Public Health Ministry Bans Alcohol Sale On August 2 And 3

webfact

Close this ....we get these same arguments every time there's an alcohol ban.

Those who want well they can buy a day early, those who don't well thats fine,

Buddah, Christian or whatever, the fact is its the law. End Of!!

You could make a case for closing the whole forum on that basis. Most topics are probably recycled, but maybe there are some posters that haven't taken part in a particular debate yet. Not everyone has been here years or posts daily.

If you feel a thread is old and worn, don't click on it, it's easy. But if you still feel that strongly, maybe you should take your complaint to admin, who did the OP.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What we fail to remember is that some of us actually work from Monday to Friday teaching and when a nice Holiday comes up I would like to chill out on the beach and have a nice cool beer or two and if going with friends that could turn out to be a piss up! and that is very much welcoming after months of teaching these trying students at times sad.png

So as I'm not a religious or even a bloody Buddhist why should I have to stay clear or can't buy beer or whisky when these holidays are on?

And before anyone says well go home then, let me tell you I have family/house/friends here in Thailand, go and do one!!!!

1. Maybe your students are 'trying' because you're not trying - I can't say I'm impressed by the standard of English spoken by the Thais that I've met.

2. As one poster pointed out it is Thailand and therefore the LAW.

3. I fail to see thepoint of that argument - so big deal you have family/friends etc here woweee!!!! must mean you get a free pass to break Thai law

AND YOUR POINT IS......WORZEL GUMMIDGE? SIX YEARS TEACHING THAT SAYS SOMETHING IN ITSELF YES? LIKE I SAID GO AND DO ONE END OF.

HAHAHAHA....six years.....seems you think you deserve a life time achievement award ..... yes, for being such a ...........!!!

• Like 2

Go to the shop NOW (today, before midnight), stock up on all the booze and beer you need to survive those 2 short days - problem solved. Why do we have pages and pages of disgruntled posts EACH AND EVERY TIME such a holiday comes around? This NOT the first time alcohol sales are banned in Thailand, you know... GET OVER IT!

And if you're getting out of town: you'll ALWAYS find a shop willing to sell you a few bottles, and regardless of the ban.

Another solution is the visiting alcoholics that can't go a day or two with out their fix in respect for a religious holiday can just go home to their own country. Respect their religion and holidays or leave. Simple solution!

• Like 1

Sibelius,

The law banning alcohol sales between 1400 and 1700 has been in force for years; the ban on Buddhist feast days not so long as far as I know but I stand corrected if wrong.

The point has already been made that you can stock up in advance; I'm not sure tourists are made aware of this especially noting the numbers who are turned away at Tesco's 7/11 etc during 'dry' periods.

Eventually Thailand will recognise the effect on tourism when people flock to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. You can even by alcohol in Malaysia (back of the market at Butterworth station)

It is very unfortunate, but my mooban is on a permanent shakedown from the pricks in black. We all have to pay 300 baht a month for protection. I have no idea why, but it's not collected in a nice fashion. Anyway, worse still, the two piss ants who do the protection drink whisky each night in the shop two doors down; share a bottle and then drive home. i will report over the next couple of days how much they drink there; same same I should imagine.

It is very unfortunate, but my mooban is on a permanent shakedown from the pricks in black. We all have to pay 300 baht a month for protection. I have no idea why, but it's not collected in a nice fashion.

If I have ever read something on here that is deserving of a thread all of its own, it is what you have said here. Genuinely, please share, sounds juicy.

You could make a case for closing the whole forum on that basis. Most topics are probably recycled, but maybe there are some posters that haven't taken part in a particular debate yet. Not everyone has been here years or posts daily.

If you feel a thread is old and worn, don't click on it, it's easy. But if you still feel that strongly, maybe you should take your complaint to admin, who did the OP.

The law says no selling of alcohol! What's there to debate?

Are you worried to be dry for 2 days ? Lol

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country.

Whilst I agree with that in principle. Heaven forbid were I to tell a Muslim similar in the UK

• Like 1

I'm off to the shops to stock up then......

I'm on holiday from work, and I am getting together with friends on Friday. Not worried about being dry for two days, but worried that when I will want a beer, I can't get one. Is that okay?

No. Man up, respect their religion.

The law says no selling of alcohol! What's there to debate?

Okay, maybe debate wasn't the most apt choice of word, I will change it to discuss. My point is the same though, if you don't like a thread, don't participate, end of.

Following on from that though, there is plenty to discuss regarding laws in Thailand, their application, and the logic behind them.

However, this is off topic, so that'll be my last on this.

Edited by LucidLucifer

Many places still serving in BKK tomorrow, just got to know where to look :-)

Care to share the secret? After all, one of the premises of the forum is to help each other and offer advice.

Your local mom and pop shop is not an acceptable answer.

Is there a clue in the op?

However, the ban will not cover hotels registered under the Hotel Act.

Yes, actually I am. What does it matter to you? After 4 months with a broken leg and just being given clearance to walk without assistance and 5 days off from work, I'd like to enjoy my time off. This is a cause for celebration. Let's add to that ... My girlfriend has just gotten her visa approval to visit the US in October to meet my family. Also, one of my best friends is moving to Bangkok. Yeah, it does kind of bother me, as I am not Buddhist.

Well you not being a Buddhist doesn't have much to do with anything. You decided to live in a Buddhist country.

Whilst I agree with that in principle. Heaven forbid were I to tell a Muslim similar in the UK

Well Thailand certainly isn't the UK. The national religion is Buddhist. The King is the leader of the Buddhist people of Thailand. There is also a Muslim population in Thailand. In most areas they coexist peacefully. I know both and some who have intermarried... Back to what does this have to do with the existing Thai laws in the country I choose to live in? I've gotten over a lot of other things that use to bother me about living here... These little alcohol bans for a few days here or there, are the least of my worries!

• Like 1

Sounds like you need a drink. Why get annoyed about something that is so easily resolved? That person was making a joke. Drink in hotels or drink in the house with all of your friends. Are you a bit stressed out about your girlfriend meeting your parents? It's quite understandable. There is no need to take it out on someone having a joke with you...Be careful when you are drinking, you don't want to fall over a break something...stay in and relax with a few beers, it's probably safer. ;-)

Many places still serving in BKK tomorrow, just got to know where to look :-)

Care to share the secret? After all, one of the premises of the forum is to help each other and offer advice.

Your local mom and pop shop is not an acceptable answer.

Excellent answer, top marks.

I don't think

Is there a clue in the op?

However, the ban will not cover hotels registered under the Hotel Act.

Great answer, dead right.

I do kind of think he had other places in mind though.

Come on folks - you choose to live here and know the rules on alcohol sales at Buddhist feasts and election days. You have at least three choices - don't drink, buy in advance or find a local shop whee the owner is prepare to risk being fined (I say at least three as some smart **se is sure to mention another one!)

Why do we have this winging every time the law is imposed? TIT If you can't stand the heat.....................

Because as a law it largely achieves nothing in terms if stopping anyone drinking. In true Thai legal and societal fashion, a show, a sham of a law in terms of achieving anything. All show over substance, it is a sop.

It's illegal to sell to underage drinkers every day of the year and it happens everywhere. Brilliant hypocrisy.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Even though drunks will always find a way to get drunk, I consider a good thing that the Thai Government gives this signal, and tries to reduce the (ab)use of alcohol on major Buddhist Holy Days.

Edited by Renbe