension paperwork with proof of funds in bank for 2/3 months goes to Bangkok so no local corruption. You can get letter from immigration for bike stuff with the correct paperwork or from your Embassy, better still get a yellow house book for yourself then noooo probs.

Load of Crap or load of disgresion in some situations . maybe he's getting a Retirement Visa. Yeah. Rules is Rules and all that but TIT whistling.gif

Retirement requires 800,000 in the bank, looked at in Bangkok the same. sad.png . Edited by transam

Jim, they are just doing you a favour, one off , probably because they liked your wife. I've known other Guys get special treatment too. just keep it quiet ;-)

And don't mention it on a Forum or anything laugh.png

You maybe right r and the mods should delete the threat and if I post again it will mean a no go, if not it worked. Jim

Retirement extension requires 800k in bank regardless of marriage or children. But you mentioned children so that could be the extension being talked about as there is no seasoning requirement for that. You are the father of Thai children?

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

• Like 1

Retirement extension requires 800k in bank regardless of marriage or children. But you mentioned children so that could be the extension being talked about as there is no seasoning requirement for that. You are the father of Thai children?

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average

annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a

money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within

a year.

That may very well be what they are talking about. As I said communication is often lacking. I. as normal just sit and smile, wife does the talking and I will get her version of what was said. Will find out sooner or later. They gave her the paperwork to fill out, can't hurt to give it a try. Jim

I have made the assumption you are Australian, is this correct? I am Australian, dual actually, British as well.

I use the Ubon Immigration Office and they are always very friendly and never had a problem with their service.

For nearly seven years I have been on a retirement visa doing the THB800,000 thing up till this year.

In the last few months prior to renewing my visa I found out that you can visit the Australian Embassy in Bangkok and sign a Statutory Declaration saying you have a minimum income of THB65,000/month.

I did this in March, a week before my visit to immigration.

I took the Stat Dec along with my passport and required immigration forms, no bank books or anything else relating to finances. They accepted it all and my passport was stamped for another year. Could not believe how easy it was after all the years keeping THB800,000 in the bank.

I think, not sure, all embassies do the same but with different requirements, this was the Australian system I am quoting.

I have made the assumption you are Australian, is this correct? I am Australian, dual actually, British as well.

I use the Ubon Immigration Office and they are always very friendly and never had a problem with their service.

For nearly seven years I have been on a retirement visa doing the THB800,000 thing up till this year.

In the last few months prior to renewing my visa I found out that you can visit the Australian Embassy in Bangkok and sign a Statutory Declaration saying you have a minimum income of THB65,000/month.

I did this in March, a week before my visit to immigration.

I took the Stat Dec along with my passport and required immigration forms, no bank books or anything else relating to finances. They accepted it all and my passport was stamped for another year. Could not believe how easy it was after all the years keeping THB800,000 in the bank.

I think, not sure, all embassies do the same but with different requirements, this was the Australian system I am quoting.

Same same OZ. UK and that is news to me that a stat dec from the OZ embassy was allowed. Always thought that only the brethren from the ex colony could get way with that. Things change all the time and good to hear, may save the road from hell to Chong Mek and the $30 US I have to pay. Not to mention the passports I go through. Jim

Sounds like the OP is being nicely railroaded sweet talked into a visa that he doesn't really need if he was only seeking a letter to approve a Thai DL application. If the OP was happy to hop out of the country every 3 months on the multi-O, then there's no need to change. I was on multi-B and then multi-O visas and popped in and out since I was working in Vietnam and Malaysia. However, with the multi-O, I was able to get the yellow tibian bahn which the Udon LTO accepted in lieu of the Immigration letter when I applied for my first Thai DL. Some Amphurs have a reputation for dicking yellow book applicants about or even denying them (like in Nongbua Lamphu) so maybe a quick check of the yellow book sticky to see if the Ubon Amphur is farang friendly and then go that route... and keep your money where it's safe.

