Coffee Perfection - Chiang Mai

freedomnow

Try Aka Ama coffee city roast and Thom coffee at rimping Nim city. They're both good roasters

Both my father and my two younger brothers are into their coffee and each own a very expensive coffee maker and as well as grind their own coffee. I usually bring back a couple of bags of Wawee espresso beans to them - one of their favorite beans in the world. However, I was contemplating bringing back some new and different espresso beans this time - also locally grown. Any recommendations for espresso beans?

• Like 1

Both my father and my two younger brothers are into their coffee and each own a very expensive coffee maker and as well as grind their own coffee. I usually bring back a couple of bags of Wawee espresso beans to them - one of their favorite beans in the world. However, I was contemplating bringing back some new and different espresso beans this time - also locally grown. Any recommendations for espresso beans?

Waweesad.png Bring 'em back something better.

I personally think Wawee and Doi Change are too bitter and possess little else in general sad.png Perhaps they are good for making Thai coffee with plenty of sweetened condensed milk.

I don't know how many of you make your own coffee with the right very expensive tools as well, however, both my father and my brothers are baristas in the spare time and they make espresso and cappuccino without sugar, sweetener or any Thai invented things. They are Danish and make coffee as Italians. All their guests always complement them for their coffee. I don't drink coffee myself, however, people have different taste and maybe Wawee espresso beans are bitter for some. I don't think so as I have tasted my brothers/father's coffee when making it with Wawee espresso beans.

I just thought Thom and Butter is Better were just OK (ice latte Thom, hot latte Butter) .Just good.Same beans at Butter, but not the same finish.

I guess the coffee purists drink it black, but unfortunately I cannot.

Hello TongueThiaed - Just wondered if you've ever done your own roasting? I'm over in India, and was forced to do my own roasting in order to get any coffee besides Nescafe. Let me know - I'd be interested in what roasting machines might be available there.

Thanks,

Chris

Buy and Store Coffee in LOS

Making good coffee consistently is a science -- NOT an art. I confess I am a bit of a coffee snob. I enjoy drinking fresh roasted and ground coffee each morning, and insist on grinding the beans myself. I wrestled with the coffee thing for a couple years after arriving here (Phitsanulok). At first I could not even find whole beans, then discovered Doi Tung at Lotus, but at 250 baht for 200 grams, the price was ridiculous. Also, it had been on the shelf several weeks since roasting and was not fresh. e non-commercial consumer. They send it by post collect, which costs about 200 baht. When I open the last 500 gram sack (must ask for this size when ordering), I have my wife who speaks Thai call them to place another order. I highly recommend these people. Their quality has proven consistent and they have proven themselves completely reliable.

Enjoy.

to me the best coffee can be had at different times of the day. for eg, coffee tastes better in the morning. there is also the variable on how much alcohol you have had prior to the coffee and how much time has passed since you last drank beer chang.

my favorite coffee is Ipoh White Coffee 2 in 1 from Malaysia. Add sugar to taste. Price is I think 130 baht for 20 sachets or so but unfortunately not available here.

so that i dont get flamed for posting a dumb contribution to this thread, one of the most memorable coffee was had at Thom's at Rimping Nim. expensive but alright to have once in a month or every two months. coffee1.gif

1. - Thom - inside Rimping Nim City

2. - Cafe Amore - from Pantip going towards the Chedi about 100m from the intersection, on the right.

3. - Chuan Chom(sp?) - The women's prison in the center of town.

4. - Ama Ahka - Santhitam.

Actually 2 and 3 are tied and are interchangeable. There is a large gap between 1 and 2 , as well as, 3 and 4.

Most of the other places in town are over roasted, bitter and many time sludge-like.

BTW, this is for standard coffees

@ 3. - Chuan Chom(sp?) - The women's prison in the center of town.

Tried their ice latte 45 Baht (note you said standard coffee) .......for me it was just to charred and nothing really jumped out to make me go back...

For 35 Baht the Samlarn Road street vendor guy cannot be beat for ice latte so far, for me anyway...!

Thanks for your list...will try to see the rest...not to poo poo them but genuinely in search of coffee perfection.

Edited by freedomnow

I think "Thom" coffee is particularly good when the fat guy at Nim City make it.

There are so many new coffee peeps in Chiang Mai. This trade seems to attract people who know 'everything' about coffee, like the American guy on our moo baan, roasting all day long and stinking people's houses out. I think he's roasting in his garden on a very old fashioned contraption of a machine and, according to his booth at the recent Lanna Food thingy, claims he has the best roast, most up to d ate methods and all sorts. For a start he shouldn't be roasting in a Moo Baan!