3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

In researching the possibility of having transparent window visors (to reduce that huge blind spot with the A pillar), I came across this model which seems transparent.

http://nat-autotech.blogspot.com/2010/07/mitsubishi-pajero-sport-window-visor.html

Anybody got any experience with it or any transparent visor? For reminder, the OEM visors fitted on my PJS are jet black and totally opaque...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In researching the possibility of having transparent window visors (to reduce that huge blind spot with the A pillar), I came across this model which seems transparent.

http://nat-autotech....ndow-visor.html

Anybody got any experience with it or any transparent visor? For reminder, the OEM visors fitted on my PJS are jet black and totally opaque...

I had the weather shields on my previous car but ommitted them on my PJS. I still don't see what real purpose they serve and certainly don't miss them on my current car, so maybe it is easier just to remove them?

• 4 weeks later...

Another long drive last week-end, to the beautiful Kanchanaburi province and Kwai River bridge. The road was more peaceful, with less crazy motorists, although the long winding road from Kanchanaburi to Erawan falls is winding and difficult during the day, and absolutely to avoid at night (no lighting, poor visibility on oncoming traffic, and crazy drivers as everywhere else).

The car has now over 3.000 kms on record, and still acts perfectly normally, except the steering seems to have become more flimsy (almost feels now like the Fiesta at times, but I wonder if that's just my feeling!). I wonder if that is an issue with the power steering... On the other hand, a serious issue with the turbo lag just at 60 Km/h. Very difficult to kick the motor into accelerating above that speed. sad.png Excruciating when you are trying to take over a truck and the cars behind are zooming past...

Maybe a question of programming of the gearbox as most of the time, in city I don't drive above 60 km/h?

The other weird thing is that now, I have been stopped twice in as many weeks for alcohol tests in the Silom area at night. Obviously, as I had no alcohol whatsoever in my blood, was always let go with a polite salute.

My car got its first wound.... Just in front of my condo! A little car tried to whisk past me on the right while I was preparing to turn left to enter the condo... And gave me a little scratch/dent of about 10 cm on the back right wing (of course, it sped away). I am very annoyed at this esthetic point and wondering how to iron it out. It seems just the paint is slightly caved in on a small line which is almost invisible (would pass for a simple dirt line if you don't look closer). Is it worth getting the insurance in play at this point? How to iron it out?

I have also been to Malaysia for three days... And I was surprised to see only one PJS during my stay. In the matters of cars, Malaysians do not seem to favour a lot big SUV's, and even Fortuners were there in reduced numbers (two or three). Small, ugly Malaysian protons or Chinese cars are in number, however, with a couple of pickups here or there.

About your small dent....depends where is it and how deep...sometimes if you lucky,you can fix it like this...

Was he using freon to stray on that heated surface? It's still available?

Five months of ownership have come by and gone now. Time for another ownership report on the PJS. On the bad side, someone managed to give me another scratch on the front left mudguard. And this was while having it parked at my condo. It really irritates me, all the more as I take so much precautions to drive safely... Will thus need to get the repair done.

Since my last post, I got my white plates at last, just before new year. We have now a normal white plate and should be pretty quiet on trips to the province.

Talking about which, I have been on one great trip of 1.200 kms in Northern Thailand, from BKK to Mae Sot via Lom Sak. The first leg of the trip took place in the evening,with a roadtrip from BKK to Lom Sak, in order for us to be able to enjoy what is described as a scenic route from Lom Sak to Phitsanulok.

On the mechanical side, everything went perfectly over this trip, which is probably one of the most demanding ever made on the PJS. The routes I made were mostly mountainous winding roads with either steep climbs (I have to say that the PJS did an excellent job of pulling us up!) or very sharp curves in descent. So far, everything went perfectly alright and the car has functioned without a glitch. Once again, a close call during my night drive to Phitsanulok, with a truck suddenly slowing down (and indicating right) on a two-lane road... and a pickup comes blazing on the right lane. This time, again, the brakes of the PJS proved their efficiency.

