Double Pricing!

MrZM

I'm sure this has been discussed before!

I asked my wife to go to a gym (I will not disclose the name) and ask for a monthly price. My wife returned with a business card from the gym, with a quote of 1000 baht a month!

This is a gym that repeatedly gave me a price of 2500 baht a month! The gym is not a franchise and there is only the one.

I know they have in there heads us westerners have big money bla bla bla.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i really dont see the big issue. This is widely done and accepted in the usa. Examples state and county parks [golf courses] in florida. Also disney and universal studios just to name a few.

Can you explain what you mean? True, state park or country parks/ beaches may charge an outsider more because they did not contribute to the local tax which supports the park or beach. In Thailand, 25 % of my salary goes to taxes in Thailand but I still have to pay more in their natiional parks. If a Thai or any other nationality goes to purchase a membership at a fitness club in the USA, it will be the same for the "foreigner" as the American. I think we are comparing apples and oranges.

I think in USA it is a resident discount.

There are quit a few "official" places that charge a non Thai person a higher price never mind you have a tax id, work permit, driving license etc.

But also a lot of venues accept for example a driving license to get the "Thai" price.

I agree it is ok to make two pricing for Tourist and locals but it is not ok to make that decision on the race of the visitor.

i really dont see the big issue. This is widely done and accepted in the usa. Examples state and county parks [golf courses] in florida. Also disney and universal studios just to name a few.

Can you explain what you mean? True, state park or country parks/ beaches may charge an outsider more because they did not contribute to the local tax which supports the park or beach. In Thailand, 25 % of my salary goes to taxes in Thailand but I still have to pay more in their natiional parks. If a Thai or any other nationality goes to purchase a membership at a fitness club in the USA, it will be the same for the "foreigner" as the American. I think we are comparing apples and oranges.

Just an example i lived in the florida keys. If i had a id from monroe county my drinks a various bars were discounted. Same at universal in orlando. In this case if i had a state id my price was discounted. These are private companies same as tonys. Nothing wrong with giving discount to certain people to increase your business...I guess one could look at it as charging more to certain people too.

Edited by yankee99

Can you explain what you mean? True, state park or country parks/ beaches may charge an outsider more because they did not contribute to the local tax which supports the park or beach. In Thailand, 25 % of my salary goes to taxes in Thailand but I still have to pay more in their natiional parks.

Not if you show them your work permit you don't. I'm not sure what the deal is with other residence visas, but I've got into most national parks at Thai prices with a work permit, and into Khao Yai with just my Thai driving licence and a bit of banter.

I do hate farang pricing though, and thus tend to avoid places without a written price list unless I have a good idea of the "normal" price beforehand.

• Like 2

Just an example i lived in the florida keys. If i had a id from monroe county my drinks a various bars were discounted. Same at universal in orlando. In this case if i had a state id my price was discounted. These are private companies same as tonys. Nothing wrong with giving discount to certain people to increase your business...I guess one could look at it as charging more to certain people too.

Wish l lived in the Keys. thumbsup.gif

If you are paying Thai Taxes and not getting the Thai price IT'S YOUR FAULT. I show my Thai drivers license or ,on few occasions, my Work permit and ALWAYS get the same price as my Thai Wife....

• Like 1

If you are paying Thai Taxes and not getting the Thai price IT'S YOUR FAULT. I show my Thai drivers license or ,on few occasions, my Work permit and ALWAYS get the same price as my Thai Wife....

Well next time you are in Bangkok try Lumpini Stadium with you driving license... They will explain to you where you can put your license or WP.

And in that case it is not a few percent you paying more. A Thai pays something about 200 THB, if you are a foreigner you pay minimum 1000 THB up to 2000 THB.

They clearly explain to you, that it doesn't matter to them if you stay 20 years in Thailand, pay taxes, speak Thai or whatever.

You are a farang and you pay like a farang.

• Like 1

me too. I never pay the non-thai price if there is tiered pricing.

