Thai Incompentance - Tmd Website

Today and every Saturday there is a street market in Thongsala and many of the vendors rely on accurate last minute info regarding rain to prevent damage to their goods. TMD (tmd.go.th) is usually a good source of info but for some reason it has not been updated for three days. This of course is difficult to spot as it is in very small sized font at the bottom of the page...

I have edited this post.As per forum rules. non samui related statement removed.

Edited by Rooo
removed remark as per forum rules.

Hey buddy, IMHO you seem a bit excessive in your judgements. I hope you get the rain you deserve. mate

Why bother to have a weather website if you don't keep it up to date? If you see the resulting chaos here you may well feel the same... Oh well, electricity just went off... But in your opinion I daren't voice my frustration?

Hey buddy, IMHO you seem a bit excessive in your judgements. I hope you get the rain you deserve. mate

Why bother to have a weather website if you don't keep it up to date? If you see the resulting chaos here you may well feel the same... Oh well, electricity just went off... But in your opinion I daren't voice my frustration?

Tell them to "look up" once in a while like the rest of us.

You guys are obviously bored... I stand by what I said and cannot see why anyone would feel different - other than to be contrary. Perhaps a few beers explain that.

A website offering radar coverage by the government cannot be relied upon for up to date info. This is acceptable to you two?

Looking up is a bit too late when clothing, foodstuff or any other wares need to be packed up and moved in pouring rain. When a cloudburst hits here there is very little notice. But I guess such things don't matter to you guys so screw everyone else, right?

And Anguid, the "H" in IMHO stands for Humble, so it doesn't make any sense to attack someone if you are trying to present your "humble opinion".

Pray tell - anyone, of one Thai (LOCAL TO SAMUI AND KOH PHANGAN) government department that is competent, efficient and delivers reliable up to date information.

Edit: To satisfy Roo

Edited by ParadiseLost

Pray tell - anyone, of one Thai (LOCAL TO SAMUI AND KOH PHANGAN) government department that is competent, efficient and delivers reliable up to date information.

If find the DMW very efficient and transparent.

The problem with a forecast is that it does not show what is happening right now. The radar loop is the one I consult. In future I will have to check multiple sites and make sure someone has bothered to keep it up to date...

Edited by ParadiseLost

I have never heard of a Thai street vendor using the internet for weather predictions; they usually use the "look out the window" method. And as you know, any weather predictions are not very reliable, particularly living on a small island which is subject to very localized weather events. The Thai Meteorological Department of Looking Out the Window had Samui at a 20 percent chance of rain for this evening. They were 100 percent of 20 percent correct.

I assume that the one who actually got caught with "clothing, foodstuff or any other wares need(ing) to be packed up and moved in pouring rain," was you and your island girl. Breaking camp for the rain is a common experience here. I have never seen any Thai complain about it being the fault of an internet website.

But lucky for you, I happen to be just the guy you need to talk to.

I am the sole distributor of the W200 Rain Detector. Made in Ghana and assembled in China, the W200 has been proven to be better at predicting the weather than a bikini-clad Russian weather girl or even a night market bird who pecks out winning lottery numbers.

The W200 is designed to look similar to a bottle of Windex for easy handling. The tip of the unit is fitted with a extendable sensor -- the M-probe -- which looks something like an old aerial from a 1967 Buick Skylark, but is in fact packed with sensitive "weather noticing" microchips. On the top of the W200 is a small compass -- at no additional charge -- to aid the user in pointing the unit at possible approaching weather systems. The W200 is equipped with the standard North, East, South and West calibrations, but for advanced users, such as scientists and people with more money, there is the W200A Rain Detector calibrated with not only the standard directions, but also the often hard to locate directions of Northeast, Southeast, Southwest and Northwest.

The W200 is easy to use and remarkably accurate. Just point the unit at any suspected weather, extent the M-probe and work the hand pump -- yes, there are no batteries needed!

The W200 can predict accurately 14 different weather events, including rain, sleet, hail, drizzle, snow and sunshine. The W200A can also predict overcast, cloudy, muggy and can detect where shadows are likely to form.

Both W200 rain detector units come with a one-time, money paid, unit received guarantee.

But wait! There's more!

If you act now and order a minimum of 50 units at the low, low everyday price of 1,5 million baht each, we will throw in the flood prediction detachable plug-in at no extra cost! Are you bothered by pesky flooding because you couldn't tell if the water was going to top the banks of your local river? Available for both units, the Floodalizer 9000 attaches easily to the bottom of the units and when not in use, can be used as a handy ash tray.