The points where some comments could be validly be made: well, during our trip, we had again multiple occasion to witness thai madness on roads. The road between Tak and Mae Sot is a winding moutain road, which is shared by cars and trucks... During the day, it is painful enough to drive through, but we were unfortunate to arrive there in the evening at dark... And so began an infernal mix of climbs and descents, with at times 18-wheelers breathing down our neck over neck-breaking descents at almost 80 km/h, pickups and minibuses overtaking in blind corners at daredevil speeds...

Mechanically, where i had sometimes a little bit of a difficulty was with the mechanic braking: the engines does rev higher whenever it feels that you are in a descent and you are going faster than the current gear (a bit annoying, especially when after negotiating a sharp curve, you get into a straight line in descent and wish to gain some speed without accelerating, and the engine starts to further slow down the car... Remedy: just tap gently the gas pedal.

The other road trip we took was a stint on the "death highway", the famous highway binding Mae Sot to Umphang... We did not have the guts (or rather the time) to cover all the 160 kms... So we just made a little 40 kms on it, to visit falls in the region and have a feel of the reputation of that highway. If we were impressed by the road from Phitsanulok to Mae Sot, this one highway made us really cringe with its hairpin curves, steep climbs and tightness (and obviously, trucks do use this highway as well!). Maybe a trip to do the next time...

On the way back to BKK, driving was a normal road... Less agitated than the road to Hua Hin.

The second (very!) long trip was to Khao Sok national park. Leaving in the afternoon, around 13h, we arrived there around 23h. Along the road, we saw at least two accidents! The first happened in front of us... A bike hit into a bahtbus at a more or less reasonable speed, passengers got projected over the front of the bike... The second was an overturned pickup. On the way back, even more accidents (truck overturned in the central divider).

While within Khao Sok, the highway 401 is a great scenic route, the highway 41 is a real nightmare to drive through. Badly damaged portions of the highway introduce a serious risk for losing control of the car. All the more as we had an episode of stormy rain along the way. On the going way, we had both experiences of very courteous truck drivers, and one, in particular, who was behaving a bit like in "Duel", Steven Spielberg's movie... He let me overtake him, then, as traffic slowed down, came breathing down on my neck, until we let him past... And thereafter started moving back to the right lane each time I wanted to overtake him again.

While driving through Surat Thani, I had the experience of driving through very heavy rain... At the point that my maximum speed came down to 50 km/h under this weather. Aquaplanning was a serious risk, especially on the left side of the road, terribly damaged by trucks. In any case, always felt secure in the PJS.

On the return trip, we drove a neck-breaking 800 kms at once a second time. A very strenous and tiring drive to be honest... fraught with risks, such as trucks, etc. However, the PJS did a very good job, keeping its speed, having excellent brakes and bringing us all safely back. The particularly painful one is having to deal with those idiots who put blinding white lights on their cars and which glare all over you through the rearview mirror, or are generously dispensed by oncoming traffic.

The lovely part is that the PJS is a favourite of my wife who finds its cargo bay very practical for changing the baby's diapers (and our baby always falls asleep so easily in her baby seat!).

On other remarks, I finally went to Srinakarin road service center for the 10.000 kms service. There again, they refused to swap my wheels (saying it had to be done at around 20.000 kms and not before!). Wow, what a difference in the order of magnitude with the first service center that pretended it had to be done every 2.000 kms... I guess I better ask Mitsu's headquarters what is the right interval. Nevertheless, both facilities and kindness were much better than at Suk. 71.

just did a test drive of the diesel 2wd version. coming from a sedan, I found the engine response quite slow, also due to the turbo lag I guess. have tried in order: fortuner, crv, xv, yeti and finally pjs. went to the dealer on sukhumvit road, after soi 71. they have about 50 available so no wait. all in all a good buy. still undecided though...