• Like 1

Typically, if you can prove to be a "resident" by showing a Thai drivers license, you

will get the Thai price. (Speaking Thai helps as well ...)

Most amusement parks in Pattaya and Bangkok do this ... and if not, I politely decline

and leave ....

luudee

Typically, if you can prove to be a "resident" by showing a Thai drivers license, you

Most amusement parks in Pattaya and Bangkok do this ... and if not, I politely decline

and leave ....

luudee

Come to think of it there was one place that had tiered pricing and offered me a discount but would not give me the Thai price. So essentially they had 3 tiers. That was at mini Siam and I took my family and walked away and never looked back.

and leave ....

luudee

Come to think of it there was one place that had tiered pricing and offered me a discount but would not give me the Thai price. So essentially they had 3 tiers. That was at mini Siam and I took my family and walked away and never looked back.

Thay also have duel pricing in some restaurant's just get your Thai lady to go in first and get her to look at the menu then you walk in and low and behold the Thai menu is no more and you have a nice pretty one with picture's just for us Farang + of course the larger price's. Go's for some/many hotel's as well.

and leave ....

luudee

Thay also have duel pricing in some restaurant's just get your Thai lady to go in first and get her to look at the menu then you walk in and low and behold the Thai menu is no more and you have a nice pretty one with picture's just for us Farang + of course the larger price's. Go's for some/many hotel's as well.

I have been here a long time and find no need to look at a menu when ordering from a thai restaurant. The first thai I ever learned was based around ordering the food I like. Did it ever occur to you that the farang version of the dish might be a larger portion? Name me a restaurant in Pattaya that does this dual pricing as I would like to investigate this myself. Personally I have never run into this. I can tell you that many food stalls and restaurants will sell you a dish for a high price that they refer to as "pee set" which basically means "special". This includes a larger portion. Even the food court in Lotus will make your dish "pee set" if you ask. The price is 5-10 thb more and the portion is larger.

Did it ever occur to you that the farang version of the dish might be a larger portion?

This is a legitimate point. A lot of Thai restaurants do serve bigger portions to Westerners and the price is not any more expensive based on the amount of food.

Did it ever occur to you that the farang version of the dish might be a larger portion?

This is a legitimate point. A lot of Thai restaurants do serve bigger portions to Westerners and the price is not any more expensive based on the amount of food.

I pay at a barbershop THB 120 and the Thais pay THB 80 (and do receive a proper shave + neck massage).

Reason for my higher price (given by staff): Farang have bigger head and more hair.

I know we can't expect Thailand to be like whatever country we're from but I wouldn't mind the double-pricing so much if it were determined by ID in some way rather than just the colour of your skin. If you are SE Asian but not Thai you can just walk in and pay the Thai price if you don't open your mouth or are with Thai people. It's true that in some places you can use your driving license to get the Thai price but I have found that it's easier when I'm with Thai people - when I am by myself (and my Thai is ok) I have been told that I have to pay the farang price regardless. I

It will be interesting to see if this practise decreases in future now that the standard of living in Thailand is improving and many foreign people are relatively poorer due to the exchange rate and recession in many western countries.

Re the food I am guessing the OP would want to know they had chosen a larger dish rather than the English menu only offering large portions whereas the Thai menu will almost always offer standard and large portions. Obviously you can always use the argument that if you can't read Thai then tough but that feels a bit harsh - at the end of the day every country wants foreign people for various reasons and businesses make an effort when they want your business. The only choice if you can't speak Thai to make sure you have a normal portion is to vote with your feet and go elsewhere I guess!

I pay at a barbershop THB 120 and the Thais pay THB 80 (and do receive a proper shave + neck massage).

Reason for my higher price (given by staff): Farang have bigger head and more hair.

deal with it or find a new barber.

On this issue, my barber as well has double pricing and I have never bothered to pull out my ID or even argue the point. I just don't tip on top of it. The price difference is only like 20-30 thb if I remember and my son gets the child's price which is less than a thai man pays. This has never bothered me and if it did I certainly would find a new barber. If they were trying to charge 2-3x the thai price then I would probably pull out my DL and ask for the lower price but for $1 I'm not bothered.