Act now as supplies are limited. Thailand has already ordered 327 units, so you can be assured that if a national government has vetted the effectiveness of the Rain Detectors, they are more than able to do the job for the private sector.

Distributors needed! Time-share street hawking experience a plus. Send PM for more information.

insertmembernamehere: Your puerile post only goes to show your ignorance and state of mind - perhaps you should pay a visit to one of the many detox resorts here.

I find your statement regarding my 'island girl' particularly insulting as I have lived here for 8 years married to a very successful and obviously far more intelligent woman than you appear to be.

Not that you deserve any form of reply; I merely check the radar for incoming rain to help the hard working people who lay out their wares every week. If they were to follow forecasts then the entire day would be put off if there was a 'chance of rain'. It has occurred that the organizers have abandoned the day based upon last minute checks. Today I checked the site and (you can check it right now) it showed clear skies. It still does. My stupid mistake to assume it was live data and not three days old.

You obviously look down your ignorant nose at the poor people who rely on such markets for a living; losing their products can be devastating to them but who cares - you are okay.

Perhaps you could use your enviable posting skills for something more productive? But then again a small mind always makes it's limitations obvious for all to see.

• Like 1

I have never heard of a Thai street vendor using the internet for weather predictions; they usually use the "look out the window" method. And as you know, any weather predictions are not very reliable, particularly living on a small island which is subject to very localized weather events. The Thai Meteorological Department of Looking Out the Window had Samui at a 20 percent chance of rain for this evening. They were 100 percent of 20 percent correct.

I assume that the one who actually got caught with "clothing, foodstuff or any other wares need(ing) to be packed up and moved in pouring rain," was you and your island girl. Breaking camp for the rain is a common experience here. I have never seen any Thai complain about it being the fault of an internet website.

But wait! There's more!

If you act now and order a minimum of 50 units at the low, low everyday price of 1,5 million baht each, we will throw in the flood prediction detachable plug-in at no extra cost! Are you bothered by pesky flooding because you couldn't tell if the water was going to top the banks of your local river? Available for both units, the Floodalizer 9000 attaches easily to the bottom of the units and when not in use, can be used as a handy ash tray.

Act now as supplies are limited. Thailand has already ordered 327 units, so you can be assured that if a national government has vetted the effectiveness of the Rain Detectors, they are more than able to do the job for the private sector.

Distributors needed! Time-share street hawking experience a plus. Send PM for more information.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif NO MORE please! biggrin.png I just about spluttered my tea over the screen....w00t.gif

...... what are some people smoking on KP these days?!

I was down on Maenam beach, all was calm until suddenly the wind came up, waves waving and no sign of the Lomprayah ferry.... at 5 pm

The vendors would usually be prepared for such change in weather.... not looking at the internet.... Oh my gawd! whistling.gif

come on there never get the for cast right. with allthe techonlogy from nasa BBC CNN all governments in the world and they still get it wrong. don't know why u expect a change this quick

But lucky for you, I happen to be just the guy you need to talk to.

I am the sole distributor of the W200 Rain Detector. Made in Ghana and assembled in China, the W200 has been proven to be better at predicting the weather than a bikini-clad Russian weather girl or even a night market bird who pecks out winning lottery numbers.

The W200 is designed to look similar to a bottle of Windex for easy handling. The tip of the unit is fitted with a extendable sensor -- the M-probe -- which looks something like an old aerial from a 1967 Buick Skylark, but is in fact packed with sensitive "weather noticing" microchips. On the top of the W200 is a small compass -- at no additional charge -- to aid the user in pointing the unit at possible approaching weather systems. The W200 is equipped with the standard North, East, South and West calibrations, but for advanced users, such as scientists and people with more money, there is the W200A Rain Detector calibrated with not only the standard directions, but also the often hard to locate directions of Northeast, Southeast, Southwest and Northwest.

The W200 is easy to use and remarkably accurate. Just point the unit at any suspected weather, extent the M-probe and work the hand pump -- yes, there are no batteries needed!

The W200 can predict accurately 14 different weather events, including rain, sleet, hail, drizzle, snow and sunshine. The W200A can also predict overcast, cloudy, muggy and can detect where shadows are likely to form.

Both W200 rain detector units come with a one-time, money paid, unit received guarantee.

But wait! There's more!

Just one quick question " I find your statement regarding my 'island girl' particularly insulting as I have lived here for 8 years married to a very successful and obviously far more intelligent woman than you appear to be."

Are you a women ot do you want to be an intelligent woman but u r a man? sorry just found that previous post fromthe topic boss confussing.

