Downtown ‘Death Hotel’ Dies In 4 Minute Video

george

Yeah it was pretty cool but I agree........ 1 month? Wow what a costly demolition. I was gonna say back home it would have just taked a few hours inside of an 8 hour shift.

I am sure it cost a heck of a lot less to do the demolition and clean up this way here.

But at what cost to the neighbouring residences in terms of dust (some of it toxic) settling in neighbours houses where children play for a whole month. Guess to some people cost is more important than safety. Especially in this part of the world.

Surely you are joking ...

Absent in the above videos as can be seen below is the use of water hoses to reduce dust...

But hey, lets not make that stop us from helping our own deflated egos and taking what is simply an interesting video of the demolition of an infamous hotel and make it an issue about how Thais are less superior than others.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who said anything about Thais being less superior than others? You're obsessed!

I guess I should just refer you to the comments in the quoted post you are responding but I will make it more simple and provided some actual sentences in the quotes including one from you.

Wow what a costly demolition. I was gonna say
back home it would have just taked a few hours inside of an 8 hour shift

But at what cost to the neighbouring residences in terms of dust (some of it toxic) settling in neighbours
houses where children play for a whole month.
Guess to some people cost is more important than safety. Especially in this part of the world.

Not only are both comments alluding to others being more superior but both comments are incorrect when taken in context. An implosion will create the same if not more dust and it takes many weeks of both planning and clean up efforts as opposed to a few hours. Not to mention the baseless claim of their being toxic dust in a gutted concrete building.

Maybe I am obsessed but it may also be that these types of superior non-relevant and baseless comments have become such the norm that they can't even be identified anymore even by the person that posted them.

Edited by Nisa

Regarding dust and implosive demolition versus conventional.

When the excitement of the blast is over, a large, billowing cloud of dust is one of the most identifiable characteristics of a successful project.

DID YOU KNOW that according to most experts, that dust cloud actually makes explosive demolition more neighbor-friendly than a conventional demolition project?

Think about it: When buildings are brought down conventionally (by wrecking ball and other heavy equipment), they release dust particles into the air every day—in every direction—for several consecutive months. Using the explosive demolition method, these dust particles are released at one predefined time, in one direction. This gives neighboring businesses, as well as local residents with existing health problems, a way to avoid or prepare for the dust with minimal inconvenience. The result is a safer project all the way around; fewer man-hours spent in a dangerous, unstable building, and less public exposure to the inevitable by-product of any demolition job—dust.

Implosion World

Quite entertaining video. There are much faster ways to bring down a building nowadays. Would it really be that much cheaper the way they did it ? I wonder if somebody could come up with some decent figures here to prove otherwise.

Regarding dust and implosive demolition versus conventional.

When the excitement of the blast is over, a large, billowing cloud of dust is one of the most identifiable characteristics of a successful project.

DID YOU KNOW that according to most experts, that dust cloud actually makes explosive demolition more neighbor-friendly than a conventional demolition project?

Think about it: When buildings are brought down conventionally (by wrecking ball and other heavy equipment), they release dust particles into the air every day—in every direction—for several consecutive months. Using the explosive demolition method, these dust particles are released at one predefined time, in one direction. This gives neighboring businesses, as well as local residents with existing health problems, a way to avoid or prepare for the dust with minimal inconvenience. The result is a safer project all the way around; fewer man-hours spent in a dangerous, unstable building, and less public exposure to the inevitable by-product of any demolition job—dust.

Implosion World

It really is six of one or 1/2 dozen of another. Experts (outside the implosion proponents) will also tell you that with all things considered there is really no difference. The bottom line is that concrete dust doesn't pose any significant health risk to the average person unless in big quantities and even when you look at videos of implosions there are many that show the crowds of people watching being engulfed by the huge wall of dust. Yes, an implosion will allow those in the area to leave but when they come back there will be thick layers of dust on everything that will remain until the next big rain or the winds finally carry it away. Same Same. The method used to destroy the Downtown Inn and other manual forms of demolition are still a much more common form of demolition around the world than explosives.

Edit: It should also be noted that this wasn't a wrecking ball demolition but one using more modern hydraulic shears.

Edited by Nisa

Quite entertaining video. There are much faster ways to bring down a building nowadays. Would it really be that much cheaper the way they did it ? I wonder if somebody could come up with some decent figures here to prove otherwise.

While a controlled implosion is the method that the general public often thinks of when discussing demolition due to its spectacularity, it can be dangerous and is only used as a last resort when other methods are impractical or too costly.

