How To Bring My Wife To England But Have No Money?

Hi guys

before you all get angry and start shouting get a job you lazy b!!! Please take a minute to read this?

I moved to thailand to live and farm with my wife in 2008. I had limited funds but felt sure we could live as a family as well as we could in england. 2008 crops were good, 2009 we had 4 days rain in 8 months. crops were stunted, 2010 we had bug infestation cause we had no rain the year before. I also had a problem with my leg which made it impossible to work and had 2 stays in hospital, my wife was ill and also had to stay in hospital my mother in law was sick and had repeated visits to doctors. all eating into our funds.

2011 my father in law was knocked over by a car and was in hospital for several weeks fortunatly paid for by gov 30 baht. while taking care of him in korat hospital we had to pay people to take care of our fields, we live neasr chaiyaphum. as my in laws seperated 20 years priviously my wifes mum was not happy to see her ex take residence again in her home causing terrible upset.

Then the rain came and washed 40% of our crops away!! No money to plant again, sold the pickup for airfares and came back to uk with wife.

I have never been unemployed in england and have paid 32 years taxes. i was sure i could find work rent a property find my wife work so we could later apply for a settlement visa.

Problem with my leg came back, i came back in march and have been sick ever since hospital are still doing tests. my wife has returned to thai, to find work in bangkok, i have no idea when or if i will be able to see her again, if she were here she could find work and would be able to take care of me.

Is there a way genuine people such as myself can bring there wifes to luive with them. we have been together for 7 years.

please can you surgest any thing?

Gary

I'm so sorry to read such a heart-wrenching tale of misfortune.

Presumably you are aware of the minimum income requirement for sponsors of spouse visa applications that is now in force. Unfortunately, the box-ticking mentality that applies now within UKBA means that if you can't tick the boxes you're pretty much certain to be refused. As far as I can see, unless/until you can establish a record of earnings you won't succeed with a direct spouse visa application. If you had to sell your truck for the airfare home I guess your savings are insufficient to meet that alternative requirement.

With 32 years of tax payments you are presumably into your 50s - not the ideal time to restart your career, although you haven't mentioned what that was. The only alternative suggestion I can make, if it appears at all practical, is to take advantage of the EEA Regulations, which say that if a UK citizen has lived and worked in another EU country with his spouse, the spouse is entitled to accompany the sponsor to the UK and live there as an EEA Family Member. The application is free of charge and is automatically granted, unless it is a "marriage of convenience", which could not apply in your case as you've been together at least 4 years.

This would rely on you being fit enough to work and able to get a job somewhere in Europe for a while, where you could apply for your wife to join you and after a few months an EEA Family Permit should be a shoo-in. If your health problems persist you will have a difficult time finding any way to get her to the UK. The recent change in the Rules stipulating minimum finances may be challenged in the courts, but whether or when that happens, and the outcome are all guesswork at the moment.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Depending on why you are sick, and if you receive ( or will receive ) any disability - related benefits, you might qualify for exemption from the financial requirement. The guidance says this:

6. Exemption from the financial requirement

Where the applicant’s partner is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or any of the following disability-related benefits in the UK, the applicant is exempt from the new financial requirement in respect of that application stage:

Disability Living Allowance.

Severe Disablement Allowance.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Attendance Allowance.

To evidence their exemption the applicant must provide:

Official documentation from HMRC confirming the applicant’s partner’s entitlement and the amount received.

At least one bank statement showing payment of the benefit or allowance into an account in the name of the applicant’s partner.

another sad case,in most case's when the money runs out so do's the marriage,your wife has to support her family,i have seen 3 farangs that have more or less ended up like you in the last 6months 2 have gone home alone the other is clutching straws,you didnt mention wether you had children to support,its goner be heart breaking for you with no job,being unfit and your wife going back to work in bkk you will find it difficult to keep in touch.good luck

Looking at the Kids ages she must be in her late 30s or more. I do hate to say it but she is going to have to have some exceptional skill to get her a job in the UK, as there are gonna be young whipper snappers looking for jobs as well.

