Dar'S Place- New Soi Watboon Resto

Michaelaway

Dar's Place is a six week old, small resto with Farang (British & International) & Thai foods on the menu (about 6 pages of selections). Last night, my friend Olaf & I went over to give them a try. Near us, another farang was chowing down on a large bowl of spaghetti, and you could see he liked it. I asked anyways, and he confirmed- good stuff! After looking over the menu, we selected 2 of Dar's dinner specials: I ordered Fish & Chips, and Olaf had the beef Steak dinner.

The Fish & Chips came with a very large piece of lightly battered Cobia fish, an ample mound of crispy french fries and some delicious, homemade cole slaw... 120 baht. The Steak dinner came with choice of steak (Olaf had the rib eye, about 8 oz.) french fries, gravy boat, a good sized salad & a bottle of beer... 199 baht! Ollie said the steak was tender and tasty (I tried a bite, and figure they are serving aged Thai beef, for sure). Coke at Dar's is 20 baht; water, 15 baht.

Olaf felt that the 199 Steak dinner was an excellent value, and I felt the same about the F & C.

Dinner at Dar's was a very enjoyable experience for us. We sat at an outside table on the quiet soi- so we could smoke, and for the nice evening breeze. Dar, herself, was our server and couldn't have been more pleasant and gracious. And, Darren came over to talk a bit while we sat. This isn't their first resto, he said, having sold the last one (up in Nong Khai) and come to Pattaya to open again, and attract a larger number of farangs.

It seemed to us that Dar's is a restaurant that seeks to offer a variety of good quality dishes at reasonable prices, in a clean and welcoming setting. It is obvious that Dar & Dar (ren) take great pride in their new resto, and we wish them the best of luck.... give them a try!

Dar's Place- on Soi Watboon, just past Tesco Express- on the little side soi, at the end- next door to the Russian milk place. Closed on Mondays.

cool.png

The Fish & Chips came with a very large piece of lightly battered Cobia fish, an ample mound of crispy french fries and some delicious, homemade cole slaw... 120 baht.

Personally I would have them up for false advertising....is it chips your getting or french fries ?......not the same thing, french fries are horrible little stringy fellows and dont even bare a close resemblance to a great British chip....also can hardly be British as dont serve coleslaw with genuine British fish & chips either... thumbsup.gif

So Gordon before your next critique...lets brush up on the proper teminology shall we... a Chip and a french fry,( or freddom fry if you prefer) are not the same.....tongue.png

So Dar & Dar take a rest from thier resto on Mondays? I may be ignorrant but what is a resto?

I'm just offo to have a crappo on the boggo........................ See? annoying isn't it?

Will you be doing that in Bangers or Patters?

Note from the grammar police: resto is an abbreviation, crappo and boggo are elongations, so not really the same thing.

So Dar & Dar take a rest from thier resto on Mondays? I may be ignorrant but what is a resto?

I'm just offo to have a crappo on the boggo........................ See? annoying isn't it?

Will you be doing that in Bangers or Patters?

Note from the grammar police: resto is an abbreviation, crappo and boggo are elongations, so not really the same thing.

Easyride must be a Seppo...biggrin.png

i think he was making a play on words "rest from the resto" resto as in restaurant

Wow. I'm an American, using (what I thought was) a common British slang term for: restaurant- and all this confusion... sorry about that, folks.

Re: Dar's Place's location:

It is in on Soi Watboon, about halfway between Jomtien Beach Rd. & Sukhumvit Rd: In front of Majestic Condominium (which is directly oppsosite the big, local Thai market), there's a Tesco Lotus Express (mini-mart). Dar's is at the end of the small soi just after Tesco Lotus Express (about 25 steps). And, yes, it is at the end of the small soi, next door to the... Russian Milk Cafe (I don't know what it is either!).

And, one more thing that I forgot to mention in the original post: Not many "restos" around the area offer a Cheese Plate, especially at a low price. Well, Dar's Place does- and it includes 5 or 6 large, square crackers along with a good-sized chunks/wedges of: Cheddar, Brie & Bleu cheeses... @ 100 baht! Don't know what made me forget to mention this special offering in the OP, but Olaf & I really liked it after dinner.

Again, best of luck to Dar & Dar(ren)... and sorry for any confusion!

cool.png

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, I had one of those perfect, hit-the-spot meals. So here's a... News Flash:

Dar's should be awarded the title of: Pattaya's Best Chili Dog. Had one yesterday, and wow! Super good and a great value. It's on special again today; I might go back!!

120 baht buys: a big dog on an oversize roll, with great chili & raw onions. Alongside are crispy, seasoned french fries & homemade coleslaw... outstanding!! PS- Add a bit more for the melted cheddar.

post-72929-0-91805200-1345791013_thumb.j