webfact

FORESTRY DEPARTMENT

National parks chief face transfer

JANJIRA PONGRAI,

PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

30187435-01_big.jpg

Believes move may be linked to him razing illegal resorts in Thab Lan Park

BANGKOK: -- The chief of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation cried foul yesterday over his imminent transfer. Damrong Phidet said he had heard he would be transferred out of the top job at the parks department.

"But I have not yet seen the official order yet," he said. "I feel the transfer order is not fair".

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk, meanwhile, denied reports that Damrong would be axed for demolishing resorts illegally built in Thab Lan National Park.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra set up a committee on Monday to find the truth about the process that led to the demolition of nine luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew in Nakhon Ratchasima and Prachin Buri's Na Di district.

The panel will be chaired by Thongthong Chandrangsu, permanent secretary of the Prime Minister's Office.

Yingluck told the Cabinet meeting in Surin on Monday she had instructed Thongthong to set up a committee to find the truth behind the Department of National Park's demolition of luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew after receiving complaints from owners.

"We have to await the result of an investigation by the committee chaired by Thongthong," Preecha said. "It is a fact-finding investigation".

However, Preecha said shortly after that while most resort owners were protected by a temporary injunction from the Administrative Court, Department of National Parks staff demolished the nine buildings following a court order under |the 1961 National Parks Act, Article 22.

WILLING TO ACCEPT ORDER

Damrong said: "I've heard about these rumours since last week - that I would be moved to other agencies. I don't know the real reason but I would accept the order if it is true.

"A lot of people told me that I reacted too strongly by leading a group of DNP staff to demolish big resorts located at Thab Lan National Park last week.

"If this is the real reason behind an order to move me out of my post, it was really not fair for a hard-working person like I," he said.

Damrong is due to retire from his position in two months. His work has mostly focused on wildlife and fighting illegal encroaching on forests.

"I won't be sad for what I've done," he said.

Chote Trachoo, a permanent secretary of Natural Resource and Environment Ministry, also denied the report, saying he had not seen any official letter to move Damrong from his position.

Thongthong, meanwhile, told The Nation he had not seen any official letter appointing him as the head of a fact-finding committee over Damrong's move to demolish resorts in national park areas.

"I just know from the newspaper that the Cabinet appointed me as chairman to investigate Damrong's action," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-01

Yingluck told the Cabinet meeting in Surin on Monday she had instructed Thongthong to set up a committee to find the truth behind the Department of National Park's demolition of luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew after receiving complaints from owners.

Seems to me the committee should be looking at the truth behind how the owners were allowed to build there in the first place. Must be some powerful owners behind the scenes.

• Like 2

PHETCHABUN – Early one Thursday morning, a gun was pointed at Ms. Kwanla Saikhumtung, a 34-year-old mother, because she was farming.

The man who pointed the gun was one of ten armed officers from Phu Pha Daeng, the local wildlife sanctuary in Lomsak district. After observing the villagers for three days, the officers finally informed Ms. Kwanla and twelve fellow villagers from Huay Kontha that they were trespassing on wildlife sanctuary land. They demanded that the villagers come to the police station to talk with them.

They refused. The villager that hired them paid taxes on the plot, leading the villagers to believe they had a right to work the land, and they worried about finishing their work. The officers quickly became annoyed. One threatened to shoot any villager that resisted the officers’ orders.

“Are you really going to shoot? I’m here to harvest the corn, and you want to shoot us?” Ms. Kwanla shouted. She then bravely grabbed the barrel of the gun, pressed it to her chest, and said, “If you’re going to shoot, shoot.”

http://asiapacific.a...ing/#more-19394

Unfortunately the current head of the forest department has an history of violence and intimidation. It's not to say that it is wrong to defend our national parks but his "Judge Dredd" methods have no place in a democratic society. Maybe he could get away with intimidating illiterate forest dwellers but the people of Wang Nam Khieo are of a different breed : educated, well informed of their rights and with access to lawyers.

