Government Speeds Up Measures To Ease Suvarnabhumi Airport Congestion

webfact

Government speeds up measures to ease Suvarnabhumi congestion

image_20120727122724C6E7522C-EAB1-6B4B-3C8F543DAF6FB28E.jpg

BANGKOK, July 27 – Thailand’s air transport-related agencies are speeding up measures to reduce congestion at the capital’s Suvarnabhumi Airport, Civil Aviation Department (CAD) Director-General Voradech Hanprasert said today.

Representatives from the department, Aeronautical Radio of Thailand, Airports of Thailand (AoT), and other concerned parties met to speed action on the issue, Mr Voradech said.

Officially the interagency report is proceeding through Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatr for prompt action.

One short-term measure to deal with the congestion includes more staffing at airport immigration arrival and departure channels, while Aeronautical Radio of Thailand is to increase air traffic control flights from 55 to 68 per hour, starting today.

According to the meeting's result, incentives to attract airlines to use the airport during 2-5am should be implemented to ease the congestion at there.

Airport fees, as collected by AoT, for take-off and landing, and for aircraft parking will be reduced 95 per cent during such period.

The Civil Aviation Department chief said the meeting called on AoT to speed up using its passenger screening system to improve passenger flow and reduce congestion at the airport, and asked for time management to be improved in accordance with international standards for both departing and arriving passengers.

Mr Voradech said AoT must see passengers to the aircraft within one hour, and release them from the airport to the city within 45 minutes.

Concerning long-term measures, Airports of Thailand is asked to speed up Suvarnabhumi Airport's expansion Phase II to support more passengers in the future.

Some 54 million passengers are expected to use the airport in 2017. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-27

• Like 2

This email headline was better

Immigration and Govt agencies speeds up Suvarnabhumi Airport congestion

made me think that the Thai Government was speeding up congestion

Edited by upena

"Airport fees, as collected by AoT, for take-off and landing, and for aircraft parking will be reduced 95 per cent during such period."

95% reduction! I can see congestion at that time as it will soon be peak time...

• Like 1

Did it realllly make you think that? Was the abbreviated email headline realllly that difficult to figure out? Too bad the rest of your post was removed. It would have been a lot of fun.tongue.png

Increase flights between 02:00 & 05:00? I am sure the neighbours will be delighted.

from 1949 until 1971 I lived in Brentford (suburb of London) on the flight path into Heathrow. Yes the noise was hoorrendous but very soon you became inured to it. TV/Radio & conversation slightly louder but became normal life.

Then in the 90's The CAA & FAA ruled that airlines were required to fit "hush kits" on the engines of jet aircraft which made the noise more tolerable. Since then more fuel efficient and considerably more quiet engines have been developed and on approach to landing planes glide and are far less obtrusive then ever before. Perhaps a moments thought before commenting would not go amiss.

"Perhaps a moments thought before commenting would not go amiss." Good luck around here on that note, matesmile.png

PS. "jellykookabanj" The next time that I choose an internet handle I would really like to consult with you first....great!

Increase flights between 02:00 & 05:00? I am sure the neighbours will be delighted.

from 1949 until 1971 I lived in Brentford (suburb of London) on the flight path into Heathrow. Yes the noise was hoorrendous but very soon you became inured to it. TV/Radio & conversation slightly louder but became normal life.

Then in the 90's The CAA & FAA ruled that airlines were required to fit "hush kits" on the engines of jet aircraft which made the noise more tolerable. Since then more fuel efficient and considerably more quiet engines have been developed and on approach to landing planes glide and are far less obtrusive then ever before. Perhaps a moments thought before commenting would not go amiss.

dont worry, the Olympics start today

IMO The worst part of Swampy is immigration

I have been in many airports around the world

Swampy is by far the slowest

Just awful

Get these people trained properly

and no training them on the job during peek arrival time is not the answer

• Like 1

nice, make some more noise at 2-5 am when people are sleeping

and who as a tourist when to depart or arrive so early in the morning ?

why not use more during the day? it is SUPER quiet now and it is almost 3 pm local time near swampie, where you can see and hear take off the planes...

I was coming through immigration 3 weeks ago from london. Luckily for me I had a Premier pass (bumped up by Eva to business class, thanks EVA) and I saw the horrendous queues in the first immigration hall. At least several hundred people queuing at 3 pm.

When I got to Premier there was a film crew filming a passenger arriving to get his passport checked by a "smiling" immigration girl.

If only.

I was second in queue of 2.

No queue for taxis as everyone else was still in immigration waiitng to get their passports checked.

My view is the staff were on a go-slow.

Loads of taxi touts in the airport and "TAT" staff.

They need to do something ASAP

If AOT wants to reduce congestion, close down the runways and reduce the amount of landings at SWAMPY and utilize DonMuang and U-Tapow. If the aircraft is landing just to take on extra passangers going abroad. If the floights are domestic DonMuang. If the flight is Russian than U-Tapow.

How many times have we heard this story.

Give it another 5 years and it will still be the same TIT

again, i was in THE airport, exactly 1 week ago, in total immigration, security= 35 mins, 2 1/2 hours lounge

where is the big problem?

There are for's and against's I guess. Had

client for meeting outside airport last Saturday just after lunch. He said it took 1 hour to get through Immigration.

I used to live in Longford - that was especially fun when they were still flying Concorde and taking off on 09L smile.png

I travel back and forth from Australia to Thailand up to 12 times per year and I have personally found the last couple of recent times this year have been a hell of alot faster coming in and also better going out............cheers all :)

Since Thai people do not hear noise, it should not be an issue. Have you EVER heard a Thai person complain about noise? Often times they say "What noise"?

Selective hearing perhaps ?

IMO The worst part of Swampy is immigration

I have been in many airports around the world

Swampy is by far the slowest

Just awful

Get these people trained properly

and no training them on the job during peek arrival time is not the answer

My Thai wife & I arrived back from a holiday visitting my family on England and the US about a month ago.

Boston, US. worst by far both at immigration AND coming out.

Heathrow. Not bad either way but slower being checked out.

Swampy. NO trouble or queues at all either way.

We have no complaints with Swampy other than delay of about 15 minutes before our plane could land thanks to repairs already having to be done.

I travel back and forth from Australia to Thailand up to 12 times per year and I have personally found the last couple of recent times this year have been a hell of alot faster coming in and also better going out............cheers all smile.png

Agreed! i have had the

same experiance :)

This seems to be a repeat of an article from earlier in the year. They have already increased immigration staff and have sped up processing times and lines. I have been through a number of times both foreign and domestic over the past months and it is like night and day of what it used to be. In fact, I am absolutely shocked that one of the busiest airports in the world (by passenger volume) and currently exceeding its designed volume can be as quick as it is now.

Gonna speed things up by adding almost 30% more flights....yessir! Speeding up congestion for sure.

When I flew into Thailand a couple of weeks ago, the jetliner I was on had to circle the airport for about 45 minutes.

The time was around 11:30 p.m.

I was wondering if perhaps there was that much traffic in the sky coming in, or if there were a limited amount of runways available due to maintenance

of the ones in dis-repair.