Retirement Renewal - How Dumb Am I?

Report at Immigration. It can be done by mail ( I'd register the mail ) Support has less financial obligation to Immigration for the extension. No medical required for support either. :o

Thanks Doc - support is 400k vs. retirement at 800k

I think I've got it and thanks for all your help (until next time) :D

A bit more oil on the fire,

I got a nice little stamp in my p/port that reads "admitted until (date....)"

Sure, this must be a visa, as on top of the page is printed VISA.

OK, before you flame me, I am joking, but wonder if this could be a reason why people mix up visa and immigration permits.

So once again, a visa for Thailand is issued by a RT Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand. This is nothing more than a recommendation to let you into the country and suggest that you arrive as tourist, for business (non-imm 'B) or other reasons (non-imm O or OA etc.).

The embassy or consulate has no power to instruct the immigration officer to let you in, that's why I say a visa is a recommendation, nothing more.

The decision is with the immigration officer (and his/her superiors)

a) if you may enter the country

'b) how long you may stay

That's when you get your little stamp "admitted until (date....)" and that's when your visa is voided, if it is a single entry. Your multiple visa will not be voided but is useless as long as you are in the country. Once you leave and return, as long as the visa is still valid, a) and 'b) above starts again.

Finally, we read so often in here, that somebody comes to get a 30-days visa on arrival. No such thing exists. Here we are talking about a visa-exempted entry which is granted to tourists, only, and to people from 40 countries, only.

Everybody else, either non-tourist or from other countries cannot enter Thailand without having first obtained a visa before reaching the immigration counter.

As long as you stay inside the country, the guys from immigration are in charge, if you want to EXTEND your stay it is immigration that can extend the little stamp "admitted until (date....)".

The 90-days-reporting has nothing to do with visa or permit to stay. As long as you are in Thailand you have to tell immigration every 90 days that you are still here. If you leave before having been in LoS for 90 days, no need to report, even if you leave and come back same day, as than the 90-days-period starts again.

But if you are permitted to stay longer than 90 days, that's the extention to be granted by immigration, you report.

Sorry, if this is too long, and I am sure, soon somebody will come claiming to get a 30-days visa on arrival. We all know what he means.

And, yes, I am sure lopburi3, with always good advise, Dr. PP and George can often read between the lines what a poster might mean.

Both are Non-Immigrant O visa's. Retirement and / or support can be reasons for extension eligibility at Immigration.

All of the above makes me more certain that arriving in LOS with a multiple entry O-A w/supporting wife is the 'better' way to go?

Sure, you have to do the police/medical in the states before arriving Don Muang but they (Immigration) will chop your passport good for a year and no 90 day reporting?

You still have that 90 day reporting each and every time you stay for 90 days

OK - That's clear. No sweat. I can report to the Amphur in my Changwat, right?

Not to beat this sorry horse to death though...I'm still better off going for the 'support' vs the 'retirement' clause for extension eligibility? :o

Although changwats (provinces) have many amphurs (districts), they are civil/local authority establishments and cannot deal with immigration issues. That is a job for the Royal Thai Immigration Bureau and you must do the 90-day reporting at the Immigration Bureau or at a provincial immigration office.

Axel's the Man!

Cheers, Axel... :D

Both are Non-Immigrant O visa's. Retirement and / or support can be reasons for extension eligibility at Immigration.

All of the above makes me more certain that arriving in LOS with a multiple entry O-A w/supporting wife is the 'better' way to go?

Sure, you have to do the police/medical in the states before arriving Don Muang but they (Immigration) will chop your passport good for a year and no 90 day reporting?

You still have that 90 day reporting each and every time you stay for 90 days

OK - That's clear. No sweat. I can report to the Amphur in my Changwat, right?

Not to beat this sorry horse to death though...I'm still better off going for the 'support' vs the 'retirement' clause for extension eligibility? :o

Although changwats (provinces) have many amphurs (districts), they are civil/local authority establishments and cannot deal with immigration issues. That is a job for the Royal Thai Immigration Bureau and you must do the 90-day reporting at the Immigration Bureau or at a provincial immigration office.

