Airport Metered Taxi Experience

grumpyoldman

Now picture yourself as a first time to Phuket tourist and experiencing that type of behaviour, within an hour of landing at the airport, for you long awaited holiday that you are excited about. Not a great first impression.

Then, you have even worse behaviour from the tuk-tuk drivers over the period of your holiday while you are trying to explore the island.

Like Hans says, "The whole system is broken."

You obviously know hansgruber then??? there is a lot of people that would love to catch up with him....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now picture yourself as a first time to Phuket tourist and experiencing that type of behaviour, within an hour of landing at the airport, for you long awaited holiday that you are excited about. Not a great first impression.

Then, you have even worse behaviour from the tuk-tuk drivers over the period of your holiday while you are trying to explore the island.

Like Hans says, "The whole system is broken."

You obviously know hansgruber then??? there is a lot of people that would love to catch up with him....

Just re read your posts...i was drinking and typing last night, so there was a bit of confusion...Im just trying to go back to see the mayhem, apologies all round

Taxis that park outside hotels and on tourist streets operate a totally different system to the cabs you see driving about. The ones parked up are looking for a small amount of high paid fares much like tuk tuks and the rest are looking for the opposite , as many fares as they possibly can regardless of the price of the fair.

The tourist taxis aren't doing anything wrong as long as they tell you the price in advance, if you don't like it you simply say no thankyou and wait for a passing taxi.

The way I see it they are charging a premium for being ready and waiting. If you would rather hunt down a cheaper taxi then that's up to you. As long as everybody is up front with negotiations and doesn't back track on prices there shouldn't be a problem.

The taxis in Bangkok parked in front of hotels are regular taxis with meters and should use the meters not try to rip people off, the hotel we were in closed the rank out front and phoned for taxis for guests who used there meters no problem

...i was drinking and typing last night, so there was a bit of confusion...Im just trying to go back to see the mayhem, apologies all round

Ahh, that explains the accusations of Kawa/Kenny supposedly doing the same thing......coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Do the metered cabs actually turn the meter on?

In BKK they do. In HKT they don't.

sometimes 20/80.. smile.png

In BKK (Swamp or DM) I ask if they go by meter. If they do, I hop in. If they don't, it's mai pai krap.

In HKT I usually get picked up by a member of the family. Last time I had to take a taxi, it was 500 B flat.

Never had a problem with taxis not using there meters at HKT, maybe its peoples attitude towards the drivers that makes a difference

Never had a problem with Tuktuks or Jetskis. Not because of my attitude. Because I don't need them.

• Like 1

No.

I am fed up with the crap at the airport.

What annoys me most is that as a paying customer at the airport which i use at least twice a month....i have to park at the bus bays near the back of the parking lot....yet at the cargo terminal next door there is acres of empty space....why not have the taxis parked there...and have a person on the radio calling the taxis over when required? People get intimidated the first time they exit the airport...its like a footy scrum....at the cargo terminal space all the taxi drivers can have big somtum stands and deep fried frog carts billowing smoke there...throw in a few card tables...even have some large mirrors there so they can pluck their facial hair using 1 baht coins.....they will feel right at home. I would really love to see if the mayor of Phuket could get a parking spot at the airport

Since the thread sort of took a turn comparing BKK taxis and HKT taxis, I'll pipe in with I have also had bad experiences in BKK.

Once, with Thai gal in tow, got a taxi from Don Muang to Suk 11 for an agreed to 600thb for the two of us. Driver stops at the top of 11 and demands 800. Both of us told the guy agreed to price was 600, everyone now yelling, he gets out throws our bags on the street (I did give him the 600) and he split. Had to walk rest of the way to the hotel, not far, but geez.

Also, I've had it where when I say "can run the meter" when I need to go somewhere in BKK, they wave me off and leave. Thats why I use the skytrain a lot.

Isolated incidents, many times I've had no problem in either places, occasionally...............oh well.

I read recently that HBO are going to produce a new TV series, based on Patong's tuk tuks and taxis. I understand that the name of the new series is "Bored Walk Empire". The Steve Buscemi type character is going to be played by the Mayor apparently, and the Chief of Police by his son.....smile.png

Edited by pagallim

Never had a problem with taxis not using there meters at HKT, maybe its peoples attitude towards the drivers that makes a difference

Never had a problem with Tuktuks or Jetskis. Not because of my attitude. Because I don't need them.

We use the metered taxis every time we return from holidays and they have always used there meters

What have jetskis or tuk Tuks to do with taxis

No.

I am fed up with the crap at the airport.

What annoys me most is that as a paying customer at the airport which i use at least twice a month....i have to park at the bus bays near the back of the parking lot....yet at the cargo terminal next door there is acres of empty space....why not have the taxis parked there...and have a person on the radio calling the taxis over when required? People get intimidated the first time they exit the airport...its like a footy scrum....at the cargo terminal space all the taxi drivers can have big somtum stands and deep fried frog carts billowing smoke there...throw in a few card tables...even have some large mirrors there so they can pluck their facial hair using 1 baht coins.....they will feel right at home. I would really love to see if the mayor of Phuket could get a parking spot at the airport

To simple a solution they could do the same thing with the TukTuks in Patong but it will never happen

Since the thread sort of took a turn comparing BKK taxis and HKT taxis, I'll pipe in with I have also had bad experiences in BKK.

