Issan Fishing Advice

meand

I brought my tacklebox with me last trip back to the US. I have been trying to fish in Issan in some little tributaries and even reservoirs, without much luck. I am not a beginner fisherman, but not advanced either. I have some flies that I used to use for trout that drag behind a bubble for trout (I know, not the purest way to fish) -- no luck. I have a bunch of lures, and bought a big frog lure (many hits seem to be by fish too small, but they are interested), and have used live frogs -- no luck (I actually caught 2 I dont know whats on a rubber lure that looked like a worm, both very tasty fish. I have tried the Thai bait system where you mold a bunch of breaded crap around a ridiculous contraption with about 8 hooks -- caught one small one on that, tasty too. But this is all after many many hours fishing. In fact, the last 10 times or so out it has been nothing. I'm not one to complain as I enjoy it even when catching nothing, but wondered if I can get some tips.

One last thing, I have heard (not seen) a probably catfish come up and eat daily at one spot, the fish sounds to be about the size of both of my legs. What may he be interested in?

Thanks.

Edited by meand

You can catch the pla duk by hooking a prawn or some fish (i.e. some smelly meat) on the hook. Use a single small inline lead. (setup: hook, hook length(4 inches or more), swivel, bead, small lead (eg. 5g, 10g etc) , mainline. This can also catch pla got deng sometimes and pla boo at night. If there are eels it will often catch them. Spinning with small lures will often catch you something but fish numbers are low in the wild.

For pla chin, yeesok, buek, nin etc that bread around a feeder is the best method. Scale up for the desired size of fish. It can take 10, 15 or more hours for a single one of these fish to even find your bait in the wild waters but it will be the most exciting fishing of your life should you hook a wild giant. 150kg bueks and 80kg pla chin are not uncommon in resrvoirs, it's just that it can take months.

• Like 1