Immigration Want Me To Buy Them New Computer...Its True!

eyecatcher

With the amount of money for visas being passed over and under the table every day you would think they have an accounting team that allocates money for office equipment.

Don’t you believe it, we still don’t give them enough.

A few months ago my (now ex) lawyer sent me the following begging letter, which received a suitable and to the point curt reply in my own inimitable way,….

Dear Sir or Madam,

The immigration office has sent a request to us regarding donation for a new computer. xxx xxxxx Co. Ltd. as your representative may ask if you would like to donate some money to buy a new computer for the immigration office since there current system is to old and out of date. The total cost for this new computer is 13,805 Baht. If you can donate for 30% or more, we will arrange for you to hand to them and take photo with the colonial.

Please reply to this email for the amount that you would like to donate.

Blessings,

It was clear from the email that we were one of three, for computer A,(a cheap one at that) but in my mind this was Immigration more or less asking me to bribe them for something or other.

What would your thoughts, cynicism be if you received the same email.?

Have read the email a couple of times it appears that Immigration requested money from your (ex)lawyer company (xxx xxxxx co Ltd) and they have passed this request on to you. So, to me, seems your lawyer is making the request.

Also as the heading is Dear Sir or Madam looks like a mass mailing, so maybe they were looking to get more than 3 donations.

Not surprised that they are your ex lawyers.

It is not a bribe. Corporate sponsering of the police, including immigration police, is not that uncommen in Thailand. They didn't approach you, but the lawfirm who passed it on to you in the hope you would also be willing to donate.

The picture opportunity also underlines it is not a bribe, but a genuine request for a donation wich will be completely on the record.

• Like 2

Also as the heading is Dear Sir or Madam

Yeah......I wonder why the OP assumes Dear Sir or Madam relates specifically to him (her)? unsure.pngwink.png

Well, as the email was from his (hers) lawyer, they have probably met before.

It is not a bribe. Corporate sponsering of the police, including immigration police, is not that uncommen in Thailand. They didn't approach you, but the lawfirm who passed it on to you in the hope you would also be willing to donate.

The picture opportunity also underlines it is not a bribe, but a genuine request for a donation wich will be completely on the record.

Bit like the good old days when farangs used to turn up at immigration, with their Thai wives bearing more gifts than the three wise men!

• Like 1

Also as the heading is Dear Sir or Madam

Yeah......I wonder why the OP assumes Dear Sir or Madam relates specifically to him (her)? unsure.pngwink.png

You are correct of course, but the email had only 3 recipients (it appeared) Maybe the only 3 clients this firm had left at the time!

And with them asking for say 30%or so, trying to share it between 3 clients.

Yes of course I met them all before, less than competent as you would expect, and too lazy to address personally.

As for Sir/ madam they know the score on share splits with business, for us the Madam is the boss isnt shegiggle.gif

in any case it was nice for me to get a joke from someone and not t'other way round

Not saying you are right but you seem to have knowledge.

Every one else has opinions. My first one was scam. Then I realized it was probably coming from his lawyer scam again.

Notice I have not had to bring immigration into the picture at all to see two different ways to scam.

You at least make sense immigration is trying to get it's money from it's larger client's

Now for my opinion. That is the only way they can get money to improve their service. The government has a larger fish to catch in Dubai.

Remember the easier the work load on them is the easier and faster they can process it. The work load is growing but there resources are not.

People stop and think about it if you are helpful to them they would be inclined to be helpful to you. Not do any thing they normally wouldn't but speed the process up. Me I don't worry about it I take a book and quite often meet some interesting people to chat with and I don't have to look down on a system I made a concisense choice to live in. If I was so inclined I could get a lawyer to do it for me but I have plenty of time a whole life time a head of me. No idea of how long it is going to be and I had no idea 50 years ago.

Not unusual. I have been at immigration functions where I was the only farang, all the other sponsors were Thai. You are not being singled out because you are farang, nor is it uncommon for them to appeal for help outside their budget. Nothing newsworthy or unusual here.

