China Visa & Flights

I need to apply for a visa too visit China so checked the embassy website and found this... "For a tourist applicant, in principle he shall evidence his financial capability of covering the travelling expenses in China, and when necessary, provide the air, train or ship tickets to the heading country/region after leaving China.".

Does anyone know what "when necessary" means in this context? I'd rather get the visa before paying for flights and hotels just in case it's refused for some reason.

Also, my gf found some info saying that the background of the photo needs to be blue. Is this true?

Is there likely to be any problem for a Thai citizen getting a visa for China? How much money do they need to show in the bank and how long does it have to have been there.

Also, is it likely that a travel agent in Chinatown will have better flight deals than the internet? If so, do you know of any good travel agents in that area?

1.you did not say to where in China-and the country is quite big. best deals are-no need to even ask- on AirAsia during its sales. No, CT dealers will not get any lower as that.

2.it may also come as shell-shock, but CN does a titfortat approach-thats just 1 reason why giving full details-like citizenship, is so important and tipical for TV forgotten. This mirros what your country wants to see from CN-visitors.Thats why USAers pay 140US$ for a visa, and EU-now have to provide full printed details of flights, hotels etc. Your idea to do reverse bookings makes not really sense anymore.

1.you did not say to where in China-and the country is quite big. best deals are-no need to even ask- on AirAsia during its sales. No, CT dealers will not get any lower as that.

2.it may also come as shell-shock, but CN does a titfortat approach-thats just 1 reason why giving full details-like citizenship, is so important and tipical for TV forgotten. This mirros what your country wants to see from CN-visitors.Thats why USAers pay 140US$ for a visa, and EU-now have to provide full printed details of flights, hotels etc. Your idea to do reverse bookings makes not really sense anymore.

Going to Shanghai, so not possible to get Air Asia.

One UK citizen and one Thai citizen.

I just got my Chinese Tourist Visa, what a hassle, took three visits to the embassy before they were happy with the documentation (not including the courier going to collect it).

As I noted in the other thread in the end I needed:-

Both visa forms A and B

Confirmed flights

Confirmed hotel booking

A non-immigrant visa of some form (if you have any type of Thai tourist visa or visa exemption, forget getting a China visa)

Your Work Permit (I'm on a work extension here, don't know how married or retirees will get on)

A Certificate of Employment (ditto above)

Copies of your PP photo page and permission to stay / extension

All to obtain a visa valid for 12 whole days stay!

EDIT, sorry, omitted the fact that I travel on a UK passport.

I just got my Chinese Tourist Visa, what a hassle, took three visits to the embassy before they were happy with the documentation (not including the courier going to collect it).

Both visa forms A and B

Confirmed flights

Confirmed hotel booking

A non-immigrant visa of some form (if you have any type of Thai tourist visa or visa exemption, forget getting a China visa)

Your Work Permit (I'm on a work extension here, don't know how married or retirees will get on)

Wow! This was for a tourist visa? Unreal. I haven't applied for a visa here in many years, but back then, it was a breeze. I did this in Bangkok in 2003/4. And again in 2007.

Seems to have really changed!!!!

You can fly Air Asia if you want to. They fly to Hangzhou and then bus passengers to Shanghai - 2 hour bus trip.

I recently purchased a Bangkok - Hangzhou - Bangkok ticket with Hainan Air for USD550.00. It's easy to get the bus yourself from Hangzhou airport to Shanghai (separate bus from Air Asia).

Edited by laowai1960

paperwork i have says passport picture light background, cheapest flight i got using kayak with sri lanken air to guangzhou 7000 baht return. 2 visits to Bangkok and details of where staying address telephone numbers for duration. All details about how i can stay in Thailand ontop of 4 pages plus return air ticket so decided if the Paranoid Republic of China is such a pain they can shove it. USA citezens visa price double others. Why they dont just let people in with return ticket for 1 month or do visa on a arrival i dont know.

google v2011A china and you should get the form for tourist. On the hotel side i would book through agoda with a hotel that give free cancelation so you can give them a hotel address and telephone number to check then cancel it once you have visa and choose what you like. i wanted to travel around but seems to much hassle.

