Former Prime Minister Tanin Backs Ayutthaya'S Bid For World Expo

webfact

Former PM Tanin backs Ayutthaya's bid for World Expo

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP

THE NATION

Ayutthaya

AYUTTHAYA: -- Former prime minister Tanin Krivixian has urged the government to support Thailand's bid to host the World Expo 2020 in Ayutthaya, saying the event could bring huge opportunities not just to the province, but to the country.

"I believe we still stand a chance of clinching the bid, despite there being challenges from major competitors, namely Brazil's Sao Paolo, the United Arab Emirates' Dubai, Russia's Yekaterinburg and Turkey's Izmir," Tanin said yesterday. The Privy Council member and former premier spoke at a monthly meeting of government officials in Ayutthaya province.

Tanin made the comments after the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) took the opportunity presented by the meeting to update officials on the progress made over the past six months to submit a bid to host the Expo to the Bureau of International Expositions (BIE).

He also cited the good example set by London, which is currently hosting the Olympic Games. To host the event, the British government invested heavily in many projects, providing key support for construction, basic infrastructure and transportation systems over the past seven years.

Thus, apart from national campaigns, road shows and promotions to convince BIE members to support Thailand's bid, infrastructure and city planning in the area to be used for the event site must be well organised, Tanin added.

The former leader also suggested that the proposed World Expo site be expanded from 1,260 rai (202 hectares) to twice that size, or even to 5,000 rai (800 hectares), if possible, for use in future developments after the event is complete.

Ayutthaya Governor Witthaya Pewpong said all sectors in his province fully support this bid. The province will join forces with the Interior Ministry's Department of Public Works and Town and Country Planning to develop the site in Bangsai, under a provincial budget of Bt5 million, in October.

Witthaya has ordered the district chief in Bangsai to conduct a survey of people living in the area, along with a study of necessary land expropriations and compensation for those affected, as soon as possible.

TCEB acting president Thongchai Sridama said the bureau must focus on raising awareness and engagement among local people, as well as strengthening the theme of the event to be presented to the BIE. The TCEB has come up with an overall concept of "Redefine Globalisation: Balanced Life, Sustainable Living". The bureau expects to welcome 37 million visitors during the event, should the bid be successful.

Thongchai added that the TCEB had to complete the details of the World Expo 2020 bid by October. A BIE committee will announce the winner in November 2013.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-31

I work in Ayudhya, and I have to say while some of the temples are lovely, there just isn't the infrastructure. All but no public transport suitable for such an event, small congested rounds in and around the city, not one world class hotel (although the Kantary is nice), no shopping to speak of, few restaurants that are of the standard necessary, and so on and so forth.

Bangkok, Chiang Mai..... and I hate to say it Phuket, would be far better suited.

They want to hold a World EXPO at a place that is in the future to be flooded????.......

oh, ladies and gentlemen ........ I can't take it anymore cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by metisdead
: Oversized font resized.

Nice to dream. True, what infrastructure already exists there? Good trains? A good airport to handle thousands of arrivals? Safe, uncrowded highways? International hotels? -- Another example of not thinking of all the details which is needed for such an event. (and the way corruption is in Thailand, how would any of this get done on time or up to standards?)

• Like 1

Forward thinking by Thailands Former prime minister Tanin Krivixian..

Already semi surrounded by concrete flood barriers let them have the expo to raise funds ( & his retirement plan) then finish the barriers & have a nice new reservoir.. topped up every year by mother nature!!

Great thinking ..

At least it will be a nice round of first class all-expense-paid jaunts to submit the bid, visit previous expo cities, etc. rolleyes.gif

Hit the nail on its head. Except for its sabai sabai lifestyle, the nature that is left, Thailand has nothing really to offer that's of world class standard. 2020 sounds like far off, but is only 7.5 year from now.

Tanin is known to historians of Thailand as the most extreme right wing Prime Minister in Thai history, a guy who oversaw the summary executions of anyone suspected of having communist sympathies. In short, a fascist.

I happen to know Than Tanin personally and believe me, it is an honest attempt. He also supports the Ban Sai handicraft centre. If Ayuthya is getting it or not is irrelevant as Than Tanin most likely will - regretably - no longer be around due to his age.

I rather recall the World Expo 1995 in Korat/Nakorn Rachasima which was organized by German exhibition professionals. The "World Expo" was a local affair with Somtam and things, giving the locals the opportunity to see some other things but "World" was a far fetched word for what they had arranged in Korat at the time.

The greasing-palm-issue should be banned in all forums as it is the modus operandi in this country; rather refer to clean deals which take considerably less server space of ThaiVisa, I clue ya!

They want to hold a World EXPO at a place that is in the future to be flooded????.......

oh, ladies and gentlemen ........ I can't take it anymore cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not a problem, the aircraft carrier they have tied up in Sattahip could be used as a tourist attraction

The Chances of a Word Expo here are about as likely as seeing haley's comet twice in 76 years, Charlerm cleaning up the mafia in 90 days

both before and after his transfer to South Thailnd, and finally Thailand becoming the HUB of Asia. In the year of 2012 or 2555 which is the

Thai year they are still approximately 75 years from being almost fluent in English, and that mutually exclusive of know any of the IDIOMs

which all native speakers of every single language on this planet have; not to mention the Nuances which give and understanding hidden

within the humor of all native languages.

All the scammers here are sure to Zero in on Ayutthaya.