Electricity Connection Fee And Deposit

Hi all

I posted a while ago about transferrinf condo sale funds to UK an dI'd like to thank all for advice etc.

I have a further query some may have experience of.

When you buy a house/condo etc. from new, you need to get the electricity connected.

From what I remember I paid a connection fee and a deposit if 12,000bt as a deposit for the meter.

I forgot to ask my buyer for this, in the past now but is this correct? In that I mean, when you sell etc. the electricity meter depo should be passed from the new owner to yourself (if you remember to ask!!)?

If not, you can have it removed and the depo returned to you then the new occupier will need to again get another installed and pay the deposit.

The reason why I ask is my mate is selling a condo in BKK and I want to tell him about this as I lost out!

Only time i have ever paid a deposit for an electric meter is when getting a temporary supply to new builds, when build is complete and house registered you get the proper meter installed from the PEA and at this point get your previous deposit for the temporary meter back. Thereafter the meter is the property of the PEA and goes with the property, not the individual.

Never encountered the situation you describe, and i have built and sold many properties over the years here.

Only time i have ever paid a deposit for an electric meter is when getting a temporary supply to new builds, when build is complete and house registered you get the proper meter installed from the PEA and at this point get your previous deposit for the temporary meter back. Thereafter the meter is the property of the PEA and goes with the property, not the individual.

Never encountered the situation you describe, and i have built and sold many properties over the years here.

After buying a second hamd house 2 years ago we wanted to change the name on the electricity bill. We had to pay 6k baht which supposedly was as a deposit on the meter (this was in Pattaya). From memory we were told the previous person could have got their deposit back.....I would get your mate to talk to his local electricity provider.