The borders of the national park are not clear. For the past ten years, a lot of conflicting signals have been given to the population. Tourism is a real bonanza for an area that doesn't have much other advantages. You can't wake up one morning and decide "We're going to phase out tourism from Wang Nam Khieo" without first looking at the consequences for the local people. I'm sure compromises could have been found that would have bring satisfaction to all parties involved

But the head of the national park thought he could act alone as judge, jury and executioner. It seems he was wrong.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

Seems he is an eviromental warrior...........

BANGKOK–Making a show of belatedly cracking down on wildlife trafficking, especially commerce in elephants to work at tourist camps, Thailand Department of National Parks, Wildlife & Plant Conservation chief Damrong Phidet entered April 2012 “under attack from both the goodies and the baddies,” assessed The Nation sub-editor and Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand board member Jim Pollard.

“The owners of camps along the Burma border and others in Surin, some of them thought to be deeply involved in elephant smuggling, have talked about blocking highways and petitioning to try to get Damrong Phidet removed,” Pollard continued. Also seeking Damrong Phidet’s removal were more than 58,250 petitioners declaring support for Wildlife Friends Foundation of Thailand founder Edwin Wiek and Elephant Nature Park founder Sangduan Lek Chailert, whose animal charities were the targets of apparent retaliatory raids by wildlife officials in February 2012. http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/anp/2012/04/13/raids-on-wildlife-rescue-charities-put-thai-wildlife-agency-chief-under-the-spotlight/

Damrong Phidet, director-general of Thailand's wildlife agency said the elephant meat was ordered by restaurants in seaside destination Elephants risk extinction due to growing taste for its meat in Thailand ...

With just six months to go before his retirement, National Parks chief Damrong Phidet sets out his priorities

Since his appointment last September to the post of director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, hardly a day has gone by when Damrong Phidet's name hasn't been mentioned on the local news or in the newspapers. Some of the reports have been favourable, others less so and a few have slammed him, but most of the media seem in agreement that he is working hard to stamp out the illegal trade and smuggling of protected wildlife and forest land encroachment across the country..........

With Pheu Thai winning last year's general election, Damrong found himself back in the driving seat at the National Parks, Wildlife, and Plant Conservation Department. He's due to retire in October.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Cracking-down-on-smugglers-and-encroachers-30180874.html

• Like 1

This guy looks like a reak "Prick"; Defined as Sever of Emotional Pain & Physical Pain-not to be confused with the other popular definition concerning anatomy!

Just to clairify everything for the monitors here. There is Graft written all over his face.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This guy looks like a reak "Prick"; Defined as Sever of Emotional Pain & Physical Pain-not to be confused with the other popular definition concerning anatomy!

Just to clairify everything for the monitors here. There is Graft written all over his face.coffee1.gif

Relevance?

Anyway, where is it written? Is it written in Thai, Pali, or Sanskrit? Have you see it written on other faces, as well? You must have amazing eyesight... or something... blink.png

This guy looks like a reak "Prick"; Defined as Sever of Emotional Pain & Physical Pain-not to be confused with the other popular definition concerning anatomy! Just to clairify everything for the monitors here. There is Graft written all over his face.coffee1.gif

Your comments are unfair to say the least.

But if you think your 'method' of judgment is fair, then go ahead and publish your photo on this thread, let some members give a quick analysis just from your looks.

Given that you clearly see your method of 'judgment' as fair and credible, I'm sure you will totally accept whatever comments come in regard to your photo.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

"I'm sure compromises could have been found that would have bring satisfaction to all parties involved".

Good to know. What would those be, specifically?

- Clear definition of the borders of the National Park. Believe it or not, you can meet five well informed people with map of the borders of the National Park and you will have five different maps. Even the different local authorities, including the national park, are unable to provide such map.