Sounds like the OP is being nicely railroaded sweet talked into a visa that he doesn't really need if he was only seeking a letter to approve a Thai DL application. If the OP was happy to hop out of the country every 3 months on the multi-O, then there's no need to change. I was on multi-B and then multi-O visas and popped in and out since I was working in Vietnam and Malaysia. However, with the multi-O, I was able to get the yellow tibian bahn which the Udon LTO accepted in lieu of the Immigration letter when I applied for my first Thai DL. Some Amphurs have a reputation for dicking yellow book applicants about or even denying them (like in Nongbua Lamphu) so maybe a quick check of the yellow book sticky to see if the Ubon Amphur is farang friendly and then go that route... and keep your money where it's safe.

Not as simple, last year saw the Det Udon license people, at that time no problem, but have bought a bigger bike and wanted the bike license. Things have changed, they wanted the letter from immigration.

As for money it is all here, live and earn my income here and before you ask, no work permit needed. have been happy with the 3 month border runs. no problem. 1 hour to Chong Mek. It was just the way that they seem to think I could swap over from border runs to reporting and that throw me and I didn't understand. It may be the kids or there may have been some changes in h Immigration procedures. Rules are rules and laws are laws, but how they are interpreted changes.

I know there are some very clued up people on this forum and was just asking. I can live as I have forever, but if there is a better, easier why, may as well go for it. Jim

Jim, they are just doing you a favour, one off , probably because they liked your wife. I've known other Guys get special treatment too. just keep it quiet ;-)

Too late to NOT mention on forum!!!!

"Retirement requires 800,000 in the bank, looked at in Bangkok the same."

Retirement extension applications do not go to Bangkok, at least not prior to getting them like marriage extensions do. Never heard they go there after the fact.

"As for money it is all here, live and earn my income here and before you ask, no work permit needed."

Can you explain how that's legally possible? I've always been under the assumption that to work here legally you are required to have a WP. Non Imm F holders might not be, but you've said you have an O.

Paying taxes without a WP is possible, but on it's own doesn't make working here legal.

Terry

I have done business with at least 5 Immigration offices in the last 9 1/2 years I have been in Thailand. No two have been the same as requirements needed for a visa or visa extension. If you read the requirements for a visa on the official web site the last item will be ( Or and other documentation the Officer may require ) Each Office seems to work with its own set of rules. I have always been treated with respect and they have provided very good service. During the past two years it has improved beyond my expectations. Just getting more organized and faster service than ever before. I just thought I would tell you how I felt about Thai Immigration Good People willing to help you any way they can.

• Like 1

"Retirement requires 800,000 in the bank, looked at in Bangkok the same."

Retirement extension applications do not go to Bangkok, at least not prior to getting them like marriage extensions do. Never heard they go there after the fact.

"As for money it is all here, live and earn my income here and before you ask, no work permit needed."

Can you explain how that's legally possible? I've always been under the assumption that to work here legally you are required to have a WP. Non Imm F holders might not be, but you've said you have an O.

Paying taxes without a WP is possible, but on it's own doesn't make working here legal.

Terry

The bit of the work permit I miss out on is the work part.

Google my name with Issan or Thailand, you will find me. Jim

haha thats a beauty jim.... now delete this and thats that.

you did have the correct visa to get a proof of residance a non O is OK for this. You will be going back to do some thing which is illegal and with them knowing you have 400k in the bank. I know what i would do or not do as the case maybe.

you did have the correct visa to get a proof of residance a non O is OK for this. You will be going back to do some thing which is illegal and with them knowing you have 400k in the bank. I know what i would do or not do as the case maybe.

Not following you, what's illegal. If as one of the above post says, they are talking about an extension of stay for supporting children and there is no time set for the money in the bank. Then they are being helpful and showing me an easier way.

Now thanks to another poster, I find I don't even need money in the bank as they are excepting stat decs from the OZ embassy.

I am no visa etc expert and getting facts is hard, my wife though speaking very good English is not a lawyer and to her I have retired. They asked what I used to do, then explained what I needed to do to change from border runs to reporting. As to under which section the extension was I don't know, ergo the question here.

There was nothing to suggest that they were bending any rules, just that I could do it this way.

When the wife gets some free time I will go over the paper work they gave us. Only 2 sheets of paper, one in Thai and English with space for a photo, spaces for passport, address etc and one in Thai with some places where they have ticked, presumable what supporting documents.

