Safety Measures For Foreign Tourists In Thailand To Be Stepped Up

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's stay positive! At least they are doing something!

But it has been proven that this does not reduce crime: "more CCTV will be installed in various spots". And of course "a central tourist center will be established to be manned by staff who can speak 7 different languages and equipped with sufficient hotlines to communicate with tourists" is not really crime prevention either.

But more police patrol out on the streets are, that is a fact. This really helps. Of course only as far as it is put into effect.

To a large extent the ball is in our court: we have to try not to be too stupid and not too drunk, and thereby offering up ourselves as willing sacrifices. Keep your wits about you when out and try not to go alone and to places that have a bad reputation.

Also of course when it comes to obvious fraud / extorsion like seems to be the case with jet ski rental, we can demand that the authorities take action and stop this practice. A simple contract stating that the customer is not responsible for damages on the equipment. The renters should then calculate wear and tear as part of their operating expenses and be obliged to have insurance that would cover greater damges. Very simple. Then one of the police's job could simply be to check that the renters follow these regulations.

What think ye?

I can't wait to see your 3rd post.

Who the h$$ll is speaking in this country more than two languages(except issan and Thai )????and what they would be willing to pay them???? As my old father was always saying: first thinking- then talking .

How many languages do you speak? A lot more Thais speak a eoreign language than Englanders or yanks

• Like 2

Who the h$$ll is speaking in this country more than two languages(except issan and Thai )????and what they would be willing to pay them???? As my old father was always saying: first thinking- then talking .

How many languages do you speak? A lot more Thais speak a eoreign language than Englanders or yanks

Very big claim you have there!!

Goodness, you guys are scaring me!

I will be visiting Thailand from the 7th August for 2-3weeks. How do I avoid all these things?! I haven't the money to be having police scam me or anyone else for that matter. A couple of dollars here and there I can tolerate, but not frequent or large fines etc.

If I just go to cheap places and don't engage in all the expensive tourist stuff will I be okay?

I don't plan on riding jet skis or any expensive stuff, I might not even use a scooter if the risk of fines by corrupt police is high.

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

I will be visiting Thailand from the 7th August for 2-3weeks. How do I avoid all these things?! I haven't the money to be having police scam me or anyone else for that matter. A couple of dollars here and there I can tolerate, but not frequent or large fines etc.

If I just go to cheap places and don't engage in all the expensive tourist stuff will I be okay?

I don't plan on riding jet skis or any expensive stuff, I might not even use a scooter if the risk of fines by corrupt police is high.

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

Dont worry about it. Have Fun!

• Like 1

The idea is great but at a glance it is obvious that this is window dressing by two ineffectual ministers who were only employed to do favours for Thaksin in one case and as a reward for past favours in the other. Tell all the foreign ambassadors that we are finally getting to this issue and get coverage in the foreign press and that is the end of the story. No intention of doing anything about corrupt police who are paid off to permit scams against tourists. As usual lies and window dressing are regarded as a solution.

representatives from hospitals which are popular among Middle East visitors would be invited to a discussion following complaints from tourists that their medical charges are too high.

You have got to be sh*tting me?!?!?!?!....In the first place what the hell does that have to do with the security of tourist, and just who the hell cares about the M.E. ( I use that abbreviation because I cannot come up with vulgar enough language to truly depict what I think of these animals) tossers who cannot afford the incredibly inexpensive and high quality medical services available here??!?!?!?!

correct about the topic, i think these people don't realise half of their salary goes to taxes and social security in so called educated counties.

one of my secretarys in europe gets , for a part time job, 1400Euro/month, monthly cost 2800Euro.

