Most Eco/Fuel-Efficient Compact Car

chiko930

I am trying to find out what the most fuel-efficient car is for an animal charity. I will be applying for a grant of up to 15,000 dollars so the initial cost hopefully will not be a problem but with the price of petrol/gasoline being so high, it needs to be very economic to run. It also needs to be a hatchback as we are planning on ripping the back seats out so we can fit cage(s) in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you know how many miles to the litre the car would make, that would also be a great help. Thanks.

Why not just get a pickup which runs on diesel? Seems to me as a more efficient car for the use you require. Any 2-wheel pickup will be much better in terms of running cost.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

i agree you on this. with the present cost of diesel the running costs are about the same and the purchase cast is on par as well.

Why not just get a pickup which runs on diesel? Seems to me as a more efficient car for the use you require. Any 2-wheel pickup will be much better in terms of running cost.

Depending on distance would a pickup not be far to hot for caged animals ?

Notice a number of pet store owner have the Nissan NV, small Estate, no idea on fuel consumption but a 2006 model is well within budget. [Notice they take the glass out of the Queencab so the rear get air con]

As a hatch but small but good fuel consumption Nissan March within budget for a year old one.

Edited by ignis

Depending on distance would a pickup not be far to hot for caged animals ?

Notice a number of pet store owner have the Nissan NV, small Estate, no idea on fuel consumption but a 2006 model is well within budget. [Notice they take the glass out of the Queencab so the rear get air con]

As a hatch but small but good fuel consumption Nissan March within budget for a year old one.

Re. the heat for caged animals, just need to buy an aftermarket carryboy and install an autonomous aircon unit for the carryboy. All summed up, and considering the use and need for possibly transporting more than one animal at the time, a pickup would fit the bill. It would also come cheaper with regards to maintenance and solidity and tolerance to abuse. Here, at Thonglor Pet Hospital, they use Toyota Avanza or Suzuki APV as pet taxis. Those may also fit your bill, but I don't think they are economical on gas (10-13l/100 km for Avanza). Otherwise, within a small distance of your initial budget, there is the Isuzu Spark. Or a 2WD Vigo...

Re. the heat for caged animals, just need to buy an aftermarket carryboy and install an autonomous aircon unit for the carryboy.

Yes but look at the funds available for said vehicle....... deduct the carryboy and aircon unit, the Isuzu would need to be 12 years old..

The Tata Xenon, CNG running cost would be cheaper........with carryboy and aircon unit, they would be looking at a 2011 model [the gas tanks are under the bed so no space lost behind] there again depend where they are and if they can get CNG

You can buy second hand the APV with LPG or CNG already fitted about a 2007-8 model for the budget.

or the Chevy Optra Estate with CNG 2006-7 model for the budget.

Asked for "very economic" .... Diesel @ around 30 baht -V- CNG around 10 baht

​So a Isuzu Diesel about 11 km per lt or the Nissan March 20 km per lt and 10 year newer. or something in-between on LPG/CNG

Guess motorbike with side cart would be most economic

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies :)

We are also considering a pickup but the one we borrow at the moment uses up too much fuel. A 200km journey to the vets for example costs around 1400 baht. If a nissan march would only cost 300 baht then we would save loads but a pick up would be ideal. We have a motorbike now but the regular 200km trips up and down winding mountain roads would take too long and be too dangerous to go by bike with a sidecar so we really need a car.

I was hoping to buy a new car as I have heard it is not safe to buy a used car in Thailand as there are no required services or MOTs here. As I don't know much about cars, would it be a better idea to buy a smaller new car?

Thanks for the replies smile.png

We are also considering a pickup but the one we borrow at the moment uses up too much fuel. A 200km journey to the vets for example costs around 1400 baht. If a nissan march would only cost 300 baht then we would save loads but a pick up would be ideal. We have a motorbike now but the regular 200km trips up and down winding mountain roads would take too long and be too dangerous to go by bike with a sidecar so we really need a car.

I was hoping to buy a new car as I have heard it is not safe to buy a used car in Thailand as there are no required services or MOTs here. As I don't know much about cars, would it be a better idea to buy a smaller new car?

Actually, try a brand new Isuzu... Well-driven, it can do a 13 L/100 K... At a cost of 30 THB/L for gasoil (diesel), that puts your cost at 780 THB for the distance you quote. Maybe you should reason also in terms of saving over the long term: Isuzu is very well known for its reliability and toughness + also its economy on gas.

