2-3 Hour Drive From Bkk?

doontp

I enjoy driving around on the weekends and checking out various sites. I enjoy anything off the beatin’ path.

What have you seen or done that’s interesting and within a 2-3 hour drive from Bkk?

Please provide GPS Coordinates, if possible.

Thank you.

Very interesting topic. A few I'd recommend:

Khao Yai. Beautiful day trip and great drive through the park.

If you are in the area, I've heard (but haven't tried yet) the Sunday roast at Valley View restaurant is fantastic. http://www.facebook.com/ValleyViewRestaurantRayong?filter=1

Quite a few things to do in and around Pattaya (Silverlake, Buddha Mountain, Wat Yan, Bang Saray beach, etc)

post-147691-0-01145000-1343541433_thumb.Sorry I cannot give great details but probably one of the most interesting things I have done here was very close to Angthong, just an hours drive North of Bkk. It is "Thai Hell" but also has many other beautiful attractions right on the same site. I believe it hosts one of the biggest Buddha statues in Thailand now along with the "Mirror Temple"

post-147691-0-35392200-1343541482_thumb.post-147691-0-85856000-1343541535_thumb.

Thai Hell is the wildest thing I have ever seen and every sin has it's own version of what will happen to you if you commit these sins and trust me the art-work and statues that show it are WILD. VERY explicit and just crazy.

It is all in sequence where the first display is where the dead person entering hell sees what we would call the devil. This is where he decides your sin and sends you to your own hell. Then you just walk to each "sin" display and you won't believe it. If you have a Thai who can read the plaques and explain it to you then you need to bring them. Trust me this is THE most interesting place to travel and is just different to all the normal tourist attractions like temples etc.

• Like 1

post-147691-0-01145000-1343541433_thumb.Sorry I cannot give great details but probably one of the most interesting things I have done here was very close to Angthong, just an hours drive North of Bkk. It is "Thai Hell" but also has many other beautiful attractions right on the same site. I believe it hosts one of the biggest Buddha statues in Thailand now along with the "Mirror Temple"

post-147691-0-35392200-1343541482_thumb.post-147691-0-85856000-1343541535_thumb.

Thai Hell is the wildest thing I have ever seen and every sin has it's own version of what will happen to you if you commit these sins and trust me the art-work and statues that show it are WILD. VERY explicit and just crazy.

It is all in sequence where the first display is where the dead person entering hell sees what we would call the devil. This is where he decides your sin and sends you to your own hell. Then you just walk to each "sin" display and you won't believe it. If you have a Thai who can read the plaques and explain it to you then you need to bring them. Trust me this is THE most interesting place to travel and is just different to all the normal tourist attractions like temples etc.

I presume it is not rated 'G' for kids ?

But then again, I was in the Warner Brothers toy store the other day and a song was merrily rambling away <<Profanities removed from post >>

Edited by metisdead
: 3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

But then again, I was in the Warner Brothers toy store the other day and a song was merrily rambling away <<Profanities removed from post >>

I guess it is up to the parent to decide if their children are ok with it but I will say it is VERY explicit and disturbing displays so I can't answer your question as I am not the kids parent. I will say that all of the displays are around the same graphic display as the picture I posted here so you can decide.

PS: Most of the video games kids play these days are worst then this bt again up to the discretion of the parent.

kanchanaburi.....river kwai area

Yes, very nice. I 've never done it, but would love to go up to that 3 pagoda pass....

Great drive up to there Craig, and some fantastic bargains to be had from the border traders, i bought a whole truck load of furniture and they only charged 1000 Baht to deliver it all the way to Pattaya!!

post-62606-0-97427700-1343640390_thumb.j

• Like 1

kanchanaburi.....river kwai area

Wonderful area, very hot over there though. Cannot remember the name of the spot, but took a long drive up to it on the Burma border in the mountains, was very cold up there and covered in mist. Got chased back from the border by military with big guns and settled into a noodle shop for hot soup and hot tea to warm up.

I guess it is up to the parent to decide if their children are ok with it but I will say it is VERY explicit and disturbing displays so I can't answer your question as I am not the kids parent. I will say that all of the displays are around the same graphic display as the picture I posted here so you can decide.

PS: Most of the video games kids play these days are worst then this bt again up to the discretion of the parent.

Cheers, by explicit I thought you might have meant sex scenes. But a bit of stabbing is nothing these days really so it seems.