Could you not return here to Thailand, it may be hard for you to get a full time job, but part time work might be an option for you, and it keeps the family close together. If you are on benefits they would cease, unless you found a way around that, but then that would be illegal.

I do hope you find a way to keep the family together.

My wife was the same, it did not matter about how much money I had or have, we live within our means and still have holidays but all it takes is something to happen to one of us and then we will probably be in the same boat as you.

Edited by beano2274

I think the only option you have is to rustle up the 400K and stay in Thailand on a non imm o visa based on been married to a Thai. AT least you will be together.

Then if your leg holds up try and get a job teaching English in a local Gov School. Not big bucks but it will be some sort of income and your family will be together.

Life is sometimes hard. I hope that you will soon get back on top again, so that you can be reunited with your wife as soon as possible. Unfortunately with no money, your chances are probably very slim.

Edited by Xonax

Hi Gary,

I really hope that you get things solved out. I strained my ankle about 5 weeks ago and didn't really left the home for a long time. Try to go come back to Thailand if at all possible. What problems do you have with your leg?

That is a sad tale of events. Going through all of it, I'm just wondering -- the government never stepped in or you weren't able to avail of any government help? I'm not surprised. I can only imagine what devils the locals sell their souls to in order to keep their farms!

If you are under 60, you might be able to find a job teaching English. It's not the best thing in the world, but pay typically starts at 30k and goes up 1k every year. BEWARE OF RECRUITMENT AGENCIES. I'm not saying do not use them at all costs, but some of them are real parasites. When you hit 60, lots of schools will throw you out, so please be warned, but don't give up.

But if all else fails, grow a large tree, build a house in it, and tell people your wife can read the future. You need a different gimmick from all the others. Yes, there are plenty people who have made money easily this way. It's utter BS, sure, but you get the idea.

must be a nightmare but does not seem any way around it, everybody needs money to live on and its not going to be available in Thailand for you, her chances of getting a visa i would think would be remote do to your situation, i think they would see as a high risk case of dependancy on public funds. You can get a non o if marriage without the 400k if you do bounces every 3 months.

On the bright side you are getting NHS treatment which technically they should not give, i paid exactly same 32 years but NHS wrote to me and kicked me off the books so to speak for being away from UK for more than 3 months.

Good Luck

Gary, you are certainly being tested.

First of all, believe that everything will work out well because it will. You are just in a storm at the moment.

1. Try to stay together in Thailand. Suffer and encourage each other together. Your marriage will be stronger for doing so. Also, the cost of living is much lower. You can get work in secondary schools teaching English.

2. Try to find the 400,000 Baht you need to get a one-year visa so that you can stay in Thailand. The money does have to be in the account for 2 months before you apply.

3. Regarding the illness, let's solve that issue so that you don't have medical bills. I'll send you e-book on how to use the Healing Codes to make yourself well again. The stress will be making your leg and health worse. It's a very effective energy healing technique and it'll be faster, cheaper (free), and more effective than what the doctors can do for you with their chemicals. Contact me at

The storm will pass, Gary. It always does.

Edited by Rimmer
email removed as per forum rules, pls use PM system

I'd suggest to get a Non-O multiple entry visa in your country at a Thai consulate. All I had to show was my Thai marriage certificate.

When you've stayed here for one year, you could go to Sawannakhet and apply for another Non-O visa. They're not asking for any financial statements now, well, times are changing.

You could make some money by teaching/ tutoring. Better happy with your family and little money than unhappy without them.

Wish you good luck from lower Isan. Should your leg has gotten better, you could also get a full time job.

Cheers- wai.gif

Teaching work or tutoring is always an option, and also get some flyers done let people in the area know you are available to teach them basic English. There are always contacts who can help, I have a few people who call me from time to time, you just have to come and try it.

arent farangs forbidden from FARM WORK in the first place ? not a good idea to base your plans on something illegal

or am i wrong ?