I think that's what I meant - mine would be in Suphan City I believe.

Rather than trust the Post, I could show up at that district office when on a Tesco's run every 90 days.

OK, before you flame me, I am joking, but wonder if this could be a reason why people mix up visa and immigration permits.

So once again, a visa for Thailand is issued by a RT Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand. This is nothing more than a recommendation to let you into the country and suggest that you arrive as tourist, for business (non-imm 'B) or other reasons (non-imm O or OA etc.).

The embassy or consulate has no power to instruct the immigration officer to let you in, that's why I say a visa is a recommendation, nothing more.

'B) how long you may stay

That's when you get your little stamp "admitted until (date....)" and that's when your visa is voided, if it is a single entry. Your multiple visa will not be voided but is useless as long as you are in the country. Once you leave and return, as long as the visa is still valid, a) and 'B) above starts again.

Finally, we read so often in here, that somebody comes to get a 30-days visa on arrival. No such thing exists. Here we are talking about a visa-exempted entry which is granted to tourists, only, and to people from 40 countries, only.

Everybody else, either non-tourist or from other countries cannot enter Thailand without having first obtained a visa before reaching the immigration counter.

As long as you stay inside the country, the guys from immigration are in charge, if you want to EXTEND your stay it is immigration that can extend the little stamp "admitted until (date....)".

The 90-days-reporting has nothing to do with visa or permit to stay. As long as you are in Thailand you have to tell immigration every 90 days that you are still here. If you leave before having been in LoS for 90 days, no need to report, even if you leave and come back same day, as than the 90-days-period starts again.

But if you are permitted to stay longer than 90 days, that's the extention to be granted by immigration, you report.

Sorry, if this is too long, and I am sure, soon somebody will come claiming to get a 30-days visa on arrival. We all know what he means.

And, yes, I am sure lopburi3, with always good advise, Dr. PP and George can often read between the lines what a poster might mean.

You've got a pretty good grasp on it yourself Axel. :o

Curiously, besides the tourist visa exemption thing - there actually also is such a thing as visa on arrival.. The following cut&paste is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website:

TEMPORARY TOURIST VISA : VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 20 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must produce full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry.

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should produce the application form to which his/her recent photograph (2 ½ inches) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. (662) 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.police.go.th/frconten.htm

• List of 20 countries is as follow :

1. Bhutan : Kingdom of Bhutan

2. China : People’s Republic of China (including Taiwan)

3. Cyprus : Republic of Cyprus

4. Czech : Czech Republic

5. Estonia : Republic of Estonia

6. Hungary : Republic of Hungary

7. India : Republic of India

8. Kazakhstan : Republic of Kazakhstan

9. Latvia : Republic of Latvia

10. Liechtenstein : Principality of Liechtenstein

11. Lithuania : Republic of Lithuania

12. Maldives : Republic of Maldives

13. Mauritius : Republic of Mauritius

14. Oman : Sultanate of Oman

15. Poland : Republic of Poland

16. Russian Federation

17. Saudi Arabia : Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

18. Slovakia : Slovak Republic

19. Slovenia : Republic of Slovenia

20. Ukraine

Check out http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

Correct, there are visa on arrival for the group of nationals mentioned.

I was considering them when saying:

These travellers arrive at one of the checkpoints and before proceeding to the immigration counter they have to visit the 'visa-on-arrival office'. There they fill in a visa-application form, pay the fee and wait for the visa to be granted, which can be within 15 minutes, e.g. at Dong Muang airport or much longer, if many applicants are there.

Only AFTER having received the visa they can move to the immigration counter where they will be stamped in, the visa to be voided and they get their "admitted until (date....)"-stamp.

Intresting point, the visa is issued in the office and still entry can be denied by the immigration officer, 20 meters away.

