I Jumped Back Into Equities- Anyone Else?

After buying LANNA, BANPU, HMPRO last week based on their high level of oversold and better than the normal news from EU/ECB/ Merkel I decided to double down today and bought ADVANC, PTTEP, and more LANNA this morning plus 1234:HK and 1836:HK in the Hang Seng. All these stocks are oversold long standing solid growth stocks (ADVANC not as over sold, but i think given the quite positive EU news some big foreign institutional investors will be looking to increase their Thailand equities exposure and ADVANC is normally a common target).

Good to be back- any else jumped in yet?

I was even toying with putting this cash into a 1 year bank account for @3% interest here in Thailand- after seeing similar increases in some of these in a few days , reminds me why i bother with equities in the first place!

1234 look beaten up.

1836 not sure if good value.

PTTEP: overpaid for Cove?

the last one OK a growth play, but the first 2?

Actually its the other way round- the first two are growth stocks (i use set modified set of criteria based on CAN SLIM system- but focused on good EPS) while PTTEP is not (at least according to my criteria). I bought PTTEP because it is extremely oversold because of a) over paying for Cove and b. ) they will issue more stocks end of the year. But im betting that the stock is now under valued and will increase accordingly...

Edited by ExpatJ

1234 look beaten up.

I just noticed this morning that 1234:HK is up almost 7% since I bought yesterday. BANPU up 9% and LANNA up 7.5%, HMPRO 4%- since buying last week. Its nice when things work out (especially after my all time worst loss of 6000 US$ in 24 hours in KBANK last year still in recent memory.

Edited by ExpatJ

A good buying opportunity tomorrow-

ADVANC (AIS) announced good results and an interim dividend of 2.8% with XD date on August 21. Its slightly overbought with an RSI of 57, but i think the dividend play will be worth it- i plan to buy more Tuesday and either a ) sell on Aug 20 to take advantage of the price increase assuming other people buy ADVANC for the dividend OR b ) if there is not a decent price increase hold the stock , get the 2.8% dividend and then hold for days/weeks until the price is back up to at least the purchase price (a good chance given the blue chip nature of stock plus generally rising markets right now).

1234 look beaten up.

I just noticed this morning that 1234:HK is up almost 7% since I bought yesterday. BANPU up 9% and LANNA up 7.5%, HMPRO 4%- since buying last week. Its nice when things work out (especially after my all time worst loss of 6000 US$ in 24 hours in KBANK last year still in recent memory.

I can't argue with that trade even though they (2 top 2) are in sectors (not PTT) I wouldn't hold. However with the bounces you have achieved (well done) I would probably be cashing in. I assume you are not?

1234 look beaten up.

I can't argue with that trade even though they (2 top 2) are in sectors (not PTT) I wouldn't hold. However with the bounces you have achieved (well done) I would probably be cashing in. I assume you are not?

Yes, i sold 1234:HK this morning for 9% return (because its now in overbought territory), considering i bought it 5 working days ago and sold today that's 900 US$ profit after fees- a nice trade. 1836:HK is down 1% and still in oversold territory so i'm holding for now, but i only put a small amount into that since its a low volume stock.

1234 look beaten up.

Yes, i sold 1234:HK this morning for 9% return (because its now in overbought territory), considering i bought it 5 working days ago and sold today that's 900 US$ profit after fees- a nice trade. 1836:HK is down 1% and still in oversold territory so i'm holding for now, but i only put a small amount into that since its a low volume stock.

The other nice thing about this 1234:hk trade- is the stock its self is -35% for the year and basically been going down in 2012, but my technical analysis was spot on and allowed me to buy into the only rally of the stock for months.

To wrap up this thread. After buying banpu and lanna August 1 , I sold them today - banpu was +16% and lanna + 8%. Coupled with the1234:hk trade I made a clear profit of 10,000US$ in 2 weeks, my best trade ever actually.

Side note: after selling 1234:hk two days ago at +9% I see today that it jumped another 5% this morning - annoying!

Yoshiwara

Not at alI infact i have learnt from experience not to get over confident- big mistake in stock trading. I have had big losses ( incl losing 6k$ on kbank last year that I posted about here) and learnt from them.

Do you recommend any longer term good dividend 'blue chip' holds?

Not too many good solid growth stocks that also have good dividends- ALUCON is one @5% but very low volumn stock; SSF another growth stock 4%. ADVANC is 2-3%, and a great growth stock chip.

In the US i have Mcdonalds, JnJ, Shell as my buy and hold stocks- all these have global sales, i avoid US only blue chip dividends like ATT.

Now sold all these thai stocks this morning after buying 2 weeks ago (PTTEP, CPALL, HMPRO (which jumped 5 % today just before i sold , luck smile.png, - total return on my thai stock trades this month is 7.3% after tax/fees.

My ADVANC dividend play - a ) sell on Aug 20 to take advantage of the price increase assuming other people buy ADVANC for the dividend OR b ) if there is not a decent price increase hold the stock , get the 2.8% dividend and then hold for days/weeks until the price is back up to at least the purchase price (a good chance given the blue chip nature of stock plus generally rising markets right now). I ended up going with b ) holding and getting the dividend and today the price is above what i paid, so this play also paying off nicely.

I think the EU turbulence is going to kick in again and markets will begin to fall in coming days, so im mostly cashed out after a very successful August (i was also out of equities most of the year prior to august because of the bear markets)- this has been a text book market timing and technical analysis play for me, very pleased.

Edited by ExpatJ