Retirement Visa - Outbound Ticket Question

JustCurious

Hello:

If I enter Thailand on a one-year, long stay OA visa, do I still need to show immigration an outbound ticket?

When I contacted immigration recently, I was told that besides my one-way ticket I should purchase an open ticket as well.

I thought people entering on long stay visas would be exempt from this unlike travelers on tourist visas who do need to show proof of outbound transit.

Thanks for your assistance.

Welcome to Thailand where individuals can make-up the rules as they go along. Seriously

that shouldn't be required but telling an official it isn't required isn't going to work. Politely

ask to speak to the boss and that usually curtails the freelance rule making, though it

won't happen instantly. What has happened is that the person will disappear for a while

then return to tell you that the boss is making an exception in your case and next time

do it the "right" way.

• Like 2

I enter Thailand every month or two on an "O" visa and not once have been asked by immigration for any ticket out. Even on an exempt entry they don't ask. It is the airlines at your point of origin that ask from time to time, but with a visa they'll let you on board.

Has anyone ever been asked to show a return ticket on any visa, I dont know anyone who has and I have not been asked.

But I always get a return ticket for 2 reasons.

Firstly the price of a retrun flight is never more than 20% more than a one way ticket....so it makes a one way look very expensive.

Secondly most of the airlines I fly with (emirates, ethihad, qatar) always allow you one "flight date change" for a small admin fee so you are to a certain extent flexible as to when the need arises for you to return.

So although you are unlikely to be asked for a return, I think its wise to have one.

You can come to Thailand on a one-way ticket if you have a visa, especially a long-stay visa like an O-A. The rule is enforced by the airlines at the point of origin, not by Thai Immigration. When you enter Thailand no one from Immigration will ask to see an outbound ticket, especially for that O-A visa -- they want you to stay here forever as long as you spend money and don't get into trouble with the police.

Edited by NancyL

A creative travel agent can often print out an imaginary return itinerary or e-ticket which they immediately cancel within their system, but leave you the original printout. The one time I was asked, this work without question.

I cannot say for sure, but, what about the traveler who wants to travel throughout Thailand for a couple, 3, or 4 weeks (as allowed upon arriving at an international airport), and then by bus, train, or other land transport--or air--go on to Laos, Cambodia, Burma, or Malaysia? No return airfare is needed, and no visa need be purchased.

As for me, I did enter Thailand on a one-way ticket, but I had a tourist visa.

To reiterate though, the airline, if anyone, will question the one-way ticket since apparently it's their obligation to take you back if on the improbable chance you were to be refused entry to Thailand.

I have an O-A visa and have had one for years. I take flights from Thailand to the USA and return to Thailand, so no outbound ticket on my arrival in Thailand. It should be no problem entering with a one way ticket on an O-A (long-stay) visa. However, I have noticed that round trip tickets from the USA are now cheaper than round trip from Bangkok, so you may want to keep that in mind if you plan on a return visit within a year or less. Used to be cheaper round trip from Thailand. Not sure of the pricing to other countries though. If your O-A visa is not a muti-entry and you are planning on leaving Thailand for any reason, be sure you have a re-entry permit, obtained at you local Thai Immigration Office for 1,000 Baht per entry.

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

A creative travel agent can often print out an imaginary return itinerary or e-ticket which they immediately cancel within their system, but leave you the original printout. The one time I was asked, this work without question.

Strange post.

I have never heard of any one being asked for proof of a return ticket.

I have heard much talk about it but no experience with it.

Now you tell me you were asked for one and it just so happened that you had a dummy one.whistling.gif

Strange post.

Now you tell me you were asked for one and it just so happened that you had a dummy one.whistling.gif

Way back in the days I used the visa on arrival method I got caught out a couple of time with 'ticket out of Thailand' requirement. Once in Singapore and once in Korea. Solution - bought a full fare ticket from Singapore to Phuket on credit card, then cashed in the ticket at Phuket for refund on my credit card.

Strange post.

In all my years travelling to and from Thailand, I have never been asked for ANYTHING at Thai immigration, ticket, money, place to stay.......nothing!

I've only ever had to open my bags once at customs and that was in Chiang Mai coming in on an international flight.

Edited by uptheos

Yeah, as I said, it's not Thai Immigration at the airport that's going to create a problem, but the airline at departure.

There's some sort of urban legion that the airlines have to be responsible for taking you out of the country (for free) if you're turned away by Thai Immigration at the airport. That won't happen if you have a valid visa, especially one as sterling as the O-A visa.

• Like 1