If the March is big enough to suit the charitiy's needs it certainly is economical. I have had mine for two years and it has never missed a beat. With me driving it I get an average of 18km/l in and around Chiang Mai. I am no racing car driver, but I don't dawdle around either.

On a highway trip averaging around 90km/h I can easily get 20/21 km/l and I was impressed recently with a trip from Chiang Mai to Pai, with all its hills and bends, where I still averaged over 17km/l overall - and that was with a full load of three adults and two younger kids (about300 Kg in total). I was also impressed how easily it handled the hills with such a load - really no bother at all; I guess 80hp is plenty for this little car...

If it suits you it certainly is economical!

Actually, try a brand new Isuzu... Well-driven, it can do a 13 L/100 K... At a cost of 30 THB/L for gasoil (diesel), that puts your cost at 780 THB for the distance you quote. Maybe you should reason also in terms of saving over the long term: Isuzu is very well known for its reliability and toughness + also its economy on gas.

Is there a price list online for them anywhere? There website is shocking - and no price list from what I can see.

You may find a current price list here: http://www.isuzuclub.com/price.php

As to the official site, you should go here: http://www.allnewisuzud-max.com/calculate/

And choose the model you want. I guess the Spark is sufficient for you. You may even go second-hand with less risks with an Isuzu (provided they have the service manual).

Look at this one, for example: http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_D-MAX/L15540167

BTW, my bad for the mileage: it is (officially) 7-9 L/100 (better than what I quoted).

Thanks for the replies :)

You could easily get a pickup for the money mentioned. Also 200km for 1400b. Wow.

My Ford Ranger does about 600km for that much. You can buy it of me if you want. 2004 4 door with carryboy top. 250.000b

Also rather than fitting aircon in the back just fit a sliding back window and use the cab air.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

my b.i.l.has a toyota avanza does a lot of picking up tourists and trans,so the back is usually full of people or fold down the back seats so you can get plenty of luggage in, so ideal for carring a cage

my b.i.l.has a toyota avanza does a lot of picking up tourists and trans,so the back is usually full of people or fold down the back seats so you can get plenty of luggage in, so ideal for carring a cage

I quoted that before... They use at at Thonglor Pet Hospital as well. But the Avanza is underpowered for its bulk and has a gasoline motor, thus more costly to run for the OP.

Even the very cheapest base model + canopy is way over budget. the OP clearly states the max budget..

Thanks for the replies smile.png

Not much can go wrong with near new 2nd hand, Ex Demo model, people that cannot pay the monthly payment etc, appear to be many For Sale, you often see adverts of take over payments...

My concern on buying new base model = most have No Airbags or ABS, for the same price you can get a year old top of the range with all the safety features

Even the very cheapest base model + canopy is way over budget. the OP clearly states the max budget..

Which is about 470000b

What about a Suzuki carry with Cng. All up would come in about that price or less.http://www.suzuki.co.th/webpage/carry/index.html

Or the Tata Ace

http://ace.tatamotors.com/superace_feature.php

Diesel and cheap ( can convert to CNG) . Again even with a canopy will come in well under the money.

Suzuki 2nd hand.

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/TbRst3.aspx#mk:36+md:573

Edited by thaicbr

Which is about 470000b

For what ?

Cheapest D-Max single cab on there web site = 508,000 + 32,000 for canopy

Diesel and cheap ( can convert to CNG)

Diesel with CNG don't work, just ask Chevy

Edited by ignis

Sorry I meant that it is 1400 Baht for a round trip so the pick up we currently borrow does around 200km for 700 baht. We would like to reduce this as much as possible and would love a 4x4 as it rains a lot here and it's hard to get to some emergencies (though anything would be better than our motorbike!) but we need to keep the running costs low which is why the march may be a good option.

A CNG triton sounds perfect! 1baht per km?? Wow. Do you know how much this would cost? I can't seem to find any info of this car in thailand. I was looking for under 15,000 dollars (around 50,000 baht) but I guess I could look for a larger grant and hope for the best.

The suzuki carry and tata look good too, someone PM'd me and said that his CNG one did 2baht per km. What is the difference between the suzuki and carry? They look identical. And why is this so cheap to run compared to a pick up? Is it because they aren't 4x4? My only concern would be muddy/steep/winding roads....

