• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thumbsup.gif Mods! Thank you for not banning me!thumbsup.gif

Yes I know its a thankless job.

So why mess with tradition?

Next ...coffee1.gif

Using reverse logic ... would it be a thankful task if you were banned ... biggrin.png

I'll get my coat ...

laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

Razeell and bkkjames..you guys joined TV within two days of each other...7 years ago.

Has anyone ever see the two of them together at the same time?

Just saying.

vampire.gif

Edited by zzdocxx
  • Like 1

One aspect of moderation which I find works extremely well and which I frequently use is the REPORT function.

We too often see totally unacceptable posts from people, racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content.

When I've seen something I find totally unacceptable I've hit the REPORT button, given a brief note on why I want to report the post, and its almost always gone within moments, or the particularly offensive content is edited out.

I think this is a great way to moderate as obviously the more eyes on these issues the better, and it also avoids members who find something offensive, reposting it in a response, which only further propagates the spread of the offensive content.

So for me the best moderation is members reporting the really offensive stuff as and when they find it.

I come from a country where reporting the class enemy was everybody's duty until 1989.

It is disgusting that we see this mindset pop up again. But I acknowledge your freedom to have that mindset.

I hope the mods here will continue to exercise some liberal tradition to free speech and free thinking.

• Like 1

There are aspects of TV moderation that I have very firmly held views against, but this thread is not about what's wrong with moderation, nor do I wish to make it so.

One aspect of moderation which I find works extremely well and which I frequently use is the REPORT function.

We too often see totally unacceptable posts from people, racism, misogynism or other forms of unacceptable content.

When I've seen something I find totally unacceptable I've hit the REPORT button, given a brief note on why I want to report the post, and its almost always gone within moments, or the particularly offensive content is edited out.

I think this is a great way to moderate as obviously the more eyes on these issues the better, and it also avoids members who find something offensive, reposting it in a response, which only further propagates the spread of the offensive content.

So for me the best moderation is members reporting the really offensive stuff as and when they find it.

lovely. a pompous censor.

so not only do we have moderators, our content is filtered through guesthouse and every other wannabee hall monitor as well.

so not only do we have moderators, our content is filtered through guesthouse and every other wannabee hall monitor as well.

I don't think it's to do with "censorship"...

More to do with common decency whistling.gif

RAZZ

P.S. At the moment I am currently banned from another forum so I'm no angel tongue.png

Do they really receive no benefit from being mods? It seems like quite a big job to do for free.

Anyhow, I think the mods are do a great job and are usually consistent, which I think is important.

From what I gather the Mods do it for free

That's right.

Do they really receive no benefit from being mods? It seems like quite a big job to do for free.

Anyhow, I think the mods are do a great job and are usually consistent, which I think is important.

From what I gather the Mods do it for free

That's right.

Free? That's harsh. Then it sounds like you did the "honorable" thing. whistling.gif

I come from a country where reporting the class enemy was everybody's duty until 1989.

It is disgusting that we see this mindset pop up again. But I acknowledge your freedom to have that mindset.

I hope the mods here will continue to exercise some liberal tradition to free speech and free thinking.

There are aspects of TV moderation that I have very firmly held views against, but this thread is not about what's wrong with moderation, nor do I wish to make it so.

The last time I used the REPORT button was to request the removal of personal details of someone who is not a member of TV (hence unable to defend themselves) and in any case suffering from a mental illness, aspects of which were being discussed.

As I've said, I also ask for racist, misogynist or overtly abusive posts to be removed - The Mods almost always agree or make edits to remove the offensive content.

Now, please get this very clear, if you have a problem with me reporting racism, misogynism, overtly abusive or posts revealing personal details of people who are mentally ill, then to be honest, I don't give a shit.

If the Mods disagree with reports they can choose to ignore them.

• Like 1

This thread really is bringing a tear to my eye.

As Jeff Fenech used to say:

'I love youse all!!!!!!!!' wub.png

Was he a Yooper? Sounds like people I grew up with.

Seriously though.... Like that famous quote from the 1400's said: "Manners maketh the man, and for everyone else we have Mods."

This thread really is bringing a tear to my eye.

As Jeff Fenech used to say:

'I love youse all!!!!!!!!' wub.png

Was he a Yooper? Sounds like people I grew up with.

Seriously though.... Like that famous quote from the 1400's said: "Manners maketh the man, and for everyone else we have Mods."