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

just did a test drive of the diesel 2wd version. coming from a sedan, I found the engine response quite slow, also due to the turbo lag I guess. have tried in order: fortuner, crv, xv, yeti and finally pjs. went to the dealer on sukhumvit road, after soi 71. they have about 50 available so no wait. all in all a good buy. still undecided though...

what did you think of the xv and yeti? how do they rank up against the others?

also the prices please for yeti and xv :)

Well, both xv and yeti are great rides. The first has less immediate power but has a proven 4x4 drivetrain. More sedan than suv. The yeti on the other hand is more fun to drive, safer with the 7 airbags and more space in the back. Modular seats. Prices are 1.35 Mb for the xv and 1.6 Mb for the yeti (but I got as far as 1.4). Pjs is just 1.2 Mb for the gt model 2wd. Both yeti and xv have limited dealer network, unfortunately, otherwise I would have chosen one of them

I would add that the competence of the Mitsu service centers can be very variable... And some don't even have the palest idea of what to do. A colleague who also has a Mitsu (Lancer) was unsatisfied of the service today. So I guess my experience is not isolated. Fortunately, the cars are strongly built and so far without issues.

I also have a PJS though a bit older and less km. What you are calling turbo lag is not I believe actually correct. The engine management system tries to minimise emissions so will not actually give bulk fuel when you jump on the go pedal at low engine rpm's. I have a power up module connected and when I hit the go pedal it happens very quickly. When I have to take it in for a service I remove this module to maintain warranty, the difference in accelration from a slow speed is very noticeable and a definite lag is apparent when not using the module. From my undestanding the turbo only starts to spool up from about 1000rpm on, and the turbo only provides extra air, not fuel.

Jumping on the go pedal at low speeds to get out of the way of Somchai in his Isuzu vegetable trafficker special I notice a bit of black smoke using the power up module, but rapid acceleration. Without the module I have a horrible feeling of please accelerate during the lag, and no black smoke. I get around 10km /l as an average with mostly country running using the module, but feel a lot happier that I can get away from trouble if needed. A lot of drivers jump on the brakes when things go pear shaped, about 70% of the time I accelerate hard to get away as I believe that is the better option. I probably have a bit faster style of driving than the OP, but have been driving for approx 40 years, and I do not generally have junior passengers.

From the OP's posts I feel he will be reluctant to modify the PJS. But my experience tells me it is a better way to go. Up to you.

For the record, bought from Chaeng Wattana and has been serviced there. But this wil probably change as I felt the last service was expensive.

Cheers

you might be right about the lag, just that the last diesel I owned had no lag whatsoever, another fun car that will never be imported in LOS by the way, a Fiat Multipla, ugly but able!

about "tuning" the car by tricking the common rail pump to raise pressure is just a time bomb IMHO.

I also have a PJS though a bit older and less km. What you are calling turbo lag is not I believe actually correct. The engine management system tries to minimise emissions so will not actually give bulk fuel when you jump on the go pedal at low engine rpm's. I have a power up module connected and when I hit the go pedal it happens very quickly. When I have to take it in for a service I remove this module to maintain warranty, the difference in accelration from a slow speed is very noticeable and a definite lag is apparent when not using the module. From my undestanding the turbo only starts to spool up from about 1000rpm on, and the turbo only provides extra air, not fuel.

Jumping on the go pedal at low speeds to get out of the way of Somchai in his Isuzu vegetable trafficker special I notice a bit of black smoke using the power up module, but rapid acceleration. Without the module I have a horrible feeling of please accelerate during the lag, and no black smoke. I get around 10km /l as an average with mostly country running using the module, but feel a lot happier that I can get away from trouble if needed. A lot of drivers jump on the brakes when things go pear shaped, about 70% of the time I accelerate hard to get away as I believe that is the better option. I probably have a bit faster style of driving than the OP, but have been driving for approx 40 years, and I do not generally have junior passengers.

From the OP's posts I feel he will be reluctant to modify the PJS. But my experience tells me it is a better way to go. Up to you.

For the record, bought from Chaeng Wattana and has been serviced there. But this wil probably change as I felt the last service was expensive.

Cheers

Correct, I am not looking to modify the car and change the engine stress factors, just to have a quicker response. I must live with its limitations, and the interesting thing is the need to replace brute force with planing and skills.

