Cost Of Renting A Room In Samui Mid Sept - Mid Nov And Hepatitis B And Rabies Jabs

I live in the UK. I was in Ko Samui in January for 3 weeks and had a great time.

I am returning to Samui in a couple of weeks and this time I shall be in Thailand for 3 months. If things go well, I may return a third time and stay long term, perhaps based in Samui.

Initially, for my upcoming trip I had planned to spend time in Bangkok and then go up to Chiang Mai for a time before spending the last couple of weeks in Samui again.

I am however moving to the idea of spending the whole 3 months in Koh Samui, with perhaps one or two short trips away. I like Samui and it would give me an idea of whether I can 'hack' it in one place for a fairly long period; of the day to day costs; and get to know Samui during its less glamorous period that is the rainy season.

Initially, I shall be in an hotel, but then want to rent a room somewhere for say 10 weeks in the Lamai beach area. Please could you advise:

1 What sort of price could I expect to pay for a room - nothing fancy, so long as it has a clean bed with a decent hot shower (not necessarily one that blows your balls off) during say mid September through to mid November?

2 Presumably the best thing to do is to walk around the streets and look at any advertising boards outside in the street? Can anyone recommend a good area to look please?

I have had jabs for tetanus, typhoid, polio and hepatitis A (on the good old NHS). The NHS nurse today suggested I go to a travel clinic (which is not NHS) to ask about hepatitis B and rabies jabs. I went there as suggested.

I had a very brief word with a nurse there who said that hepatitis B requires 3 jabs. I fly on 19th August and so will only get 2 of the 3 jabs and so will be 60% protected. The two jabs plus the rabies jabs would cost me 200 GBPs. I decided not to go have the jabs.

3 Have you guys who live long term on Samui had hepatitis B jabs? The NHS nurse's concern for me was that if I was injured in a car accident and so needed medical treatment, I might be treated with unsafe needles.

I would add that although I shall be on Samui for 3 months I do not intend to rent a car or motorcycle or even a bike. I just feel that the roads seem too dangerous and so by not driving/ riding, I am less likely to be involved in an accident. I know that passengers in buses have been killed and injured too, but I feel that it is a risk worth taking.

3 I have read one or two threads on this site about dogs and rabies. When I was on Samui in January, I did not feel in any danger. Of course, it only takes one mad dog but again. I am willing to take the risk this time round. What do you guys think please?

If things go well this time round and I decide to move to Samui for a much longer period in the future I may well stump up the 200 GBPs for the full round of hepatitis B and rabies jabs at that stage.

4 I intend to get some DEET mosquito repellant. What about a mosquito net for the bed? How much do these cost or should buy one in the UK and bring it over? Alternatively, is one supplied with the room?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings from over the Silver Sea

Edited by Silver sea

1. 10,000 a month should be enough

2 Yes have a mooch about

3.1 No never had any jabs for Hep B before moving here.

3.2 Not sure what an unsafe needle entails (urine on it, HIV blood sample), but the risk is not a high one. It would be unlucky, and it is something you can see before hand if you watch carefully unless unconscious of course. They pull it out of a packet. Anyway most hospitals here make enough money to not skimp on needles and damage their filthy lucre business.

3.3 Get bitten by a dog, go get the shots here, again highly unlikely. Keep a packet of treats with you.

4. Not sure, buy one here, cheap. Not usually supplied with rooms.

Just make sure you have proper insurance, check the small print and enjoy yourself.

It's lovely time of year to be here, in my opinion it is not a time to see if you can hack it. The time to see if you can hack it is when it's buzzing with knob*eads and steaming heat.

Bangrak Bob pretty well said it all.

I too do not know anyone having Hep B jabs here. I have a far amount of experience at the hospitals (mostly with my guests) and have never heard of a problem with dirty needles. For the money that the hospitals charge, they should be gold plated.

Agree about the rabies - wait and see if you get bitten.

Mozzie nets much cheaper here. Better still - spray the bedroom before you go to bed! (You will get hot under the net.)

• Like 1

Good solid advice so far, nothing to add to it.

You could and perhaps should go to Chang Mai before you make the choice to do a long stint on Samui. Whilst setting up base, as it were, on Samui before a jaunt up north is obviously an option it is also quite a way so chances are you will then lose 4 days sitting on a bus. IMO you should get a UK-BKK return alongside an internal flight to Chang Mai a few days later. Then you will lose nothing if you decide to stay in CM or make your way south to Samui.

very sound advice all round. save your £200, and only if you're very unlucky will you need to get any jabs once you're here. 10,000ß will get a very decent place, and if u don't mind a short walk to the beach (like 10 mins max) you'll find cheaper.