These visa are basically the same as would have been issued in an embassy/consulate. Generally, I tell my friends, not to do it for inconvinience. You arrive, have to apply for the visa, wait, and when you finally got it another 3 plane-loads of travellers arrived and queue in front of you. :o

I read rogerdee123's excellent report of his Retirement Visa Renewal At Suan Plu, Another Smooth and Painless Experience.

Since my own visa expires at the beginning of February I decided to follow his lead and hope for such a positive experience. (Stupid me....)

So, I gathered up all the stuff I needed: photocopies, photo, medical certificate, etc., and headed off to Bangkok with Ms. B.

Yesterday morning we made our way to the US Consulate to get my "proof of income" letter. This was our first visit to that little piece of our homeland and we were, of course, shocked to see what a madhouse it is. Fortunately, at the time we arrived (about 7:50 AM), the US Citizens Service section wasn't so bad. By 8:00 AM I had paid the fee, completed the form and handed it in.

By 9:00 AM the once empty room had become standing room only with some spill over to the outside. Lots of papers were being handed in; none were being passed out. So, people waited and waited and waited. Finally, at 9:30 AM a consular official called my name, asked me if I understood the form, had me sign and then he signed and handed it over. So, it took them an hour and a half to stamp and date the form that I had filled out. Now, I was a good Federal bureaucrat for 32 years and I don't think I've ever before seen a 20 second job turned into an hour and a half chore. Well done US Consulate!

Then it was off to Suan Plu. It was kind of busy, but not intolerably so. We went up to the information counter to get our numbered chit. The officer asked about my purpose. I told her and then she asked for my passport. She started explaining something in English, but then gave up and started out speaking in rapid fire Thai to Ms. B; all the while gesturing at the stamps in my passport. That's when the day started to fall apart.

I don't speak much Thai, but I soon got the gist of the conversation. Visas cannot be extended by Immigration. My visa expires February 8th and if I want another one I have to leave the country and get one at a consulate abroad. Immigration can extend an entry permit, but only shortly before the entry permit is about to expire. My latest entry stamp doesn't expire until the end of September, 2006.

It didn't take me long to realize how stupid I'd been. Of course I should have known that I can't extend a visa while in Thailand. Of course I should have known that I can't extend my stay until the stay is about to expire. So, all the preparation done, all the travel expense, all the fees, everything turned out to be a colossal waste of time and money. Money that this fixed income retired geezer simply can't afford to waste.

So, we backed out of Immigration. I was still dazed at both my stupidity and the horrible waste of time and money my cretinism had caused.

Eventually we ended up at Asia Books in Thaniya Plaza. While gazing at the Thai language learning books (most of which I've owned at one time or another and none of which has ever done me any good) Ms. B came to me with a book suggestion. The title: "Anger Management Techniques". Thank-you so much.

After being blasted by the US Consulate, humiliated by Thai Immigration and embarrassed by Ms. B I decided that some comfort food was in order. We walked across to O'Reilley's. While putting a couple of tomato slices on my fat cheeseburger a cockroach scurried out of my salad and across the table. I managed to capture it with an upturned ash tray and showed it to our waitress. She whisked the plate away. By the time my substitute burger arrived (20 minutes later), I'm sure Ms. B (who insisted on waiting) had to consume hers stone cold.

From there we headed up to Banglampoo for a quick walk down Khao San Road, a place so alien I was almost sure I'd need my still-valid visa to re-enter the Kingdom. At the end of the walk we decided we needed a cold drink. We dropped in to The Sidewalk Cafe and ordered a couple. Nearly a half hour later they still hadn't arrived when a young trainee said something to our waitress who, I presume, had forgotten to submit our order. She shouted it out loud to to the bartender and, eventually, we got our 70 baht nam manao pan. (70 baht? We get 'em here in Korat for ten baht; twice the size....)

By the time we got back to our hotel room I decided I ought to stop feeling sorry for myself and instead thank God for His most wonderful gift to mankind: alcohol!