- Clear definition of the criteria used by the agents of the National Park to define if someone is in infraction or not. According to who you're talking to, it goes from "only the rich outsiders are targeted" to "everybody out", which honestly doesn't look like a strong legal base to terrorize people.

-Clear vision of the future of the area. According to some plans that have been published, in this forum too, the goal of the Forest Department is to run its own resorts to finance the protection of national parks. Basically it can be resumed by : we kick out the private investors and we take away their business for the "profit" of the National Park. People are not stupid, they all know for the profit of who these resorts will be ran. But it can also been understood that the National park needs the profit of the resorts for running the parks. And also there is the aspect of protecting the wild life. So why not setting up clear rules for the resorts operating in the vicinities of the national park and maybe some special taxes to support the national park, but letting the private sector in charge because experience has proved again and again that it is the best way to operate.

Here are only a few suggestions. But the head of the national park never offered any explanation, never discussed any of his objectives with the local population. He just sent his goons to terrorize the villagers. And now the backhoes to demolish the resort despite the current appeals.

This guy is a liability for all those who honestly try to defend the national parks and the wild life in Thailand. He should have been transferred long ago.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

"I'm sure compromises could have been found that would have bring satisfaction to all parties involved".

- Clear definition of the borders of the National Park. Believe it or not, you can meet five well informed people with map of the borders of the National Park and you will have five different maps. Even the different local authorities, including the national park, are unable to provide such map.

- Clear definition of the criteria from the agents of the National Park used to define if someone is in infraction or not. According to who you're talking to, it goes from "only the rich outsiders are targeted" to "everybody out", which honestly doesn't look like a strong legal base to terrorize people.

-Clear vision of the future of the area. According to some plans that have been published, in this forum too, the goal of the Forest Department is to run its own resorts to finance the protection of national parks. Basically it can be resumed by : we kick out the private investors and we take away their business for the "profit" of the National Park. People are not stupid, they all know for the profit of who these resorts will be ran. But it can also been understood that the National park needs the profit of the resorts for running the parks. And also there is the aspect of protecting the wild life. So why not setting up clear rules for the resorts operating in the vicinities of the national park and maybe some special taxes to support the national park, but letting the private sector in charge because experience has proved again and again that it is the best way to operate.

Here are only a few suggestions. But the head of the national park never offered any explanation, never discussed any of his objectives with the local population. He just sent his goons to terrorize the villagers. And now the backhoes to demolish the resort despite the current appeals.

This guy is a liability for all those who honestly try to defend the national parks and the wild life in Thailand. He should have been transferred long ago.

The efforts of those honestly trying to defend national parks and reserves are praiseworthy. Most confront powerful vested interests, as you correctly imply, and successes are limited. Many "conservationists" have been disposed of in various ways. Read up on the case of Seub Nakhasathien, for example; there are more. I fail to see how one can place the blame squarely on this guy for the various deficiencies listed above, and for the failure to negotiate solutions. If anything, I would wonder who played what roles in the lack of action to prevent these places from being built in the first place. Only the naive would believe that all those who built resorts were totally innocent of wrongdoing because they were "confused". Historically, IMO, encroachment upon other parks and reserves has not been due to "uncertainty" or "confusion" by the encroachers acting with integrity and good faith, hoping for the best.

On another issue, IMO the concept of anyone's resorts _inside_ national parks to "finance" them is anathematic to wilderness preservation values. These values are almost unknown here in Thailand, unfortunately, and are under attack globally. As a result, wilderness areas are shrinking all over the world. It's probably too late for most of Thailand now, which is very sad indeed. Let's hope Myanmar does a better job, and resists insatiable greed and the glittering false god called "Develop At All Costs".

• Like 1

- Clear definition of the criteria from the agents of the National Park used to define if someone is in infraction or not. According to who you're talking to, it goes from "only the rich outsiders are targeted" to "everybody out", which honestly doesn't look like a strong legal base to terrorize people.

