Illegal Transnational Dog Trader Caught In Nakhon Phanom, 700 Dogs Rescued

george

Illegal transnational dog trader caught in Nakhon Phanom, 700 dogs rescued

image_20120728173226CD24EE9A-0AFF-9BA3-EC3721C4BCE898E2.jpg

NAKHON PHANOM, July 28 -- An illicit transnational trader was arrested by a Mekong Riverine Operation Unit in the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom, rescuing 700 dogs which were bound for Vietnam.

LCDR Kritsana Choosai, chief of a Mekong River patrol unit in Nakhon Phanom, led officials to intercept a white six-wheel truck with Sakon Nakhon-registered license plates on Nakhon Phanom-Ban Phang Road.

There were 77 cages with a total of 700 dogs loaded on the truck.

The driver, identified as Mr Salut Kotetakok, 43, was arrested and taken in for questioning.

Nakhon Phanom provincial livestock chief Pairat Pathumsuwan has coordinated with related agencies to distribute the dogs to different locations to avoid overcrowding situations, otherwise the dogs may develop infection or die.

Mr Pairat said that the Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Station was now overcrowded with dogs, as there were 773 dogs in custody after an earlier arrest on July 25, where 548 dogs were rescued from a trafficking ring and sent to the station, and the total stood at 1,321 dogs.

If 700 dogs were added to this station, that would be more than 2,000 dogs, where the capacity of the facility was only 800-1,000 dogs, he said.

He said that taking care of the rescued canines cost some Bt10,000 a day.

Mr Pairat said that dog smuggling was also a problem as dog meat was still popular in some countries and illegal traders were continually trying to smuggle dogs into these countries. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-28

I don't know what kind of animal protection laws Thailand has, but if there any laws such an overpopulated dogs rescue centre would probably violate its regulation like square meters per animal per cage.

Harder law enforcement and border controls would probably catch more dog smugglers and would result in more dogs being rescued.

They should make these kind of dog trade legal along with some regulation how to transport them properly like there are regulation for chicken, pigs and cattle trade.

Well done for saving these dogs, Let us hope this brutal trade will eventually be stamped out.

Or they could as suggested above legalise the trade, as with chickens, pigs, cattle and various other two legged and 4 legged criters and regulate how they are transported

• Like 2

as well as the 6 and 8 legged critters.....

You are absolutely right. If they want to control the "problem", regulate it. I don't see myself eating much dog meat as I am an owner of 4, 4 legged family members, but I understand that it too can be a form of regulated live stock. Yes, there will be nay-sayers, as many nay-sayers for eating pork in a Jewish or Muslim country and as many nay-sayers for eating cow meat in India. There is always someone/someplace that is against eating something.

BTW, what happens to the 700 dogs this time, the 2000 dogs last time, etc etc. Some get adopted(very small percentage) but what happens to the rest? They end up back on the street multiplying, spreading germs, getting run over by cars, picking through trash, biting foreigners, etc. This "bust" is not going to help these dogs, in the end they are going to end up in the same or worse condition than before.

Well done for saving these dogs, Let us hope this brutal trade will eventually be stamped out.

Or they could as suggested above legalise the trade, as with chickens, pigs, cattle and various other two legged and 4 legged criters and regulate how they are transported

Edited by CMSteve

Much as I love dogs, there's really no point in keeping 2,000 of them alive in permanent captivity. It's not even fair on the dogs. They should check them for identifying collars or chips, which would identify stolen pets. Pick out any that might be suitable for re-homing. Kill and dispose of the rest.

I love dogs too...and in a way...agree with posts 5, 6 & 7.

However...until something positive and humane is done

I recommend that the driver and future drivers caught

are also put into a good sized cage along with the dogs

he was transporting. I reckon within a few minutes that

feller will be spilling his guts as to who hired him, who

the "boss" is etc....then stronger legal action can be

taken or started...depending on how hungry the dogs are

of course....just a paws for thought.

Tasty............

I've got two puppies to share.

PM me

i can't but share your underwhelming enthusiasm.

people trafficking every day and we are going to get exited about a truck of dogs????

Bravo customs

If someone else wants to eat them what is honestly the issue?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I don't know what kind of animal protection laws Thailand has, but if there any laws such an overpopulated dogs rescue centre would probably violate its regulation like square meters per animal per cage.

Harder law enforcement and border controls would probably catch more dog smugglers and would result in more dogs being rescued.

They should make these kind of dog trade legal along with some regulation how to transport them properly like there are regulation for chicken, pigs and cattle trade.

Have you ever seen how they transport other animals? If there are standards, they are not enforced. I don't think most of the people engaged in the transport are aware, or could care less.

• Like 1

Much as I love dogs, there's really no point in keeping 2,000 of them alive in permanent captivity. It's not even fair on the dogs. They should check them for identifying collars or chips, which would identify stolen pets. Pick out any that might be suitable for re-homing. Kill and dispose of the rest.

Euthanasia is not an option. I have no idea why there is such moral resistance, yet there is a tacit acceptance of inhumane practices.

Dog culls in Patong are alleged to have involved beating the dogs and burying them alive.

Euthanasia is not an option. I have no idea why there is such moral resistance, yet there is a tacit acceptance of inhumane practices.

