Demonoid Busted By The Police (Zdnet.Com)

GuyL

Demonoid busted by the police

Summary: Demonoid, one of the biggest torrent sites, was taken down on July 25 by a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. Ukrainian officials then made sure the servers remained inaccessible, apparently to show the U.S. it is taking intellectual property rights seriously.

News broke today that Demonoid was busted by Ukrainian authorities in the middle of last week. The massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that brought the site to its knees late last month was apparently just the beginning.

Last week, the server was turned off completely and the site led to a dead end. Then it came back to life and started redirecting to random sites full of advertisements. Eventually this stopped and both demonoid.me anddemonoid.ph went back to not responding. Now we know why.

Government officials reportedly arrived at ColoCall, the largest datacenter in Ukraine, to shut Demonoid down.

Full story: http://www.zdnet.com/demonoid-busted-by-the-police-7000002208/

Strange occurrence.

Yesterday I downloaded a torrent that was about 24 hours old (The Dictator). One of the text files in the torrent was called "Torrent downloaded from http://www.Demonoid.me"

Of course, this file could have been added anywhere.

Could hostile takedowns of sites in this way with law-enforcement sanction suddenly become popular? Sort of the cyber equivalent of a drone strike.

Then where do we get the films/progammes legally?

Not much in the shops for expats in the more remote parts of the world.

Certainly no access to the world of TV programmes, only a narrow

view dictated by the local market/culture.

The concept of the Global Market does not apply here. :bah:

File sharing makes so much more sense.

No need for expensive servers and bandwidth.

Instead of trying to shut down file sharing, get on the band wagon.

Why not set up a paid torrent service?

You pay for the torrent file, but the download comes from sharing.

Or is that too simple for the TV and movie moguls?

• Like 1

...A source inside the Interior Ministry also claimed the raid was timed to coincide with Deputy Prime Minister Valery Khoroshkovsky‘s first trip to the United States to discuss copyright infringement...

"Popular torrent site ‘Demonoid’ shut down as gift to U.S. government"

http://news.yahoo.com/popular-torrent-demonoid-shut-down-gift-u-government-223525439.html

Then where do we get the films/progammes legally?

Not much in the shops for expats in the more remote parts of the world.

Certainly no access to the world of TV programmes, only a narrow

view dictated by the local market/culture.

The concept of the Global Market does not apply here. bah.gif

File sharing makes so much more sense.

No need for expensive servers and bandwidth.

Instead of trying to shut down file sharing, get on the band wagon.

Why not set up a paid torrent service?

You pay for the torrent file, but the download comes from sharing.

Or is that too simple for the TV and movie moguls?

Not possible...different rights, different prices, different market owner in every country :-(

But for ebooks it is partially working so maybe sound and movies will follow in a century or two.

Demonoid owners under criminal investigation (ZDnet.com)

Summary: Demonoid, one of the biggest torrent sites, was taken down on July 25 by a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. Ukrainian officials then made sure the servers remained inaccessible, and now the owners are reportedly under criminal investigation in Mexico.

Demonoid's owners are under criminal investigation in Mexico, where at least one of the site's administrator's was previously rumored to be. We learned just yesterday that Demonoid was busted by Ukrainian authorities who had a talk with ColoCall, the largest datacenter in Ukraine, in the middle of last week.

Full story: http://www.zdnet.com/demonoid-owners-under-criminal-investigation-7000002297/

So many torrents, so little time!

Sour note: NONE of these suggestions seems to me nearly as good as demonoid was.

May I have an invite??

You're a little late.

Oooops, quoted the wrong'un, shoulda been this:

extratorrent.com is very good. iptorrents.com is one of the best, but an invite is needed to join, plus you will need to seed back what you download.

Is DDOS ATTACK a form of hacking a computer server ?

well.. DOS is denial of service. It's a way of clogging a server so that it stops responding to normal traffic. The extra D means that the attack is distributed across many attacking clients. This makes the attack harder to block as before they would just ignore the one attacking computer but if it's distributed across many computers than it's much harder to filter out.

today I found access to sites such as Piratebay and eztv being blocked from my guesthouse. Earlier today there was no problem. I ran hotspot shield and was able to go on them but that throttles my connection. Does anybody know if a guesthouse would typically run such a block or if it would come from the isp? I've been here about 3 months with no problem.

Thanks

today I found access to sites such as Piratebay and eztv being blocked from my guesthouse. Earlier today there was no problem. I ran hotspot shield and was able to go on them but that throttles my connection. Does anybody know if a guesthouse would typically run such a block or if it would come from the isp? I've been here about 3 months with no problem.

Thanks

Is your guesthouse using 3BB? My condo shares a 3BB connection and I have had both eztv and piratrebaty blocked since today, other sites are still accessible and 'a friend told me' he can access both via proxy servers. Have heard reports of other 3BB users having these sites blocked as well.

pretty sure it's not the idiot who runs the LAN, he can barely keep the servers plugged in, can't see him being able to block sites.

Edited by Furryman