Right Or Wrong ? Things You See.

First, Samui is not Thailand. The mores here are different.

My feeling is that being a Disneyland-like tourist island, walking around in swimwear or in beach attire (or lack of it) is the norm except in indoor situations like in Tesco or Fuji Restaurant or other similar establishments. Even in Samuiland, there are limits that ought to be obvious. You would not go to the Bangkok Airways airport here with no shirt on as a man or in a bikini top as a woman.

But if you think that walking on the road is offensive without a shirt then you are puritanical and a killjoy.

why is it so hard for a fornag when going into an inclosed area for break fast to just put a top on. it is only a t-shirt. walking along a beach road i can accept but in inclosed places away from the beach is just a piss take. I like that fact that Samui is not like Pattaya with old men and young forangs covered in tattoos with their tops of living in one acholic den and moving to another with some crack woman by his side tell her how much he loves her and would kill him self or anyone else if they tried to take his crack bird., You let things slip and you get a dump called Pattaya

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they certainly would not get any service at a government office! laugh.png

There are some people who should remain fully clothed .... rolleyes.gifw00t.gif .....

It is a holiday island yes, but I think this type of dressing should be confined to relevant areas.You are right Jimmy, see what service they get from government offices.

I have seen them walk in shirtless into banks, walking shirtless around Tesco & some ladies in attire 3 sizes too small & don't leave much to the imagination. Reminds me of these candid pics you get of shoppers at Walmart.

Well I take off my shirt and walk into Lotus,etc, and I ALWAYS walk out with atleast one girls phone number. It works for me and I've got laid lots In LOS trust me.....

There are some people who should remain fully clothed .... rolleyes.gifw00t.gif .....

It is a holiday island yes, but I think this type of dressing should be confined to relevant areas.You are right Jimmy, see what service they get from government offices.

I have seen them walk in shirtless into banks, walking shirtless around Tesco & some ladies in attire 3 sizes too small & don't leave much to the imagination. Reminds me of these candid pics you get of shoppers at Walmart.

Well I take off my shirt and walk into Lotus,etc, and I ALWAYS walk out with atleast one girls phone number. It works for me and I've got laid lots In LOS trust me.....

Now that makes sense, might try that to be a chick magnate.

Well I take off my shirt and walk into Lotus,etc, and I ALWAYS walk out with at least one girls phone number. It works for me and I've got laid lots In LOS trust me.......

Hope you are wearing a little "hoddie" on your little woodie... biggrin.png You just don't know where they have been.... w00t.gifwhistling.gif

magnate ? which of these categories do you fall into? I had to look this word up.... thinking you meant "magnet" biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

mag·nate

   [mag-neyt, -nit] Show IPA

noun

a person of great influence, importance, or standing in a particular enterprise, field of business, etc.: a railroad magnate.

a person of eminence or distinction in any field: literary magnates.

a member of the former upper house in either the Polish or Hungarian parliament.

.... . just don't let Mrs Rooo find out... your eminence......wink.pngbiggrin.png

I tried going topless once - little children ran screaming to their mothers, young girls laughed until they wet themselves and older womer threw up! sick.gif The only phone number that I got was fom a plastic surgeon.

• Like 2

I tried going topless once - little children ran screaming to their mothers, young girls laughed until they wet themselves and older womer threw up! sick.gif The only phone number that I got was fom a plastic surgeon.

Spell check not working this morning, Tropo ??? biggrin.pngtongue.png I hope you keep your dongle covered up.... whistling.gifwink.png

We all have seen the Lamai crowd of farangs driving around on motorbikes not wearing crash helmits, with no shirts and girls with Bikini's on with there dogs on the bike trying to be Hip , i think i'ts about time the police booked a few , only in Meanam i see poilce stop bikes and issue tickets, for not wearing helmits.

We all have seen the Lamai crowd of farangs driving around on motorbikes not wearing crash helmits, with no shirts and girls with Bikini's on with there dogs on the bike trying to be Hip , i think i'ts about time the police booked a few , only in Meanam i see poilce stop bikes and issue tickets, for not wearing helmits.

Oh! you see these road blocks in Lipa Noi at the Raja ferry turn, in Nathon along the water front of the one way system... they can pop up anywhere! Maenam seems to be most frequent, although that might be because it is the part of the ring road we use most....?

It's not just motorbike helmets, it's for mirrors and seat belts too,in vehicles they are checking....toooo! .... wink.png

Do the police know where Lamai is?

Two more favourite spots for helmet checks are 1 - outside the police box on the ring road just south of Tesco Lotus - Chewang (next to the RC church) and 2 - Bangrak - near Samui Mermaid and what used to be called the Dollar Cafe.

The more the merrier I say.

(Wear a helmet - you know that it makes sense thumbsup.gif )

First, Samui is not Thailand. The mores here are different.

My feeling is that being a Disneyland-like tourist island, walking around in swimwear or in beach attire (or lack of it) is the norm except in indoor situations like in Tesco or Fuji Restaurant or other similar establishments. Even in Samuiland, there are limits that ought to be obvious. You would not go to the Bangkok Airways airport here with no shirt on as a man or in a bikini top as a woman.

But if you think that walking on the road is offensive without a shirt then you are puritanical and a killjoy.

Insert, for me it's not offensive but it does show lack of taste and understanding of local culture.

That's my point. The "local culture" in Samui is not the same as in say, Surin, for example. Samui is a big amusement park. There is far more cultural latitude here than other places (excepting other, similar places like Phuket, etc.). Walking along the beach road in Chaweng with no shirt or a bikini top is nothing. And the Thai merchants, even if they do feel a waft of "that's a bit rude," know which side their bread is buttered on and who spends money here.

By the way, I saw a lady yesterday on the beach wearing a bikini made from a US flag. Should I have been offended?

EDIT: why are some posting as if this thread was about helmets? Bizarre.

Edited by insertmembernamehere

By the way, I saw a lady yesterday on the beach wearing a bikini made from a US flag. Should I have been offended?

Birdman, was it Nicki Minaj? Guess not, otherwise the silicone police would've been alerted. Ah well.

Rooo can you please tell me why this post was deleted, it's not in any way offensive.

Thank you

photo-thumb-120688.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Boyce on Today, 09:14 in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao

Rooo can you please tell me why this post was deleted, it's not in any way offensive.

Thank you

photo-thumb-120688.jpg?_r=0 Posted by Boyce on Today, 09:14 in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao

Deleted? I don't think so, it should be # 72.

Thank you

??? #69 on mine

Thank you

??? #69 on mine

Thanks for that Yorkie. I have a different screen ,

Oh! you see these road blocks in Lipa Noi at the Raja ferry turn, in Nathon along the water front of the one way system... they can pop up anywhere! Maenam seems to be most frequent, although that might be because it is the part of the ring road we use most....?

It's not just motorbike helmets, it's for mirrors and seat belts too,in vehicles they are checking....toooo! .... wink.png

To add to road side checks there was one at Bophut traffic lights this morning.... one Thai guy getting frisked too, I wonder what for?

I guess Lamai has too many escape routes..... rolleyes.gifwink.png

So I was wrong. Saw a man/youth actually try to get on the minibus at Samui airport to board the plane without a shirt on. The ground staff told him to put on a shirt. He had gone through all the stations like this before being stopped, finally. What could possibly have been going on, if anything, in his mind?