My car seldom reaches above 2.500 rpm at speed, so I do not really feel the need for extra power.

It is also true that I drive pretty conservatively, but I have learned that sometimes, accelerating your way out of trouble is the way to go. Just need to appreciate everything in a fraction of a second, and I try to avoid abrupt changes of speed or sudden braking when that is possible.

Here is a pic of one of the accidents witnessed...

post-156158-0-29391600-1359709260_thumb.

Cheers

I'm getting a new 2x4 diesel and would be interested in more details on this power module you have. Where can I get one and how much do they cost? I assume from your description that it can be enabled with the touch of a button? I like the idea of being able to remove it for servicing to keep the warranty intact. How hard is it to install and remove?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Edited by Jayman

Well, after all, the "Elephant" will be born with one day advance! As my saleslady is celebrating her daughter's graduation on Saturday, she asked me if she could postpone or advance the delivery... So, will be having all that done tomorrow.

I armed myself with the long checklist (see one of my previous posts), and will be doing the exam pre-delivery... Tomorrow, they told me they are doing the rust protection and the coating + installing all the options (mats, rear camera, etc).

Without questioning their honesty, I am a bit worried that they might skip the process if they are afraid not to deliver the car in time...

But let's be positive! More news tomorrow.

I hear 'ya!

Though I wish I had that ceck-list a few weeks ago when I went to pickup my new car, in all actuality, it was a smooth process and all was in order as it usually is - you seem to have a nice rapport with your salesperson plus these guys have been doing prep work for thousands of cars - so I wouldn't overly worry if I were you, but verification never hurts.

Good luck!

Trust but verify?

"so I wouldn't overly worry if I were you, but verification never hurts."

I'd like to think anything overlooked upon delivery other than scratches would be handled by the cars warranty.

Is that the case?

When l am on my own l smoke in the motor with the window open. BUT, yes you can smell the fag. Soooooooooooo she doesn't moan l put the aircon on recycle, no air from outside, spray some house hold air freshener in side and leave for a few minutes with engine idling. Job done, no smell. thumbsup.gif

Well, that's just what they did. Sprayed some air freshener... And took away the low-quality plastic stinking mats. We'll see if that solves durably the problem. They are now hitting me with a 2.700 THB price tag for replacement mats for Pajero (look a bit like those MRO posted some times ago).

In a very thai manner, they assured nobody of the dealership smoked in the car... Then, as I suggested it might be the option mounters... "Maybe"... LOL

One thing is delaying: the English owner manual. Pushed back by one week again. The dealer was suggesting me to go to Chonburi, Pattaya or Hua Hin to request it from one of the local dealers.... w00t.gif

My PJS had a pretty unpleasant smell to it when new as well but I don't think that it was actually cigarettes. Maybe the rubber mats or something from the manufacturing or delivery process. Whatever it was it went away after some time with a bit of air freshener, and the usual cycle of time, mileage, and cleanings.

I think that that was a "new" car smell and not a cigar...my new Ranger smelled very strongly first few days,but now is better already.

I've always thought the "New" car smell was supposed to be a good one.

Well, that's just what they did. Sprayed some air freshener... And took away the low-quality plastic stinking mats. We'll see if that solves durably the problem. They are now hitting me with a 2.700 THB price tag for replacement mats for Pajero (look a bit like those MRO posted some times ago).

In a very thai manner, they assured nobody of the dealership smoked in the car... Then, as I suggested it might be the option mounters... "Maybe"... LOL

One thing is delaying: the English owner manual. Pushed back by one week again. The dealer was suggesting me to go to Chonburi, Pattaya or Hua Hin to request it from one of the local dealers.... w00t.gif

My PJS had a pretty unpleasant smell to it when new as well but I don't think that it was actually cigarettes. Maybe the rubber mats or something from the manufacturing or delivery process. Whatever it was it went away after some time with a bit of air freshener, and the usual cycle of time, mileage, and cleanings.