You can fly Air Asia if you want to. They fly to Hangzhou and then bus passengers to Shanghai - 2 hour bus trip.

I recently purchased a Bangkok - Hangzhou - Bangkok ticket with Hainan Air for USD550.00. It's easy to get the bus yourself from Hangzhou airport to Shanghai (separate bus from Air Asia).

I already found flights for around USD400 each, so USD550 with Air Asia to an airport 2 hours away doesn't seem so good.

Both visa forms A and B

Confirmed flights

Confirmed hotel booking

The application form notes says you need to show a visa that allows you to live in Thailand, so a non-immigrant visa for retirement seems like it should be ok. There is no mention of a work permit. I'll check this week though. I'm not going to book flights and hotel unless I'm pretty certain that I can get a visa. I can book and cancel hotels but it's usually impossible to cancel flights. If they don't want me or make it exceedingly difficult I'll take my money elsewhere. I really can't be bothered with the hassle of visiting countries that don't seem to want me there.

I already knew that you couldn't apply for a China visit of you have a tourist visa for Thailand. I think the reasoning is that if you buy a return ticket you may not be allowed back into Thailand. It's probably the same for all countries and not just Thailand. It's a strange world that we live in where many countries seem desperate for money yet do their best to keep tourists away.

Edited by davejones

Has anyone from this forum that has a retirement visa been to China recently. I need to make sure that I can actually get a visa before i book any flights. I've tried emailing and phoning the embassy, but they don't answer the phone or reply to emails. Pathetic really.

I am visiting china on a stopover and don't require a visa to leave the airport because we are only there for 12 hours. However because my wife is thai she needs a transit visa to leave the airport with me. So now I need to get a visa for her which can't be applied for early because it has a 3 month expiary date and can only be applied for in bangkok. Yep the embassy sure makes visiting china hard. Well for thai they do.

I am visiting china on a stopover and don't require a visa to leave the airport because we are only there for 12 hours. However because my wife is thai she needs a transit visa to leave the airport with me. So now I need to get a visa for her which can't be applied for early because it has a 3 month expiary date and can only be applied for in bangkok. Yep the embassy sure makes visiting china hard. Well for thai they do.

I had a stopover in Shanghai with my Thai gf and we were both allowed through immigration without visas. From what I could see, everyone on the flight was let through and there were all sorts of nationalities on there. If I was you I wouldn't bother with a visa. The worst that van happen is that you have to stay airside.

I'im Chinese who have been living here for ages. My husband is Filipino but carries US passport as well and he also needs a visa To enter China. What we have done was to submit the following papers:

his work permit, non-B visa, copy of the first page of passbook which contains 50,000฿in the bank account(not all the nationals are required but filipino! It's better to bring and u can borrow money from your friend if u don't have enough ,as long as u can have fun there) !application form a&b , Photos, Round way ticket, Marriage certificate(I just brought it with me, it's unnecessary) ! 1200฿ for many nationals , Thai citizen is charged 1000฿ only, US citizen is charged 4500฿. Hence, he used Filipino passport to apply for visa coz its far more cheaper..

It takes 3 working days to get the visa, however, u can choose rush service and embassy would charge the service fee by extral 300฿ only. The office hour is from 9am---12am am only

, pls get there ASAP. If u choose the rush service, u can get the visa at 3pm at the same day u d apply ...

All the nationals re required round way ticket and non -b visa. and work permit.

If u don't have thoses qualifications and u can fly to HK, anyway flying to HK is much cheaper,7000฿

All the nationals re required round way ticket and non -b visa. and work permit.

Are you sure about that? If it's true then it means that no-one living here on a retirement visa can get a visa to China unless they go back to their home country first. The notes for the application form only say you need a visa that shows you are resident in Thailand. It doesn't mention a work visa at all.