I had the Hep B jabs when i lived in Samui, and just had them done again in Pattaya, i had the 2 out the 3 so far. the first 2 are not far apart and cost 500 baht each, so with in few weeks you could have protection cheaply and quickly. last one is 3 months apart. Its advised by UK doctors for a reason, mine in the UK used to do it for free. I had a blood test done recently as i do every year, the one thing the specialst enforcised several times was your hep b needs boosting, so for the sake of 500 baht a go i did it. I know a guy on Samui who was a good friend died with it, but he was in high risk group so it is there as it is every where. But upto you, probably nip into local hospital and ask do they see hep b cases then decide. or see if you can find via a google a site where hep is NOT advised for travel to Thailand. 1000 baht or risk to the liver, save the 1000 baht???

it depends on what you plan to do whilst here, if you plan to be sexually active .

a course of Rabies jabs in the unlikly event of being bitten is 3000 baht, worth the gamble not to bother i would think.

Buy baygon spray and i would spray room before going out at night, spray when your in it and it is harsh stuff, a product called OFF i have found best spay to put on the skin to prevent mozzie attacks before going out. Dengue is very common now prevention of bites is very important.

just my 2 bobs worth

I have to say, that in all the years I have visited Thailand and lived here, (five years), I have only heard once of someone actually having Dengue fever.... and that was "hear say", of someone having the year before I first came (2004)

So my question is where are these out breaks....?? Or is this a bit of a "wind up", saying it is so common ?

• Like 1

I have to say, that in all the years I have visited Thailand and lived here, (five years), I have only heard once of someone actually having Dengue fever.... and that was "hear say", of someone having the year before I first came (2004)

So my question is where are these out breaks....?? Or is this a bit of a "wind up", saying it is so common ?

i too only know one my ex neighbour who always sat on his balcolny every evening having a smoke so a high risk time. Official figures state just under 109,000 cases per year so in the scheme of things not a huge amount.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever_outbreaks

Edited by marstons

Good solid advice so far, nothing to add to it.

You could and perhaps should go to Chang Mai before you make the choice to do a long stint on Samui. Whilst setting up base, as it were, on Samui before a jaunt up north is obviously an option it is also quite a way so chances are you will then lose 4 days sitting on a bus. IMO you should get a UK-BKK return alongside an internal flight to Chang Mai a few days later. Then you will lose nothing if you decide to stay in CM or make your way south to Samui.

Yep I'd agree about going up to Chang Mai first, particularly if you have not been before. While there go over to Pye and Chang Rai. These are beautiful places to visit, a wonderful contrast of Thai culture comparative to Samui. You just might find yourself staying a little longer up there. At least you know what is here waiting for you anyway thumbsup.gif

Edited by BangrakBob

Hi guys.

Great advice, comments and info from BangrakBob, Topicalevo, davo67, notmyself, insertmembernamehere, samuijimmy and marstons (hope I haven't forgotten anyone)

I'm flying on Sunday and will be in an hotel to start with. I shall probably stay on the island for the three months. I understand that Sumui is the 4th most expensive place to live in Thailand. Like most people, I am not rich, so staying for a period will give me an idea of day to day running costs, and so will help me plan for the future.

If all goes well, I shall return to Thailand next year for a longer period. I can then do the usual tourist visits around Bangkok and then go up to Chiang Mai, Pye and Chiang Rai for a nose around, as you suggest, before heading back to Samui.

I have decided not to get the Hep B jabs. Thanks for your advice marstons, but I am not intending to be sexually active - but I'm glad to see that you are being careful with your health and are taking all the necessary precautions.

I agree with you guys so I won't be having the rabies jabs.

Further to the samuijimmy's comment about Dengue Fever in Thailand here is a recent article. I don't know how far Phi Phi is from Samui. Maybe infected mozzies don't like Aussies

Click HERE

Also I notice there's an earlier thread on this Samui site asking advice on the best Samui hospital to visit to check on Dengue Fever. It seems he did have it too. The tread is called "Best Hospital To Check For Dengue Fever?" if you want to do a search for it on this site.

One further question please: about electricity. If I rent for three months does the price include electricity or does the landlord come and check the meter periodically and then charge me or do I have to register with the electricity company? If the latter, is it easy to come off their computer records?

Here in the UK I registered to pay by direct debit years and years ago so it's not something I think about a great deal, other than being careful, because it is very expensive.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Edited by Silver sea

You usually have to pay for electricity. Mine government electric which is the cheapest (I understand), if it's done via the owner then they charge you more per unit and it seems to me that for some people are charged quite considerable amount more. I can give you and idea but it depends on the unit price outside of government charged.

