Are There 2 Types Of Thai Chinese Here In Thailand?

Holysteel

I heard there is two types of Thai Chinese here. One is the better well off ranging from middle class to the high elites society. They are the real Thai Chinese. The Bangkokian Thais, The Yaowarat Thais. The real Central Thai Chinese people.

There is also another type of Thai Chinese. They are the low class Thai Chinese, ranging from poor rural to low class society. They come mainly from the hilltribe of Chiangrai & Chiang Mai. These people are the outcasted class of the China society. They mainly deal in drugs, prostitution, growing teas etc. They were called the 'Chin Hor' by the Thai people here. I observed not much positive comments from the Thais on these people.

I seen alot of these Chiangmai hilltribes Chinese girls here in hatyai working as hookers in restaurant style ktv & brothels. Some come from Burma. I have seen alot of these low class Chinese claiming to be the Central Thai Chinese to unknowing tourists. They claimed to be the Yawarat Thai, The Bangkokian Thai.

Dun they think what they are claiming to be. Are giving the Central real Thai Chinese a bad name ?

Perhaps some of these people are taking private university in bangkok. And voila over night they are a Uni student. And trade their profession in this pretense set up.

Perhaps some of you guys 'fake' Thai Chinese Gf was a 'Chin Hor' before ? Dun be fooled guys. They live high up in the hills.

Take care

that is just the tip of the iceberg

when my wife speaks with a "chinese" the first question is which Chinese. There are a 100 different one and everyone of course believes to be the best one...

• Like 1

I once had a very short relationship with a girl who couldn't help keep telling me she was Thai Chinese. She was well educated (for Thai standards) , had rich parents however she was a complete cow.

I couldn't give a flying fart where a person comes from be it China or Burma if they good people then they get my respect.

Don't be so obsessed about a girls origins.

• Like 1

Does this mean that I can no longer boast about my wife’s hiso Chinese ancestry? And the reality is, that she descends from a load of hill tribe rabble?

This has hit me hard.

I will be contacting my lawyer first thing in the morning. The shame of it all. How can I ever face my friends and neighbors again?

Edited by Beetlejuice

There's loads of different Chinese here. If you really want to go back into the roots, chances are that a huge percentage of the population have connections with peoples in certain parts of China. Despite the Chinese witch hunt that some westerners seem to pursue, the whole history of Thailand pretty much develops with the spread of traders along the waterways and trading routes from southern China, integrating with the local peoples and adopting a common language. There's no such thing as a 'pure' Thai race.

I think the 'Chin Hor' of the OP are remnants of the Kuomintang who ended up in Thailand and were never awarded citizenship. They're not hilltribes. They are 'real' Chinese who ended up in the mountains of Thailand. I would imagine that the latest generation are more heavily Thai influenced. Why would they claim to be Central Thai Chinese or Yawarat Thai when it means absolutely nothing to tourists??

Low-class Chinese are known as 'jek'. It's quite an insulting term and if you think the Chinese elite are lording it over your ordinary Thai, well even your darkest Isan labourer ranks higher than a 'jek'.