Cambodia Visa Run Closed For Ed Visa Run? Is This School Lying To Me

KirillStorch

Hi,

Sorry if this seems redundant to some members but I did an honest search of the forum and couldn't find an exact answer to my query:

I just started an ED visa through a local school. They told me that Cambodia was no longer an option for a visa run given the fact I am on an ED visa, and poor Thai-Cambodian relations. They also seemed to indicate that going on my own and trying to do a visa run without a special visa run company that knows how to handle the paperwork over there is a bad idea. Suspiciously they gave me the card of a visa run company and told me to use them. I feel like they are misconstruing information and that they get a kickback from this "special visa run company."

Is there anything stopping me from just using one of the Cambodia visa run services on Soi Bukaow that are mentioned on this forum (members stated these cost around 2200 Baht).? Once I get there, is there something special I have to do? Or do these visa run companies kind of guide me through the process? This is my first time and I appreciate folks chiming in even though I know this subject has been somewhat exhausted here.

Are you using the Education visa as a means to bypass the laws here? Like the majority of people signing up to the education visa? I find it interesting that the first thing you want to know after signing up for the education visa is the rules on visa runs to Cambodia! I suspect that you see this as a means to stay here without complying with the law here. Be careful, the powers that be in the immigration department are on to this.

I dont know what visa you have?I have Ed -visa and never do border run?Iknow its different ex in Phuket vs Pattaya but its 90 day report/notification becuse in Phuket the give you 1 year extension,Pattaya only 90 days extension (1900b).But ok sure some of the experts here know more of this.Should maybe be in visa section.

Are you using the Education visa as a means to bypass the laws here? Like the majority of people signing up to the education visa? I find it interesting that the first thing you want to know after signing up for the education visa is the rules on visa runs to Cambodia! I suspect that you see this as a means to stay here without complying with the law here. Be careful, the powers that be in the immigration department are on to this.

I don't think this forum is used for "assuming" if peoples questions are lies or illegal or not. I think he is asking a question looking for help and NOT for you to assume he is trying to stay here illegally.

ANYWAYS.........There is nothing official that says Cambodia is not issuing visas etc. so just do it yourself or call the place on the card they gave you. Did this place give you all the paperwork that is required to get your visa? If so then just go yourself and wing it. It's all good experience and there are always touts outside the Thai consulate in other countries that are there to help for a small fee if you get to that point. Yes it always seems shady when dealing with these touts however they are normally well worth the fee. But like I say, if you have all the paper-work then just getting a visa is a very easy process.

Edited by Rimmer

do youalready have the ED visa or do you need to get the ED visa ? It's not the same, if you need to visa run (already have visa in your passport) cambo will be no problem but as I understand it you have to go to thai embassy/consulate to get the ED visa, might be the case that phnom penh currently doesnt issue those

do youalready have the ED visa or do you need to get the ED visa ? It's not the same, if you need to visa run (already have visa in your passport) cambo will be no problem but as I understand it you have to go to thai embassy/consulate to get the ED visa, might be the case that phnom penh currently doesnt issue those

I need to get one. I will be going from one ED visa to another. My current ED expires so I will be getting one from another school. So in that case, it sounds like it's Laos. I just want to find a way out of a 7K trip. Can I still make the trip for 2K or so and get it all done promptly?

I need to get one.

A very different need then, as the main interest of ED-Visa (in addition to school) is to not have to make visaruns any more smile.png

To get a ED-Visa, looks like all schools now recommand Laos/Vientiane because of to many refusals in Phnom Phen

BTW you don't need to change school to get a new ED-Visa.

PS: You talk about the 2,000 baht visa run to Cambodia border, but you are not concerned. You must go to a Thai Embassy abroad to get a new visa, not just to the border.

I need to get one.

A very different need then, as the main interest of ED-Visa (in addition to school) is to not have to make visaruns any more smile.png

To get a ED-Visa, looks like all schools now recommand Laos/Vientiane because of to many refusals in Phnom Phen

PS: You talk about the 2,000 baht visa run to Cambodia border, but you are not concerned. You must go to a Thai Embassy abroad to get a new visa, not just to the border.

thank you..can you advise as to the best, quickest and most cost effective way to do this? how do i charter transportation to the nearest thai embassy in laos? where is the nearest thai embassy in laos? do i need to make an appointment first?

are you suggesting there are no bona fide students in pattaya that simply wish to learn to speak Thai ?blink.png

If your ED-Visa expires, you just continue your studies in your current school and do your 90day-Reports.

There is no need to optain a new ED-visa. You just extend your visa at counter 5 at Jomtien, showing your

school's paperwork..., and go on studying without any interuption.

If you actually need a new Visa, going to Penang would be an option, too. I went there two years ago and

optained my ED-Visa without any problems.

I wonder why your school doesn't explain the usual way to you.

• Like 1

I need to get one.

thank you..can you advise as to the best, quickest and most cost effective way to do this? how do i charter transportation to the nearest thai embassy in laos? where is the nearest thai embassy in laos? do i need to make an appointment first?

I would recommend calling "jack golf tours" they do these types of runs 3 or 4 times per wee for years now. http://www.jackgolf.com/en/

It is not your concern why he wants an ed visa. Seriously, if you can't contribute anything to his question then why bother posting?

I recently got an ed visa from Phnom Penh no problems at all. I did use an agency though not one recommended by my school. The school told me there were no problems obtaining a visa in cambodia.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App,

It is not your concern why he wants an ed visa. Seriously, if you can't contribute anything to his question then why bother posting?