He used to own a farm, no farming is not an illegal job if you own it, the work however should be done by Thais if possible, but who checks

arent farangs forbidden from FARM WORK in the first place ? not a good idea to base your plans on something illegal

or am i wrong ?

He used to own a farm, no farming is not an illegal job if you own it, the work however should be done by Thais if possible, but who checks

The local Labour Office does check. It only takes one envious or mean Thai reporting to them and you are done. He did not own a farm, foreigners cannot own land, remember? And agricultural work is one of the jobs prohibited to foreigners. BUT there is an exception. If you have an usufruct contract on a land area, then you are allowed to use and work on that land, you are not compelled to hire Thais to do the work. But the OP tried to work as a farmer and it did not work out for the given reasons.

or am i wrong ?

It is only academic in this case but for those who are interested in the legal principles you can't legally own a farm or do agricultural work on any one else's farm including a Thai spouse's land. Agricultural work is one of the occupations reserved for Thai nationals in the Annex to the Working of Aliens Act which defines work in very broad terms so as to include unpaid work. A usufruct agreement entitles you to the use and produce of the land but certainly does not give you exemption from the Working of Aliens Act. What a strange notion!

The Labour Ministry and the Immigration Bureau are obliged by law to investigate every formal complaint about foreigners working without a work permit and working in protected occupations. Such complaints are regularly made by jealous competitors, disgruntled employees etc. So the OP is probably fortunate that he didn't end up being arrested, fined and deported in addition to his other sad woes.

Edited by Arkady

In case people have forgotten, this is the Visas and migration to other countries forum; that is countries other than Thailand.

The OP has asked about obtaining a UK visa for his wife; and in 21 posts no one since VisaPlus in post 4 has addressed that issue.

Whilst I am sure expressions of good wishes and suggestions of how he might move to Thailand are welcome to the OP; discussions on who can and cannot own or work farmland are wandering too far off topic.

No more posts on those lines, please.

Hi Gary,

As Visa Plus stated you could use the disability route - I have a friend who is using exactly that (he had 4 strokes in 6 years, then an unexpected epilepsy diagnosis on top of that - the doctors banned him from driving for 5 years and from working for 2 years "for observation"). If you have a good family GP, he can probably wangle something similar for you because of your leg. That (nominally) automatically qualifies you for disability allowances etc.

The hurdle you may have, but seem to have overcome, is passing the Habitual Residency Test - all entitlements to benefits and NHS care rests on that if you were out of the country for the whole of the previous 2 tax years. Pass that, or get a waiver/exemption, and you're onto full entitlement ... I would caution anyone returning to UK after a long spell outside the EU and UK to dig into that before returning, and have their exemption criteria sorted well in advance of returning.

In terms of generating income other than benefits - try to visit the local library and look up copies of the Writer's and Artist's Handbook and similar - there are thousands of magazines looking for knowledgeable freelance writers (if you have photos you get paid more) - everyone has expertise in something, right? But be sure your writing and grammar is up to par, editors auto-reject poorly written submissions. This is work you could do even if "crippled" and it's easy to keep off the radar if you ask for no byline when published.

There's many other similar sedentary occupations you could pursue freelance - PM me if you want to chat about it, I'm in UK too, and in same boat that wife and kids are in Thailand waiting being able to tick all the boxes for a settlement visa. I've been back 19 months now but we're getting there - got the house, job etc. just need to build some "official self-employed" extra earnings to meet the full income criteria without savings under the new rules - we were all set to apply in July this year until those new rules arrived.

It takes time mate, and despair is too easy (as is rage and frustration at the system), but stick with it, anything that comes too easy is never valued or enjoyed.

Garry (2 R's)

Thanks everyone for your support.

I tryed to teach in chaiyaphum, but to teach you have to have a degree in any subject and a tefl course. I dont have a degree. I did some teaching in our local school which the teachers there were very happy about, but there wa s no paid jobs.