Edited by davejones

Are you sure about that? If it's true then it means that no-one living here on a retirement visa can get a visa to China unless they go back to their home country first. The notes for the application form only say you need a visa that shows you are resident in Thailand. It doesn't mention a work visa at all.

Sorry. not all the people need it...I only know people who are working here need thoses papers to apply the visa..in your case, Recently, I heard that most overseas Chinese embassies and cosulates require that passport holders from a third country must provide their resident permit or work visa to apply for a China visa. Hope it can help u

those people who have stayed in Thailand on retirement visa and apply for a visa to China need provide your original passport, application form for visa application both V2011A and V2011B forms, photo, return ticket and hotel reservation in China, and your thai visa.

Those people who are staying here on Non-B visa need provide some papers as stated above, just check it out.

I just read this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-22/china-asks-tourists-for-invites-hotel-reservations-to-get-visas.html

China has tightened visa rules for visitors, adding requirements for a letter of invitation and proof of hotel reservations in a move that could slow its push to become the world’s biggest tourism destination.

Travelers applying for tourist visas, must submit a letter from an “authorized tourism unit,” company or person inviting them to China, along with a photocopy of their round-trip ticket and hotel reservation, according to rules posted on the website of China’s embassy in the U.S.

I just read this:

http://www.bloomberg...-get-visas.html

China has tightened visa rules for visitors, adding requirements for a letter of invitation and proof of hotel reservations in a move that could slow its push to become the world’s biggest tourism destination.

Travelers applying for tourist visas, must submit a letter from an “authorized tourism unit,” company or person inviting them to China, along with a photocopy of their round-trip ticket and hotel reservation, according to rules posted on the website of China’s embassy in the U.S.

That's interesting. I didn't see it on the Embassy website though, although it may be hidden in there somewhere. I plan to visit the embassy and ask my questions in person.

I think if you read that article, it says it hasn't been enforced yet...and they're not sure how strictly they will be enforced now. Changing times for sure!

The new visa materials were not demanded before Aug. 1, according to visa.ywpw.com, a Texas-based agency that helps customers obtain visas to China. China’s embassies and consulates in countries including Japan, Thailand and New Zealand also posted the new rules on their websites.

• 3 weeks later...

Both visa forms A and B

Confirmed flights

Confirmed hotel booking

The application form notes says you need to show a visa that allows you to live in Thailand, so a non-immigrant visa for retirement seems like it should be ok. There is no mention of a work permit. I'll check this week though. I'm not going to book flights and hotel unless I'm pretty certain that I can get a visa. I can book and cancel hotels but it's usually impossible to cancel flights. If they don't want me or make it exceedingly difficult I'll take my money elsewhere. I really can't be bothered with the hassle of visiting countries that don't seem to want me there.

I already knew that you couldn't apply for a China visit of you have a tourist visa for Thailand. I think the reasoning is that if you buy a return ticket you may not be allowed back into Thailand. It's probably the same for all countries and not just Thailand. It's a strange world that we live in where many countries seem desperate for money yet do their best to keep tourists away.

The fact is, most westerners, ASEAN citizens, Japanese and South Koreans amongst others (and Hong Kong and Macau SAR passport holders) can receive visa-free entry upon entering Thailand. Therefore, it's flawed logic to suggest that you can't re-enter Thailand after visiting China. Of course you can. The Chinese embassy and consulate officials should take a look around them to see just how many foreigners there are in Thailand. Sure, some of them are expats but most are tourists. There wouldn't be this many tourists if it were difficult to enter Thailand.

I just started another thread about applying for a Chinese tourist visa as a tourist in Thailand. I have previously lived and worked in Thailand on non-B visas, but not currently. Based on these responses, even though I have a sponsor in China who could send me an invitation letter, would I not even be allowed to apply for a Chinese tourist visa in Bangkok or Chiang Mai?