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

Don't do what you see Thai people do ahd think it applies to you. Just follow the laws as they are written. Like wearing a helmut and don't drink and drive. But mark my words in 3 weeks you will get stopped only because of the color of your skin. And don't talk back when you are stopped. Just smile, pay the 500 baht (20 dollars) and go on your merry way. You'll have a good time. All of us on here complain because we live here and have just been here to long and have seen it all. For you, just have fun and get laid

helmut is German, helmet is a protectve device

• Like 1

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

Don't do what you see Thai people do ahd think it applies to you. Just follow the laws as they are written. Like wearing a helmut and don't drink and drive. But mark my words in 3 weeks you will get stopped only because of the color of your skin. And don't talk back when you are stopped. Just smile, pay the 500 baht (20 dollars) and go on your merry way. You'll have a good time. All of us on here complain because we live here and have just been here to long and have seen it all. For you, just have fun and get laid

helmut is German, helmet is a protectve device

check the exchange rate

• Like 1

Thailand and crime against toursits. Key Facts Illustration.

1. The safer the tourists (i.e. the more protection and anti-crime measures the government prodives), the less likely is it that they will be scammed and the less money that can be extracted from them and into the hands of the criminal fraternity.
  2. Most successful and smartest criminals that are nested within the tourist industry pay a premium to local bosses, who in turn pay a premium to regional bosses.
  3. In return for the premium, the criminal pyramid is given permission to trade, usually slightly over into the dark side of the law to give them competitive advantage within the local/regional economy.
  4. Protect tourists, turn off a lucrative revenue stream to local and regional bosses.

QED. Those in positions of power who are entrusted to actualy implement any new rules will not do so because it will cost them financially thus conflicting with their own personal interests.

An example of this is jet ski operators in Phuket. They don't actually murder and rape, but they do steal - and very openly. Some Thais might even consider this justifiable as in a necessary and fair way to extract a proportional amount of return from a disproportionately wealthy foreigner. They are allowed to continue to operate despite very international outrage simply because they pay the local cops an operators charge. The cops in Phuket almost certainly pay somebody to be allowed to allow jet ski scam to continue, and so on. Why do they do this? Do they think it's ok to rip off tourists? Yes they do. They see us every day in the bars, fighting in the streets, taking girls (and boys), hedonistic debauchery some may say. If you genuinely beleive that the locals and Thai cops in Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya or any other bar/beach/girly hot spot have any respect whatsoever for the two week tourist then you are sadly deluded.

Until the mentality of the majority of Thais is significantly altered with regards to their view of tourist personal wealth value and the great 'unfairness' of life the univserse and everything, AND, the bosses who are paid to allow reasonably petty criminal activity (stabbings and wanton violence are frowned upon, most crimes are theft and extortion/fear based) to continue (in reflection of the the redistribution of wealth because of the great 'unfairness' (and envy) of foreign wealth) crime will continue.

The sound-bite for this discussion is simple.

Corruption and kick backs within the circles of power (not even a need to say who) will continue to permit crime against tourists. All responses to pressure from consulates and other groups will be met with token gesture attempts at appeasement, where the Thais will still maintain CONTROL over who get's the whack.

CCTV? Sorry, can't find the tape mate...

+1 and this is not sarcasm (did I spell that right?).

• Like 1

Seriously man, where are you from and just how much Thai do you speak. I have travelled over most of Thailand and yes, many people don't speak anything other than Thai, but most people don't need to. Then there is also a huge number of people that speak English and also many other languages as well. If you are married to a Thai then there surely is one that speaks two languages. Be fair when you comment about this as there are more Thais than can speak English than there are English speakers that can speak Thai.

A long time hooker can speak quite a few languages.

Seriously man, where are you from and just how much Thai do you speak. I have travelled over most of Thailand and yes, many people don't speak anything other than Thai, but most people don't need to. Then there is also a huge number of people that speak English and also many other languages as well. If you are married to a Thai then there surely is one that speaks two languages. Be fair when you comment about this as there are more Thais than can speak English than there are English speakers that can speak Thai.

A long time hooker can speak quite a few languages.