So, after two cold Chang's in the hotel room, three gin and tonics for happy hour and a huge jug of Singha with dinner I felt pretty good. I guess I staggered across the street and passed out in bed. Of course, this meant no good-night hug for Ms. B. But, at that point I'm sure she was grateful that the self-induced coma had finally put an end to my whingeing; at least for the day.

So, rogerdee123, my experience wasn't quite as smooth and painless as yours....

And, I still can't get over my being such a stupid fool.

:o

Hi Mike,I know its been awhile,But didnt you get the MULTI entry OA like I did last Feb??

If so,you can still leave/return to Thailand before your "must be utilized before "date next month and get yet another 365 day"admitted until date" till Feb. 07 and thus buy more time before having to extend here in Thailand... Next year instead of Sep. of this year. Im going to do the same by going down to Singapore next month and arriving back here 4 days before my OA expires. thus "buying" 4 months more time as my last entry was back in October. Then will get re-entry permit soon after the visa expires to cover my trip back to the U.S. in August.,As for your "adventure" in BKK.,sometimes you have to pay for an education! Its sure happened to me enough! Ill be in touch.,Scotty

By the time we got back to our hotel room I decided I ought to stop feeling sorry for myself and instead thank God for His most wonderful gift to mankind: alcohol!

So, after two cold Chang's in the hotel room, three gin and tonics for happy hour and a huge jug of Singha with dinner I felt pretty good. I guess I staggered across the street and passed out in bed. Of course, this meant no good-night hug for Ms. B. But, at that point I'm sure she was grateful that the self-induced coma had finally put an end to my whingeing; at least for the day.

So, rogerdee123, my experience wasn't quite as smooth and painless as yours....

And, I still can't get over my being such a stupid fool.

:o

Don't kick yourself too hard buadhai, you had a classic LOS experience and survived it until happy hour.

That is about the best you can hope for.

So are we going to get something useful coming out of this thread ?

This is the third thread concerning the same subject.

Would the mods like to have a conflab and decide if they wish to enforce standard terms for words such as "visa" and "entry permit"

Not an easy decision to make or enforce, I grant you.

Axel's post was clear and easy to understand, there's a start.

'b) how long you may stay

That's when you get your little stamp "admitted until (date....)" and that's when your visa is voided, if it is a single entry. Your multiple visa will not be voided but is useless as long as you are in the country. Once you leave and return, as long as the visa is still valid, a) and 'b) above starts again.

Certainly cleared up a few issues that I had.

You seem to know your stuff .......

Nice pictures, buadhai and you obviously got something out of this trip.

And thanks to everybody for the positive comments. Actually, I just thought this morning to write a bit, assuming that most know the rules anyway.

Great that it seemed to have helped.

I myself live and work away from home for the last 35 years and 'fight' with immigration guys and rules. Found out the immigration office in Zurich does not look much different from the old shed in Yokohama. The officers' faces look angry most of the time, never mind which country you are in.

Thailand, the Land of Smiles, you still can makes them smile... sometimes. :o

Axel, one ought to post a link to your post every time one sees somebody muddled about this subject.
Would the mods like to have a conflab and decide if they wish to enforce standard terms for words such as "visa" and "entry permit"
Thetyim, the idea is good but I fear confusion would continue to reign supreme because the Thai authorities, in their infinite wisdom, themselves use conflicting terms for the same thing. Perhaps it is uniform in the original Thai text and something got lost in translation. Let’s take the so-called re-entry permit as an example (highlighting is mine):

1. The basis for the re-entry permit is section 39 of the Immigration Act:

Section 39 : After having received permission for temporary entry into the Kingdom , if the alien leaves the Kingdom it is considered that his temporary entry permit has expired. But , if prior to leaving the alien is granted permission to return by the competent official , and the alien returning is not excluded from entry under Section 12. and the period of time previously authorized has not expired , the alien shall be authorized to stay in the Kingdom for the rest of the authorized time.