I think that that was a "new" car smell and not a cigar...my new Ranger smelled very strongly first few days,but now is better already.

I've always thought the "New" car smell was supposed to be a good one.

...and after 6 months or so,I miss that 'new' car smell...it's time for some 'new car smell' deodorants....smile.png ...or 'the cool wave' biggrin.png

Well, no "new car" smell here... It was tobacco before. Now, I just get it detailed every time, but my hair always stinks of smoke each time I climb in that car. :( Sufficient to take away my recommendation on Suk. 71 dealership and service center. A colleague of mine (thai) who tried to get his lancer fixed there was also disgusted by their service...

40% windscreen and 60 %. Sides is very dark you will really have problems at night

Drove very long distances at night and so far no issue. It is true that the tint is not all that dark. What really causes an issue for me is rather the modified lights glaring at me from oncoming traffic.

Cheers

I'm getting a new 2x4 diesel and would be interested in more details on this power module you have. Where can I get one and how much do they cost? I assume from your description that it can be enabled with the touch of a button? I like the idea of being able to remove it for servicing to keep the warranty intact. How hard is it to install and remove?

Sent from my GT-I9100T

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/302656-Cheap-Diesel-Performance#entry3045813

Cheap Diesel Performance

Lots of info here

Edit: ah you got there already and read it all but I'll leave the link for others

Edited by 2unique

40% windscreen and 60 %. Sides is very dark you will really have problems at night

Drove very long distances at night and so far no issue. It is true that the tint is not all that dark. What really causes an issue for me is rather the modified lights glaring at me from oncoming traffic.

Likewise I have 40/60 in my PJS and find no issues with night driving.I have the standard 3M film so not sure if there are differences in the type/brand of fim.

Interestingly I initially also had 40/60 on our Focus and in that car the perception was that it seemed too dark and we later changed it to 40 all round. Maybe it was the smaller interior space, or the combination with the dark interior, or quite possibly just the wife's driving!!

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100T

I had to do a bit of research. It looks like the company (Speedkit) I bought mine from is no longer in the business, at least their website seems to have disappeared. Bit of a shame as the guy who started it out was actually running a bar of 2nd road in Pattaya and I could get parts and advice as required. The Speedkit module had the option of an on/off wireless control which is what I have, cannot seem to see the same on the Racechip which is the popular one and actually sold in Thailand (google Racechip Thailand and contact details on Facebook).

Pretty sure there are details on where to procure the Racechip units in the thread on diesel performance. Fitting the wiring is a bit fiddly as connection is at the rear of the engine block. I had a few practice runs with how the connecters work using the "T" installation cable to see how to unclip the connector, and can now have the unit out in about 5 minutes, install a bit longer due to ensuring cables are correctly routed.

Cheers

Thanks guys for the info.. I think I found a used racechip locally and will install it after my 1000Km is hit. I got the Lamina 60/40 and find it just find. I was told Lamina is better than 3M and I had a choice of either. So far, I'm quite pleased with the card.

The one thing I'm unclear on is the Alpine stereo that comes with the 2013 PJS 2.5GT has bluetooth. The sales guy told me over and over it has bluetooth and I see the bluetooth option on the touch screen. But when I hit it it says I have to plug in a mike. I did this at the sales room and the sales guy said I need to buy the mike from 3rd party. I don't even see where to plug the mike in. Seems quite odd that there is BT module but no mike..? Does anyone know about this and how to get the BT working and where to buy and Mike in Patttaya nd how much? Seems like just a mike would be cheap no?

The Pajero Sport is an excellent choice. In addition to the goodies already mentioned, the auto gear box is a dream. Straight auto, push pull manual or the flappy paddle manual option. Add to that the cruise control and you have a great package for a smooth journey.

I'm disappointed with the Alpine equipment and the supposed screen options. Why supply an audio unit that doesn't have an iPod connection? The dealership told us that the GPS option was no good and we should use a separate GPS. Considering all the care that has gone into kitting out the Pajero, it's disappointing that they didn't get this bit right.