Once, with Thai gal in tow, got a taxi from Don Muang to Suk 11 for an agreed to 600thb for the two of us. Driver stops at the top of 11 and demands 800. Both of us told the guy agreed to price was 600, everyone now yelling, he gets out throws our bags on the street (I did give him the 600) and he split. Had to walk rest of the way to the hotel, not far, but geez.

Also, I've had it where when I say "can run the meter" when I need to go somewhere in BKK, they wave me off and leave. Thats why I use the skytrain a lot.

Isolated incidents, many times I've had no problem in either places, occasionally...............oh well.

He may have heard that neat little trick works well in Phuket with the tuk-tuks and thought he'll do the same. :) :)

Why not send back taxi’s after midnight? That’s just stupid.

My ex-wife owns an airport taxi. They indeed have a strange rule that they are no allowed to work at the airport in the early morning, but can drop off passengers on the upper floor.

However, when it's the wee small hours, the meter taxi guys magically turn into black taxi guys :)

Simon

Once, with Thai gal in tow, got a taxi from Don Muang to Suk 11 for an agreed to 600thb for the two of us.

Literally just done that journey, DM to Soi 11. On the meter, its 220, plus the toll road fees, less than 300 baht. You were ripped mate.

Flew into Phuket. All the taxi booths were charging 650 flat rate to Chalong. I jumped into a meter taxi. There is a BIG sign up saying you pay the meter plus 100 baht. It's very clear. The meter displayed 380 baht, so i paid 480 in total.

Now here's the thing. The 100 baht is an airport surcharge, so the actual fare for that distance on a meter is 380. These flat fee guys charging 650 are having a laugh. We need meter taxis in Phuket and we need them now.

(On a Bangkok note, I believe the days of ALL taxi drivers taking you and putting on the meter, are quickly vanishing. I got a cab from DEPARTURES at Suvanabhum, he drove 100 yards whilst we argued about him putting the meter on. He stopped. I got out and immediately into another cab who put the meter on. The first guy drove away empty as the cops moved him on. Fool.)

• Like 1

My ex-wife owns an airport taxi. They indeed have a strange rule that they are no allowed to work at the airport in the early morning, but can drop off passengers on the upper floor.

However, when it's the wee small hours, the meter taxi guys magically turn into black taxi guys :)

Simon

Do you know what insurance cover she has for her customers if she has any

I would like to know if possible and i expect other people would to

However, when it's the wee small hours, the meter taxi guys magically turn into black taxi guys smile.png

Simon

I like the fact that if you cant beat them join them Simon, how did she get the plates? is she a southern Thai woman? Because I heard that driving taxis a 'locals' only job like immigration, the cops and dive boat captains/boat boys etc etc.....and Peter if they werent covered by insurance that would be a chink in the taxi mafias armour.....imagine running a campaign through the Australian media not to get green plate taxis....it would be too funny, especially around this time of the year when its mainly Australians coming. Why get a green plate taxi when your equally insured (if not better) in a private vehicle

I take Simon to mean his ex has a meter taxi, Taxis in Australia have unlimited hospital and medical cover for there passengers also very high limits on everything else the insurance covers

Meter taxis here must have some type of cover for there passengers as they are registered as taxis i would just like to know what is covered and for how much

However, when it's the wee small hours, the meter taxi guys magically turn into black taxi guys smile.png

Simon

That would explain the massive amount of black taxi’s pedaling their goods at 1205 am.

Yes she - my ex-wife has insurance cover for her airport taxi, but I don't know the full details because it is not my business. She deals with an office near to the airport whose sole business is taxi insurance etc. I do know from chatting with the Chinese-Thai owner of that business that they have previously paid out some quite large sums of money when tourists have been involved in accidents and treated at Bangkok-Phuket Hospital.

Snanos, she purchased the airport taxi and airport taxi licence a couple of years ago from someone who had a gambling debt.... Both her and I have lived and worked right by the airport for many years with our hotels, so she and I are well-known (and liked) by the local taxi guys and businesses. She's not from south Thailand though - Issan woman

I can't remember the price of the taxi licence and 'old' taxi vehicle, but not cheap - about 1 million baht or so. It is a very lucrative business smile.png

Simon

Edited by simon43

Now here's the thing. The 100 baht is an airport surcharge, so the actual fare for that distance on a meter is 380. These flat fee guys charging 650 are having a laugh. We need meter taxis in Phuket and we need them now.

No, the black taxi's don't pay the airport surcharge of 100 Baht, so the comparison Mark made is correct. Airport meter taxis are making 380 Baht where the black taxi is making 650 Baht for the same trip.

I use the so called meter taxi from the airport to Rawai couple time a month....

Always 500 bht and if good driver get a tip 100bht and a red bull when we stop at 11/7 for my beers for the ride...

I have never seen the meters used always a set price from the girl in the taxi stand...

I even get a reciept for my expense account..

yes I've had some hell rides and shitbox cars in my travels....

but mostly ok TIT

Last time I got a good driver and he gave me his card...Picked me up at my house to airport 600bht..,,

very fair fare compared to the taxi louts at the end of my street wanting 900 or more for trip to airport...

will use the buissness card taxi guy again for sure...