In asking permission for re – entry, the alien must submit an application in accordance with the form and pay a fee in accordance with the rate and regulations as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

2. The form to ask for permission for re-entry (TM.8) is called Application for re-entry permit into the Kingdom. No problem so far.

3. Once your application is approved, you get a stamp (see attachment) into your passport with the large heading Non-quota Immigrant Visa (unless the stamp has been changed since I got my last one). That’s where there’s a possibility for confusion to set in. True, the text goes on to say This visa is good for xx return journey(s) to Thailand. It must be utilized before... “Return journey”, not quite “re-entry”, but close.

In other words, at the Immigration Bureau you apply for a re-entry permit and you get a visa. And who said that no visa gets issued within Thailand? :o

-----------------

Maestro

post-21260-1137766394_thumb.jpg

Just to add to the cluster phuck:

Hi Mike,I know its been awhile,But didnt you get the MULTI entry OA like I did last Feb??

If so,you can still leave/return to Thailand before your "must be utilized before "date next month and get yet another 365 day"admitted until date" till Feb. 07 and thus buy more time before having to extend here in Thailand.

Harpmann,

Yeah, I do recall Mike got the multi-entry O-A, which is apparently why he has an "admitted until" date of Sept something -- i.e., after arriving here last winter, he apparently left and returned in Sept 2005, getting stamped back in for a new 365 days courtesy of his multi-entry O-A visa.

Now, during his ill-fated recent venture to Bangkok, he obtained a re-entry stamp from Immigration, which of course he would need should he leave and try to return *after*his O-A visa expires on Feb 8. And, as such, he would be admitted only up to his previous 'admitted until' date of Sept something.

However, if he leaves and returns before Feb 8, the Immigration official might just reach for the 365-day stamp upon seeing a valid multi-entry O-A visa. Then, when he/she sees the "re-entry stamp,'" valid only up to Sept, this is where the head scratching could begin, as two valid entry permits exist side by side.

Anyway, just one more curiosity to ponder, amongst the other Immigration quirks, while Mike sobers up. :o

Nice pictures, buadhai and you obviously got something out of this trip.

And thanks to everybody for the positive comments. Actually, I just thought this morning to write a bit, assuming that most know the rules anyway.

Great that it seemed to have helped.

I myself live and work away from home for the last 35 years and 'fight' with immigration guys and rules. Found out the immigration office in Zurich does not look much different from the old shed in Yokohama. The officers' faces look angry most of the time, never mind which country you are in.

Thailand, the Land of Smiles, you still can makes them smile... sometimes. :o

Me too - been working away for a long time and concur re. Immigration Officers faces.

Whether it is renewing my one-year work visa for Brazil and having to travel to Paraguay or Argentina, it is all the same. Just the semantics different.

Patience is all you need. Thanks again for your good explaination Axel.

Just to add to the cluster phuck:

If so,you can still leave/return to Thailand before your "must be utilized before "date next month and get yet another 365 day"admitted until date" till Feb. 07 and thus buy more time before having to extend here in Thailand.

Harpmann,

Yeah, I do recall Mike got the multi-entry O-A, which is apparently why he has an "admitted until" date of Sept something -- i.e., after arriving here last winter, he apparently left and returned in Sept 2005, getting stamped back in for a new 365 days courtesy of his multi-entry O-A visa.

Now, during his ill-fated recent venture to Bangkok, he obtained a re-entry stamp from Immigration, which of course he would need should he leave and try to return *after*his O-A visa expires on Feb 8. And, as such, he would be admitted only up to his previous 'admitted until' date of Sept something.

However, if he leaves and returns before Feb 8, the Immigration official might just reach for the 365-day stamp upon seeing a valid multi-entry O-A visa. Then, when he/she sees the "re-entry stamp,'" valid only up to Sept, this is where the head scratching could begin, as two valid entry permits exist side by side.

Anyway, just one more curiosity to ponder, amongst the other Immigration quirks, while Mike sobers up. :o

Jim, I thought about this too ,later on,(wondering whether having purchased a re-entry permit before the visa expires next month would complicate matters if he would decide to leave/return to Thailand before Feb. 8) .It is indeed a good question as to what the "official " action would be in this case.

I do not think you are correct. Your passport will be 'chopped' for 90 days and at the end of those 90 days, you will be required to leave the country. Upon returning you will receive a further 90 day 'chop' and so on until your visa validity expires.

With an O-A visa he will receive a one year stamp on entry, be it single or multi entry type.

But there is no such thing as "w/supporting wife". That kind of visa is to spend the remained of your life in Thailand (retirement) and has nothing to do with supporting a Thai wife.

As for 90 day reporting I would do that as soon as you are here 90 days in any case. I know that this quote may be what he is thinking about "The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days." but in effect the "A" of that "O" visa was your first extension of stay (you did prior to arrival). I could be wrong but why take a chance.

I seem to recall that there does exist a distinction between a 'Retirement' and a so-called 'supporting Thai wife' Visa?

You guys are the experts but this does get confusing... :o

Could we not get a " pinned " step by step post by someone that truely DOES know how and what to do ?

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

Instead of 6 pages of 20 different answers . Or would that be to easy ?

• 3 weeks later...
Could we not get a " pinned " step by step post by someone that truely DOES know how and what to do ?

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

It would be contrary to the goals of the Thai Visa management. A "FAQ" on visas and related subjects has been suggested a number of times; most recently by me. The suggestion always gets shut down by TV management.

Why?

Take a look at the major sponsors of TV. It is in their interest for you to be confused and to pay them to take care of your visa needs for you.

So, go ahead and use the TV and Google search engines to your heart's content. You will, no doubt, find pages and pages of conflicting and contradictory information.

The solution? Hire Sunbelt Asia or some other TV sponsor to do your visa work for you since TV specializes in obfuscation rather than accuracy. (Just ask the mods. Do they spend their time ensuring accuracy or in making sure that TV is politically correct and sexually bland?)

It would be contrary to the goals of the Thai Visa management. A "FAQ" on visas and related subjects has been suggested a number of times; most recently by me. The suggestion always gets shut down by TV management.
ThaiVisa is full of FAQs, on the main page.

For example, there is “How to get Thai visas, reentry permit, residency

Then there is “How to get a visa extension for Tourist visa or Non-Immigrant visa

The above cover the most frequently discussed cases. There are dozens of other FAQs for other needs.

And if you still can’t find an answer to your question in that plethora of FAQs, you can still post it in the appropriate forum.

--------------

Maestro

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

Why?

Take a look at the major sponsors of TV. It is in their interest for you to be confused and to pay them to take care of your visa needs for you.

So, go ahead and use the TV and Google search engines to your heart's content. You will, no doubt, find pages and pages of conflicting and contradictory information.

The solution? Hire Sunbelt Asia or some other TV sponsor to do your visa work for you since TV specializes in obfuscation rather than accuracy. (Just ask the mods. Do they spend their time ensuring accuracy or in making sure that TV is politically correct and sexually bland?)

That is offensive crap Michael. Are you sure you like it at TV ?

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

Why?

I don't think this is a fair statement.

TV is a very good source of basic information and of up to date experiences of its members.

This is especially true for the visa application, renewals, etc.

Thanks to TV's info I made it for my non-I O in Singapore (of all places) and then for a 1 year extension based on retirement in a very remote immigration bureau.

Thailand is full of rules that are applied differently in different places and that makes it confusing but at the same time challenging.

It also means that many times impossible becomes possible.

I really appreciate the value and support I received from TV and its members even though I was treated as a semi lunatic at first.....

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

Why?

That was your 1,750th posting. Are your other 1749 postings as twisted as this one?

Edited by Artisan

Something like :

step #1... do this

step #2....do that

step # 3 ....pay this

Why?

That was your 1,750th posting. Are your other 1749 postings as twisted as this one?

:o well said.