I recently got an ed visa from Phnom Penh no problems at all. I did use an agency though not one recommended by my school. The school told me there were no problems obtaining a visa in cambodia.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App,

wow thanks, this is the best and most helpful answer I have received thus far! How recently was this? Which agency did you use? Where are they located and what was the cost? Any other tips you have for me?

Why is it your concern anyway? And if Ed visa's are available then how is he bypassing the law if he attends for lessons?

I think your username sums you up.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Why is it your concern anyway? And if Ed visa's are available then how is he bypassing the law if he attends for lessons?

I think your username sums you up.

Besides, if a person wants a visa and decides to learn Thai at a legitimate school to get an

Ed visa, that's perfectly legal.

It's a win-win. Get a visa and learn Thai.

I need to get one. I will be going from one ED visa to another. My current ED expires so I will be getting one from another school. So in that case, it sounds like it's Laos. I just want to find a way out of a 7K trip. Can I still make the trip for 2K or so and get it all done promptly?

ok my self moving from one school to a new one and in all the questions I asked here and I called 3 schools you dont need to go out of the country.The school should give you all the paper you need and like elreico abow told you.No need to go anywere.If the school insist, you go to some other schools and ask what they would do,you can save time and money.Can you tell what school you are in now?but never mind if you dont want to put there name here.When you are changing school the old school should give you a letter that states that you ar stopping in that school.you ask your new school,they should know about this.No need for visa run. Edited by crille30

I do agree that it is unusual that his school is not helping with all of this.

their advice was to do a 7K trip through a specific company. What is the best way to get to the Thai consulate in penang then? Do i need to make an appointment first?

The best way going to Penang (at least one good way) would be to book a flight with Air Aisia. You can check their fairs

and times on their homepage.

Once arrived there, take a taxi from Penang Airport to Georgetown, to Lebuh Chulia (Chulia Road), wellknown by any

driver (costs ca. es 42 Rmy). Enter one of the Banana-Guesthouse and Travel-Sevice-Branches or any other travel-agency,

there are more than one, easy to recognize.

Leave your Passport and your school's paperwork, sign, pay and wait one day (or two, if you arrive too late).

Pick up your passport the other day and take a taxi or bus to the Airport to catch your flight home.

Depending on your arriving time in Penang, you should calculate one or two nights in Penang, except weekends or

holydays of course.

Edited by elreico

• 2 weeks later...

It might be cheaper to go Laos, i've been to both Vientienne & Phnom Pen.

Going to Vientienne, the first thing to do will be go to the train station

on dark side and book a ticket Bkk-Nong kai, (~800 baht w sleep) and you may as well buy a ticket

Nong kai-Bkk 3 days after.

The train leaves Bkk around 8pm and arrive in morning in Nong kai,

you will then take a tuk-tuk to border, go through,

and take the small bus that goes up to Vientienne.

After that, you either rent a bicycle or pay the taxi thug 4 times as much

as you would in Pattaya to get to a hotel.

And morning after again rent a bicycle or pay taxi thug to get to thai embassy, and back.

Next day at 1pm get yet again to embassy to pick up passport and then go straight to

bus station-minibus-border-tuk-tuk-train station, and wait until 4pm or so when train head for Bkk again.

Edited by poanoi

• 1 month later...

Why not just pay the 7k and go Lao? They take care the paperwork, and you dont need to re invent the wheel. Thats if you really do need to leave the country for a visa. I went there for my ED visa, but for some reason, the guy that was taking care of the paperwork, used the wrong papers, and almost cost me another trip, so you have to watch and ask if he is sure about the paperwork. The 7k also incluedes a night in the hotel, and breakfast.

• 3 weeks later...

snapback.pngKirillStorch

Yes your School Lying to you, and yes they get a kickback from this "special visa run company."

if you Interested in Visa runs best way go to Cambodia, trough Visa Run company or by yourself

Visa Run companies charche somewhere 1600 - 2200 range, If you go by yourself

will cost you 240 (if I am not mistaken) one way ticket + same amount to comeback, Cambodian visa cost 20 USD

so total you will spend 1180 bat.

I crossed Cambodian border at least 10 times and alwayse went there by myself, I have friends in Siem Reap.

If you already in the school and have ED Visa, YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEAVE THAILAND, just go to different school and pay yearly fee for studies and they will do all documents for you ( at least my school does this way) you have to apply to ohter school at least 1.5 month before your visa expires

example : you went to Pattaya immigration payd 1900 bat and you got stamp till 1st of december, so you applay for onother school in October 15,

you pay tuition fee for a year to your new school and they will do the rest. If you have any problems contact me trouht this forum.

If at any time you want to visit your country or go to different country (Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines et) you just go to Pattaya Immigration and fill appropriate form (permission to leave Thailand), it will cost you about 1900 bat you can stay out of Thailand not more then 3 month without losing your ED Visa

John

KirillStorch

Yes your School Lying to you, ...

You didn't read well what KirillStorch needs.

He don't need just a 2k visarun to the border

He needs to get an ED Visa, then going to Phnom Penh in the case of Cambodia.

If so many places recommend to go to Lao nowadays, it's well because in Phnom Penh it's not so easy, not so reliable sad.png

KirillStorch

Yes your School Lying to you, ...

You didn't read well what KirillStorch needs.

He don't need just a 2k visarun to the border

He needs to get an ED Visa, then going to Phnom Penh in the case of Cambodia.

If so many places recommend to go to Lao nowadays, it's well because in Phnom Penh it's not so easy, not so reliable sad.png

My bad