Mayor Calls On Police To Solve Jet Ski, Tourist-Crime Issues

Rimmer

Mayor calls on police to solve jet ski, tourist-crime issues

PATTAYA:--Newly re-elected Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome launched his second term with a meeting with Pattaya police to resolve long-running issues threatening the safety of city residents and tourists.

The July 16 meeting with Region 2 deputy commander Col. Pisit Proirungroj, acting Pattaya Police Superintendent Col. Pantana Nutnarot and civil-defense volunteers reviewed problems frequently encountered by tourists, such as conflicts over rental cars, overcrowded baht buses, jet ski rip-offs, Beach Road prostitutes, and traffic.

Itthiphol said city hall municipal officers divided into three zones would oversee some safety-enforcement measures while the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department had also zoned off the city to handle emergencies. Other city security officers are now being stationed at four points throughout Pattaya - Bali Hai Pier, Kraithing Lai, Wong Amat and Pratamnak Hill - the mayor said.

Full story:http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/mayor-calls-on-police-to-solve-jet-ski-tourist-crime-issues-14973

pattayamaillogo.png

-- Pattaya Mail 2012-07-28 footer_n.gif

He agreed jet ski scammers are a priority, but he offered no definitive plans to tackle them.

It will be very hard to catch them in the act I am sure. They are very cunning at hiding and almost impossible to find.

please forgive me if i am wrong but ....

isn't it the case that every jetski has to be properly insured?

get rid of all uninsured jetskis .... should solve the problem, shouldn't it?

and if the jetski owners complain (too expensive and other crap) ... get rid of them as well.

He agreed jet ski scammers are a priority, but he offered no definitive plans to tackle them.

It will be very hard to catch them in the act I am sure. They are very cunning at hiding and almost impossible to find.

please forgive me if i am wrong but ....

isn't it the case that every jetski has to be properly insured?

get rid of all uninsured jetskis .... should solve the problem, shouldn't it?

and if the jetski owners complain (too expensive and other crap) ... get rid of them as well.

I wouldn't think that any jet skis have to be properly insured here in Thailand,

you rent at your own risk.

Most politicians are pretty good at public speaking and coming up with paper solutions to problems. That is how they get elected.

Putting those solutions into practise is another matter entirely.

I seem to remember solving the 'jet ski problem' was high up on his previous terms things to do list so one has to ask why does he think anyone will take notice of his new initiative?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

It's the Falang's fault!

"Pisit complained that he believed tourists don’t appreciate how far police are going to protect their safety and urged the mayor to work with the Tourism Authority of Thailand to increase good publicity on their behalf."

Again and again and again, Same BS. They will Never really do anything to stop it. To many packets are being filled. The Only way to spot it is to Ban all Jet ski's rentals from the beach

The Pattaya Mayor started off well in his campaign to stop the Jet Ski scams but fell flat on his face as clearly there are high powers involved.

If he can't get the police to act then banning them all together may be in his power and he should at least threaten to do that.

But unfortunately it is only a small minority of Jet Ski hire vendors that cause this problem.

They will deal the the most pressing issue : Crowded baht buses.

Getting rid of tourists is the obvious solution. sad.png

Of course...didnt you know its the farangs and farang toursits who have caused all these problems in the first place....no farangs no problem

• Like 1

Well the jet ski is actually a very easy problem to solve.

Make insurance a mandatory to running the business, police can check the policy"s and those without a policy fined say 100 000 baht.

When jet ski operator claims jet ski was damaged, they lodge a claim with insurance company and tourists have no problems at all

rolleyes.gif So what's different this time?coffee1.gif

Nothing, just more hot air...

More talk and no results

Obviously you have a crystal ball or you have been in LOS long enough to understand politicians talk a lot but have no balls to action their promises.

They will deal the the most pressing issue : Crowded baht buses.

What are they Trying to do, break the Axel? is the a another "Jet Ski" scam, "you Big Fat Farangs break my bus, you buy me a new one"?

Make insurance a mandatory to running the business, police can check the policy"s and those without a policy fined say 100 000 baht.

When jet ski operator claims jet ski was damaged, they lodge a claim with insurance company and tourists have no problems at all

Their are a lot of other businesses that should be insured as well.

that was tried in phuket and it didn't work. the loophole was that loss of profit while the ski was "repaired" was not covered so this was claimed in spades against the holidaymakers.

and satcommlee my beach observation of 87 ski scams i have photographed since april 2010 (during my various trips ) cover more or less ALL the groups on pattaya beach.

some are much worse than others but none of them are entirely innocent

• 1 month later...

that was tried in phuket and it didn't work. the loophole was that loss of profit while the ski was "repaired" was not covered so this was claimed in spades against the holidaymakers.

and satcommlee my beach observation of 87 ski scams i have photographed since april 2010 (during my various trips ) cover more or less ALL the groups on pattaya beach.

some are much worse than others but none of them are entirely innocent

You can come up with all the good advise you care to put forward, however nothing will be accomplished or changed because of the CORRUPTION it is as simple as that.

Slightly off subject but it would be interesting to ascertain exactly how many 'tourist attractions' 'hotels' 'taxi's including tuk tuk's' etc etc actually have appropriate insurance cover! I really do not think it will be many!