What Is Your Geographical Knowledge Of Thailand?

AmusingBellyDancers

What is your geographical knowledge of Thailand?

Look at the image I will attach to this forum message. I think it dates from 2005.

Does it surprise you? Can you explain the results.

Why are the top-ranked provinces so high, and why are the lower-ranked provinces so low?

So many people on this forum speak knowingly about Thailand and yet know so little.

I have a quiz for you.

1. How many provinces are there in Thailand?

2. How many provinces are there in the south of Thailand?

3. Is Sa Keaw in Isaan or central Thailand?

4. Is Petchabun in Isaan or the north of Thailand?

5. What are the newest provinces in Thailand?

post-161025-0-14875500-1344005965_thumb.

CHACHOENSAO is the airport province, no?

And I think Petchabun is North.

I don't know the answers to the other questions but the chart is really useful so many thanks for posting it. In an earlier thread we were talking about Tak and whether it was West or North and now we know it's North. Actually didn't know there was a region called West but now I do!

Also, am pleased to see it confirmed that Issan is indeed the poorest region, that settles some debates.

Well number 4 at least always causes confusion,according to Wiki Phetchabun is in the north,according to Thai Visa and others it's central,it's at least not in Issan.

It is however a long way from Bangkok and took me 7 painful hours today on the bus.

I think

1. 70 something

* chachoensao...I have no idea. What is your theory?

Don't know about Chachoensao. That one puzzles me.

See how Lamphun is ranked at number 12. Why do you think that is? And yet Chiang Mai is way down at 33.

How about Songkhla at number 15?

I think I would have to know where the data comes from before I could answer the question. How was the data collected?

Sorry, one more bit of data:

the top rated provinces are all centered around the industrial complexes of Samut Prakan, that why they're so high.

Ditto Lamphun, there's a whole mass of Japanese owned clean engineering firms in Lamphun, Chiang Mai itself has relatively little industry although it is an agricultural hub and distribution centre.

Oh, and just realised, Sa Keaw is in Issan.

Edited by chiang mai

In looking at this again I'm a little confused by the term GPP and presume that should be GDP? The above poster refers to "income per person", will somebody please clarify or educate me on this point?

Also, the numbers relative to wealth (be they income or GDP) do not surprise, Bangkok and East dominate the wealth tables, followed by South and then North, Issan is at the bottom as anticipated - am I surprised by the degree of disparity, no not really but am always have to be surprised and learn something new.

Edited by chiang mai

What prizes do we get?

Ha ha!

Sorry, no prizes. Let's just share our knowledge.

Why does CHACHOENSAO rank so high?

Not so sure. There is a big Toyota factory and when I stop eating in the area, there is always a lot of Japanese, there is maybe a relation.

I can assure you, that most foreigners here know more about Thai geography AND history than middle and high school students.

Case in point. Last week, a student grabbed my arm and pulled me towards a map. He asked me where is England. We both look at the map in total awe. He is in awe because he asked a genuinely good question to his teacher.

My awe is that we are both looking at a map of Thailand and its neighbors.

• Like 2

See how Lamphun is ranked at number 12. Why do you think that is? And yet Chiang Mai is way down at 33.

The list is sorted "per capita"

Yes, but what per capita, GDP, average annual income, bowls of som tam per year?

The list is sorted "per capita"

Yes, but what per capita, GDP, average annual income, bowls of som tam per year?

In the picture they list it as gpp per capita.

Which to tell you the truth I am not sure of but,

When I see "per capita" I think X amount of income/product etc. divided by population.

In which case I know Chiang Mai has I believe over 1.5 million & Lamphun only 43k populations.

In that case it seems understandable ( if I have thought of this correctly ) how Lamphun would be higher than

Chiang Mai

Provinces on the Eastern seaboard, Chachoengsao, other provinces surrounding Bkk, and other provinces with large industrial estates distort the Yearly income per capita GPP figures because of a higher proportion of professional, and management salaries paid in those factory complexes.

Yes I agree it's a factor of wealth but what is it, the key though I think is to understand what GPP really is and no doubt some enlightened soul will come along momentarily and tell us, maybe?

I am not 100% positive but I believe it is Gross Regional and Provincial Product

http://www.nesdb.go.th/Default.aspx?tabid=96

Edited by mania

Provinces on the Eastern seaboard, Chachoengsao, other provinces surrounding Bkk, and other provinces with large industrial estates distort the Yearly income per capita GPP figures because of a higher proportion of professional, and management salaries paid in those factory complexes.

"Yearly income per capita GPP", I believe an explanation is in order.

What prizes do we get?

Ha ha!

Sorry, no prizes. Let's just share our knowledge.

Probably just because of the Eastern side of the province has the airport and all the factories around and not far from sukhumvit.

After a quick google earth the rest of the province doesn't seem to have anything.

The table isn't much of a surprise. The factories that make up the majority of the countires high paying industry stretch from Eastern Bangkok down to Rayong.

The amount in Bangkok is probably bought down by the amount of low paid migrants.

Rayongs is probably pushed up by the oil industry.

The one that does surprise me is Samut sokhon as there doesn't seem to be anything like the industry there is on the eastern side of the gulf when driving through it, but this is 7 years old and much more is on the eastern side since then. I imagine the province wouldn't be as high today.

As someone posted I'd like to know how this survey was really done because I cant see the most people in this country with real money declaring their true income/wealth.

• Like 1

I can assure you, that most foreigners here know more about Thai geography AND history than middle and high school students.

Case in point. Last week, a student grabbed my arm and pulled me towards a map. He asked me where is England. We both look at the map in total awe. He is in awe because he asked a genuinely good question to his teacher.

My awe is that we are both looking at a map of Thailand and its neighbors.

When I told my friends back home that I will leave Thailand to work in Hong Kong, a lot of them were convinced that Hong Kong were in Japan.

I'm sure more than half of the posters here will place Sierra Leone somewhere in South America.

And if I give you a blank map of Europe, can you place Bucarest and Budapest in less than 15 seconds ?

"Yearly income per capita GPP", I believe an explanation is in order.

Oh, Freudian slip from looking at the chart in the OP. whistling.gif