Nothing untoward, just helpful friendly RTIP. Jim

...I am no visa etc expert and getting facts is hard...

You need not be a visa expert, and the facts are easy to get from from these two documents:

Thai Police Order 777/2551 – basis for extension of stay

Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551 – documents for extension of stay

To understand the various options for an annual extension of stay that have been mentioned to you, you should realise that you qualify for two different types of extension, each with its own requirements for proof of finances and for documents, and you are free to choose the type of extension that suits you best. Look at these rules in the above-mentioned documents:

Rule 2.18(3) Extension for the reason of living with Thai wife – for short, marriage extension

Rule 2.18(5) Extension for the reason of living with Thai child – for short, parent extension

Please note that there is a translation error in the text of Rule 2.18(5). Correctly, it should read "In the case of a parent, that parent must...", ie in your case, where you are the foreign parent applying for the extension, you have to meet the specified requirements, it cannot be your wife, but as an immigration officer explained to you, if you choose the method of 400k in the bank it does not matter where this money comes from, your wife or anybody else can remit it to your bank account or give you the cash to deposit in your account.

For both types of extension, the amounts of the financial requirements are the same. The difference is that if you choose the method of money in the bank, for the marriage extension this money must be in your account for at least two months before you submit your application; for the parent extension this requirement of "seasoning" the money does not exist.

From what you wrote, your prefer the income method and for this method you have been given the correct information that you need a so-called embassy letter, ie an affidavit or statutory declaration about the foreign-earned income, on which your embassy or consulate certifies the authenticity of your signature. There have been rare cases where an immigration officer also wanted to see supporting documents for this income. If the income is earned in Thailand, you don't need the embassy letter but instead tax receipts and a work permit for the extension of stay.

P.S. If your wife would like to read the two documents in Thai, here are the links:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=143308

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.immigration.go.th%2Fnov2004%2Fdoc%2Ftemporarystay%2Fpolicy305-2551_th.pdf

Thank you one and all.

It does seem that I have been missing something all these years. Never knew the Australian Embassy allowed statutory declarations for income. Always believed you had to prove you had a pension.

On the family extensions again always though money had to be from overseas and in the bank for 3 months.

Have a friend who has 3 kids and has been on non imm Os for more then 12 years. Like me they make their living as farmers and having large sums of money laying round for months just never happens. He will be over the moon if he can stop the yearly trip to a friendly Asian country for his O visa, as will I.

Thanks again and should have asked years ago. Jim

I got knocked back for the registration letter last week . I need some letter to show my adress in Thailand to change my 1 year driving liscence to a 5 year driving liscence . I am on a non o single marriage visit from Hong Kong . Last year I was given such a letter this year they said I must be in the country for more than 90 days before they will issue such a letter of registration . This was at Phibun . I was advised on the motoring forum that I could get such a letter from the local police . I will pay a visit to them tomorow .

Listening to your story Jim I wish I had taken my son up to Phibun , along with the relative papers .

I got knocked back for the registration letter last week . I need some letter to show my adress in Thailand to change my 1 year driving liscence to a 5 year driving liscence . I am on a non o single marriage visit from Hong Kong . Last year I was given such a letter this year they said I must be in the country for more than 90 days before they will issue such a letter of registration . This was at Phibun . I was advised on the motoring forum that I could get such a letter from the local police . I will pay a visit to them tomorow .

Listening to your story Jim I wish I had taken my son up to Phibun , along with the relative papers .

It pays to have cute kids here and that 3 month thing may have been why they knocked back the letter. I had been in OZ for 3 months having the eye op.

Tell me how you go with the local police and come on over for the night, need a drinking partner, the dog doesn't talk much. Jim

It pays to have cute kids here and that 3 month thing may have been why they knocked back the letter. I had been in OZ for 3 months having the eye op.

Tell me how you go with the local police and come on over for the night, need a drinking partner, the dog doesn't talk much. Jim

I am only here on a short visit Jim , but , I am heading to Det Udom on thursday for a few beers outside Tesco at the market , check the Issan forum , come up and tell a few stories .