Thailand'S First Ev Charging Station Opens In Bangkok

webfact

let me see, an electric vehicle gets around 150kms from a full charge and it takes between 6 - 8 to achieve a full charge. If I was driving from Chiangmai to Bangkok (around 900 kms) I would have to stop and recharge 6 times. 6 X 8 hrs = 48 hours + 10 hours actual driving = 58 hours for the trip. 2 1/2 days to get to BKK, no thanks I will stay with a petrol vehicle and cut 2 days off my trip.

The only thing that has a chance to work are hot-swappable batteries at service stations. Takes only a couple of minutes and you leave with fully-charged batteries. I think at least Renault has plans to offer such a car. Of course there are huge problems to work around: standardising battery packs not being the least one. Also this can only work with some kind of vehicle long-term rental including this service. People owning their car would not easily accept to have its batteries swapped with others from unknown origin and state. Kind of a niche market at this time, I'd say.

Edited by Lannig

I second this.

Rechargeable electric vehicles.

A technical deadend if ever there was one. Limited range and don't even think about running the ac.

Electric vehicles really only make sense when they are fuel cell especially here in Thailand.

Can't understand why any energy company doesn't invest more in hydrogen production especially here in Thailand where renewables can be used to generate it.

let me see, an electric vehicle gets around 150kms from a full charge and it takes between 6 - 8 to achieve a full charge. If I was driving from Chiangmai to Bangkok (around 900 kms) I would have to stop and recharge 6 times. 6 X 8 hrs = 48 hours + 10 hours actual driving = 58 hours for the trip. 2 1/2 days to get to BKK, no thanks I will stay with a petrol vehicle and cut 2 days off my trip.

Is that something you do every day?

No, just saying I would prefer to drive there in 10 hours than 58 hours.

Me too. But if 99% of my driving is in Bangkok, then it would suit me.

As it is if I need to go on a long journey then I fly and hire a car

EV will never work in thailand? why ? well, what about the 307% import tax, that will kill anyone wanting ot drive a greener car...

I don't think that Thais are really all that concerned about the enviroment anyway. Annual burning, rubbish dumped in streets and waterways just to name a couple of things. Thais generally would not even know what the enviroment was.

Would not the range of an EV be enough for many people who drives mostly in town?

Would not the range improve?

Has the combustion engine evolved since it was put in cars?

Someone once said that 640k RAM ought to be enough

A telecoms expert from a major provider said in the 90's that 56k is all you can get out of the land lines

In 1942...

Would not the range of an EV be enough for many people who drives mostly in town?

Would not the range improve?

Has the combustion engine evolved since it was put in cars?

Someone once said that 640k RAM ought to be enough

A telecoms expert from a major provider said in the 90's that 56k is all you can get out of the land lines

In 1942...

Unless there is a huge leap in battery technology technology then rechargable cars will always remain unattractive for the majority of customers due to limited range.

In an earlier post I mentioned that hydrogen can be generated by renewable energy, wind or solar.

Imagine how convenient it would be if you could have that generator at home, store the hydrogen yourself and refuel at home as needed.

The technology is available now and should be widely marketed very soon.

Hydrogen can also be used in internal combustion engines with very little modification so no need to buy a new car with expensive batteries.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

The one thing that I never hear any mention about, is how to tax electric autos. When you buy gasoline

in the states, you are paying about 50 cents per gallon for federal and state taxes. This is what funds

highway construction and repair. People being people will try and avoid paying this if they can. When

you pay the tax at the pump, there is no problem. When you have to rely on people reporting the milage

driven, there will be some fudging.

The one thing that I never hear any mention about, is how to tax electric autos. When you buy gasoline

in the states, you are paying about 50 cents per gallon for federal and state taxes. This is what funds

highway construction and repair. People being people will try and avoid paying this if they can. When

you pay the tax at the pump, there is no problem. When you have to rely on people reporting the milage

driven, there will be some fudging.

Tax could be charged on units used at the recharging point.

As mentioned on prior posts I believe the energy required for air con (or heaters in cold climates) are real battery killers. IMHO the only solution would be a hybrid with a small engine for "low charge" or "high energy demand" conditions. Would provide a large sense of security for those who worry about runny out of juice. Quite a few of those around that should be presented as options.

A technical deadend if ever there was one. Limited range and don't even think about running the ac.

Electric vehicles really only make sense when they are fuel cell especially here in Thailand.

Can't understand why any energy company doesn't invest more in hydrogen production especially here in Thailand where renewables can be used to generate it.

Very true.

But consider this, what the hell is 9 yes nine charging stations going to do to help with the millions of cars on the road in Thailand.

Yet another fanfare from La La Land...he he he

Very true.

But consider this, what the hell is 9 yes nine charging stations going to do to help with the millions of cars on the road in Thailand.

Yet another fanfare from La La Land...he he he

Well these are luxury imported vehicles that attract tan import tax of over 300% It will only be the more afluent families that will own one. 9 recharge stations should be enough for this exclusive club. The majority of the population could never afford one of these vehicles. Do they actually come in the Ute (pickup for Americans) style.

Edited by chooka