Im willing to work anywhere and do anything if its legal. I even tryed to find work in war zones as a driver it was £1000 a week, but my wife saw a video clip on the net which showed a man being shot as he drove a lorry.

Yes maybe i was lucky not to have a problem when i was farming, the locals called me the crazy farang or poor farang as they could,nt understand why i worked every day. But i think i had there respect as iworked shoulder to shoulder with them.

I was also very friendly with the local inspector of police, its good to have friends!!

Thanks again

Gary

Depending on why you are sick, and if you receive ( or will receive ) any disability - related benefits, you might qualify for exemption from the financial requirement. The guidance says this:

6. Exemption from the financial requirement

Where the applicant’s partner is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or any of the following disability-related benefits in the UK, the applicant is exempt from the new financial requirement in respect of that application stage:

Disability Living Allowance.

Severe Disablement Allowance.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

Attendance Allowance.

To evidence their exemption the applicant must provide:

Official documentation from HMRC confirming the applicant’s partner’s entitlement and the amount received.

At least one bank statement showing payment of the benefit or allowance into an account in the name of the applicant’s partner.

Gary. sorry to hear this. VisaPlus's post is very helpful and this may be a route you should pursue. I would also sugges that you make contact with your local MP, councilors, doctor, social services etc etc. Find out about all the claims processes and forms now. You may find some of these people sympathetic and more helpful than you think, and they will know their way around the system which you have been out of for several years. Good luck - hope it all works out.

Edited by Baerboxer

Gary - I think your best bet would be to contact your local MP and ask for his/her help. They can often achieve a lot in situations like this, so it is good to have them on your side.

Are you due to retire soon? If so, maybe you would be better off using that as a way to get a visa for Thailand. I know this isn't what you asked about but it's an option worth considering if you can get your wife into the UK.

All the best and I really hope you can get this sorted. Governments around the world really need to take compassionate grounds into consideration when deciding on visa applications. You pay tax for 32 years and all you get is a kick in the teeth. That just about sums up what the UK government thinks of its citizens. Meanwhile the MPs live a jolly old life on your tax. Disgusting.

Whilst contacting your MP may elicit some helpful advice; it must be remembered that the immigration rules are written and amended by the government, albeit with help from the UKBA, to reflect the government's policies. They are then approved by Parliament before they come into force.

An MP can, obviously, help if the rules have been applied incorrectly; but they most definitely cannot attempt to persuade the UKBA to ignore the rules or make an exception to them in any particular case. It would be a serious abuse of their position were they even to try.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your support.

I tryed to teach in chaiyaphum, but to teach you have to have a degree in any subject and a tefl course. I dont have a degree. I did some teaching in our local school which the teachers there were very happy about, but there wa s no paid jobs.

Im willing to work anywhere and do anything if its legal. I even tryed to find work in war zones as a driver it was £1000 a week, but my wife saw a video clip on the net which showed a man being shot as he drove a lorry.

Yes maybe i was lucky not to have a problem when i was farming, the locals called me the crazy farang or poor farang as they could,nt understand why i worked every day. But i think i had there respect as iworked shoulder to shoulder with them.

I was also very friendly with the local inspector of police, its good to have friends!!

Thanks again

Gary

My condolences to you and hope your leg problem is resolved soon and that you can get back together with your wife and family.

In the meantime it may be a good idea to consult the CAB, their advice is free and they are mostly conscientious too. They should be able to tell you about any benefits you may be entitled too and will almost certainly be able to ascertain the situation regarding a visa for your wife and accommodation for you and your family. As single teenage mothers and immigrants play the homeless card that may be a route to consider. Best of luck, stay positive and devote all your energies on how to solve your problems.

Edited by Anon999

• 2 months later...

Visas Plus had good advice.

There are many people who if circumstances were to change would find themselves in a similar situation.

Wish you the best of luck. If the leg is a big problem go back rent a house and the follow the route claiming disability living allowance.