Fenech was an Australian boxer who won a few world titles, who would say in interviews and to his fans 'I love youse all!'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Fenech

Now, please get this very clear, if you have a problem with me reporting racism, misogynism, overtly abusive or posts revealing personal details of people who are mentally ill, then to be honest, I don't give a shit.

Not that I'm surprised.

But openly asking people to denunciate others who write in your view "unacceptable" posts is exactly that repulsive behaviour many would find worse than alleged "misogynism, racism" or whatever you think people should not be allowed to talk about.

Some never learn from history.

Ugh!!! where is my Kaopectate....<deleted> it's a job...!

What next a thread .."thank you Mr Taxman,Meter Maid,Immigration/government employee/officer, brewery...."??

"Thankyou all you beautiful working girls" would be more entertaining....lol

To the orignal OP, are you serious ?

The life you have now is a one time shot, it aint no dress rehearsal.

Let people express their views and make an effort to understand them.

Unless your names adolf.

Eh?

I'm all for free speech.

But do you want to read untold number of BS topics about "I've got $23m" or "what colour underpants shall I wear"???

Total inane drivel.

RAZZ

Are you prejudging the underpants thread, or is that an informed opinion after a careful and open-minded perusal?

I hadn't really marked you down as a snap-judgement 'condemn on first appearances' sort of a guy; I suppose I should have spent more time getting to know you...

Edited by StreetCowboy

How did a 'Nod to the Mods' turn into a debate of the Forum and a handbag slapping contest ... blink.png

To the majority of the Mods ... post-104736-0-74477500-1343169856_thumb.

'Azzabitlikemee, soitis, but Ah look mair cool, like. mair like Oh-Ma Sharriff, ken? Firallahknow...

RIBB

For goodness' sake Imam, we don't want people thinking that I talk like that.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

The last time I used the REPORT button was to request the removal of personal details of someone who is not a member of TV (hence unable to defend themselves) and in any case suffering from a mental illness, aspects of which were being discussed.

As I've said, I also ask for racist, misogynist or overtly abusive posts to be removed - The Mods almost always agree or make edits to remove the offensive content.

If the Mods disagree with reports they can choose to ignore them.

well, firstly i do not at all agree with the notion of you as a self-appointed arbiter of the acceptable. So in that sense i am happy that the moderators are in a position to ignore you as they see fit.

secondly, i would rather see those examples of racism, misogyny and right out in the open rather than deleted. they allow myself and other users to clearly understand who we are dealing with.

such posters should be clearly identified.

i suspect however if racism and misogyny were truly taboo here there would be very little movement in the general forum.

Like hands in the ruck, there are rules to follow, no moderation the forum would die on its feet, if you are honest, do you really expect that or want it?

I agree. A reasonable amount of moderation is an absolute necessity.
  • Like 1

Yes. I remember that, I had my beef with the guy, but he didn't deserve that.

We have a natural right to make use of our pens as of our tongue, at our peril, risk and hazard. ~Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique, 1764

I actually agree with the sentiment, but unfortunately Voltaire had never heard of the internet

• Like 1

I sense that those who extol the attributes of free speech, without exception, will jump like a cordon of demented slip fielders when they hear the nick of the willow, but there is no catch here, just the folly of free speech for all and the chaos that would ensue.

Please excuse this small diversion ... Mossfinn, with waxy lyrical like that, where were you in the Cricketing Thread?

It ended up being full of salty coffee drinkers and Cheer Squad selection.

Leading the Cheer ... opps, that was me goof.gif

So to the Mods, thanks for the light touch in that Cricketing thread, we appreciated the work of the 3rd Umpire there and the Mod's strong knees (they know what we mean).

• Like 1

Not that I'm surprised.

But openly asking people to denunciate others who write in your view "unacceptable" posts is exactly that repulsive behaviour many would find worse than alleged "misogynism, racism" or whatever you think people should not be allowed to talk about.

Some never learn from history.

Indeed some do learn from history:

I hope we have all learned from history that the road to atrocity starts with seemingly harmless derogatory remarks against people of other races - once identified as different, and associated with the accepted derogatory remarks we can all move to the next step along the road to getting rid of them.

Please, I've read many of the posts you have made on TV, I don't need you to lecture me on freedom of speech, history or the road to tyranny - you are not up to the job.

• Like 1