Edited by BigC

Wow, what a tough crowd! Try for a little humor and get pilloried.

Okay, so your girl isn't from the island, excuse me! Your Issan girl, your Schenectady girl, your Essex girl...Whatever. Jeez, if you really have been here for eight years your skin must be wearing thin. If anything, you should be more thick-skinned by now. Gosh, if that insults you, you must be an extremely sensitive and delicate person; I will try to use kid gloves from now on for your benefit ....

I don't look down on street vendors, I'm not that tall.

Does anyone living here look at the forecasts and think they are worth the bet? How many times did the forecast say rain and it didn't? Did you sit home with all your wares under plastic waiting for the skies to open -- losing a night's income because it didn't rain?

Besides, a thread blaming the Thai Weather Department for you getting wet? Talk about puerile....

Okay, so your girl isn't from the island, excuse me! Your Issan girl, your Schenectady girl, your Essex girl...Whatever. Jeez, if you really have been here for eight years your skin must be wearing thin. If anything, you should be more thick-skinned by now. Gosh, if that insults you, you must be an extremely sensitive and delicate person; I will try to use kid gloves from now on for your benefit ....

Does anyone living here look at the forecasts and think they are worth the bet? How many times did the forecast say rain and it didn't? Did you sit home with all your wares under plastic waiting for the skies to open -- losing a night's income because it didn't rain?

Besides, a thread blaming the Thai Weather Department for you getting wet? Talk about puerile....

I understand where u r coming from but r u a man or a woman? i am only asking to see if the person made an assumption that you wish you could be his an intelligent girl friend. so either he knows u r it is an assumption.

God I regret posting on this site - which I do most times...

For those who find it difficult to understand, there are numerous FORECAST sites, but a forecast is useless as it may show there is a CHANCE of rain but never ever can it be 100% accurate for the next few minutes.

If you bother to read my post, I normally check a RADAR site (up to the minute, instant, right now) to see what is coming. Many times Samui experiences rain and KP doesn't. If you cannot see the difference then I don't know how you even manage to get out of bed every day. Perhaps you don't?

See if you can tell the difference - tell me if it is definitely going to rain in the next 15 minutes by looking at "http://weather.thaivisa.com/". Now check out "http://www2.tmd.go.t...ar/cmpLoop.php" Do you see the difference?

If not then please stop reading this thread as it is beyond you.

And as for being thick skinned - most bigots/racists/narcissists hide behind 'humour' when making derogatory statements so why assume you are any different?

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 1

About time someone invented a thin synthetic waterproof material. rolleyes.gif

Funny yes, but the inadequate drains here mean the road is awash within minutes, so it is not only rain but the runoff that affects them. If I have to explain that their wares are on the ground...

The drains are just another example of the incompetence I complain about - but who am I to dare complain about anything as everyone else here is wearing the proverbial rose-tinted specs and would rather ridicule, insult and make generally inane comments than agree that there is a general lack of competence in government departments.

Funny yes, but the inadequate drains here mean the road is awash within minutes, so it is not only rain but the runoff that affects them. If I have to explain that their wares are on the ground...

The drains are just another example of the incompetence I complain about - but who am I to dare complain about anything as everyone else here is wearing the proverbial rose-tinted specs and would rather ridicule, insult and make generally inane comments than agree that there is a general lack of competence in government departments.

"there is a general lack of competence in government departments."

U have just described about every country on this planet.

Hey, dont worry! People learn to adapt.

Can't blame the weather forecasters for spoiling a round of golf! :rolleyes:

sorry about your origional post that is borderline insiane to think that we can all exepct to get acurrate weather readings of all places in the tropics where the weather is one of the most un predictable in the world.

This is a place where it can rain in one place and have sunshine 1 km down the road.

i am sorry but i think that you are bored and fustrated and posting sensless quotes.

You moan about Thai incompitance. Which you are saying that it is Thai cutlure that is incompitant whilst saying that your Thai girl friend os one of the most intellegent people you know.

If that is the case maybe as she is more clever than Thai culter then maybe you should put her incharge of the weather for cast or am i being rude.

I am sorry if i am i just see all of contridictions. Your post looks like you posted out of complete anger and fustration which is why there is not much sense to be made of it.

i suggest you take a chill pill and then come back to the thread. believe me i have herd people spout some nonsense when they are angry. i am not angry at the moment which iswhy i am speaking nonsense. it works differently with me smile.png

This is Thailand don't worry no problem be happy thumbsup.gif failing that i can give my shrink card. u do not have to talk to her just starr as she is very nice looking )

• Like 2