How To Stop Free Roaming Cats From Killing Pondfish, Birds, Squirrels Etc.In My Garden.

yermanee

I had the same problem a few months ago, and i started a thread on " Plants & pets " subforum..Got some quite weird advices, but 1 has been quite useful and cheap..

The cats are indeed deterred by lemon and orange smell, so the solution for me was to place orange peels in some strategic spot in the garden...I did it for a couple of months, and it worked a deal..Once the cats get used to roam other places, you won't need to do it so often.smile.png

I had the same problem a few months ago, and i started a thread on " Plants & pets " subforum..Got some quite weird advices, but 1 has been quite useful and cheap..

The cats are indeed deterred by lemon and orange smell, so the solution for me was to place orange peels in some strategic spot in the garden...I did it for a couple of months, and it worked a deal..Once the cats get used to roam other places, you won't need to do it so often.smile.png

OK thanks for that.

Yermaneewai.gif

It seems that notwithstanding comments of the usual useless replies, some are worth perusing.

It's seems also that I'm not the only with this problem.

One suggestion was water-sprinkler with motion detector which seems to be a valid solution as you can find out here :

Now to find these here in Thailand at a reasonable price.

Thanks to all who took the time to give useful or supporting replies.thumbsup.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

Some serious problems being discussed here. A few stray cats from a former neighbour are trying to catch fish in a pond. Well, as you have read from the replies, you'll have to bite the bullet. Either you 'get rid of' the cats, or build a bunker around the pond. Or maybe some very high walls around your plot.

BTW, cats have a tendency to reproduce themselves. So next year there could be more than these few cats you're having problem with.

We have the same problem, big pond full of coy also nesting baby Lapwings, and Oriental Magpie Robins and Baby Bull Bulls, we have a 2.5 meter wall all round the garden but still one black cat can get over the wall, Our own eight domestic cats stay in large cages and only go out under supervision so they are not a problem.

I have thought of trying motion sensor alarms close by the pond on the route he uses, dunno if that would work or he would get used to the noise they make.

We have also chased him with water pistols.

Don't want to get in touble, but it's Koi

As a kid my elderly neighbours put bottles full of water in their flower bed, their reason was that cats hate their own reflection. I don't know how effective bottles would be however I have seen them in several gardens in the UK.

Small mirrors around the garden maybe ?

OK now that we've had some of the jokers.

What about some useful suggestions oh and BTW I have 2 dogs but they are trained not to attack animals and people.

Yermanee

dogs trained not to attack cats?????

That aren't dogs.....

What about some useful suggestions oh and BTW I have 2 dogs but they are trained not to attack animals and people.

Yermanee

That aren't dogs.....

I have 4 dogs and 5 cats and they all get along like one big happy family.

I feel for Yermanee because since we have had the cats......no mice or rats (that's good) but they do like to catch squirrels and young birds in nests which I do not like at all. They are efficient predators and unlike dogs....you cannot train a cat.

Trust me, I would also love to have a set-up similar to Yermanee, but I just know one cannot exist with the other.

Coming from Oz where we had lots of beautiful birds, rainbow lorrikeets, rosellas, king parrots etc. I do miss them here in LOS and unfortunately I have a love/hate feeling towards cats.

I like the idea of a motion sensor sprinkler.....but cats are smart and quick......I just don't know what the ideal solution is.

Please let us know if you do find something that works.

Cheers.

Yermanee

That aren't dogs.....

Maybe not, but if you ever watched Cesar Milan's " The Dogwhisperer " you would know that even pit-bulls can be trained to not attack.

But that implies a responsible owner which I gather you are not.

Yermanee

I have 4 dogs and 5 cats and they all get along like one big happy family.

I feel for Yermanee because since we have had the cats......no mice or rats (that's good) but they do like to catch squirrels and young birds in nests which I do not like at all. They are efficient predators and unlike dogs....you cannot train a cat.

Trust me, I would also love to have a set-up similar to Yermanee, but I just know one cannot exist with the other.

Coming from Oz where we had lots of beautiful birds, rainbow lorrikeets, rosellas, king parrots etc. I do miss them here in LOS and unfortunately I have a love/hate feeling towards cats.

I like the idea of a motion sensor sprinkler.....but cats are smart and quick......I just don't know what the ideal solution is.

Please let us know if you do find something that works.

Cheers.

I will probably go for the sprinkler system.

I will try to have them ( I need at least 2) fabricated from existing parts here in Thailand. One of my neighbors is a retired electrician and very competent handy man who loves challenges and we just might come up with something effective.

If successful I will post again, promise.

Cheers

Yermanee wai.gif

Now it's bed time sleepy.gif

Back in the UK I had some success using ultrasonic cat scarers in my front and back gardens - this type of product:-

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/ultrasonic_cat_deterrent_system.htm

It doesn't harm the cats at all, they just don't like the noise. The one illustrated works off batteries, but I did have one that used mains power, more reliable if you can find one.

Forget about all the weird smelling miracle cat repellents, they don’t work.

The pond:

At each corners of the pond install and cement into the ground a plastic pipe, the type most often used for plumbing. Cut to around 1 foot in height. Buy some large holed netting, the kind they use for fishing. This net can be purchased cheaply at most hardware stores or shops.

Attach each corner of the net to the pvc piping and spread over the pond. Although the net is black, you will be surprised; it becomes virtually invisible when over the pond and does not block the sunlight. Plus it harmlessly prevents fish from jumping out the pond and protects from birds and cats.

The trees:

You could try attaching a few strands of thin barbed wire around the trunks. Perhaps not attractive, but will do the job? Or you could try wrapping the trucks very loosely with the pond netting that may stop a cat getting a footing onto the tree?

post-110219-0-92020700-1344405533_thumb.

post-110219-0-79310400-1344405581_thumb.

post-110219-0-62638000-1344405594.jpg

post-110219-0-81130200-1344405618_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice