Lay'S Potato Chips -- Screw You!

ricklev

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We used to do all of the photography for a major chip brand. We got to try all the new flavors before they came out, plus some of their prototypes that never went anywhere. The studio was often packed to the rafters with chips. Whenever I went to visit friends I would bring a case or two along. We once went through seven cases of chips to get five perfect, but not identical chips for the new packaging of ripple chips.

So I have seen a lot of chips in my day, but I usually go back to my first love, sour cream and onion. But jalepeno kettle chips, when they still made them were the ultimate. I miss them dearly.

BTW the village shop a few doors has a rack of plain Lays. but I never bought any, plain is boring.

We used to do all of the photography for a major chip brand. We got to try all the new flavors before they came out, plus some of their prototypes that never went anywhere. The studio was often packed to the rafters with chips. Whenever I went to visit friends I would bring a case or two along. We once went through seven cases of chips to get five perfect, but not identical chips for the new packaging of ripple chips.

So I have seen a lot of chips in my day, but I usually go back to my first love, sour cream and onion. But jalepeno kettle chips, when they still made them were the ultimate. I miss them dearly.

BTW the village shop a few doors has a rack of plain Lays. but I never bought any, plain is boring.

Sour cream is a good choice. I esp like the Pringles sour cream.

Salt n Vinegar is my fave though.

I haven't had a bag of Lays Crisps in a long time,I got fed up with 80% injected air,and 20% Crisps,which made up a bag full of nothing!

The reason for the air is to keep the product from being crushed, the reason for the oversized bag compared to the amount of chips - marketing.

I haven't had a bag of Lays Crisps in a long time,I got fed up with 80% injected air,and 20% Crisps,which made up a bag full of nothing!

The reason for the air is to keep the product from being crushed, the reason for the oversized bag compared to the amount of chips - marketing.

Agree with the first part,but when does marketing end,and profiteering begin?

when the weight on the bag is also misleading

Think there is contents weight on the pack. The puffed up pack is to do with freshness. smile.png

I am not sure if there is an actual difference between those terms.

Until I can find equally tasty chips that are less expensive for the same weight, I am not going to going to obsess about how much air is in the bag.

Edited by Ulysses G.

ooow, what brand?

I need some.

http://www.kettlebra...to_chips/?pid=4

dont recall the red spicy logo on the bag, but these were most certainly them, i like the sea salt and pepper ones as well

it would seem there are 2 varieties of Kettle jalapenos at villa on 11,

the ones above (better)

and these (still good, but not as IMO)

http://www.shearers.com/OurSnacks/KettleCookedChips/Jalapeno.aspx

the Shearers are 10 baht a bag cheaper though.

Americans cant make potato chips.

The best potato chips are made in Sweden.

OLW and Estrella, nothing, and I mean, nothing can come close to those brands.

Lay, Pringles etc, its all the same, just with added spice on top of it. No deep genuine taste.

Ah, but I disagree.

There are dozens, if not hundreds of local brands throughout the USA that put the industrial grade chips like Lays to shame.

But just like the brands you mention, they aren't widely distributed so most folks have never had a chance to try them. Comparing Lays to your brands is like comparing McDonalds to a real hamburger joint (Fuddruckers, for a popular example)- not fair.

Still, I like the generic taste and feel of the Original and Rippled Lays chips in the USA which are different from the Original Lays chips here and the ones I used to eat in China. Not as good as some US local brands, but I eat what I can find. Dip 'em in a little salt enhanced sour cream and I'm at peace with the world for awhile.

I've given up on Lay's, they're just too greasy with way too many variations. Kettle's chips are the best here (imported from U.S.), and sensible package sizes too.

I don't like Kettle chips, which is lucky because they're too expensive. Easy to find a Villa Market.

Crisps are the reason I'm getting fat. sad.png

Kettle chips are nice! biggrin.png I'm not too fussy though really but I prefer the ridges to normal crisps in Lays. Means I can lick and bite eat ridge off bit by bit. tongue.png

Hmmmmm, not good for your keep fit training plan eh. whistling.gifsmile.png

Kettle chips are nice! biggrin.png I'm not too fussy though really but I prefer the ridges to normal crisps in Lays. Means I can lick and bite eat ridge off bit by bit. tongue.png

Easy tiger tongue.png

Easy tiger tongue.png

My technique for eating a Mars Bar is all the chocolate first.

Passing through India the other day i picked up a bag of Lay Magic Masala, as a fan of Indian food, but with low expectations knowing how these potato crisp flavours can often bear little resemblance to the flavour they purport to. Back in Bangkok, i ate the bag and was kicking myself i didn't pick up half a dozen bags. Great flavour. With the popularity of Masala in the UK, can't understand why a Walker's equivalent isn't sold there. Or perhaps it is. Anyway, i believe looking on the website, they sell them in Canada too, so if you find yourself in India or Canada, recommend you try a bag.