Edited by TwoDogz

Another shout for Three Pagodas - though a bit more than 2-3 hours from Bangkok. Probably another 3 on from Kanchanaburi, which can be a trek in itself if the traffic is bad. Especially if you live on the other side of Bangkok as I do.

Heard good things about Ratchaburi, but never actually been there myself.

Agree with others that the 'Hell Wat' is ok for a 1 day trip. And definitely Kanchanaburi for a few nights - I'm heading there for the 6th or 7th time for couple of nights this long weekend.

In Ratchaburi of course there is the morning Damnoen Suduak floating market, as well as weekend evening Amphawa floating market. Plenty of homestays around the area. Its a bit further away but I've stayed at Ban Sukchoke Resort - cheap, average quality but relaxing for a night (as opposed to driving home at night). Its next door to a cobra farm if thats your thing.

Also try Nakhon Nayok. About 1 hour drive from Rangsit. There is a dam to look at, Sarika waterfall and Wang Takhrai park where always lots of people playing in the water (except in the dry season). I've done it in a day trip, as well as staying overnight. A bit further on is Wang Nam Khiao, south of Khao Yai. Has some campgrounds and waterfalls with no water when I visited few years ago. I've heard there are some waterfalls near Saraburi that are ok but I've never been there.

There is Pasak Jolasid Dam in Lopburi (many people camp there) and of course the monkeys in Lopburi town.

If you have a bit more time, then the beaches south of Hua Hin are ok. I really like Ban Krut because of its long, calm and most times deserted beaches. Its about 4 hours from Bangkok. I've stayed at Salathai (cheap, spacious rooms, close to most restaurants) and Bayview Resort (pool, isolated, great rooms), and would happily stay at either again.

Sorry no GPS coordinates, but you'll find all these places via Google and Maps.

• Like 1

Somebody already mentioned Khao Yai.

For something different about 2hrs from BKK

Been many times myself, many activities with Chok Chai Farm if you wanna milk a cow or waterfalls, Walking Trails, Hotel Resorts a plenty. 14°33'42.40″N; 101°24'21.59″E

http://www.rabiangru...RD_mainpage.php

http://www.dairyhome.co.th/

http://www.dairyhome...hp?storytopic=4

Dairyhome on the corner of the main hwy to Nakhon Ratchasima (pass Dairyhome & u turn just past the exit)

Restaurant has good meals including German Sausages, Steaks, Burgers, Fresh Bread and dairy products. Ice-cream for the kids.

http://www.hotelscom...tate=contracted

Edited by LindsayBKK

If you have a bit more time, then the beaches south of Hua Hin are ok. I really like Ban Krut because of its long, calm and most times deserted beaches. Its about 4 hours from Bangkok. I've stayed at Salathai (cheap, spacious rooms, close to most restaurants) and Bayview Resort (pool, isolated, great rooms), and would happily stay at either again.

+1 for Ban Krut, and, especially, Sala Thai Resort. Great rooms, nice personal service, and as close to a nice beach as you can get. Rent a motorcycle, go up the mountain to the temple (can't miss it), ride up or down the coast, passing fishing villages, plenty of things to see.

Maybe a bit farther than the OP wanted, but great for a three to four day trip.

+1 for Ban Krut, and, especially, Sala Thai Resort. Great rooms, nice personal service, and as close to a nice beach as you can get. Rent a motorcycle, go up the mountain to the temple (can't miss it), ride up or down the coast, passing fishing villages, plenty of things to see.

Maybe a bit farther than the OP wanted, but great for a three to four day trip.

Not much to do there, but a fantastic place to relax and enjoy the sea. I love Ban Krut.

post-5869-0-71591100-1343957752_thumb.jp

Try a drive along Highway 35 to Maeklong to see the train passing through the market - an amazing sight...

The Amphawa Floating Market is 7km from the railway. Mostly Thai visitors, so a bit more authentic than the rest..

Edited by w11guy

Thanks to all who replied with info.

The drive to "Chao Samran Beach" in Petchaburi was nice. This beach is north of Cha-am. GPS 13.00534 100.06509

The rural road from here to Cha-am was nice. Roads are well paved.....so this is good if you ride a motorcycle.

Thanks to all who replied with info.

The drive to "Chao Samran Beach" in Petchaburi was nice. This beach is north of Cha-am. GPS 13.00534 100.06509

The rural road from here to Cha-am was nice. Roads are well paved.....so this is good if you ride a motorcycle.

I have spent many long weekends there, its a nice quiet place, next to no night time action. Not sure its a good idea to advertise it too much, everyone will start to go there :o

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect App