New Friend Killed Last Night In Savannakhet! Please Help!

CrossBow

I met this man and 1 other as I was left at the border by the Mukdahan to Savvanakhet bus company. The German man Jergen was friends with the killed man name Jan from Sweden apparently for quite some as friends. It was very strange that he mentioned that people get sent to Laos and end up coming home in a box in a conversation I had with him on the ride to the Mekhong river hotel. I told them I would stay at a different hotel closer to the bus station and Jan seemed like a decently mannered guy with a good heart. I was shocked today when I went to the Thai Immigration office today to do my visa. Some of the men who worked there told me my friend was dead and his body was in the Temple next to the Mekhong River Hotel. So I went to the temple and there was a celebration of a new temple being built and when I asked about the deceased swedish man, they pointed towards the river and said he was next door to the savvanhaphum Temple. I rushed over to see the German man that I had met last night sitting alone at the bar stool. I went to console him and find out what had happened the previous night. He told me they both had went out to eat a sandwich at the eatery in front of the river. They did not drink any alcohol or have any visitors in the room. Jergen told me that he was awakened to the sound of his dying friends last moan at around 5am today. His level of english was very poor and seemed like he was interested in discussing his hatred of the United States and Thai women moreso than discussing the cause of his friends unsolved death. Sadly he told me the Swedish man Jan Ingvar was not close to his family and didnt have any way to contact them. I asked him to join me to find out more from the police and he threatened me saying he had lots of power in Thailand and the owner of the bar told me to not make a problem, this Laos not Thailand remark. I asked the owner of the Mekong Hotel if the sheets had been sprayed with any insect repellent, he replied no in native laos and told me to go to hell. When I asked the owner about the autopsy results and where could I talk to the police the German man Jergen became quite worried maybe from the stress of his friends death and being a suspect in the case. He asked me why I cared about the dead man and why I wanted to help the police. I told him "He has no family here and you are his only friend, i must help because if I died and nobody knew who I was, I would certainly want a native speaker to help resolve the issue and gather information for the police which they truly need! I am just trying to do the little I can to help this man. Its not the first time I've met someone for the first time in my life and die the same night. Its quite frightening as well because the doctor and police told me the food was not poisoned but the man had a weak stomach and possibly diseased before and that is the reason why he died at age 51. If anyone out there with a half a heart has time to help me seek justice for this man it would truly be a great deed in the eyes of grace.

At this time if any of you know how I can contact the family or friend of a MR.JAN INGVAR" from 'Alvsby, Sweden. It would be much appreciated. Please send me a PM or contact the Savvanakhet Police station here at this number

98241403 Captain Vilaphan.

• Like 1

the swedish embassy in vientianne is already informed probably (Sokpaluang Rd. Quartier Wat Nak, Open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM, Phone : +856 (021) 315003)

you sound like a very good person. take care of yourself.

the swedish embassy in vientianne is already informed probably (Sokpaluang Rd. Quartier Wat Nak, Open Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM, Phone : +856 (021) 315003)

you sound like a very good person. take care of yourself.

I concur . Full credit to you mate, your actions are highly commendable.

Your involvement may be commendable, but not wise. There's a few red flags around this one. Walk away. It should be obvious that it's not prudent to keep poking your nose around a potentially suspicious death of a stranger and foreigner here in SE Asia after being told quite clearly that your involvement, and that of the police, is not welcome. The dead guy's dead and beyond help. You're not. Forget about "great deed in the eyes of grace" and move along. Enjoy the next stop in your travels.

Hmmm... the Swedish embassy in Watnak, Vientiane closed in July 2009 as well as all NGO projects by SIDA (sweden based which among other projects built 25% of Lao roads) - Visa issues etc. are now handled by the French Embassy.

If the OP really want to pursue this he should contact the embassy in Bangkok, the ambassodor occasionally makes offical visits re. issues pertaining to Swedish citizens but has very little influence as they 'slammed the door upon leaving'.

Personnaly, I would proceed with caution as per post #7 and take into account that visitors to Lao who do not live nor communicate in Lao are expected by locals to act as visitors / tourists.

FYI there are no autopsies in Laos.

Sokh Dee Der.

You have been given some good advice, I would only add that you could end up with bills from the police, the Hospital and the Temple if you decide to stay and become involved.

Further as this appears to have happened in Laos and you are posting from Laos I am closing the topic.

//CLOSED//