I guess I should just refer you to the comments in the quoted post you are responding but I will make it more simple and provided some actual sentences in the quotes including one from you.

But at what cost to the neighbouring residences in terms of dust (some of it toxic) settling in neighbours
Guess to some people cost is more important than safety. Especially in this part of the world.

Not only are both comments alluding to others being more superior but both comments are incorrect when taken in context. An implosion will create the same if not more dust and it takes many weeks of both planning and clean up efforts as opposed to a few hours. Not to mention the baseless claim of their being toxic dust in a gutted concrete building.

Maybe I am obsessed but it may also be that these types of superior non-relevant and baseless comments have become such the norm that they can't even be identified anymore even by the person that posted them.

Well at least you admit are obsessed. And I stand by my comment that money is often more important than safety in this part of the world. How many Thai taxis dont have seat belts? Do the majority of Thais pay for child safety seats in their vastly overpriced foreign cars? How many buildings here have fires as a result of not adhering to safety standards to save costs? So while you are right that you are obsessed, sadly you are wrong to suggest that my comment is non-relevant and baseless as I have just proven with multiple examples.

Well at least you admit are obsessed. And I stand by my comment that money is often more important than safety in this part of the world. How many Thai taxis dont have seat belts? Do the majority of Thais pay for child safety seats in their vastly overpriced foreign cars? How many buildings here have fires as a result of not adhering to safety standards to save costs? So while you are right that you are obsessed, sadly you are wrong to suggest that my comment is non-relevant and baseless as I have just proven with multiple examples.

You want to ask me again for examples of some peoples need to promote Thais as less superior on a thread that is simply about an entertaining video of a building being taken down? laugh.png

You want to ask me again for examples of some peoples need to promote Thais as less superior on a thread that is simply about an entertaining video of a building being taken down? laugh.png

No. And once again I have not mentioned anywhere that Thais are less superior so please stop insinuating I did. Sadly you did open the door for me to provide examples of where money is more important than safety in this part of the world when you should have probably kept your mouth shut, but I'll forgive you due to your own admissions of being obsessed with the subject of Thais being inferior.

Never mind all the asbestos dust flying into the wind and to other areas. Why stop the deaths at The Downtown Inn when they can slowly kill many others nearby.

PoodMaiDai is Pooding again (and Thaddeus). Fact - the place had to be demolished and having watched the Youtube video and then watching this one:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK50So-yYRU]

I'm siding with the Thais on this one. The actual demolition looked professional and seemed to contain the bulk of dust and debris within the site compared with the dust clouds shown in the implosion video. And yes I know that it was a time lapse video so may not have shown the true picture but I'm saying which would you choose? how would you have done it better?

Edited by sysardman

Never mind all the asbestos dust flying into the wind and to other areas. Why stop the deaths at The Downtown Inn when they can slowly kill many others nearby.

PoodMaiDai is Pooding again (and Thaddeus). Fact - the place had to be demolished and having watched the Youtube video and then watching this one:

[http://www.youtube.c...?v=sK50So-yYRU]

I'm siding with the Thais on this one. The actual demolition looked professional and seemed to contain the bulk of dust and debris within the site compared with the dust clouds shown in the implosion video. And yes I know that it was a time lapse video so may not have shown the true picture but I'm saying which would you choose? how would you have done it better?

What is interesting to note it is a time lapse video but the footage only appears to contain a couple hours from a couple days of demolition. I suspect it may have taken them a month to finish the job but there was only a week (if that) of actual demolition work.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the video and appreciate it being shared. Just sad that even a video meant to entertain has to end up with people looking for clouds in silver linings.

Edited by Nisa

[

Like they do with similar demolitions in Singapore. By encasing the building in scaffolding and putting a protective cover around the building to minimize any potential dust from blowing straight into the surrounding residential area and demolishing the building from within. Seems that this was not high on the list of priorities in this case as cost was more important that safety. Surprise surprise.

• Like 1

What is interesting to note it is a time lapse video but the footage only appears to contain a couple hours from a couple days of demolition. I suspect it may have taken them a month to finish the job but there was only a week (if that) of actual demolition work.

Regardless, I really enjoyed the video and appreciate it being shared. Just sad that even a video meant to entertain has to end up with people looking for clouds in silver linings.

A suggestion would be to stop being obsessed (your own admission) and you would just enjoy the video like the rest of us. If you look for non existant issues hard enough you will always find them.