Sorry I meant that it is 1400 Baht for a round trip so the pick up we currently borrow does around 200km for 700 baht. We would like to reduce this as much as possible and would love a 4x4 as it rains a lot here and it's hard to get to some emergencies (though anything would be better than our motorbike!) but we need to keep the running costs low which is why the march may be a good option.

A CNG triton sounds perfect! 1baht per km?? Wow. Do you know how much this would cost? I can't seem to find any info of this car in thailand. I was looking for under 15,000 dollars (around 50,000 baht) but I guess I could look for a larger grant and hope for the best.

The suzuki carry and tata look good too, someone PM'd me and said that his CNG one did 2baht per km. What is the difference between the suzuki and carry? They look identical. And why is this so cheap to run compared to a pick up? Is it because they aren't 4x4? My only concern would be muddy/steep/winding roads....

Op. I think you are looking at it in the wrong way. You should list what you want the vehicle to do.

Then check availability of fuel. Cng. Lpg etc

Then check the cost of the cheapest rear wheel drive truck ( suzuki carry) Lpg or Cng conversion. Canopy top ( either fiberglass or alloy)

Extra wheels with Rally/ mud tyres for the rainy season.

Most rear wheel trucks can handle mud etc as long as you have the correct tyres and driving. technique. Other wise its going to be 4x4. Rules the eco cars out :D

Also I would check with Izuzu. Ford.Mazda and Chevolet if they have any of the OLD model trucks left in stock ( they all have new models this year) . They may do you an excellent deal. Especially if you are a charity.

good luck.

Edited by thaicbr

I was looking for under 15,000 dollars (around 50,000 baht)

Hope this is a typing error ? your find nothing for 50,000 baht..

Have a look at DFM or Sokon

Both are Mini Vans

1.3 cc engine and fitted with LPG or NGV Brand New cost around 350,000 baht, lots on the road.

You don;t get out much. Al most all of the big Diesel truck in Thailand run on CNG

CNG/diesel mix,about 30%-70%....not just CNG...or am I wrong?smile.png

You do realize that with your budget, you will NOT get a 4X4? In general, among pickups, the 4x4 are always the top of the range ones and the cheapest would easily be double your budget. I would say go for a second-hand Isuzu if you feel you absolutely need a 4WD. I am also a bit astonished how you could consider using a small eco-car, if you feel that a normal pickup (double the weight!) won't make it by those areas?

You don;t get out much. Al most all of the big Diesel truck in Thailand run on CNG

Yes but a great cost to these big Truck Companies, the engines had to be modified..

Lots of the Companies had the engines blow up before they became aware that big modification had to be made.. some went out of Business, others had 1/2 there fleet off the road.

The only small truck to be made Diesel with CNG was the Chevy l2008, and a modified engine, it did not work some lasted days others a few weeks, cost Chevy Thailand a lot of money and red faces, they had to replace all the new pickups with brand new Diesel ones... Chevy near to where I live about 2 years ago had 11 lined up outside 9 were still on red plates and dead/blown up engines.

You do realize that with your budget, you will NOT get a 4X4? In general, among pickups, the 4x4 are always the top of the range ones and the cheapest would easily be double your budget. I would say go for a second-hand Isuzu if you feel you absolutely need a 4WD. I am also a bit astonished how you could consider using a small eco-car, if you feel that a normal pickup (double the weight!) won't make it by those areas?

Sorry for not being clear. I'm trying to decide what is best. At the moment we don't have a budget because we don't have any money but I'm going to be applying for a grant, the aveage one being around 15,000 dollars. I may be able to apply for a higher one if there is good enough reason and I can show how much more beneficial and economical it would be. Initially I thought a small eco car would be ok as we could use it to catch 2-3 dogs in town, go on emergencies (something that we currently do on a motorbike which is not practical at all) and we would have a reliable and cheaper way to make the 3-4 hour trip to the vets (on good but winding roads). A 4x4 would be better for getting more animals in one go and those further away from town but I didn't think it would be economical. Then someone mentioned the Triton which runs on 1 baht a minute which would be more economical than even the compact cars I have seen! I am just trying to figure out what is the best option/compromise for the sanctuary at the moment and in the future when it expands.

Can anyone tell me how much a triton would cost?