The efforts of those honestly trying to defend national parks and reserves are praiseworthy. Most confront powerful vested interests, as you correctly imply, and successes are limited. Many "conservationists" have been disposed of in various ways. Read up on the case of Seub Nakhasathien, for example; there are more. I fail to see how one can place the blame squarely on this guy for the various deficiencies listed above, and for the failure to negotiate solutions. If anything, I would wonder who played what roles in the lack of action to prevent these places from being built in the first place. Only the naive would believe that all those who built resorts were totally innocent of wrongdoing because they were "confused". Historically, IMO, encroachment upon other parks and reserves has not been due to "uncertainty" or "confusion" by the encroachers acting with integrity and good faith, hoping for the best.

On another issue, IMO the concept of anyone's resorts _inside_ national parks to "finance" them is anathematic to wilderness preservation values. These values are almost unknown here in Thailand, unfortunately, and are under attack globally. As a result, wilderness areas are shrinking all over the world. It's probably too late for most of Thailand now, which is very sad indeed. Let's hope Myanmar does a better job, and resists insatiable greed and the glittering false god called "Develop At All Costs".

A clarification. Nobody contest that the people who encroached in the National Park should be evicted. The problem is in a "no man's land" zone that is not in the National Park but that the National Park feels falls under its jurisdiction. This zone has been cleared in the 70's, before the creation of the national parks. There is no more trees, no more wild life, it's been cultivated fields and villages for more than 40 years.

The problem is a very old problem. In 2000, during Chavalit administration I believe, the border should have been officially redrawn to acknowledge the fact that the land was now village land and was not part of the National Park anymore. But as it was frequent at the time, the government collapsed before the law was passed. There is talk that this law will now soon be passed and this land will officially and definitively be outside the jurisdiction of the National Park. So what we may have here is a desperate action from a desperate man trying to beat the clock. Anyway, his action were totally illegal as the decision to demolish the resorts were currently under appeal.

It's a very technical file. It's good to have strong conviction, but to have knowledge of what's going on can be useful too.

PS : You have since modified your post. But since I have spent a lot of time to write my own answer, I hope you won't mind if I let it stand ?

Edited by JurgenG

And the compromises?

I believe, due to the proximity of the national park and the restriction due to the land titles, some code of conduct can be imposed and accepted by the resort owners. Specifically I'm thinking of the ratio of land that can be built and land that should be used for either agricultural purpose or just growing trees. Also noise level, karaoke are a real nuisance. There are also some specific problems that are linked to water management.

Edited by JurgenG

Like Thaksin (and the killing of assumed drug users), this man is taking the law in his hand.

If not stop, he will become power greedy and act as police, judge and executioner.

I hop he is punish by the law, for an unlawful destruction of private properties.

• Like 1

And the compromises?

I believe, due to the proximity of the national park and the restriction due to the land titles, some code of conduct can be imposed and accepted by the resort owners. Specifically I'm thinking of the ratio of land that can be built and land that should be used for either agricultural purpose or just growing trees. Also noise level, karaoke are a real nuisance. There are also some specific problems that are linked to water management.

Are these not policy matters that exceed the powers of a park manager to negotiate independently on a case-by-case basis? unsure.png

We can probably speculate endlessly about why he did what he did. He may possibly have become disillusioned about the delays inherent in the appeal process. Lot Anyway, it is rumored he is being moved, TBC.

You seem to know quite a lot about this area and this guy. Do you live in the area? smile.png

Seems to me the committee should be looking at the truth behind how the owners were allowed to build there in the first place. Must be some powerful owners behind the scenes.

I think these powerful owner are the committee.

And the compromises?

Are these not policy matters that exceed the powers of a park manager to negotiate independently on a case-by-case basis? unsure.png

We can probably speculate endlessly about why he did what he did. He may possibly have become disillusioned about the delays inherent in the appeal process. Lot Anyway, it is rumored he is being moved, TBC.

