Air Card Questions

Cobrabiker

I am currently using TOT phone line for my internet, 3mbps, quite constant at 2.5mbps, I am now looking into aircard with unlimited plan as it can be used on laptop and phone and can move around too, since I have not used air card before, I would like to know how it works and does it often break connection? And

1) from dtac, there are 7.2 /21 /42 mbps, for 3G , what is the average actual speed that I will get?

2) for the base package, after 1 gb, speed will drop to 64 kbps, and for average 12 hours a day of internet, how soon will I use up that 1gb (give an estimate)?

3) which service provider has the best package and fastest speed? stable connection and least blocked sites?

4) what USB device is the best?

Thanks

1) you can expect 5 megabit/sec maximum at best condition.

2) the 1GB will be certainly be reached in a day or two.

3)mybycat is the cheapest

4)all of them are the same, check if the WCDMA band does match your chosen provider.

I use Detac unlimited and have a problem occasionally, but I think it's more the internet it's self rather than Detac because I never have a problem signing in. Connection is where the problem has always been.

The sites blocked by my understanding is done by the "moral police" and not the provider. That's what I was told.

Hi NHJ, thanks for your answers, do you know which one has a broader coverage nationwide? Also which has the best unlimited plan, that does not drop to crawling speed once the download gb is used up?

The sites blocked by my understanding is done by the "moral police" and not the provider. That's what I was told

Hi Ralph, I am not too sure either as I read it from some forum saying that some provider has lesser blocked sites.

FYI, you may be able to use your phone as a modem (tethered via USB or Bluetooth) and/or as a Mobile AP (creating a Wifi hotspot) to share the mobile broadband connection.

Can you share any details re: your application, location(s)? Do you plan to use mobile broadband for PC connectivity during the times you are away from your home? Will you need to share the SIM, perhaps with calling and text, with a phone/smartphone?

There are many, many, many possible solutions - but a lot depends on location, usage, requirements, budget.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/425412-smartphone-service-plans/

1.) Download, and upload, speeds will vary based on availability/capacity/location et al. Assuming you have 3G coverage then on average you might expect to see 2 Mbps (D)/750 Kbps (U), for some locations I see peak rates of 7 Mbps/4 Mbps. If you drop down to fair-use limits, after reaching your upload/download cap, then you may be capped at 64 Kbps or 128 Kbps or 384 Kbps. If you have GSM data, that is no 3G data coverage, then you might expect speeds of 150 Kbps.

2.) There is no way to answer your question without understanding your application usage. If you check emails then 1 GB could last for 30 days, if you stream 1080 video then it might last a few days.

3.) There is no way to definitively answer this question as there is no best package per se, and speeds can vary greatly.

4.) Most USB aircards are fairly similar in performance, where they might vary is in the total number of 3G bands supported, and the UI. Being able to send USSD codes, and SMSes from the UI can be advantageous and not all cards/UIs allow for this.

TOT/MVNOs, My by CAT/TrueMove H (same/same), AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy all offer mobile broadband services.

Hi NHJ, thanks for your answers, do you know which one has a broader coverage nationwide? Also which has the best unlimited plan, that does not drop to crawling speed once the download gb is used up?

i would say nowadays they all tend to have the same coverage, but check the links in this page to get the coverage for your area per operator.

For me the best will be mybycat but all operators will reduce the speed drastically some like AIS to 64kbps per second!(back to the dial up time)

i would say nowadays they all tend to have the same coverage, but check the links in this page to get the coverage for your area per operator.

For me the best will be mybycat but all operators will reduce the speed drastically some like AIS to 64kbps per second!(back to the dial up time)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lomatopo, thanks for the links. My application is mostly for notebook from email to streaming videos, facebook game and basically everything, so am I right to say that home line internet is still better than aircard for download speed, as I average 2.5Mbps regardless of usage, and like you have stated outside 3g coverage area, it will dorp to 150kbps.

so am I right to say that home line internet is still better than aircard for download speed,

Yes, without a doubt. You should not replace your current fixed-line broadband connection with a mobile broadband connection. You would potentially pay more for a lesser service, and would also have to deal with limitations on speed. I thought maybe you were looking to complement your current fixed-line connection, perhaps when you were away from your home.

I thought maybe you were looking to complement your current fixed-line connection

I thought initially it could replace my 2.5Mbps when I read about the 21/42 Mbps aircard, thanks for clearing it up, and thanks all for your input.