My wife and I went to our local Amphur office to get me a yellow book. When we were finished the lady that helped us asked my wife if she could buy some paper for the printer. We were happy to do so but couldn't help but wonder why there was no room in their budget for paper.

Definitely a scam from your ex lawyer.

I’m a little suspect about the email signing off with the word; Blessings.

Sounds awfully similar to those Nigerian scam mails that we all receive in our spam mailings several times a day.

Concur with Beetlejuice. Scam from your ex-lawyer.

Blessings

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

Right, similar to race cars. I've seen several Thai cops wearing uniforms emblazoned with the "Pennzoil" logo.

Sponsoring the Immigration office is not uncommon. You head down there now and you can see racks of Newspapers supplied by Dukes. I assume Dukes are looking at it as an advertising opportunity, though who knows whether it was 'requested' or not.

Right, similar to race cars. I've seen several Thai cops wearing uniforms emblazoned with the "Pennzoil" logo.

Look at every police station and traffic booth, and most of their signs, and you'll see advertising on nearly all of them - is this not sponsorship?

I'm sure Dave2 could provide some pictures, but next time you're near Airport Plaza, check the Swensens emblazoned traffic booths. Or the Cotto Studio logo on the booth at the Rin Kham intersection...

Look at every police station and traffic booth, and most of their signs, and you'll see advertising on nearly all of them - is this not sponsorship?

I'm sure Dave2 could provide some pictures, but next time you're near Airport Plaza, check the Swensens emblazoned traffic booths. Or the Cotto Studio logo on the booth at the Rin Kham intersection...

Well, looks like I'm wrong then. I'm used to my home country, the US, where we allow corporate sponsorship at only the high levels of government (Congress, Senate, Supreme Court, President).

Still, Here, I think it would be better if the logos were put on the uniforms instead of on buildings.

Edited by mesquite

I’m a little suspect about the email signing off with the word; Blessings.

Sounds awfully similar to those Nigerian scam mails that we all receive in our spam mailings several times a day.

Actually I wouldnt read anything into this word. The law firm are devout Christians and I know this word is very common in the sense of asking permission, requesting favours,at mercy of...etc.

I can appreciate for long stay expats that this may not be newsworthy or new but we are all on a learning curve about what is genuine and what isnt.

Thanks for the info chaps, I feel relieved that I dont think I was targetted particularly, but by not paying I could have missed an opportunity?

If the "lawyer" calls himself "Sumit", you did a great job in getting another one. When I asked him to contact a seller of some condo units, the price was 100k THB higher than when I called myself. He also signed his great offers with "Blessings". Everytime I hear or read of "Blessings" I now check if my wallet is still in the back pocket.w00t.gif

If the "lawyer" calls himself "Sumit", you did a great job in getting another one. When I asked him to contact a seller of some condo units, the price was 100k THB higher than when I called myself. He also signed his great offers with "Blessings". Everytime I hear or read of "Blessings" I now check if my wallet is still in the back pocket.w00t.gif

yes, we are singing from the same christian hymn sheet

• Like 1

but by not paying I could have missed an opportunity?

Yep, I thought that too. 13,000 bt to put you on a first name basis with the colonel there could be money well spent!

I was also thinking that, a snapshot with the colonel could well have saved a few guys I know some headaches. Might even be better that the old business card flash.

is this a genuine request from the immigration or a scam by the lawyer? its just 13,000, does a lawyer really need to resort to this?

I think if you read some earlier posts, a few people suggest corporate sponsorship of this nature is not uncommon.

In actual fact I went back to the email, and it had a pdf attachment, with a full quote breakdown for the new computer. It was all written in Thai, but i recognised the word "mouse" and the name at the top was PC *** but I think prudent not to show this.

So the lawyer wasnt hiding anything, I am sure there was nothing for him in this....but his general incompetence with the work I commissioned him to do was less than acceptable and complete.

As I said now my ex lawyer....bless him !!