Question Regarding My Contract (Renting Condo)

Dear folks,

I think I've made a mistake. I've signed a contract agreeing to pay for the renovation (building) not knowing how much it would cost or when I would have to pay for it.

I received a paper, which was slid under my door saying I have to pay 13333. 37 baht for this year, retroactive to January. But I've been here only since 1st May and it has to be paid for the 15th August T_T.

The close mentioning this was written on the side of the contract. When I asked the information counter, they said only the owners should be paying that amount. Not the renter.

So I'm wondering if I should try to negotiate with the owner or prepare to move and lose my 8000 baht deposit ?

Here is what is looks like for those who speak Thai (attached file).

Thank for your opinion on this.

I did not see any attachments so the specification of that bill is unknown. Find that out first.

If it is for the renovation then:

You could negotiate with the owner, but changes are slim since it is specifically mentioned in the contract.

Maybe the owner has some sympathy, you never know.

Ultimately the question is, do you like the place?

If that is the case just pay it and consider it a lesson.

We all make mistakes sometimes, nothing to do about that.

Edited by Khun Jean

...Property tax for 'rent' and before that common service fee.

It seems like you should only pay the service fee for the months you actually rent the property. The rest was probably due because the owner did not pay it on time.

Is your name on that bill?

Do you have a scan of that one too.

If it is for 'renovation' it would normally be for the owner as 'renovation' is most of the time for bigger maintenance like new tiles, windows elevator or whatever once in a long time changes.

Common service fee is normally for paying employees, electricity bill, normal maintenance and some for savings.

If some 'renovation' was needed the owners would have had a meeting and a vote. This has nothing to do with renters, and as such can not be billed to renters.

A service fee if not separately mentioned should be included in the rent. but TIT. You have to get it clear first, protect yourself.

BTW On my rental contract both the rental and service fee amounts are mentioned separately.

And why don't you have an English version of the contract?

I never ever signed something that was not officially translated so i could fully understand it.

I don't even trust my wife to translated legalese Thai to English for me. It is very difficult and the problems can arise from small subtleties.

For that reason i use standard contracts you can get in any bookstore. Everything separate then has to be written and becomes obvious that those have to be translated perfectly.

Although for a 6 months rental contract i would probably not do all of that and trust my instincts

Edited by Khun Jean