Downtown Uptown

It was pretty cool, but Blaster Bates could have actually done it in four minutes.

Yeah, was kinda hoping for that too, not the locust-eating-the-leaf effect... still, interesting to watch.

Living adjacent to that racket and dust for 1 month must have been a day- & night-mare.

No it took several weeks and there was a lot of down time. Four machines on the job and very seldom aaall working at once..

Downtown Uptown

It was pretty cool, but Blaster Bates could have actually done it in four minutes.

Yeah, was kinda hoping for that too, not the locust-eating-the-leaf effect... still, interesting to watch.

Living adjacent to that racket and dust for 1 month must have been a day- & night-mare.

No it took several weeks and there was a lot of down time. Four machines on the job and very seldom aaall working at once..

Sounds heavenly. Anyway, good vid! :)

• Like 1

It is not about money it was just a video that was taped over a two to three week period. There was days when they did not even work.

It is not in a housing area it is in fact about 200 feet away from the night bazaar. One house close to it and I doubt if it got much dust. When you take it down in small bits the dust does not rise up very high. As for the noise well there is two night clubs a couple hundred feet down the road from it that make more and defiantly louder noise. There was a lot more consideration put into tearing it down than most posters here put into their post.

Yes I live close by and could see the whole thing from my open window.

• Like 2

Downtown Uptown

I take it you are there? I got the feeling after watching the video a couple times (really enjoyed it) that they probably could have taken the thing down in a day or two if they were using all the tractors all day. This video doesn't appear to have much more than a few hours (4 to 6?) of actual filming. Amazing how efficient and quickly those shearing machines work on a building like this. I don't see much of any debris hauling though and have to wonder if that was actually more time consuming than the actual taking down of the building.

It is not about money it was just a video that was taped over a two to three week period. There was days when they did not even work.

It is not in a housing area it is in fact about 200 feet away from the night bazaar. One house close to it and I doubt if it got much dust. When you take it down in small bits the dust does not rise up very high. As for the noise well there is two night clubs a couple hundred feet down the road from it that make more and defiantly louder noise. There was a lot more consideration put into tearing it down than most posters here put into their post.

Yes I live close by and could see the whole thing from my open window.

Thanks for sharing.

[

The bulk of dust was contained was it? for an entire month...... you are right on one point though, it's a time lapse video. So the immediate suffering of the surrounding residents, and the long term suffering thereafter has been shortened to a mere 4 minutes, nice, mai pben rai.

Like they do with similar demolitions in Singapore. By encasing the building in scaffolding and putting a protective cover around the building to minimize any potential dust from blowing straight into the surrounding residential area and demolishing the building from within. Seems that this was not high on the list of priorities in this case as cost was more important that safety. Surprise surprise.

Given this story from last week, you might reconsider wanting to emulate Singapore when it comes to demolitions. See: http://www.asiaone.c...802-363038.html wink.png

pic5.jpg

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

The bulk of dust was contained was it? for an entire month...... you are right on one point though, it's a time lapse video. So the immediate suffering of the surrounding residents, and the long term suffering thereafter has been shortened to a mere 4 minutes, nice, mai pben rai.

Have you read @HelloDolly's post - a real eye witness account and no complaints.

Given this story from last week, you might reconsider wanting to emulate Singapore when it comes to demolitions. See: http://www.asiaone.c...802-363038.html wink.png

pic5.jpg

Not at all. In fact you probably couldnt have made a worse and more irrelevant comparison if you tried. That was an accident and not the willful disregard for the immediate environment like in the Chiang Mai building. That really was a desperate attempt, but as a self admitted obsessive I understand why you needed to attempt it. If you see the accompanying pictures in your example you can see the blue cover around the building to protect the neighbouring area from dust that the Thais obviously didnt want to bother investing in for the Downtown demolision. Like I said, its sad that money so often is more important than safety in this part of the world.

Thanks for reinforcing my point with examples and photographs though. Much appreciated.

Yeah it was pretty cool but I agree........ 1 month? Wow what a costly demolition. I was gonna say back home it would have just taked a few hours inside of an 8 hour shift.

I am sure it cost a heck of a lot less to do the demolition and clean up this way here.

But at what cost to the neighbouring residences in terms of dust (some of it toxic) settling in neighbours houses where children play for a whole month. Guess to some people cost is more important than safety. Especially in this part of the world.

True I hope they carefully removed the asbestos prior. The video doesn't show any water spraying to reduce the dust and address health issues to those living around the area.