1 bedroom fairly new build bungalow with quite a new aircon unit in the bedroom. Aircon is only used when asleep so around 10 hours a day. Also have a small fan on during that time in case there is a powercut. The fan will not work during a powercut obviously but will start up straight away when the power comes back on unlike the aircon where I need to click the remote to get it going.

1 fan on in the lounge during the day, 2-3 showers during the day, fridge (not very new). No TV as such but a 47" monitor (LCD) connected to a high end PC. If I'm doing video rendering then it sucks a bit of juice and this can be from anywhere between 4-24 hours constant drain. Other than lights, phone charger and the rice steamer that's it. My electric bill comes in at around 1000 Baht a month but it has been as high as 1400 (1381) when I had a great deal of video rendering work on.

I have responded within your text...

Hi guys.

Great advice, comments and info from BangrakBob, Topicalevo, davo67, notmyself, insertmembernamehere, samuijimmy and marstons (hope I haven't forgotten anyone)

I'm flying on Sunday and will be in an hotel to start with. I shall probably stay on the island for the three months. I understand that Sumui is the 4th most expensive place to live in Thailand. Like most people, I am not rich, so staying for a period will give me an idea of day to day running costs, and so will help me plan for the future.

When you see these "surveys" it usually people comparing the price of a beer at a bar, IMO, food at Tesco etc, is the same all over Thailand, if you want to cook your own.... if you avoid restaurants on the beach, generally you'll find food is cheaper.... but that too, depends on the area you choose to live... Chawang, Ban Rak etc, always more expensive than say Maenam (they even charge a service charge at some places ... in some restaurants, bloody nerve if you ask me... tip if you get good service and food.... that's my motto.... wink.png

As for house rentals the prices are all over the map... anywhere from 3500 baht a month plus electric to sky is the limit.... wink.png

If all goes well, I shall return to Thailand next year for a longer period. I can then do the usual tourist visits around Bangkok and then go up to Chiang Mai, Pye and Chiang Rai for a nose around, as you suggest, before heading back to Samui. Rainy season reversed in the north, so keep that in mind.....

I have decided not to get the Hep B jabs. Thanks for your advice marstons, but I am not intending to be sexually active - but I'm glad to see that you are being careful with your health and are taking all the necessary precautions.

I agree with you guys so I won't be having the rabies jabs.

Further to the samuijimmy's comment about Dengue Fever in Thailand here is a recent article. I don't know how far Phi Phi is from Samui. Maybe infected mozzies don't like Aussies.....

Yeah watch out for those Ozzie's ...... mozzies like them especially ...biggrin.pngBut Phi Phi is on west coast, so not near....here...wink.png Have a bottle of Citronella handy especially in the evening.... Other thing to check when looking for a place is do they have mesh on the windows... nothing worse than a stuffy room with no air.... as for Aircon, that is up to you but I very rarely use, a fan works.... may take a while to get use to the heat, but it will save you money... thumbsup.gif

Click HERE

Also I notice there's an earlier thread on this Samui site asking advice on the best Samui hospital to visit to check on Dengue Fever. It seems he did have it too. The tread is called "Best Hospital To Check For Dengue Fever?" if you want to do a search for it on this site. Several hospitals around, One would assume you will have insurance? so that would not matter so much....

One further question please: about electricity. If I rent for three months does the price include electricity or does the landlord come and check the meter periodically and then charge me or do I have to register with the electricity company?

No you don't register with the electric company... Some places will include electric but you will pay a higher rental rate, so one way or another you do pay... You are better to find a place with your own meter..... it can take some searching, but you need to be a here a while to really sort out where you want to be...

If the latter, is it easy to come off their computer records? That's a bit advanced, never seen here, myself.... although each meter read, does have it's own slip, when it is read, ...... but is the meter shared? ..... that is the question you need to get answered..... (it depends on the place)

Here in the UK I registered to pay by direct debit years and years ago so it's not something I think about a great deal, other than being careful, because it is very expensive. I don't follow this?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Have a safe trip! biggrin.png

I believe that government rates for electricity are between 3.5 and 4 baht per unit depending on area.

I get mine from the developer and he charges about 6 baht per unit.

A development nearby used to pay 29 baht per unit.

Get water and electric charges agreed when you negotiate the rent.

You wrote "so staying for a period will give me an idea of day to day running costs, and so will help me plan for the future.. From my humble experience - it is never enough!

Re the dengue fever - yes it is on the island - has been for years, but usually isolated cases, mostly in the local camps where water housekeeping/management does not exist. Currently there is a bit of an outbreak amongst the Burmese workers here.

A development nearby used to pay 29 baht per unit.