Really? Do name the languages she can speak and vocabulary she would normally have

Everyone seems to miss the comment concerning medical cost rip off of farangs. I recently went to Bangkok Hospital for second opinion and they wanted to do 200,000 BAHT surgery the next day to remove bones in my hand. Medical is turning into the big legal rip off for tourists at least in Bangkok. Not true here in Udon Thani where no seperate pricing for Thai and Farang.

Thailand and crime against toursits. Key Facts Illustration.

1. The safer the tourists (i.e. the more protection and anti-crime measures the government prodives), the less likely is it that they will be scammed and the less money that can be extracted from them and into the hands of the criminal fraternity.
  2. Most successful and smartest criminals that are nested within the tourist industry pay a premium to local bosses, who in turn pay a premium to regional bosses.
  3. In return for the premium, the criminal pyramid is given permission to trade, usually slightly over into the dark side of the law to give them competitive advantage within the local/regional economy.
  4. Protect tourists, turn off a lucrative revenue stream to local and regional bosses.

QED. Those in positions of power who are entrusted to actualy implement any new rules will not do so because it will cost them financially thus conflicting with their own personal interests.

An example of this is jet ski operators in Phuket. They don't actually murder and rape, but they do steal - and very openly. Some Thais might even consider this justifiable as in a necessary and fair way to extract a proportional amount of return from a disproportionately wealthy foreigner. They are allowed to continue to operate despite very international outrage simply because they pay the local cops an operators charge. The cops in Phuket almost certainly pay somebody to be allowed to allow jet ski scam to continue, and so on. Why do they do this? Do they think it's ok to rip off tourists? Yes they do. They see us every day in the bars, fighting in the streets, taking girls (and boys), hedonistic debauchery some may say. If you genuinely beleive that the locals and Thai cops in Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya or any other bar/beach/girly hot spot have any respect whatsoever for the two week tourist then you are sadly deluded.

Until the mentality of the majority of Thais is significantly altered with regards to their view of tourist personal wealth value and the great 'unfairness' of life the univserse and everything, AND, the bosses who are paid to allow reasonably petty criminal activity (stabbings and wanton violence are frowned upon, most crimes are theft and extortion/fear based) to continue (in reflection of the the redistribution of wealth because of the great 'unfairness' (and envy) of foreign wealth) crime will continue.

The sound-bite for this discussion is simple.

Corruption and kick backs within the circles of power (not even a need to say who) will continue to permit crime against tourists. All responses to pressure from consulates and other groups will be met with token gesture attempts at appeasement, where the Thais will still maintain CONTROL over who get's the whack.

CCTV? Sorry, can't find the tape mate...

+1 and this is not sarcasm (did I spell that right?).

I would never rent a jet ski in Phuket...Boycott works and only thing that will. I agree with what you say...will not change by Thais.

Hmmm - actually did see what appeared to be a Thai Tourist Police van at the foot of Pat Pong and Silom last evening. Years ago, they were always parked there along with uniformed men patrolling Silom in that area. But now since the vendors have taken 99% control, one is lucky to find a 2 foot wide space to walk on the footpaths between soi 6 and RAMA IV. So invariably, I walk out in the street, dodging all the illegally parked taxi's, who, it you wanted to use them, will want to charge to 200-300 baht for a one kilometer ride - God forbid they will take you out of the area unless you can flash a couple of purples.

No sign of any uniformed personnel but did observe what might have been some plain clothes types!

• Like 1

Everyone seems to miss the comment concerning medical cost rip off of farangs. I recently went to Bangkok Hospital for second opinion and they wanted to do 200,000 BAHT surgery the next day to remove bones in my hand. Medical is turning into the big legal rip off for tourists at least in Bangkok. Not true here in Udon Thani where no seperate pricing for Thai and Farang.

Private hospitals are a business and has always been a business. $7000 for surgery is nothing compared to the west, where just a visit to doctor costs $300

Advice please.

Where shouldn't I go?

What shouldn't I do?

What places are safe?

Thanks,

Lothar

Ditto....AND...Get laid a lot!

Edited by sunshine51