You seem to know quite a lot about this area and this guy. Do you live in the area? smile.png

Not yet but we go there quite frequently. We stay in a place that a friend bought 10 years ago before moving back home. He left us the keys and asked us to keep an eye on his property, what we do with great pleasure. We seriously consider buying a place in the area for our retirement, that's why we have great interest in the evolution of the situation.

And the compromises?

Not yet but we go there quite frequently. We stay in a place that a friend bought 10 years ago before moving back home. He left us the keys and asked us to keep an eye on his property, what we do with great pleasure. We seriously consider buying a place in the area for our retirement, that's why we have great interest in the evolution of the situation.

Interesting to get the local perspective, thanks.

Edited by Reasonableman

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra set up a committee on Monday to find the truth about the process that led to the demolition of nine luxury resorts in Wang Nam Khiew in Nakhon Ratchasima and Prachin Buri's Na Di district."

What truth is there to find other than them illegally encroaching on land that's part of a national park?! The guy did the right thing!!!

What they really should be focusing on is who gave the construction permit for those resorts in the first place and bring him to justice!!!

• Like 2

PHETCHABUN – Early one Thursday morning, a gun was pointed at Ms. Kwanla Saikhumtung, a 34-year-old mother, because she was farming.

The man who pointed the gun was one of ten armed officers from Phu Pha Daeng, the local wildlife sanctuary in Lomsak district. After observing the villagers for three days, the officers finally informed Ms. Kwanla and twelve fellow villagers from Huay Kontha that they were trespassing on wildlife sanctuary land. They demanded that the villagers come to the police station to talk with them.

They refused. The villager that hired them paid taxes on the plot, leading the villagers to believe they had a right to work the land, and they worried about finishing their work. The officers quickly became annoyed. One threatened to shoot any villager that resisted the officers’ orders.

“Are you really going to shoot? I’m here to harvest the corn, and you want to shoot us?” Ms. Kwanla shouted. She then bravely grabbed the barrel of the gun, pressed it to her chest, and said, “If you’re going to shoot, shoot.”

http://asiapacific.a...ing/#more-19394

Unfortunately the current head of the forest department has an history of violence and intimidation. It's not to say that it is wrong to defend our national parks but his "Judge Dredd" methods have no place in a democratic society. Maybe he could get away with intimidating illiterate forest dwellers but the people of Wang Nam Khieo are of a different breed : educated, well informed of their rights and with access to lawyers.

The borders of the national park are not clear. For the past ten years, a lot of conflicting signals have been given to the population. Tourism is a real bonanza for an area that doesn't have much other advantages. You can't wake up one morning and decide "We're going to phase out tourism from Wang Nam Khieo" without first looking at the consequences for the local people. I'm sure compromises could have been found that would have bring satisfaction to all parties involved

But the head of the national park thought he could act alone as judge, jury and executioner. It seems he was wrong.

He deserves what he is getting but unfortunately that will not compensate all the poor people and the poor animals that had to suffer due to his egotistical mind and behavior such as the raids he savagely and brutally performed on WFFT and ENP back in February ... He's getting off easy because in my opinion he should go to jail and be accused of murder .... He's the lowest of the lowest ..

Relevance?

Anyway, where is it written? Is it written in Thai, Pali, or Sanskrit? Have you see it written on other faces, as well? You must have amazing eyesight... or something... blink.png

Oooppsss we have a Damwrong Fan ....!!

And the compromises?

Everybody who follows the local news knows about this creep ... just go back and check

And the compromises?

Everybody who follows the local news knows about this creep ... just go back and check

Your two comments added nothing whatsoever to the information base, but thanks for wasting my time reading them.

Relevance?

Oooppsss we have a Damwrong Fan ....!!

You have a fertile imagination. I am neither fan nor foe, just someone interested in protecting national parks and reserves. The attempted smear by association is childish, thoughtless, and plain wrong. You really should read the posts before jumping to conclusions like this. Please publish your photo so I can make a character judgement on you, as well, thanks. Too silly.