Dog culls in Patong are alleged to have involved beating the dogs and burying them alive.

The Thai reaction to street dogs is so contrary to me i still don't understand it. They will look down their nose, cuss their human neighbors to the nth degree, but will accept a stray dog forever without appreciating its publicnuisance value.

It is one of the foibles of Thai society.

The overpopulation of unwanted dogs and cats is not exclusive to Thailand. Many countries maximize their efforts in controlling this overpopulation through spaying and neutering programs. Unfortunately, this is rarely effective enough to control the entire population, and humanely euthanizing the remaining animals in necessary. However, this is far better than crowding dogs into cages and trucking them to populations were they are beaten to death and skinned alive to satisfy the primitive desires and tastes of savage-like cultures. Perhaps those who disagree and traffic, or support trafficking these dogs should be transported to the few remaining cultures who continue to believe in human cannibalism just to share in the experience.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

700 dogs rescued from smugglers

The Nation on Sunday

30187191-01_big.jpg

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Authorities transferred 700 dogs to Nakhon Phanom Animal Quarantine Centre yesterday that were believed destined for dining tables in Vietnam following the arrest of a Thai truckdriver in Ban Phaeng district on Friday night.

Driver Salud Khottakok was transporting the dogs from Sakhon Nakhon to the border in a six-wheel truck when he was stopped. He confessed to being hired by a Vietnamese investor to deliver the dogs to Ban Phaeng Pier, from where they were to be taken down the Mekong River to Vietnam.

Centre head Chusak Pongpanich said the latest batch took the centre's dog population to about 2,000. The shelter has Bt8 million in donated funds left, but it spends Bt30,000-40,000 a day to care for the dogs. Chusak urged people to donate more money, food and medicine.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-29

There are estimated (on the low side) 300,000 stray dogs in Bangkok alone. More than that number of those insidious stray cats.

IMHO if the Vietnamese have a taste for the delicacy of dog and cat then by all means Thais should rid the country of their strays and profit by it.

"They're of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures"

If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health. Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others.

• Like 2

"If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health"

That's faulty logic. a person with clothes can easily be homeless or without family.

Although you could be correct as its been said many times, these dogs are also bought form owners and others/thieves. But realistically the odds are the dog is another of the countless millions of rejected dogs. They were cute when they were puppies but not cute enough to keep so they end up on the street - with a collar and in better health.

There is a local crematorium near my home full of these dogs. We go to feed them 1 or 2 times a week. I would estimate that there is a new dog there every other week. Most still have their collar and are in ok health. I will also make a point that many of the other dogs there have been given collars with bells to find them or know where they are. We are not the only ones to go there and feed them so the dogs are fairly well-fed and in good health.

"Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others"

This came from your mind, not from our actions

There are estimated (on the low side) 300,000 stray dogs in Bangkok alone. More than that number of those insidious stray cats.

IMHO if the Vietnamese have a taste for the delicacy of dog and cat then by all means Thais should rid the country of their strays and profit by it.

"They're of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures"

"If you will notice, the dog on the lower left of the photo is wearing a collar. Obviously not a soi dog. This dog was stolen from its owner and looks quite well fed and in good health". Perhaps it's not about the dogs at all and somehow you get satisfaction knowing that these creatures will be tortured before being consumed, while someone has lost a loving pet and will grieve that loss for a long time. It amazes me how many people seem to derive their self worth by showing how devoid they are of any human emotions when it comes to caring for others.

Agree but won't be holding my breath.

I love dogs too...and in a way...agree with posts 5, 6 & 7.

However...until something positive and humane is done

I recommend that the driver and future drivers caught

are also put into a good sized cage along with the dogs

he was transporting. I reckon within a few minutes that

feller will be spilling his guts as to who hired him, who

the "boss" is etc....then stronger legal action can be

taken or started...depending on how hungry the dogs are

of course....just a paws for thought.

I like your thinking.

Theyre of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures.

They were not all soi dogs. How do you know they were of no use to anyone?

In any case, you are of no use to me. Shall we put you down?

Of the opinion we should petion the goverment to Euthanasia some farang pensioners in Thailand when they reach a certain age...humanely of course...whistling.gif

Theyre of no use to anyone. Filthy soi dogs.Put them all down and spend the money on more worthwhile ventures.

Of the opinion we should petion the goverment to Euthanasia some farang pensioners in Thailand when they reach a certain age...humanely of course...whistling.gif

Of the opinion we should petition the government to teach you how to spell and the correct usage of certain words. I once had a dog that was smarter than that.

Of the opinion we should petition the government to teach you how to spell and the correct usage of certain words. I once had a dog that was smarter than that.

Ah the English Nazi's join the mix at last...dont worry its Monday tomorrow you can start teaching your class again in the morning, Sunday is a day of rest..thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Did you not see the collars on some of the dogs in the cages? I don't think they are all soi dogs.

That opens another door to where did they come from in the first place. Were people given official permission to round the strays up and how much was paid for each dog? Where did the money go if that is the case. Or did someone take it off their own back to round them up themselves? 700 dogs is a lot of rounding up if you're doing it illegally!

I would imagine. Had to add that before some smart@ss asks how I know....................thumbsup.gif