Return Of Goods

mogy

My wife just bought a phone two days ago and it keeps locking up. She's brought it back once already and the imbecile behind the counter reset the phone - all numbers gone - no back up (no comments about who's the real imbecile please) - a big 'solleeeee' was all that was got.

She says she'll give it another go but I'd like to know what's the general policy on returning goods here ? I know normally they'll insist it's not possible but if they completely refuse is there any law that can be thrown at them ?

I remember there was a consumer hot line setup or supposed to be setup a few years ago.

Any info is welcome.

Thanks.

@easyride: who said the clerk should have done a backup ? my point was she could have at least mentioned to my wife that she was going to wipe the phone - wouldn't you think ? - and if you read again, I did admit that my wife should have done the backup herself - as I was anticipating a comment like yours.

@Gone: thanks for your input.

@easyride: who said the clerk should have done a backup ? my point was she could have at least mentioned to my wife that she was going to wipe the phone - wouldn't you think ? - and if you read again, I did admit that my wife should have done the backup herself - as I was anticipating a comment like yours.

I read you post again but see nothing about the wife backing up the data.and you infer that the shop should have done it before starting the reset process. I presume she is Thai and therefore has one huge advantage - knowing the language?.

The wife went back to the shop with a problematic phone; she didn't went back with the intention of resetting it.

The "imbecile" behind the counter suggests to reset the phone and assumes that everybody knows that that means that all data will be lost.

Even if you know that and tell the "imbecile": Please reset without data-loss...............a big sooorrrry will follow after you find out that the data are lost after all.

Thai know (and in the meantime a lot of foreigners know) that a Thai never gives information out of the blue. On very rare occasions someone is willing to think ahead and give you useful information without asking for it.

My understanding is that as Gone said above you have 7 days to return the item to the store where you bought it. After that you have to take up any issues you may have directly with the manufacturer under the warranty that usually comes with an electrical item. That's what I have been told whenever I have bought something at Tesco Lotus, anyway.

Is that correct?

I read you post again but see nothing about the wife backing up the data.and you infer that the shop should have done it before starting the reset process. I presume she is Thai and therefore has one huge advantage - knowing the language?.

Are you deliberately being a pedantic or does it just come natural?

Edited by Rimmer

Yes. In Thailand you have 7 days to return anything with the receipt of course.

That's what most reputable shops will give you, but technically it depends on what guarantee you have and where you bought from. Reputable shop - 7 days, then according to the guarantee; most (but not all) shops in TukCom, etc, - 7 minutes.

My understanding is that as Gone said above you have 7 days to return the item to the store where you bought it. After that you have to take up any issues you may have directly with the manufacturer under the warranty that usually comes with an electrical item. That's what I have been told whenever I have bought something at Tesco Lotus, anyway.

Is that correct?

Correct.

The Thai Consumer Protection Act (yes.....there is one) says that most purchases can be returned within 7 days.

Upon purchase.......please check the date on the receipt and take care that the staff fills out the guarantee-form incl. signature, date and stamp.

An extension of the 7-day-period is possible if you buy with a credit-card which has a 30-day-money-back-guarantee.

It may be obvious that items such as food, underwear, swimwear, etc can't be returned.

I love this forum so much for all the people who pay close attention to the details.

@easyride: I never inferred they should have backed it up, at least never meant to infer that - I wrote that she wiped the phone and there was no backup and if you look closer, I then asked for no comments on who was the real imbecile for not having made a backup - inferring my wife !!

My whole point was the store clerk should have at least advised my wife that she was going to wipe the phone. She took the phone to see how to resolve the lock and without notice wiped it clean. Never said anything to my wife - this is the/my issue.

If I misrepresented myself then it must be my poor use of angrid and I'm sorry for wasting your obviously very valuable time.

@ gone and Guderian and all the others - thanks for the advice - you are all correct - 7 days return.

A struggle but end result was the phone has been returned and all money returned.

FYI (and I hope I'm not taken to task about anything in this explanation); it was a samsung and was sold by a broker located near the AIS shop in the Tesco on Nth Pattaya road. It required the store manager being called on the phone who initially refused and during the course of the conversation verbally abused my wife. A police report was mentioned, apologies flowed and money returned.

Drama over on both fronts....I hope...

Edited by Rimmer
Font

City Hall has a "consumer protection department" -- from this thread:

I can confirm it can be very difficult to get any sort of support/warranty on products bought in Tukcom. I bought a cheap 7" Android tablet for my wife to watch movies on. It was prominently marked Samsung and at 2,700 baht obviously a fake. No problem with that, but two weeks later it would no longer charge, either through charger or USB. When I went back with it they refused to do anything about it, so I went to City Hall and asked assistance from the nice people in the consumer protection office. After a soft-spoken phone call I returned to the shop, and now they were all smiles and apologies and the tablet was repaired with no charge. The guy in City Hall directly suggested to buy electronics somewhere else in the future.

• Like 1

Are you deliberately being a pedantic or does it just come natural?

Oh, quite natural I assure you.