Divorcing at the same Amphoe as the marriage was registered

Hi,

Did anyone divorced without a legalised passport translation?

I found the following on internet:

The required documents for the uncontested divorce are as follows:

• If divorcing at the same Amphoe as the marriage was registered:
    • Marriage certificates
    • Identification card (Thai spouse)
    • Tabien Baan for the (Thai spouse)
    • Passport (foreign spouse)
  • If divorcing at a different Amphoe:
    • Marriage certificates
    • Identification card (Thai spouse)
    • Tabien Baan for the (Thai spouse)
    • Passport (foreign spouse)
    • Legalised translation of the foreigner’s passport

The legalised translation of the foreigner passport is really a pain in the ass, taking long time and I'm far from BKK, I would have to go and back few times.

It seems straight forward and easy to go to the Amphoe as the marriage was registered.

Do I have to get an appointment for this? is there an official form to fill?

4 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

If you are going to BKK there are usually a lot of places around the Embassy area who would do same day translation.

no, need appointment at the embassy to make the copy certified then bring it to be translated which can take a day then go back with another appointment to the embassy on another very different day then at Lak Si again to get the copy certified too, Lak Si can take the full day so better to go very early morning.

I got a legalised copy of whatever was required from a local lawyer in C M. Accepted by amphur in Lamphun.

Have you tried asking the amphur what they actually need? I did and saved myself a lot of headaches I'd have had if going by this forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suspect this may be one of those things that varies Amphur by Amphur. Well worth trying without the translation. If you then need it, oh well.

btw, I recently found out for other purposes that a certified copy of my passport by my country’s embassy in Bangkok, could then be translated into Thai by a local translation office in Udon, and then that translation office can arrange to have the thai translation certified by the Thai ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

you have to pay for the MOF certification of course, but it’s cheaper than going to Bangkok yourself.

Good Luck!

It looks I got lucky. I got divorced at the end of November 2023 at the Lak Si District Office. I had a renewed US passport with a different number. Without any confirmation, after 30 minutes I had a divorce certificate.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:26 PM, KhunLA said:

Not needed @ Amphur Muang, Udon Thani.   Didn't even get married there, but divorce was too easy, <15 mins, simply show up with Marriage Cert & IDs. 

Same for me at Bang Rak, Bangkok, no translation needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, Jo77 said:

Do I have to get an appointment for this? is there an official form to fill?

Appointments aren't required and there is documentation that the office completes.  Both parties and a witness need to be there.

On 5/16/2024 at 1:26 PM, KhunLA said:

Not needed @ Amphur Muang, Udon Thani.   Didn't even get married there, but divorce was too easy, <15 mins, simply show up with Marriage Cert & IDs. 

And the wife.