I don't know all the excuses the Thai use to justify double prices but in my opinion this is mot correct.. ( BTW we are not in the USA here )

I live here speak Thai and pay taxes like some Thais do. ( most of them don't even taxes )

And several of my Thai friends make much more money then most Farangs do in Thailand. ( One Thai wife received an MB S500 for her birthday from her Thai husbandwhistling.gif )

So i don't see any reason for the double pricing.

If the tour groups charge extra money for their tourist groups that is their thing but Farang who can prove that they live in Thailand full time should pay the normal price.

And yes some restaurant have different menu books as i found a view times.

One seafood restaurant in Phuket ( New one at bypass road ) have simple menus and flashy books with pictures for the Farang with off-course inflated prices.

Took us ( My Thai wife and myself ) to convince them to bring the normal menu and not the (special) Farang menu. angry.png

and leave ....

luudee

I have been here a long time and find no need to look at a menu when ordering from a thai restaurant. The first thai I ever learned was based around ordering the food I like. Did it ever occur to you that the farang version of the dish might be a larger portion? Name me a restaurant in Pattaya that does this dual pricing as I would like to investigate this myself. Personally I have never run into this. I can tell you that many food stalls and restaurants will sell you a dish for a high price that they refer to as "pee set" which basically means "special". This includes a larger portion. Even the food court in Lotus will make your dish "pee set" if you ask. The price is 5-10 thb more and the portion is larger.

Having Thai and Farang menus happens in a lot of restaurants, I have noticed it most in Farang owned restaurants though rather than Thai owned.

Even when you take the Thai menu and order from it the higher price from the Farang menu appears on the bill.

Having Thai and Farang menus happens in a lot of restaurants, I have noticed it most in Farang owned restaurants though rather than Thai owned.

Even when you take the Thai menu and order from it the higher price from the Farang menu appears on the bill.

Are we not allowed to use the names of the restaurants here? I for one would like to know so that I can be extra diligent when eating there or maybe stop going there all together. Other than that, all I hear is a bunch of complaining that will never help anyone.

• Like 2

Tourist are getting fleeced or targeted in every country of the world.

The way I see it is that some members think it is racism when in fact it is nothing of the kind.

A tourist is a non local. How does one distinguish a local from a non local ?

Here in Thailand a first clue is the fact that we farangs have a different skin color than the Thais, can one really call this racism ?

I don't think so, also because as other members have experienced many times just showing a driving license is enough to get the lower price.

As for the restaurants double pricing in Pattaya, Phuket, Chang Mai etc. again this is fleecing the tourists. I have never witnessed this practice in non tourist towns or villages, and believe me I have eaten in a lot of places outside of the tourist centers.

Just my opinion.

Yermanee

I honestly think a lot of it is attitude, how you present yourself if you will be charged more or not. Yes it helps if you can speak Thai for sure and that's what I do say for instance if I have to pull into a motorcycle repair shop that does not know me, I talk in Thai and joke a little then I sit and watch or help while they are doing their thing talking to them and making them laugh etc. and when it's bill time I think I am charged a normal "Thai" price. Same thing in Restaurant etc.

I must admit I have been farang priced even outside of the tourist areas as in Sakon Nakhon at the market where I stood in line to order some food and the Thai in front of me was charged 25 baht but when they served me they said 35 baht. (My portion was no bigger). I told them in perfect Thai that I just seen them charge the Thai 25 baht and they smiled and said.........yes. I had to laugh. It's not like 10 baht will kill me however I would not buy from them again and just chose another booth selling the same thing.

As far as real tourists go, getting charged more is still cheap and you just have to accept it or travel to another SEA country where I'm sure nothing will change. This happens in every poor country and hey, they are poor, we are not, we are all people of the world so why not help out a little.

• Like 2