Is this a new regulation (in line with the current changes) or has this been the case for a while now? In Phnom Penh I was able to apply for a tourist visa 2 years ago by handing my passport to my hotel; I also gave them 1 photograph and the required fee. I paid the fast processing fee and after handing in my passport at 8, by 5pm my hotel manager gave my passport back to me with visa in hand.

I know times have changed (at least for now, due to political reasons; I think the current requirements are similar to the Olympics and other "sensitive" times) but should I consider fedexing my passport down to Australia just to get a Chinese tourist visa? It doesn't say anything about not being able to apply as a tourist on either the Chinese Embassy Bangkok, Chinese consulate Chiang Mai or the following website: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/thailand/

Both visa forms A and B

Confirmed flights

Confirmed hotel booking

The fact is, most westerners, ASEAN citizens, Japanese and South Koreans amongst others (and Hong Kong and Macau SAR passport holders) can receive visa-free entry upon entering Thailand. Therefore, it's flawed logic to suggest that you can't re-enter Thailand after visiting China. Of course you can. The Chinese embassy and consulate officials should take a look around them to see just how many foreigners there are in Thailand. Sure, some of them are expats but most are tourists. There wouldn't be this many tourists if it were difficult to enter Thailand.

You can book a flight on the THAI airways website and hold the booking so no payment is required. You show that booking (within 72 hours of the booking being made) to the consulate or embassy and then you don't have to take any action; the flight will be cancelled by the system and you haven't provided any credit card details and thus haven't been charged a penny. This way you can still enter overland or change airlines. I wouldn't be wasting my time and money booking non-refundable tickets like Air Asia, even if they're cheap or with an inflexible airline like Lufthansa (granted they don't fly from Thailand to China, but I'm just trying to make a point) where you would still be required to pay at least 1,200 THB or EUR 30 to hold your booking and then only for 48 hours. Therefore, find an airline that can hold your booking without requiring immediate payment. You can also go to a travel agent and do the same thing. Not sure if you can make a booking without paying a deposit through a travel agent though; find out and if the answer is no, go back online and book THAI Airways. Note that you can only use the pay later option on THAI if you book a flight at least a week I think it is in advance, otherwise the system will default to pay by credit card option, which you don't want as it defeats the whole purpose. Another less interesting option is booking a FULL fare economy or business class ticket which can be cancelled without any penalty. Check the conditions very carefully, because many airlines, including THAI don't have such an option. Even the least restrictive economy or business class fares will still come with a 2000 THB cancellation fee.

I recently asked family in China to send the usual invitation letter but they told me that due to being a US citizen, China would no longer issue me a tourist visa while I am in Thailand. Can anyone confirm China is refusing tourist visas for US citizens unless they apply in USA?

@asiaexpat, that's the same question I've been asking. I now have an invitation letter and copy of the invitor's ID and won't be needing to go down the whole hotel booking and air ticket road, but even so, the greater question is despite what other posters have said on this thread is it still possible for a foreigner on a Thai tourist visa or visa exemption to obtain a Chinese tourist visa in Bangkok (with the right documents) or will they say no? Sure, you could say why don't I call them or go to the embassy to find out, but unfortunately, the embassy is a bit far away from where I am now so I'd rather get a relatively difinitive answer based on recent experiences first. If all else fails, I'll simply mail my passport back home and get the visa that way.

BTW in general, Bangkok has not been known as a post where foreigners without residency are refused Chinese visas. That title generally goes to Hanoi. It could just be however, that due to the current (hopefully temporary) political situation and other factors that have resulted in Chinese consular missions abroad tightening up visa issuance, that for now at least, they won't issue any tourist visas to non-resident foreigners at all.

Could anyone also tell us about the situation in Chiang Mai and perhaps Vientiane, Laos? If Bangkok proves problematic, how about applying in one of those two posts?

Edited by Tomtomtom69