Visa Runs In The North...

Hi All,

I am a UK national with a "Non-O" multiple entry visa (my wife is Thai). Normally (for the past 3 years/visas), due to work commitments, I would fly out of the country every couple of months to 'reset' my next 90 day entry period when I returned to Thailand...

However, this year I would like to make some border runs instead of flying out of the country and have a couple of questions for the experts:

Do I need anything other than myself and my passport when doing a border run? By that, I mean whether proof of marriage (the reason for my visa type) is necessary as well..? I'm hoping to do this on my own, so it would be good if the wife didn't need to come too! wink.png

Which border crossing, in people's opinions (Mae Sai or Chiang Khong), is best for a day trip..? Is getting into Laos more expensive than entry into Burma? Is there anything to do close to the border...? I don't want to venture too far into Laos or Burma.

I have been to the market (just across the border in Burma) a couple of times before, but used my driving license to cross over as a 'VIP'. Is it worth going up to Tachilek with one of the touts just outside the market, or better just to do some shopping...?

Any/all advice appreciated! Although my most important question is whether I need to take anything else other than my passport with me - I don't really want to get turned away...

Cheers,

M

You can do it at any border crossing where you depart Thailand and stamped into the other country.

Nothing is required other than your passport.

Burma is cheaper for entry than Laos (aprox 1500 baht or $35)

You can just do a little shopping.

Edited by ubonjoe

OK, thanks guys...

I picked these border crossings, as they are both about the same distance from me - I think I'll stick with Mae Sai though; just to be a 'tight-wad' and save some money for my shopping! I just can't say no... smile.png

Out of interest - is there anything similar just across the border on the Laos side? Cheap (read: fake) goods and the like? Or is it simply sightseeing opportunities when you cross the border at Chiang Khong?

I'll have another trip to make in the next 3 months, so maybe I'll push the boat out and check out Laos next time instead?

Cheers,

M