Right Or Wrong ? Things You See.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they certainly would not get any service at a government office! laugh.png

There are some people who should remain fully clothed .... rolleyes.gifw00t.gif .....

It is a holiday island yes, but I think this type of dressing should be confined to relevant areas.You are right Jimmy, see what service they get from government offices.

I have seen them walk in shirtless into banks, walking shirtless around Tesco & some ladies in attire 3 sizes too small & don't leave much to the imagination. Reminds me of these candid pics you get of shoppers at Walmart.

• Like 1

Sorry, but these things are totally out of order once you are off the beach.

Would anyone walk around the shops in Leningrad, Beijing, Calais, or even the Isle of Wight dressed like that?

I sometimes fail to 'bite my tongue' when I see it in Tesco. (I have never seen it in Big C?)

• Like 2

Today between Bophut lights & the markets on the ring road, a young lady strutting down the road in a skimpy bikini.

Almost/fairly acceptable

Between Bophut & Chaweng on the ring road again, an elderly gentleman, no shirt, pants hanging down , exposing that he was wearing a G string.

Definitely not acceptable!

Young ladies in bikini tops & bottoms on back of bikes with their shirtless boyfriends / husbands.

The ones on the back acceptable but the ones on the front not acceptable!

Am I in the minority thinking that some decorum is to be observed in areas away from the beach?

Only kidding Rooo !

Edited by nod

It is funny that you hardly ever see a Thai lady or man walking down the ringroad in just a bikini or Thai man shirtless.

It would be frownedupon by other thais.

On a beach orby a pool maybe but walking down the ring road is a bit disrepectfull that is just my personal opinion.

I don't likelooking aten walingaround with their tops of on a hot day in engalnd so i do not like it hear.

a woman ina binkini welli suppose itdepends if she is fit but it is still dispresectfull.

i wouldnotlike my daughter walking round like that and if a women was to be attacked then.........well they are not really protecting themselvesby showing off their bodies to the public so acase where people left there brains back home in their home country.

it's hot and it's a tourist place, people are going to the beach(makes sense), then going to shop at tesco, fisherman, chaweng, whatever or going back to the hotel(after all they maybe don't swim near their hotel).

It's perfectly normal to wear a bikini, or for a man to wear only a short and no shirt.

where the beach is, the clothes aren't :)

Would anyone walk around the shops in Leningrad, Beijing, Calais, or even the Isle of Wight dressed like that?

I sometimes fail to 'bite my tongue' when I see it in Tesco. (I have never seen it in Big C?)

Leningrad......? You can see hordes of tourists like that at beach resorts in Italy, Spain, Greece....tourists come here to enjoy the heat after many months of cold European climate and Samui has dedicated itself as a hundred percent tourist island, maybe the most touristic island in Thailand (in Phuket there are also other conditions), catering exactly that kind of tourist.

Well they certainly would not get any service at a government office! laugh.png

There are some people who should remain fully clothed .... rolleyes.gifw00t.gif .....

It is a holiday island yes, but I think this type of dressing should be confined to relevant areas.You are right Jimmy, see what service they get from government offices.

I have seen them walk in shirtless into banks, walking shirtless around Tesco & some ladies in attire 3 sizes too small & don't leave much to the imagination. Reminds me of these candid pics you get of shoppers at Walmart.

Oh yes, Walmart candid pictures.... I think these people have saved so much money at Walmart they can afford to come here ..... and spoil the view biggrin.pngwhistling.gifAttention Walmart Shoppers! Please don't spoil the view!!!! wink.png

i think the worst thing I have seen here, is a "white couple" "doing it" in the water at a beach that was not that quiet, and too in front of their children, probably around 10 or 12 years old...crazy.gifblink.png But too I've seen a white man and Thai lady "at it" in the water too.... rolleyes.gif OMG!

Most Thai's don't even take their clothes off when they go swimming, I've never figured that out...

Tesco and some of the Air-con shopping areas are usuallly so cold, I don't know how people could walk around with so few clothes.... A common sign in North America (I know) is "NO SHIRT no SERVICE"sad.png

Totally agree and totally unaceptable, dont even understand why this needs to be brought up and discussed! You are in Thailand......and whether BKK or USM, its a no-no. End of story!

• Like 1

i dont know about samui, but on koh phangan, thai males are frequently shirtless.

