Non Imm O Visa Based On Marriage, But Not Married Yet

little background, me, 42, german national, staying in Thailand almost 9 years mainly on tourist visas with the odd non 'o'. Staying with the soon to me misses for most of the time, just too lazy to get into the hassle dealing with all the paperwork required for the marriage visa and enjoying the per forma freedom of not being handcuffed. Well, last time i went to get my tv double entry from Vientiane, the lady said it would be the last time they issue one there, and i thought she was right about it, enough of that uncertainty. So we spend the last 4 month gathering all the document, but thanks to the german bureaucracy i still waiting for the affirmation letter but my current visa is expiring soon.

Now the question: What are the changes for a non imm 'o' without the marriage certificate but all the other required docs, and which would be the 'best' place to apply for it?

i still have the option to extend the tv for 30 days and change the visa to non 'o' at BKK, but i would prefer to get a non 'o' first since i don't know how much longer they need to process my application

A non-O will not be issued without being married.

Get the extension on the tourist visa or go to Savanakhet and apply for a tourist visa there.

Thank you for answering, Mario. I don't understand why i should apply for a tourist visa instead of a non immigrant 'O' though

A non-O will not be issued without being married.

Get the extension on the tourist visa or go to Savanakhet and apply for a tourist visa there.

Thank you for answering, Mario. I don't understand why i should apply for a tourist visa instead of a non immigrant 'O' though

You are not married so you cannot apply for one

Apply for a Non Imm O Visa after you are married

Bummer, i didn't read the word "not" in Mario's reply, most likely because i didn't want it to be there in the first place...now it all makes perfect sensewink.png

So i guess i will get an extension and hope that the registry office won't find any more hoops to jump through and we will get everything done before that one expires as well.

One more thing, i read somewhere that we could marry in BKK without having the affirmation legalized by the MFA, is that true?

One more thing, i read somewhere that we could marry in BKK without having the affirmation legalized by the MFA, is that true?

Wrong, you need affirmation to get married from your embassy.

Translate it to Thai and have it confirmed-validated by MFA.,

I did this all in one day, no big deal.

Get a translation service that also makes the MFA validation stamp, if you don't like to sit in line for 4 hours, like I had to do.

Edited by PoorSucker

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this one........I mean,

Non Imm O Visa Based On Marriage, But Not Married Yet.

Can you imagine the conversation at a consulate?

Farang: I'd like to apply for a Non Imm O please.

Consulate: On what grounds?

Farang: Marriage to a Thai.

Consulate: No problem, marriage certificate please

Farang: Not actually married yet.

Consulate: Goodbye

cheesy.gif

Edited by Phatcharanan

Get a translation service that also makes the MFA validation stamp, if you don't like to sit in line for 4 hours, like I had to do.

ok, thanks...i found this information(dated may 2011) actually on the website of the German Embassy, according to them you'll get the affirmation in german and in thai and they also mentioned that the registry office at Bang Rak as an exception from the rule would give their blessings without the MFA validation stamp. Sounds too good to be true

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this one........I mean,

Non Imm O Visa Based On Marriage, But Not Married Yet.

Can you imagine the conversation at a consulate?

Farang: I'd like to apply for a Non Imm O please.

Consulate: On what grounds?

Farang: Marriage to a Thai.

Consulate: No problem, marriage certificate please

Farang: Not actually married yet.

Consulate: Goodbye

cheesy.gif

yep, quite funny, i kind of had the same pictures in my mind. And i had problems to imagine, chatting them into granting me a non 'o' purely on bills for translations, semi official docs from the embassy/local amphore and my 50/50 looks biggrin.png

ok, thanks...i found this information(dated may 2011) actually on the website of the German Embassy, according to them you'll get the affirmation in german and in thai and they also mentioned that the registry office at Bang Rak as an exception from the rule would give their blessings without the MFA validation stamp. Sounds too good to be true

It is true, i have done it myself. Bang Rak does need the MFA validation stamp. they will keep the thai version of the letter you get from the embassy. thats it. just make sure you turn up in bang rak early, as there can be a quite a queue. if you need copies to be made (you will) its just outside on the left hand. the staff in bang rak is quite helpful.

If you have any questions about it, just ask. like i said, i have done it just recently, including the visa run to savannakhet.

Why not just get married and nip down to KL for a new Non-O? Could then sort out marriage extension of Non-O next year; providing of course you can meet the required financial status.

If you would have followed the thread, he cant get married now as he is waiting for the correct papers to be sent back from germany. Without these documents he cant do the next move, which would be to make an apointment with the german embassy, after he finally got the "seal of approval§, than he can marry. but for now he is running short on his tourist visa.