Wow. I've seen members with similar setup and usage as me post that they are paying 3.5k a month. Money I save on power is close to half my monthly rental!

Back to the OP. Samui is in general more expensive than most other places in the Kingdom so you need to be at the top of your game. If you know what you are doing and you have a number of good friends then you can live well on this wonderful island fairly cheaply. That being said, you could also live in Issan for much less using the same knowledge. For many years I wanted to be able to sit on a beach on a tropical island and get paid for it. Whilst I never quite did that, I can go sit on the beach for a couple of hours and walk away with more money than I went with.

as for Aircon, that is up to you but I very rarely use, a fan works.... may take a while to get use to the heat, but it will save you money...

I sleep during the day as my time based stuff needs to be done during the night (night in Thailand). Supper for me is a bowl of jok down the local market at sunrise before a beer, shower then bed.

Hey guys thanks again for all the info.

So how do I get switched on with government electric?

Will it be the same day?

Do I pay by cheque? I am a bit reluctant to set up a direct debit for just 8 or 9 weeks.

Also, how easy is it to end the electricity contract? What do I have to do?

What about the water? Does the landlord do that or do I have to contact the water company?

I will probably need 9 weeks. Is there a problem with the 9th week or is it better to rent in whole month/4 week blocks?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Edited by Silver sea

hi Silver Sea,

regarding electric and water, well the last 3 houses I have rented longterm had the bills put in a little box outside. if you find this setup at a house you are viewing, then its government rates (the cheapest)

no need to register or anything, just take the bill(s) to any 7/11, family mart or bank and pay at the counter. this is the same for both leccy and water. your landlord should be on top of keeping the supply on, but if the place has been empty for a while ( I think 6 weeks? someone may be able to verify ) then a trip to Nathon would be needed to pay the outstanding bill and get the juice flowing again.

might seem a bit daunting if you've never done all this before, but such things are very straightforward and easy in LOS.

I have just got over Dengue Fever and know personally at least six other people who have had it here on Samui in the last three months. Very prevalent at the moment for some reason. The hospital confirmed they had seen quite a few cases recently.

hi Silver Sea,

regarding electric and water, well the last 3 houses I have rented longterm had the bills put in a little box outside. if you find this setup at a house you are viewing, then its government rates (the cheapest)

no need to register or anything, just take the bill(s) to any 7/11, family mart or bank and pay at the counter. this is the same for both leccy and water. your landlord should be on top of keeping the supply on, but if the place has been empty for a while ( I think 6 weeks? someone may be able to verify ) then a trip to Nathon would be needed to pay the outstanding bill and get the juice flowing again.

might seem a bit daunting if you've never done all this before, but such things are very straightforward and easy in LOS.

Is it still the case that if the monthly usage is less than 300 Baht then you don't pay anything?

To the OP. All pretty straight forward as davo says. It's not a bad idea to do all this stuff as it gives you an idea of how to go about getting things done in LoS. Along the way you will no doubt learn other things which could be of use in the future.

re electric and water metrers, alway read together with landlord when you move in, i got caught a couple of times paying bills of others before me as i checked after i moved in. As you see from SamuiRes Dengue is a problem, i did not enfersisse the point as i know others would disagree. Mosquitos fly, so if its in one area its in others. Aedes mosquitoes are the culptits and bite during the day.

Yes, meet someone today who had just had Dengue fever, a mild form from what I gathered.... But i suppose outbreaks come and go, this is certainly the first I heard mentioned in 5 years actually longer ... so one never knows.... wink.png watch out for mosquitoes during the day. ! w00t.gif

As for the electric as said the landlord will sort out... don't worry about it!

re electric and water metrers, alway read together with landlord when you move in, i got caught a couple of times paying bills of others before me as i checked after i moved in. As you see from SamuiRes Dengue is a problem, i did not enfersisse the point as i know others would disagree. Mosquitos fly, so if its in one area its in others. Aedes mosquitoes are the culptits and bite during the day.

Yeah I moved into my recent place while a bunch of people were having an English lesson on my porch, with fan and light on! Definitely read meter and agree before on date. After that pretty easy.

hi Silver Sea,

Is it still the case that if the monthly usage is less than 300 Baht then you don't pay anything?

To the OP. All pretty straight forward as davo says. It's not a bad idea to do all this stuff as it gives you an idea of how to go about getting things done in LoS. Along the way you will no doubt learn other things which could be of use in the future.

yep, the 300ß rule is in effect, as kindly remarked upon every month by my single, hard-working, never at home falang neighbour. if wifey would go without the AC at night, then I might be able to post this as first-hand knowledge, rather than hearsay!