As for bikini tops, why not, it is a holiday island, though some common sense applies. proper shorts are a must though away from the beach, for both males and females

Edited by nocturn

Anything is acceptable except for budgie smugglers on anyone beyond teenage years.

In the unacceptable bracket I would also include topless, very large, older European women wearing a thong. sick.gif

In the unacceptable bracket I would also include topless, very large, older European men wearing a thong. bah.gif

• Like 1

Being a beach "tourist" destination doesn't define what people can or cannot wear in certain places. it's the culture, law, do's, do nots. If people choose to be ignorant and no enforcement to do otherwise, nothing will change. Personally I just think it is totally ignorant and I cringe when i know it is someone representing my home country. Even round Wat Plai Laem, which is a total p*ss take, walnuts in a condom couldn't put himself in a bigger bag for half an hour.

Dubai is a massive tourist destination bikinis and budgie smugglers are tolerated round pools or the beach, but you wouldn't walk down the street in a white sheer cock pouch because you would get arrested.

At least there are some youth that see the side of it us older gentry do;

Edited by BangrakBob

Totally agree and totally unaceptable, dont even understand why this needs to be brought up and discussed! You are in Thailand......and whether BKK or USM, its a no-no. End of story!

It's not the end of the story at all. BKK and USM are completely different, and you will frequently see Thai men shirtless and Thai women in bikinis both here and on Koh Pang Gan.

Things are different on Samui. This island is completely dependent on tourism and there are very few Thais that do anything else here. They don't care what tourists wear as long as they have money.

Edited by ydraw
  • Like 1

They don't care what tourists wear as long as they have money.

large net thrown assumption, with some truth to it but that is not true of all Thais here. Many would rather have never seen a tourist here ever, no matter what the attire.

Many would rather have never seen a tourist here ever, no matter what the attire.

Most Thais on this Island are here because of tourism. Before the tourists started coming here, there was nobody here except a few coconut farmers and fishermen. All of them are now filthy rich since they owned the land where the resorts are now.

So I doubt there's many Thais at all in Samui who "would rather have never seen a tourist here ever". This island was built by tourism, and most of the Thais that live here are not locals, they came here chasing tourist dollars.

Coming down the hill from Naton towards Maenam this afternoon I encountered a clown driving an open backed pickup laden to the gunwales with gas cylinders overtaking half a dozen vehicles in order to get a good run up. On seeing me he panicked, causing the vehicle to rock violently from side to side, almost to the point of rolling over. Had it done so wifey & I would've been Guy Fawkes.

I caught the lot on dashcam but I can no longer be bothered to upload the footage.

Being a beach "tourist" destination doesn't define what people can or cannot wear in certain places. it's the culture, law, do's, do nots. If people choose to be ignorant and no enforcement to do otherwise, nothing will change. Personally I just think it is totally ignorant and I cringe when i know it is someone representing my home country. Even round Wat Plai Laem, which is a total p*ss take, walnuts in a condom couldn't put himself in a bigger bag for half an hour.

Dubai is a massive tourist destination bikinis and budgie smugglers are tolerated round pools or the beach, but you wouldn't walk down the street in a white sheer cock pouch because you would get arrested.

umm, yeah.

Dubai/Samui

Great parallel that, very relevant, not a stretch at all.

umm, yeah.

Dubai/Samui

Great parallel that, very relevant, not a stretch at all.

"Being a beach "tourist" destination doesn't define what people can or cannot wear in certain places. it's the culture, law, do's, do nots"

Sorry where was the parallel? It was an one example of tolerance levels towards visitor behaviour in a different beach tourist destination.

Many would rather have never seen a tourist here ever, no matter what the attire.

Most Thais on this Island are here because of tourism. Before the tourists started coming here, there was nobody here except a few coconut farmers and fishermen. All of them are now filthy rich since they owned the land where the resorts are now.

So I doubt there's many Thais at all in Samui who "would rather have never seen a tourist here ever". This island was built by tourism, and most of the Thais that live here are not locals, they came here chasing tourist dollars.

I don't disagree, land owners and some farmers have done well, and maybe not "many" as in majority would rather have not seen tourists but there definitely are some who enjoyed their life as it was before. I've spoken to some old folk Samuians who don't have a lot of money, still work and speak of those times as better for them, on their beautiful island with all it's bountiful resources.